Dominic's on the Hill
5101 Wilson Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63110Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Dominic's on the Hill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dominicsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3147711632
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Large groups of 40 or more can be accommodated in the afternoons and on Sunday with enough advanced notice.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Italian
- Executive Chef: Pawel Ziarko
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call 314-771-1632 for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Dominic's on the Hill is ideal for business functions, rehearsal dinners, birthday parties, anniversary parties, graduation parties, and small wedding dinners. The elegent and intimate Sopra Room on the private second floor is complete with separate bathrooms, full bar, and plasma TV. The main restaurant has two semi-private rooms which can seat 18 people. The whole restaurant can also be reserved for up to 150 people. Private dining menus range in price depending on your budget and wants. Wine can also be ordered exclusively for your event. A deposit is required to hold the space for your private event. Call for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Jessica Carolyn 3147711632
- Entertainment: Background music.
A word from Dominic's on the Hill
Dominic and Jackie Galati purchased Dominic's on the Hill in 1971 and moved in above the restaurant. Within two years, Dominic began winning national awards and has continued to do so for the last 40 years. This is an exceptional restaurant with fine Italian cuisine, professional, friendly service, & an extensive wine list. Dominic oversees the kitchen,and the menu includes fresh seafood, veal, tenderloin, lamb, and many other choices. The restaurant has a Florentine atmosphere, with low lighting, white tablecloths, & classic oil paintings. Dominic's has been honored by DIRONA, 2001 Restaurant Hall of Fame, 1999 International Award of Excellence, The Epicurean Award & was voted one of the two best Italian Restaurants in the country by Conde Nast Traveller. The second floor of the restaurant is available for private parties of 15-65. Please call for details. Smaller parties up to 18 people can be accommodated downstairs as well as larger parties up to 150.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Dominic's on the Hill - Best Restaurants in The Hill ›
Dominic's on the Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (31)romantic (29)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (12)notable wine list (7)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very disappointedGoodfoodgirlDined on 9/6/2014From the moment we walked in I knew it was only going to get worse!! We waited 45 min to have our order taken only to be given stale rock hard bread to tide us over. The service was not five star by any means. I had a gift certificate that clearly stated that it did not expire. Upon presenting it to the owners daughter I was told they did not accept that one any longer. I've been in the service industry for thirty years and I would never consider not honoring a gift certificate. A good business owner would never let a potential returning customer walk out the door unhappy over a $25.00 gift card. Our entire experience was a complete disappointment. This is NOT a five star restaurant.
- Wonderful Experience2ggalDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I along with anothe couple dined at Dominic's on a Saturday night. Everything was delicious from my spinach salad with their house made dressing to the lemon veal. My friend ordered the Osco Buco, I'm definitely having that next time! Our waiter was perfect with his Italian accent we felt we were in Rome. It was a great trip, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014our dinner was ruined by such poor service. they kept saying that the kitchen was backed up, but we could not get a menu at first, then could not get a drink and after 2+ hours had trouble getting a bill. it was very disappointing. they took some off the bill. but we would have GLADLY paid the bill for better service.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014We had a group of 8 that were travelling on business. We all really enjoyed the meal. The food was exceptional as well as our waiter. We asked for suggestions and he willing gave his opinion. Overall we would defininetly recommend Dominic's.Special Features:
- Upscale ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014Visiting town, we read about this restaurant and decided to try it. Very nicely decorated in an old world style. Good menu. Really enjoyed the food, but the service was inattentive, two different waiters both dissappeared for long periods. Without asking, the head waiter gave us free dessert and coffee to compensate. Hopefully this was just a off night for the servers, as the restaurant was not very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dominic'sAnniversaryDined on 8/9/2014Anniversary dinner. Very quite intimate dining experience. Almost too quite. We could here another tables conversation. There was no notable host upon arrival. The food for my wife and I were delicious. Best beef tenderloin I have ever had. My wife said her food was excellent as well. My beef and onion soup was also excellent. Wife said Dominic salad was nothing special. Service was a little slow, but I appreciated not being rushed. I believe the owner/manager came by to make sure everything was fine. I would definitely go back, but only for a special occasion.Special Features:
- wonderful321Dined on 8/1/2014This was our first visit and from the moment we entered we received the royal treatment. The special occasion was a birtday celebration for my son, daughter and myself. Christian and Alexander were our wonderful waiters and Kevin as their assistant was great. They were spot on with service, peppered with a little humor and very professional execution. We loved it and will be back. Christine PetersonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014The service at this place is amazing. It was very nice to go to an Italian restaurant with servers who knew about Italian food. It was very quiet and romantic. I loved how they served the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizer salad entreeMLBReviewDined on 7/24/2014Overall the meals were a little disappointing. The artichoke and escargot appetizer was a strange mix of flavors, Dominic's salad was average, lobster ravioli was very light on the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal on the HillAmyHVIPDined on 7/14/2014Dominic's was fantastic. The service was impeccable. The food was fantastic - served steaming hot. Dominic even came around to each table. Next time I am in town, I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great night out.nycdinerDined on 7/12/2014Everything was perfect. We traveled three hours to dine at this restaurant and we were not disappointed. Perfection from beginning to end. Being from NYC and familiar with excellent Italian cuisine you have over exceeded my expectations. Thank you for an excellent evening and we look forward to dining with you again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DominicsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014Excellent Italian restaurant in the Italian section of St. Louis. Away from downtown but well worth it. A great place for a special occasion and just good old country Italian cusineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cherylDined on 6/30/2014The entrees were wonderful (veal chop and lobster gusto). The sides of potatoes, carrots, and green beans were just so-so. The caprese salad needed more "punch"- not a lot of flavor. Our waiter seemed to be the only waiter, so that would have contributed to our problems with him. We had a long wait to get anything and had to ask for bread, etc... He was very perfunctory- with the ambiance and price point of the restaurant, we expected more genial service and much more attentiveness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Special OccasionsKathyDined on 6/14/2014We use Dominic's for special occasions and this past Saturday night was our 35th wedding anniversary. So we chose Dominic's. As usual, the service was very good and the food was excellent. Many of the items are prepared at tableside and all of the plates are warmed at tableside. It is just right for something special.Special Features:
- Dominicsgreatdining3Dined on 6/13/2014service was a little slow but friendly and the food was terrific! The specials covered a a wide selection tastes.Special Features:
- best cannoli I have ever eaten.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The owner came to the table a couple of times, and we had a very nice conversation. Made us feel welcome and the evening even more special. The service was excellent, and all the staff very helpful.Special Features:
- The following 326 reviews are from the Dominic's on the Hill reviews archive.
- Visit to the HillvodvoxVIPDined on 5/17/2014We were visiting St Louis and had the opportunity to try one of the restaurants on the Hill. We selected Dominics and were really pleased with the outstanding food and service. The special that night was a sea bass which my wife absolutely loved. I had the Osso Bucco which was just perfect...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved Dominic's!N4NewfyDined on 5/16/2014We had a celebratory graduation dinner at Dominic's and it was excellent. We loved the decor, ambiance and food and the waitstaff was very friendly and attentive. My only complaint was that we were told about the soup special and then when we tried to order it we were told it wasn't available. Our reservation was for 7:00pm, so it seemed a little early to be running out of a soup selection. Overall, I would definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone wanting an authentic Italian dining experience on the Hill!Special Features:
- Classic, classyBDRockvilleVIPDined on 5/15/2014A top-rated restaurant of long standing, the ambiance is sophisticated old world comfort, the service is outstanding and the food is as good as it gets.Special Features:
- just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2014Dominic's had been given a very high review on Trip Advisor and I wanted a top rated restaurant for my son's graduation. The food was good, not fabulous. I had lobster over pasta and it was overcooked but still tasty. My husband had delicious scallops and the kids (adults) had seafood over pasta. House salad ala carte was excellent. Service was maddeningly slow for a non crowded Thursday night. We had 3 or 4 different waiters. I liked the nice touch of heating the plates over flame at the table but we left and had dessert and drinks elsewhere because it was a bit too quiet for a celebration. Perhaps we got there on an off night? It was a week night but with a large graduation in town I thought it would be busier.Special Features:
- perfect. simply perfect.honeymoonersDined on 5/13/2014My husband and I were in town on our honeymoon. He insisted we book reservations, and I am so happy he did. The ambiance was romantic. We went early in the evening (a Tuesday night with reservations at 5pm). It was quiet and we had the restaurant to ourselves for a while. The wine list was extensive, the waiter was amazing, a large selection of "home" Italian dishes and phenomenal table service! Will definitely go back to celebrate milestones when we are in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerMadDogDined on 5/12/2014We had people in from Los Angeles and NYC and couldn't think of a better place to take them than Dominic's on the Hill. It wasn't busy, but that's to be expected on a Monday night on the Hill. Not much is open then. The food was great and the service was too. They even made a pasta dish which was off the menu at the request of one diner. It was a very pleasant and satisfying evening. It just would have been nice if the restaurant was a little busier.Special Features:
- ExcellentbirthdaywishDined on 5/9/2014Excellent service, excellent food, and very clean place, can't wait until my next birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Authentic Italian diningsandybeachesDined on 4/9/2014We loved the food, service and suggestions given by the staff of Dominics. It was nice to see the owner come to each table to see how things were. We want to thank Jackie for her Casada dessert we enjoyed for our anniversary. It was delicious! This by far is one of our favs!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We go way out of our way!!!!!!!!FitzerDined on 4/7/2014Best in the Midwest. Cannaloni is our favorite. What a relaxing ,wonderful way to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has the Look but not all that.IndianaTraveler21Dined on 4/5/2014Looked the part when we walked in, nice decor & ambiance but once we got seated all that went away. The place was pretty empty but they seated us next to a group of 8 really loud people that did not understand the "inside voice". We had two waiters but it seemed like we had maybe a half of one. Felt like i was always trying to get there attention. Once we decided not to order any wine they pretty much ignored us like we were inconveniencing them. Had to ask for a cocktail menu since they did not offer us anything else. Had Calamari as an appetizer & it was OK but it wasn't any better than i have had before. The main entrees were just OK as well, nothing to write home about. Could have gotten anywhere. You pay for the atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Better and BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014From the greeting to the seating to the menu questions to the courses, things just became better and better. Excellent menu choices and selections came timely, heated tableside where appropriate, to accompany antipasto and egg plant parm appetiz the gems in the winelist that emerged from the cellar. We almost made the mistake of passing on dessert that turned out to make this vist truly memorable. Oranges peeled and flamed into a sauce of oranges and liqueurs joined fresh strawberries and icecream that left us scraping our spoons along the bottoms of the serving dish, a ringing percussion chorus to close out the night. Don't miss this restaurant and don't wait any longer for your first or return visit.Special Features:
- The best Italian food in St.Macca1VIPDined on 3/29/2014The best Italian food in St. Louis. Classic, old school ambiance, table side preparation and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic St Louis ItalianjazzmeDined on 3/29/2014I returned to this spot after many years away and it's as if time stood still. And that's in a good way. The menu and food as well as the ambiance seemed to be exactly the same as I'd remembered. I'm sure that they have made updates from 35 years ago yet somehow managed to retain the traditional charm that fits well in the "Hill" neighborhood of St Louis. I had the Salmon Farfalle which is bow tie pasta with generous chunks of Salmon in a pink sauce. The pasta was cooked perfectly al dente just as I prefer. The prices are just a little higher than some others in the area but the quality is there. This would be a good spot for a romantic date as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the HillGto5Dined on 3/22/2014Great food and service for an early dinner before the theater.Special Features:
- excellent choiceBillDined on 3/15/2014We searched restaurant "on the hill" online and found Dominic's. Everything was great -- food, staff, atmosphere and the civility of the other guests nearby. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First impressionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014I chose this place based off a friend's recommendation. They let my wife and I sit down before the time we had reserved. We ordered the swordfish special and scallops and calamari as an appetizer. The food was delicious and fresh, and the service is friendly first-class. Since it was my wife's birthday, they brought out a complimentary piece of cake. This experience was a good first impression. I'd definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a good dinner butellaDined on 3/15/2014Not just a good dinner but a true dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedbirdyDined on 3/8/2014We booked a reservation at this restaurant hoping to experience wonderfu Italian food. We were disappointed in the service from the moment we arrived. The staff did not seem to have time for us. The mussels and salmon as appetizers were deicious but the remainder of the meal was disappointing. We felt like the restaurant was overpriced for the service and food. W
- PerfectannaDined on 3/8/2014Was a perfect evening. Everything was outstanding! would recommend to anyone looking for a place for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Really tough to get a taxi from this location. Staff was helpful in trying to secure one. But waited at least 30 minutes. St. Louis has lousy taxi service!Special Features:
- Good, but wrings out the wallet!!hungrygirlDined on 3/1/2014This was my first time to dine here-Yes the food was very good & service was some of the best I've had, but the prices are overall too high to compete. I appreciate good service & prefer to express this in my tips. The pricing on the pasta dishes was too high. This is a shame as it prohibits more frequent visits. Please add some more mid priced meal items on the menu -starting with the pasta prices.Special Features:
- Good, but not wow for $165OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/22/2014We had problematic service from the time we were seated, except for the young man who kept our water glasses full. Other tables that came in behind our seating were dealt with promptly, had menus and already had wine even before a waiter came by to our table. Finally got bread, which was hard and not very good. We finally ordered wine and our meal, then another guy came and took our wine glasses away. Food was hot and presented nicely. We both ordered veal and it was very good, although pricey for what we got. Espresso and tiramisu were just okay, not what we would expect from an upscale Italian restaurant. The restaurant never acknowledged my birthday denoted in the reservation until I asked when we got the bill. Would not go back again.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014This was our first time at Dominick's and the entire meal was a great experience, great food, great wine and loved the decision to come here for our Valentine's day dinner. I ate a small plate of Pappardelle Alla Bolegnese just to try the sauce as well as the Sea Scallops with Dill Dauce. My wife ate the Ravioli Di Ricotta Alla Marinara. I recommend all three. The food was beyond expectations and I enjoyed every bit of it. The service was a little confusing and felt the constant activity around our table was distracting. It was early and slow and I felt they may have just wanted to keep busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on the HillOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Spent Valentine's Day Night at Dominic's and had a very good meal. All food was delivered hot and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.