Domo 77- Wheaton
2040 South Naperville Rd
Wheaton, IL 60189Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Domo 77- Wheaton
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.domo77.com/
- Phone: 6306903277
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Eddy Ho
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sushi catering available. Please contact the manager for more information.
- Entertainment: Enjoy a delicious meal with your own entertaining personal chef right at your table.
A word from Domo 77- Wheaton
Fun & Taste! Fresh steak, seafood and sushi prepared right at your table with your own entertaining personal chef! Serving the greater Chicagoland area for nearly 30 years. Ask about our birthday discounts, private party packages, and other special offers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Domo 77- Wheaton reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (1)Show More
- Doesn't honor OpenTable,better callQbertDined on 4/15/2014They did not acknowledge the reservation made through OpenTable. The owner said that they canceled working with OpenTable, even though you can still do it today. The owner also will fight you over a Groupon discount with any customer that happens to have one. You are pushed to go sit in the bar while you await your table but there is no bartender and no one can serve you a drink. Another customer must've asked five times and was told yes yes yes but never received a drink in a half an hour. Two quotes that I heard him say to other customers were "this is my restaurant I can do what I want" and "if you want to use your discounts, you go over to outback steakhouse." The chef and the waitress were delightful, problem seems to be the owner.
- Fun! Delicious!ORDTGUVIPDined on 3/15/2014The place was packed because a popular groupon was set to expire, so it was a bit chaotic checking in with a long wait, but staff was friendly and apologetic and confused, I don't let that get to me. Once we sat down, service was great, food was great and the cooking demonstration is always fun. Fun place, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014We halved dined at this restaurant numerous times but this last experience was terrible. We arrived at 7:30 for our 7:45 reservations and there were still people waiting for yheir 6:15 time. At 7:45 we were told it would be ten minutes which turned into twenty. The man at the desk does not even listen when you explain you have reservations. After finally being seated. It took over an hour for the chef to begin our meal. Usually out in an hour. Left the restaurant at 9:45.
- Not overly impressed but good foodSmacDined on 3/3/2014I have to say we have been driving past this place for years and always wondered about it. I took the family there and was not overly impressed. We were seated at the hibachi side of the restaurant and immediately noticed the menu's they gave us were dirty....I hate that. Each one in our party had a variation of a menu with different specials. The decor is a little tired but not too bad. I will say that the food was excellent but all things equal I can't say I'd go back.
- The place is run down. ItNarayan1892Dined on 2/26/2014The place is run down. It is difficult to park. The staff is unfriendly almost to the point of being rude. I understand that with a groupon there are regulations. They should apply equally to everyone. If the restaurant will not accept more than one for a table then don't accept more than one for another table. Also come back and check on the table. We had to ask for refills on every drink and that would be after we sat with the empty glasses for a long time. The only good experience here was the Hibachi chef. He was friendly and did his job well.Special Features:
- Never God as for as a tableWheatonDined on 2/22/2014As you can see with many reviews the restaurant does not honor the Opentable reservation. They just want to slam the waiting room to make as much money as possible. On the night we were there many people were walking out as we did.
- Reservation means nothingMNO1VIPDined on 2/8/2014I should have read the reviews before I booked. All the reviews were on target even with a reservation we waited for 25 minutes. Them we were sat with a party waiting for people so our meal could not start. We left and went some where else.
- A night outCJNelsonDined on 1/25/2014Just cause you have a reservation, doesn't mean they will seat you right away. The hosts English is limited and can make things complicated. But otherwise it was fine. Any of the Asian servers are great at what they do. I have had to Hispanic cooks that don't put the same effort into it like they do.Special Features:
- The cook was very entertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013The cook was very entertaining and friendly. He had to accomodate allergies also. He did this with ease. It was a good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas DinnerBrianKDined on 12/25/2013We've been to Benihana multiple times and wanted to give Domo a try. The overall food theatre experience is equal at both establishments, I think Domo has the edge in overall food flavor and quality ingredients. We had a group of five and had everything from ribeye, chicken, shrimp, salmon and calamari. All were perfectly cooked and tasty. Portion size at Domo also seemed bigger than Benihana. Our chef was experienced and put on a good show, the only thing we missed was the shrimp toss to the "pretty lady". Edge to Benihana for ambiance and decor. Service at both places was attentive but we felt less rushed at Domo. A very good experience for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun food experience!yogamamaDined on 11/26/2013If you are looking for a fun dining experience, this is the place for you! The food is delicious, the staff is great and it is so much fun to watch your food being prepared right in front of your eyes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife really liked her filetChrisDined on 11/22/2013My wife really liked her filet and shrimp combination and the kids liked the grilled shrimp as well. My teriyaki chicken was a little sweet but I suppose I should have expected that.Special Features:
- DownhilljasonVIPDined on 11/9/2013We had celebrated birthdays for years at Domo, it was my daughter's favorite place. Had moved from Chicago but found ourselves there last weekend so decided to relive the old days. Sad to say, it is not what it used to be. After waiting an hour past our reserved time we were seated (behind 3 groups we were ahead of on the reception list for no explainable reason) and were seated in a corner table that was extremely hot and poorly ventilated. The chef had no show at all and the wait-staff was way overworked and short. The food was overcooked and the portions were much smaller than comparable places. Sad to say they've seen much better days.
- Horrible experienceJeffBDined on 11/9/2013I made reservations via open table for my family for my wife's birthday (party of 5). Arrived at 6:05 for a 6:00 reservation. Wasn't acknowledge until 6:25. Then ushered into the sushi bar for "10 mins". Waited there for another 25 mins without service. Needless to say we walked out after 50 mins with only being acknowledged once from someone at Domo 77. I guess reservations don't account for much there. They will never see our business again.
- Bad night?CityDinerDined on 10/30/2013Not sure if it was just a bad night (it was raining). Hostess gave us no greeting - just grabbed menus and seated us. Waiter and chef were nice, although the prep of the food was off (we've been here many times before). We were almost done with the protein part of the dinner before we got the veggie part. And when we left and said thanks and goodbye to the hostess? Again ... no response at all. Seems like things have slipped at this location.
- Good Food but room for improvementBeeweaverDined on 10/19/2013We made reservations but still had to wait for 15 minutes and it wasn't even that busy. It seemed like they didn't want to seat us until another group came to fit at our table. Food was very good. Soup could have been more flavorful. Wish they would do rice at end of meal. Would like to see noodles offered at beginning of meal like many other Japanese Steak Houses. The restaurant could stand a remodeling and could be a bit cleaner. Prices are a bit high but I wouldn't want to pay less for less food like many restaurants do these days. Overall, consistently good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, Busy, Hot & ExpensiveJuleebowDined on 10/6/2013Our family went to this restaurant on a Sunday to celebrate a birthday for a fun, relaxing meal experience. My first reaction was "its hot in here" (due to cooking surfaces at every table). The environment was noisy and busy but the service was pretty good and the Japanese cook was entertaining. The food quality was a disappointment --several of us ordered the Steak & Shrimp special and wondered "where's the shrimp?". It was a skimpy serving buried in breading. The steak quality wasn't up to par either - it wasn't as tender as expected. The average per person price is $33 and if you add drinks, its an $$ evening out. While it can be a fun experience for a first-time Japanese steakhouse patron, it's not a place I'd return to.
- Ok for habatchi but I've had betterbrittanidtVIPDined on 10/5/2013We had a reservation but waited at least 5 minutes before we were greeted. The shrimp are very small and cut into pieces which make them even worse. Server and hostess were very nice. Steak was good but bland. I've had better habatchi at Chi Tung and BenihanasSpecial Features:
- Happy Birthday!DiningDivaDined on 8/25/2013We eat here for every family birthday celebration. Even the kids love it and they eat an adult sized meal. Worth every penny to see them eat well. Must be under new management because the staff has turned over and they have updated from the birthday pineapple to a really nice large plate drizzled with chocolate sauce spelling out Happy Birthday and a cream puff dessert.Special Features:
- The service was so slow. ItbabsDined on 5/12/2013The service was so slow. It took forever just to put our order in & get drinks. Then we still had to wait for the food to be prepped! The waitress did not tend to our table at all. We had to ask her several times for the same thing. It was a shame since this was Mothers Day! You would think they would be mindful of a holiday & make sure they had enough help. Beef was tough, chicken was great. I've gone here for many years & this was the first time we were very disappointed.Special Features:
- The greeter and seater hereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013The greeter and seater here were really subpar, almnost rude -- which started the evening off bad. The "experience" was fine -- an obvious imitation of the Benhihana model -- but the timing of the meals was odd and the salad portion really poor (watery lettuce, weak dressing). Otherwise fine.
- We had a great night, metOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013We had a great night, met some really fun people and had a night full of conversation. Food was very good and even better the next day as leftovers. I was a bit shocked at the receipt, but worth it for a special night out.Special Features:
- they never dissapoint theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/19/2013they never dissapoint the food, the service, the value. Always a good time!Special Features:
- This place has AMAZING sushi.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/15/2012This place has AMAZING sushi. Tucked away in the back is a small sushi bar. Decor may need some upgrading, but the food is the real reason I come backSpecial Features:
- Domo was ok, pretty much yourVitsDined on 11/17/2012Domo was ok, pretty much your typical Japanese cook in front of you restaurant I thought the place was a little out dated , and could use some remodelingSpecial Features:
- Sushi was delicious and pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/10/2012Sushi was delicious and prices were very reasonable.
- This is our comfort food placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/26/2012This is our comfort food place whenthe weather changes to cchilly...We have not been here since April...they really cut down on the portions and raised the prices and it was just soso...do not know if we will go back!Special Features:
- We had not been to Domo'sOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/23/2012We had not been to Domo's 77 in at least 15 years and it looked exactly the same as it did 15 years ago. We had a good time and the service was good as was the food.Special Features:
- EntertainingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2012This was a great experience for my boyfriend and I. It allowed him to try different foods in one sitting. The cooks are very entertaining too.
- Par for courseChopVIPDined on 7/29/2012If Japanese Steakhouses are in your frequent restaurant rolodex, you can do better. Pricing is closer to $$$$ (not $$).Special Features:
- Only thing good is the steak hibachJessicaWDined on 7/28/2012Expensive restaurant. Steak hibachi was DELICIOUS!!! That is the only thing worth eating here, if you choose to spend $30+ on a meal. Chicken was dry, shrimp/lobster were just okay, fried rice & veggies met expectations. I would not recommend the garlic hibachi topping - it's basically soft bread-y tempura flakes with a weird texture and taste that does not compliment the food. Sushi was good but too expensive for my preference (average price $10/roll). Service took kind of awhile - they got our orders and took too long to get the food to us or for the hibachi chef to prepare in front of us. Entertaining hibachi chef though. Overall, I'd say too expensive for the price, but good for an entertaining meal out.Special Features:
- The Aurora restaurant is muchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012The Aurora restaurant is much more organized, quieter and well managed. Although we had reservations, we had to wait 45 minutes to be seated. It took 15 minutes to talk to someone as the hostess and wait staff were ignoring the front desk/register and trying not to make eye contact with customers.