New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://varelinyc.com/
- Phone: 2126788585x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 12:30am
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:30am
Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Chris Abbamondi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-Site catering available ( 72 hour notice required )
Menu and details to be decided upon based on Client request
- Special Events: Host your next Birthday Party, Anniversary or Rehearsal Dinner at Vareli NYC...Contact our Special Events Director for more details on Menu's and pricing...
Buy-Outs Available ( Partial & Full )
A word from Vareli
Vareli NYC is a multi-level Mediterranean restaurant located on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Enjoy fresh, seasonal cuisine and a diverse wine selection...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vareli reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great morningside hts restaurantfoodloverVIPDined on 8/3/2014I am so glad I finally tried Vareli. I always walk by and I should have tried it much sooner because it was wonderful. The food was delicious and everybody was friendly, just a great experience overall.Special Features:
- Delicious and interestinguwsfoodloverDined on 7/26/2014Chef is very talented. Delicious appetizers and fish. Interesting wines. Desserts great too, although we barely had room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- millionth visitJudeDined on 7/25/2014The specials are the best choice. The main menu is not as good or as interesting as before. Lots of seafood and fish options, not so much for the carnivores this time. I keep coming back again and again for a relaxing evening of food and wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2014Excellent Food. As good as many of the well known, higher price restaurants. Very good personal attention service.Special Features:
- Very disappointedmarskyDined on 6/27/2014Sorry about our experience and meal. Previous experience good. Disappointed this time. Requested a 7:15 reservation and told only had a7:15 or 7:45 times available. When I arrived restaurant was veritably empty and it never filled up. The food: Two of our part were pleased, both ordered fish. I ordered two appetizers. the cauliflower was soggy with oil and and asauce that that missed the boat. The octopus was tasty but the sour creamy sauce didn't go well with the Octopus. One friend said his meal was fair and another said not good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/3/2014Food was very good, nice ambiance. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The following 66 reviews are from the Vareli reviews archive.
- Columbia NeighborhoodJayDDined on 5/19/2014There are few good restaurants near Columbia University. This is one that you should try. The food and service are good. The wine list by the glass is perfect for me. All the starters were excellent. I did order a bad dish of 'lamb burger'. It was dry and flavorless. Give the restaurant a try, if you have not already done so.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/19/2014I'd gone there previously and been put off by the noisy downstairs bar. But this visit was a pleasure. If you don't like restaurant racket, ask to be seated upstairs near the window. It's relaxed and pleasant. The Mediterranean cooking is sophisticated and excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/1/2014Good food. Pleasant atmosphere. Attentive waiter. Would be glad to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findWendyDined on 4/25/2014Vareli's is great is many ways. It has a rustic, romantic ambience with a lively vibe. We were there on an early Friday evening and it was already jumping and crowded, though we had a reservation...also a plus that they take them. There are 2 levels. This time we were seated downstairs which is the bar level, last time upstairs, so it was a bit quieter. The food was really terrific. Regular burger, Lamb burger and the Cod were our chosen fare. All of us were very happy with our food. My very foodie friend could not stop talking about her lamb burger perfection! The service was very good too. Will return. It is a great neighborhood place near Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varelli is back!JudeDined on 4/22/2014Excellent food with a thoughtful appealing menu. The meal is prepared with fine culinary techniques and interesting vegetable combinations. It is wonderful that it is back!Special Features:
- Mildly disappointingGrandmaVIPDined on 4/17/2014We picked Vareli because Open Table gave it $$, and we didn't want to splurge. The meal started well: We were given a fantastic table, upstairs in the window. But then: The only" inexpensive item" was a $16 hamburger, loaded with glop. We each ordered ragu pasta. The first bites were tasty, but ultimately we were overwhelmed by the rich, soupy sauce. We continued eating because we were hungry. Another disappointment: I asked for the least expensive red wine, which the menu said was a beaujolais; the waitress brought a Malbec saying it was the same price -- but on the bill it was more expensive. Ironically, we spent more than at Brasserie 8 1/2 where we had gone to splurge! I will not go back to Vareli.Special Features:
- Nice spot with good foodmammanonnieDined on 4/3/2014Everything we ordered was good: salads, octopus appetizer, fish dinner. Wine selection by the glass also good. Waiter really helpful and friendly. We'd return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A friend recommended VareliFirebirdVIPDined on 3/8/2014A friend recommended Vareli to me. I was extremely disappointed. The menu was very limited and food was poor. The space was extremely crowded and noise level to high.Special Features:
- Upper West Side GemDickDined on 3/8/2014Very flexible with choice of table for two; no wait. Rapid, competent, friendly, service; excellent food. Would return when in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a good dinner. HubbyLowKeyFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014Overall a good dinner. Hubby had the bass which he liked but he found the sides unappealing. Friend had wagyo steak which was also good but tiny. I had the burger which was very good. We ordered the garlic spinach which was yummy. Chocolate volcano cake was also good but minuscule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VareliTurkVIPDined on 3/8/2014This is a fine neighborhood spot serving fresh Mediterranean style food. If you like the Bar scene, stay downstairs. Go upstairs where it's quieter and more romantic. Watch out for small tables, though the spacing between is adequate. During Happy Hour clams and oysters are only a buck apiece and the alcohol is similarly 'cheap'. Altogether, a comfortable experience worth repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vareliemcanflyhiDined on 3/7/2014good food with a small menu. offer fresh oysters. fabulous mediterranian spreads. was there on a fri night and it is very loud. two floors with a bar on each floor which makes dinning uncomfortably noisy when drinkers are loud. too busy for staff to pay attention to our table maybe would try an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in MorningsideOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/5/2014One of the best places to eat in Morningside. Some servings can be rather small but the quality is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EclecticFood4everDined on 3/4/2014The menu offers something for everyone. I ordered a lamb burger that was topped with feta cheese and I loved it. Specialty cocktail was very different and very tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findWendyDined on 3/1/2014This was our first time here and the 4of us were very happy. The decor and ambiance are rustic lovely. We were seated upstairs next to a gas fireplace because I had requested a warm table when making the reservation. What a nice surprise! We had a nice happy hour wine and one of us had happy hour dollar oysters. the beet salad and the fixings with it were delicious, as was the bread. The mains were a very flavorful hake, wild bass and a yummy parpadelle. the dessert special was a unique and wonderful orange and tarragon panna cotta and a fabulous, incredibly moist semolina cake with gelato. All in all a wonderful neighborhood find!Special Features:
- Super delicious lamb burgerADCHENDined on 2/19/2014Lamb burger is so tasty, and oysters are so fresh and big!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still reliable, always a nice eveniWheelerDined on 2/19/2014Vareli returns, after a period when the same space -- maybe the same management? -- was the slightly disappointing Domain. It's nice to have the original style back. The new menu isn't quite as sparkling as the original, but it's still solid, and good value. The service is generally attentive. Noise level allows reasonable conversation, and the general ambience is intimate and pleasant. The wine list is interesting and well priced. (The "flight" of 3 wines, red or white, is well chosen and excellent value.) In a neighborhood of noisy student places or Identikit "style" restaurants (like the faux-bistro Le Monde), Vareli is distinctive and has quality food at good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a sad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2014They really could have done better. The hostess was rude and the wait staff was unknowledgeable. We actually left because the hostess was so rude. When we asked for a different table she literally said "it doesn't matter if you have a reservation." I died.
- Neighborhood go-toShainaMDined on 2/15/2014The food is always great and the service always lovely. Great place to go when you're looking for something nice but not over-the-top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedMorningsiderDined on 2/15/2014We've been to Vareli numerous times - both as the "original" Vareli, when it changed to Domain, and now at the redone Vareli. The food was almost as good as always - an incredibly light, airy hummus, incredible fish, a great pasta and rib dish. But the service was atrocious. We were actively ignored for 10 minutes after we sat down, then the server didn't know the drink menu ("I've only been here 4 days!") and our appetizer arrived simultaneous with dinner. The coffee I ordered with dessert arrived after the check, and it's a french roast - they didn't even have to brew it! So, while the food was tasty, it was a really, really disappointing experience. The service was always inconsistent, but it's gotten much worse lately.Special Features:
- Vareli is back!!ZZ007Dined on 2/15/2014come back and see an old friend; some old menu favorites and a few that are sure to become favorites…..bring a date…or a few friends….Special Features:
- Valentines at Vareli'sSummerDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went to Varelis for the first time this valentines day. We sat upstairs near a lovely fireplace. They were very busy - but the waitstaff was overall excellent. We ordered the chilled seafood tower for 2 and devoured it. It was a delicious assortment. He had the special veal chop and I got the short rib/prime rib entree. Both were excellent with generous serving sizes and nice cuts of meat. The short rib was particularly good. And we each were given a long stem red rose for the holiday on the way out. Very nice experience, great for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameYPWBVIPDined on 2/6/2014Use to go to Varelli and have a huge, delicious, sultry burger. This time almost a McDonald burger in size and taste. French fries salty. Strong smell from the kitchen. Maybe table not well located, but it is not supposed to have tables where costumers have to smell fat for the whole dinner.
- Amazing Find!GloriaVIPDined on 2/6/2014What a surprise to find Vareli's, be that far uptown and be wowed by the food!! Large portions we shared, AND took home; absolutely THE BEST GREEN SALAD I HAVE EVER HAD!!!! Three of us SPLIT an amazing panini with THE BEST FRENCH FRIES I have had in a long time!! We also split a small cheese plate that was simply wonderful AND, AND........I donot think anything we ordered was over TEN DOLLARS!!! While we had no drinks, when is the last time you can THINK of anyone enjoying a meal as much as we did AND PAY FORTY-FIVE DOLLARS FOR THREE FOR LUNCH???? We almost forgot we were up at 110th Street for another reason! I would seriously go again without scheduling another stop........PLEASE GO, NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renaissance...JudeDined on 1/28/2014This wonderful restaurant disappeared but now it's back. The food is delicious and intriguing. We were seated on the ground floor and nothing has changed, thankfully, from before. Staff are attentive but not intrusive. Apparently there is a new chef but he/she has adopted the previous menu style and so the dishes continue to have fresh and varied combinations and preparations. Hooray!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome Back, KottertheplatoguyVIPDined on 1/25/2014The small menu is fairly diverse and the prices are moderate. The appetizer (fried cauliflower) and entree (cassoulet) I had were more interesting in conception than execution. But it's a pleasant space - two levels,each with a small bar at which a solo can dine - in the Columbia neighborhood.
- Vareli-LoveDeedeeVIPDined on 1/24/2014We're so glad Vareli is just a short walk for us. Wonderful Happy Hour surprise Friday eve Jan 24: dollar oysters and wonderful reduced priced wine! Followed that up with my favorite / Classic grilled octopus. My wife had the fabulous cassoulet. Slight changes to the menu since our last visit: lower prices and a few dishes renamed. Skilled, cheerful and efficient servers (they don't call a mixed or female party "Guys", and don't tell you about their favorite dishes) - in short they're professionals.Special Features:
- Nice place, but make a reservationThetaSigmaVIPDined on 1/23/2014Vareli recently re-opened on the Upper West Side. While they do have fancy food on the menu which is probably delicious, their burgers are really good. My one recommendation is that you always make a reservation before showing up. They do not seem to like walk-ins much at Vareli, so just make an OpenTable reservation before you head out there and you should be good to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked Domain. It was ourOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/20/2013We liked Domain. It was our first time there; and we didn't know what to expect. The room seemed overly rustic (yet with a large flat screen TV over the entrance; why, one might ask); and the long, narrow space seemed awkward. But, we were pleased by the generally solicitous service (although my entrée plate was removed before that of my companion). The food was consistently good, the appetizers and dessert particularly so. Our entrees, although very tasty, simply had too much food on the plate. We had ordered the skate wing, which was very nice; but we felt that the amount of cabbage was excessive. Nonetheless, we enjoyed our dining experience and look forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood resourceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/16/2013Interesting wine list eclectic range of cuisine. Nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backOliviaTDined on 11/30/2013Domain keeps getting better and better. I love the move from Varelli to Domain; the Columbia area needs a locavore haven. And now that prices seem more realistic than a few months back the place is thoroughly inviting, the best deal in the area. Three cheers for the wild salmon and accompanying vegetables and horseradish.Special Features:
- Just OKfelderinoDined on 11/10/2013Pricey. Inattentive service. OK food - the only amazing dish was the cauliflower risotto which I have to admit was GREAT.
- Very good food, smart new pricesJoeGVIPDined on 11/1/2013They have started to reduce some prices, and entrees now seem to come with sides on the plate, so they might be taking the criticism to heart. They now also have a bar menu with some of the old Varelli favorites. Quality of the food is very good and the service was fine. Hope it works out. Neighborhood needs a place like this.Special Features:
- domajn excreded expectationsguy11976VIPDined on 10/25/2013Everything served was excellent. Duck confit. Smoked trout. Flour less cake came with egg shaped caramel ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.