15 Bow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dolphinstriker.com/
- Phone: (603)431-5222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our function space will accommodate up to 35 guests, and our Tavern is available for up to 50. Please contact us for further information or to schedule a visit. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Private Party Contact: Manager (603) 431-5222
- Entertainment: Entertainment 7 nights in The Spring Hill Tavern featuring outstanding artists from New England and beyond.
- Special Events: The Dolphin Striker will only serve a special 4 course $50 per/person New Years Eve menu. Please click on the "news" link on Dolphin Strikers website for the menu.
A word from Dolphin Striker
Set in a historic building at the corner of Ceres and Bow Streets, and steps to Portsmouth Harbor, The Dolphin Striker is a gem in Portsmouth’s dining scene. Chef/Owner Scott Massidda's thoughtfully crafted menu presents a diverse cuisine inspired by flavors from all over the world. Scott gives our diners a wide variety of seafood delights from lobster to sea bass. Visitors and foodies alike are invited to visit and dine on the world cuisine with a New England style that we offer. With its curbside appeal and great location nestled amongst Portsmouth’s galleries and boutiques, The Dolphin Striker is a ‘must-see’ when in Portsmouth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dolphin Striker - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Dolphin Striker reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (30)fit for foodies (30)romantic (25)good for groups (19)scenic view (16)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We wanted to eat downstairs so that we would have a seat for the band once they started playing. We got there at 730 .. .but no go. But then I saw other people seated after us. . .didn't feel right. So we went to another place. You should have your choice of seating if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014our main complaint with Dolphin Striker was the waitress. From the time we arrived and before we sat down she wanted a drink order which we rushed to give her. Thereafter I told her we wanted to take our time, but that meant nothing. The restaurant was practically empty, but she kept bothering us for our food order until we gave it to her. Crabcakes and seafood trio very mediocre; companion's lobster roll was ok; oysters were good. Sometimes waitstaff can ruin a perfectly good dinner!
- Love this place!JanikaDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere, and the friendliest and most helpful host (maybe manager or owner?) who made us feel quite welcome. My husband and I dined this past Saturday night, and let the host know our friends from Boston were on their way but would be late for our reservation. We were seated cheerfully and never felt rushed in the least. It was busy, so the service was a bit slow, but we did not mind as we caught up with our friends. All our meals were excellent - we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Friendly & accommodatingtinman2ironmanDined on 8/22/2014Tavern downstairs - very historic with old world charm! Cool fish pond inside, certainly a good spot to check out with a pint of beer or glass of wine. Upstairs - touristy heavy food, the plates are large and presentation is clumsy. The food was tasty however all one note on the plate. Salads were very fresh! Overall - friendly service, accommodating staff and happy employees refilling glasses, taking away cleared plates and wiping down the table between courses. I enjoyed it, for the price I left expecting more.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner spotHamptonlocalsDined on 8/20/2014The food was cooked perfectly and seemed to be very fresh. The portions were good sized but not oversized. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceluv2eatDined on 8/16/2014This was the second time we had dined at this restaurant. The first time we also waited forever for our food but there was party there so I understood that when our food took a while to be served. Food was OK. We thought we would try again and again we waited for our food for almost over an hour. Service was not good. Very, very noisey. I would not recommend the restaurant. We did go to the bar downstairs prior to our reservation and that experience was OK. There are a lot of restaurants in Portsmouth, NH so I would not return to this one.
- Great entres, and historyBigforkspoonDined on 8/15/2014We loved the Entres especially the cous cous and waiter was very informative and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food at Dolphin StrikerspeaktruthDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant decor was charming, the location ideal, but when we walked in at 7:30 the restaurant was almost completely empty. This is a bad sign- the first and most important red flag signalling disaster. Anyway. We ordered (of course the best tables were available) and the food arrived quickly. We had the lobster chowder, which was creamy, hot and tasted like cream and flour. Then we had the seafood paella, a large pile of yellow rice that consisted of frozen peas& carrots and some vague seafood that no flavor at all. Best part was the 2 pieces of shrimp which were fresh (not seasoned but fresh). The paella was simply beyond rescue, there was no amount of salt or pepper could salvage the dish. It was awful. The waitress was nice.Special Features:
- Great service, good foodJonPVIPDined on 8/10/2014Nothing blew me away about this place. The service was great and the food was pretty good. The ambiance was nothing special and it was a little stuffy in there. Overall the food was enjoyable, loved our server, and we had a nice experience.Special Features:
- Not goodBrookeDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went to the dolphin striker on Saturday night, 8/9/14.The food was horrible. My meat was served raw when I asked for it to be cooked medium well. They took it back to the kitchen and refired the same piece of meat. Very disappointed with our night out here and we will not be returning. With all the other wonderful restaurants in Portsmouth, no need to ever eat here!
- Great Experience, As AlwaysChesterDuPontDined on 8/4/2014The dinner was a business meeting for my Canadian customer and his wife plus my wife. We come to the Dolphin Striker for special occasions. The food was outstanding and Samantha did a fantastic job with the service. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- our favorite placeDCnicknameDined on 8/1/2014My girlfriend and I love to visit portsmouth and every time we come we visit the striker. Great people and food is amazing. A must for anyone going to portsmouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!Momof3Dined on 8/1/2014The chef agreed to make a dish to my liking. It was fabulous! Service was average. Waitress seemed annoyed with our large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great good, great server but veryAnneDined on 7/19/2014Love this place, excellent good but they were unable to deal with a Saturday night"second seating". Had to wait well over an hour for our food. A comp glass of wine or dessert on the house would have been a nice gestureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes all the difference!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014We came across Dolphin Striker thru an Open Table search for dinner for two at the last minute on a Saturday night. From the minute we walked in, we felt welcome. The host gave us a table with a view, when I mentioned I'd read about the view on-line. The server was friendly and helpful in deciding what to order...we loved the cheese plate that she recommended. The server knew we were out for "date night" and didn't rush us thru our meal...the timing was perfect. It was a lovely night and the bill was very reasonable. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Tried and true!SeacoastNativeDined on 7/19/2014The ambiance, service, cuisine and location were all outstanding. We have never been disappointed by dining at the Dolphin Striker!! Peter and his staff go out of their way to accommodate and the online reservation system makes life easy when booking a reservation on a weekend evening during the height of "tourist season". My wife and I believe the Dolphin Striker is easily one of the best dining destinations in Portsmouth... and it has been for years.Special Features:
- great foodcurt21Dined on 7/18/2014Our party all had lobster dishes of different sorts. One had the sliders from the lighter fare menu. The lobster slider was chock full of claw meat and he said the other sliders were good as well. 2 of us had the lobster ravioli that was on the specials for that evening. They were absolutely delicious. My wife enjoyed the lobster mac n cheese a great deal. She could've had the smaller portion, as the dinner portion was enough for 2. Overall it was a fantastic dining experience. Our server was great. The atmosphere is old style new england. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable family reunion dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014We had 14 family members from 4 countries with us for 5 days and went out to eat only once - for dinner at the Dolphin Striker on a Monday night. We asked for a quiet spot, and had a wonderful ambiance in the back room with a view of the tugboats and sufficient quiet to have meaningful conversations without being interrupted or unable to hear ourselves think. The food and service were outstanding. Even those used to European cuisine commented it was the best meal they'd had in months (well, they'd just been camping...)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotNAD1Dined on 7/13/2014Great meal, nice ambience, good service - would definitely go back and recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dolphin Striker-July 2014SebeChickDined on 7/12/2014It's many years since we last dined here-the neighborhood has certainly become a busy scene! The only problem was parking; we wound up in the parking garage. That's strange: one entrance had a "Lot Full-Tag Holders Only" sign. That was discouraging. But-we drove around the block, found another entrance, unblocked by any signage, and rolled right in. Dinner was excellent, service friendly, though a little slow at the end. We were disappointed that the place wasn't busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy & DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We made a last minute decision to head to Portsmouth for the 4th of July fireworks that were reschedule to Saturday, July 5th due to weather. Through Open Table we saw the Dolphin Striker had openings around the time we wanted to go 7:30. We did not see the Dolphin Striker on the recommended restaurants at the hotel and/or on the Portsmouth map they hand out. I read a few of the reviews and decided to give it a try. I am so glad we did. The food was fantastic. I had the Blackened Tuna and I could not have been happier. I wanted to go back two more times since and it is only July 11th :) My husband had the Lobster St. Topez and he really enjoyed his meal as well. The owner was very friendly and our service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantJoMasDined on 7/5/2014Nice place, don't have to get dressed up, food was good, the wine was okay, didn't stay for dessert. Clean and casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has changedBirthdayVIPDined on 6/28/2014We were here in December 2013 and had a gret meal. The lobster chowder arrived lukewarm and had to be sent back. Although the green salad was presented beautifully, no dressing could be found. We were 3 people and were given a quarter loaf of bread (basically one slice each). The portion of the Beef Wellington was ridiculous for the price...there were more peas than beef and it was swimming n a less than memorable sauce. We would need some real convincing to return.
- Great dining experience!KnowlesDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I, her cousin and her husband went to the Dolphin Striker as a first time experience. We were not dissapointed. We made reservations informing them we had not dined there before and we were a few minutes late but called to inform them. They treated us like gold and put us at a great table so we could truly enjoy the restaurant view and the views outside. Our server could not have been better. We first ordered drinks and they got the drinks perfectly and my wife is fussy about her martini. We were pleasantly surprised at some to the menu offerings and the specials. We ordered four different entrees, the braciole, scallops, 3-way tuna and haddock and all were excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dining ExperienceSuesmcdDined on 6/14/2014After making a reservation via Open Table the owner Peter contacted me to make me aware of some unexpected conditions due to a large party. He kept in contact with me and treated us like royalty when we arrived. He managed to get us in! Our waiter Dennis was superb, we couldn't have asked for better service and the food was great.Special Features:
- Great slice of PortsmouthJon2datymulsDined on 6/13/2014Not many restaurants can stand the test of time in Portsmouth like the Dolphin Striker has. My wife and I had one of our very 1st dates here a few years ago. Every year since we have go back twice a year, once for restaurant week and the other for our anniversary. The food is great, always a good serving. You are not getting cheated out of your money with a small plate like some other restaurants.Special Features:
- Good, not quite outstandingsskennelDined on 6/7/2014It had been years since I've been to the Dolphin Striker and it was a convenient place for dinner with my visiting family, so I decided to try it again. The restaurant's menu is much improved from my memory of it. Both our waitress and the owner were friendly and helpful. The historic setting is delightful, although one disadvantage of the quaint surroundings is that the A/C seems to have only two settings: freezer and suffocation. The kitchen seemed a little bit slow, but this was a family dinner and we weren't in a hurry, so this didn't bother us too much. A few of us tried the Lobster St. Tropez and all enjoyed it. My family seemed to like the wine selection - I'm not enough of a wine drinker to judge it.
- HistoricBostongalDined on 6/7/2014We were visiting in Portsmouth and heard great things about Dolphin Striker. We dined on the early side (6:30) on a Saturday night. We started with the cheese plate which was very nice. My husband had the seared scallops and they were VERY good. I had the seafood trio broiled with lemon butter. The shrimp was very tough and all of it was a little tasteless. Perhaps it they had served the lemon butter on the side it would have allowed me to season to taste. The restaurant is very historic and nicely appointed. We faced the water, but really didn't have much of a view. Our waitress was pleasant and adequate. The prices were what you would expect for a nice restaurant. I'm glad we went, but I wouldn't go back again.Special Features:
- great service, reliable foodSkipDined on 5/30/2014Try the "Seafood" trio as a starter. Modest portions but excellent quality. The entrees were deliciuos and the servers offer you options for the starch and veggies which is very helpful. been herebefore. very reliableSpecial Features:
- I will not returnPartTimeFoodiesDined on 5/24/2014The service was abysmal - took 20 minutes to get a drink after we were seated and almost 2 hours for our dinner to arrive. Unbeknownst to us, there was live music scheduled to play 2.5 hours after our reservation. The band showed up about 1.5 hours after we sat down (still waiting for our food) and set up right next to us. The bumped into our chairs and started testing their instruments - it got pretty obnoxious. The food - when it finally arrived - was pretty good. Mine wasn't _really_ hot; but my wife said that her's was.
- Consistant favoriteopa2fourDined on 5/24/2014Once again we were well served and the meal was amazing. Have been there multiple times and always leave satisfied with the food choices, flavor and service. Interesting history to the building. Worth the trip to read about it and see the well in the lower level. Portsmouth has a multitude of good restaurants. The Dolphin Stryker is our favorite.Special Features:
- Great foodNicBDined on 5/23/2014Loved the tuna 3 ways and blackened dishes. Awesome menu. Prices are good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic and pleasantoutandaboutDined on 5/23/2014Dined on a rainy Friday night, after being seated and with drinks placed, manager stopped at our table to say there would be two or three large groups and the service could be slow, although hoped that wasn't the case. We appreciated the warning and chose to stay hoping for the best. Since we weren't in a hurry the service suited our need and while a little slow, nothing of major concern. Food was great, our waitress was very attentive. Cozy, atmosphere particularly for a rainy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- appallingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014I am not really finicky but this place was truly bad
- Close to being greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014We went to this restaurant for mother's day. We had reservations and were seated quickly. The waiter was very pleasant but incredibly slow. Want more water?? well, wait for your ice to melt. Took forever for them to provide bread and an additional 15 mins to bring butter for the bread. The food was very good. Portions were just a tad small. There are a lot of great restaurants in Portsmouth. This isn't at the top of the list but it's not bad either.Special Features:
- ExcellentTimmyDined on 5/11/2014We had an early dinner scheduled for Mother's Day. The staff was considerate and friendly and made every effort to accommodate us and our 9 month old little girl. They were wonderful. The food was also very, very good. A few of our party had a tuna appetizer that was terrific. Our experience was really wonderful.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedFoodLover5Dined on 5/11/2014I took my mother here on Mothers Day, and was pleasantly surprised. Their menu wasn't on their site due to site construction so I was a little leery before hand. Right when we walked in we were greeted and seated (we were 20 minutes early for our reservation). The inside was cute, exposed beams, and there was a rustic but classy feel. The server we had was great and took our drink orders the second we sat down. The food was really good, and wasn't too pricey for a Mothers Day lunch. Overall our experience was great, and I will be going back.Special Features:
- Good food, long waitSnowyPloverDined on 5/11/2014We went here for Mother's Day brunch. Our party of 6, and the three other nearby tables with small children, waited over an our for our food to arrive. The service was friendly, though no apology was made for the wait. There was a special menu for the occasion. The food was very good and the ambiance was very nice. Perhaps a better destination for a romantic date rather than an outing with kids.Special Features:
- Lovely night!LauraDined on 5/10/2014Really did not know what to expect, our first visit. Service was fabulous (thank you, Ann), enjoyed a cozy window seat with view of the harbor and the busy, happy crowd outside. We both ordered Haddock Oscar - superb! We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 634 reviews are from the Dolphin Striker reviews archive.
- Waited over an hour for appetizerPZColcapVIPDined on 5/3/2014They didn't seem that busy or rushed. Got our two glasses of wine right away, but waited an hour for an appetizer,then another half hour for entree. No bread or anything to munch on in that time. Food was OK, not bad, but my dinner was cold. Cute place, very friendly folks just wicked slow.Special Features: