Domenico's on the Wharf
50 Fishermans Wharf No. 1
Monterey, CA 93940Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Domenico's on the Wharf
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.domenicosmonterey.com/
- Phone: (831) 372-3655
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served daily from 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner is served daily from 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Domenico"s features banquet dining for parties from 25-50 guests. Entertain your guests with a wonderful four course meal while overlooking stunning Monterey harbor.
- Private Party Contact: James Goggin 8313723655x
- Cross Street: Del Monte and Washington
- Public Transit: Monterey Salinas Transit has stops on Pacific street just off of Old Fisherman’s Wharf. Complimentary trolley service is available during the summer months as well
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Metered parking is available in the wharf lot located along Del Monte Avenue, on the right-hand side before reaching the wharf (if coming from the East) and on the left-hand side after the wharf (if coming from the west).
A word from Domenico's on the Wharf
A local favorite since 1981, Domenico’s on the Wharf features wild sustainable local and Alaskan seafood. The restaurant, located on Monterey’s Old Fisherman’s Wharf, is known for its formal, yet friendly, ambiance and impeccable service, as well as its one-of-a-kind menu. We invite you to select from our award winning wine list while you sit and take in the striking views of the Monterey Harbor. One visit to Domenico’s on the Wharf and you will find yourself returning time and again.Continued
We are open for lunch and dinner, and offer Happy Hours seven days a week. Reservations are recommended.
We are open for lunch and dinner, and offer Happy Hours seven days a week. Reservations are recommended.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Domenico's on the Wharf - Best Restaurants in Monterey ›
Domenico's on the Wharf reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (28)special occasion (16)notable wine list (8)romantic (8)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good food spoiled by poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/10/2014We were a large party on a Monday night. The restaurant was almost empty when we first got there, you would think that the service would be more attentive. We asked for bread when we first got there, we got it right before we got our check. We had to go to the bar to get our drinks and wine. The waiter came to the table only once- once to take the order, and then to bring the check. He never checked back, we filled our own wine glasses, I had to hunt him down to order appetizers. The food was decent, not great. Salmon overcooked, very dry. Some of the dishes were good- calamari, artichokes, and sand dabs very tasty. We got the impression that since the tip was already included, he didn't care. Won't be back.
- Niner64Niner64Dined on 10/21/2014Monterey's Fishermans Wharf has many restaurants, this is a family run seafood restaurant. The seafood is excellent with just enough fresh choices. Food is very good and the service was excellent. The view is great,usually sea life right out the window. Relax enjoy the food and the beauty of Monterey Bay.Special Features:
- Must see in MontereyTraceyLynnVIPDined on 10/11/2014While Domenico's may be just a tad bit in the touristy side, it's a must. The food was great, the view was great and our service was good. Only issue was notice level was a little high the evening went but overall it's just a fun place to go eat and take in the sites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food and service.YuckyVIPDined on 10/9/2014Restaurant service was fantastic and the food quality matched the service. While visiting Monterey I will be back.Special Features:
- Perfect vacation diningMargDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant is always a treat, for vacationers and residents alike. Situated on the Monterey Wharf, the ocean, shipping, wild life views are always beautiful and entertaining. The food is excellent; varied but with an emphasis on fresh-caught seafood, often captured the same day. Emphasis is on fresh, cooked Italian style (pastas and soups are very good.) The outside display table by the door is laden with samples of dishes on offer today. Don't be afraid to state your preferences to your server. The chef is happy to prepare your food the way you like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKPinotNoirFanVIPDined on 10/3/2014Went here on our first night in Monterey. It had been a hot day and even at 7pm, the restaurant was very uncomfortable. Service was nothing special. I had the deep fried prawns and my wife had the scampi. Average at best...Special Features:
- Fisherman's Wharf top spottejoVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a fine experience at Domenico's. Service was superb; food excellent and well prepared. The restaurant was extremely busy. This did not detract from the attention we received. We rate Domenico's highly and will return when we're next in Monterey.Special Features:
- Hi Energy on the Wharf!BirdlegzVIPDined on 9/19/2014They pulled us in with a great sample of clam chowder! One we were seated, the great food didn't stop. The service here is premier too; our waiters were friendly and patient, in the midst of a very busy and big dining room. The restaurant overlooks the marina, and watching the boats and the seals made it a fun place to eat!Special Features:
- AlsterDined on 9/12/2014My wife has food allergies and they were more than accommodating.Special Features:
- Memorable dinnerSandyDined on 8/25/2014The owner stood outside and des drives their special spotted prawns just caught that morning. I had the prawns with linguini - the best I've ever had- shelled table side buniur waiter, Robert. My husband had the sole and it was also excellent. The 'music' was the sounds of the sea lions, resting right outside the window on the wharf. We will return when in Monterey Bay-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view ordinary foodbadinerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We went at night. Pastas with seafood are good options along with wedge salad and dessert trio. Even at night view is enjoyable and you can observe the wildlife - seals, seagulls and a school of anchovies swimming back and forth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Friendly w/a viewSteve0228Dined on 8/22/2014We took our Family of 13 including two toddlers to Domenico's on a Friday night. With our reservation, the table with a view of the Harbor was all set. Our server was gracious and patient. The food came on a timely basis. (Food for the kids arrived first.) The seafood was fresh and excellent. I highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:
- Old School SeafoodgdeadmanDined on 8/18/2014This restaurant feels like it was transported from the 1950's to the present, and the crowd loved it. The food was very fresh and well prepared; the waitstaff very attentive without being intrusive. The cioppino was wonderful, with a great variety of seafood. My bride had the sand dabs and daughter the bacon wrapped scallops. Everything tasted delicious. We made a reservation early in the day through OpenTable and they seated us at a booth by the window overlooking the harbor. We really enjoyed it and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family, We will be back when we get back to Monterey. (NB there were a couple of very large groups being served near us and the staff handled the juggling of all tables without missing a beat.)Special Features:
- Terrific place on the WharfOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/14/2014Excellent food and great service. Our server Jorge enhanced the dining experience by describing our dishes in detail and suggested pairing wines to go along with them. Must have some homemade lemoncello that takes several months to make. Sea lion views from the windows will entertain you and the overall view is beautiful. Go enjoy a great eatery while in Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but food is not greatsari34VIPDined on 8/6/2014The atmosphere is great! The service is wonderful and the staff is very attentive. The scenery by the window is great with the view of all the boats and sea lions. However the food was not great. Our steaks we ordered medium-rare actually came out medium-well which was pretty disappointing.Special Features:
- 68cudaDined on 8/2/2014The service was the best I've seen in a long time.Our waiter(Trevor) was very attentive and explained the menu and specials extremely well and answered all our questions about the menu.My wife had surf and turf and the lobster and filet both melted in your mouth.The lobster was 15 oz. compared to other restaurants which serve 8 oz. lobster.I had one of the specials 6 jumbo prawns saute with linguine and it was excellent .We had a table next to the window for a nice few of seals in the harbour.All in all a great place for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun PlaceJCL2Dined on 7/31/2014This is a fun place to eat. Service is excellent and the view can't be beat (overlooking the wharf). There was a barge of sea lions right outside our window. The menu offers a wide variety of good food.Special Features:
- elegantDined on 7/28/2014Excellent service and quality of food!!!!! Relaxing perfect atmosphere and highly recommended .Special Features:
- The following 170 reviews are from the Domenico's on the Wharf reviews archive.
- So-so service makes for so-so mealJessiebVIPDined on 7/20/2014This restaurant sits on the touristy wharf in Monterey. We were lucky enough to get a table right by the window-we could see the sea lions and boats which was great. The atmosphere is dated nautical.food was ok -grilled salmon with veggies&mashed potatoes.The potatoes were Luke warm and salmon was not flavorful. My ten year old had pizza&fries. She wouldn't even eat the fries because due to too much salt and pizza was pretty good for her standards. The service was lacking despite there being a server plus his assistant. I had to remind them to get my wine which they forgot, my daughters kid drink was full and they didn't ask why this was at the edge of the table untouched, and when the bill was incorrect, it took 20 minutes to resolve it.
- Fabulous food and sea lions!ArleneVIPDined on 7/12/2014Following a recommendation from our rv camp hosts, we went to Domenico's. Once we found the place, it was all good. Creamy clamp chowder, tender scallops, tasty sand dabs (a flounder like fish), attentive service and a view of sea lions sleeping on a deck made this place one to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Been going here for many years - the food, views and ambience are always great!Special Features:
- Excellent dinning.JojoDined on 6/19/2014Would recomend Dominicos to anyone visiting the Monterey areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac54VIPDined on 6/14/2014Domenico's is always a favorite when we visit Monterey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner on the wharfwabash21VIPDined on 6/13/2014Lovely view of harbor and great for watching and hearing sea lions, had the calamari steak which was very good.Special Features:
- Loved Domenico's!PattyVIPDined on 5/30/2014We were able to get a table with a view of the sea lions, they were so entertaining. This was the BEST Salmon that I've had! Cooked perfectly. Will return next time we are in the Monterey area.Special Features:
- Acceptable Tourist FarenotafoodieVIPDined on 5/28/2014There was nothing really terrible and nothing really outstanding about this restaurant. The wait staff was surprisingly good -- friendly and professional. However it would have been nice if we had been warned about the huge portions when ordering appetizers and entrees. The menu is unimaginative, food is average, portions were revoltingly large. The food is just piled onto the plate. We wanted a place that was walking distance from our hotel, and it did satisfy that requirement. We were not really disappointed because we were not expecting much since it is right on the wharf.Special Features:
- What a view!!FishVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a great time. The food was wonderful and the view was just beautiful. Will definitely go back!!Special Features:
- JanieVIPDined on 5/16/2014Have eaten here a number of times and enjoyed. This visit was most disappointing in that food was cold; couldn't eat the calamari due to fishiness - almost undercooked. Parmesan cheese in risotto was overwhelming - not in a good way.
- Great restaurant, excellent serviceMelissaDined on 5/7/2014I was in Monterey for a conference and I needed to find a restaurant that could accommodate a group of 14. Domenico's set up a great table for our group, their menu offered a wide variety of yummy dishes at a reasonable price. The atmosphere was great and the view of the ocean and sea lions was very nice. The service was excellent as well. Overall, our group was very pleased with our dining experience! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Domenico's sets the pace!CWandMrsCWVIPDined on 4/26/2014Even amongst the many seafood offerings on the Monterey Bay Fishermans Wharf, Domenicos rises above the flotsam and jetsam. Three of us visited the evening before the Big Sur Marathon, taking in a local Chardonnay at the bar as we waited for our table. The restaurant weren't ready for our arrival, very busy, and this should not stop a visit. Very good table service, even time for some banter, and an exceptional view to watch the seal lions bask at dusk. We had Halibut, salmon, and fish and chips - very, very good!Special Features:
- Great Food & Entertainment!luv2winedineDined on 4/21/2014While visiting Monterey, my husband and I wanted to dine at one of the restaurants on Cannery Row and chose Domenico's based on reviews on Open Table. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent, the service was friendly and attentive, the prices were great, and the entertainment consisted of a wonderful "floor show" by sea animals! There were sea lions and seals, but the otters stole the show completely (and our hearts)! I would highly recommend this restaurant for a great Cannery Row/Monterey experience!Special Features:
- TT14Dined on 4/17/2014When we went onto the wharf I was questioning our decision to eat there. The wharf is run down and a lot of homeless begging. I was much surprised at the restaurant. Though older it was well kept and colorful. The food was excellent and the service great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful seafoodsonomagaryDined on 4/12/2014Domenico's is a lively, bustling Italian seafood place on the Wharf -- a very pleasant dining room with an excellent view of the harbor. I had scampi tiger prawns that were cooked to perfection, and my wife enjoyed the swordfish steak. The wine list was not extensive but the wines they do pour seem all to be excellent vintages. The service was superb - our wait person was there when we needed him but never hovered at all. The price was appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View of Bay Outdoors LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014Watching the seals right outside the restaurant was very entertaining. The lunch menu was good and the service super. I am a soup lover and the Boullabies was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceEatMeatVIPDined on 3/25/2014We were recommended by many people to dine at Domenico's. That was a great decision. King crab legs were great and the service was just as good. Would recommend again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Magnificent Dining Experience!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/22/2014Decided to spend my Birthday in Monterey and found this place on Open Table. JACKPOT!!! Everything was fabulous from the moment we walked in, the food was already smelling Great! From being greeted to being seated everyone was super friendly and professional. Our waiter was very friendly, professional, and b extremely knowledgeable about the menu. The food was SUPERB!!! Everyone in our party of 4 ordered something different, Stuffed Salmon, Seafood Alfredo, Stuffed Prawns, and I had the Swordfish. Everything was excellent and everyone was more than satisfied with their meals. I would (and plan on) driving from Stockton to dine here again. Definitely one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. You won't be disappointed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful view & Expensive foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014The view is great, it's lovely to watch the sea lions. The service was great, we felt very attended to, even with a party of eight. Unfortunately, the food was not worth the price. The prices we saw on the menu online were not the ones we saw when we got there.Special Features:
- DeliciousAmanda1111Dined on 3/1/2014Great dinner! Chicken Marsala was delicious! Califlower mashed potatoes and vegetables were amazing as well! Great view of the sea lions hanging out by the boats! Overall, nice experience!Special Features:
- Thanks.localinthehoodVIPDined on 2/19/2014Thank you for being very attentive to our four kids, allowing us to store our helmets and skooters inside the restaurant. Our waiter and wait staff were very responsive, courteous and attentive. The food was very good but the sole was particularly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Agood meal hinges on the experienceluvgoodfoodDined on 2/16/2014So we booked the table on Open Table for 9:30.When we got there they were quiet I asked if they were still serving, they replied "yes,of course".The appetizer landed on the table five minutes after we ordered and the entrees maybe five minutes after that...we had barely started the appetizer. We asked them to take the plates back and keep them warm, they returned with them about five minutes later.I asked,"are we in your way of closing?"The reply was "no but the kitchen closes at 9:30 and the staff are leaving."You can imagine the rest.Generally rushed, staff cleaning around us, certainly not the best $130 I have spent on a nice meal.The food was OK, nothing spectacular, we had significantly better meals at other establishments in the area.