15 Bow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dolphinstriker.com/
- Phone: (603) 431-5222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our function space will accommodate up to 35 guests, and our Tavern is available for up to 50. Please contact us for further information or to schedule a visit. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Private Party Contact: Manager (603) 431-5222
- Entertainment: Entertainment 7 nights in The Spring Hill Tavern featuring outstanding artists from New England and beyond.
- Special Events: The Dolphin Striker will only serve a special 4 course $50 per/person New Years Eve menu. Please click on the "news" link on Dolphin Strikers website for the menu.
A word from Dolphin Striker
Set in a historic building at the corner of Ceres and Bow Streets, and steps to Portsmouth Harbor, The Dolphin Striker is a gem in Portsmouth’s dining scene. Chef/Owner Scott Massidda's thoughtfully crafted menu presents a diverse cuisine inspired by flavors from all over the world. Scott gives our diners a wide variety of seafood delights from lobster to sea bass. Visitors and foodies alike are invited to visit and dine on the world cuisine with a New England style that we offer. With its curbside appeal and great location nestled amongst Portsmouth’s galleries and boutiques, The Dolphin Striker is a ‘must-see’ when in Portsmouth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dolphin Striker reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (26)romantic (24)good for groups (17)notable wine list (10)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (8)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Service was excellent, but the food was ordinary.dineoutoften79Dined on 11/21/2014In a town so full of great restaurants, The Dolphin Striker needs to up its game. Traditional New England fare can be a welcome comfort food, but it should be done really well, and hopefully with imagination, otherwise it feels dated and forgettable. The food was not bad, it just wasn't special. Again, service was excellent.
- Restaurant WeekGurlzDined on 11/15/2014In fairness on service it was restaurant week so they were very busy and it is a tough place for servers to get through. Our server was very pleasant. The food was exceptional and we had the bonus of going downstairs after to dance to the live band Freight Train.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dolphin Striker, great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014We had 10 of us there; family gathering, sat at the counter near the window. Seafood trio appetizer is a must-have; great seafood (of course). We all had a great time, goodo fun and good fun. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014Pricey, but the food was just average. My meal was cold...which always drives me crazy. Not what I was expecting based on other reviews. Maybe because it was a Sunday evening, most likely not their busiest evening.
- Wonderful Foodluv2eatoutDined on 11/9/2014There were 3 of us for dinner this night. It is one of the restaurants my husband and I love to go to, especially during restaurant week where you can essentially pick from their regular menu of appetizers and entrees. The lobster mac & cheese appetizer is fabulous - 2 in our group had it. I had the apple, prosciutto & fruit salad. I had blackened mahi mahi, which was delicious. My husband had the Braciole, and the 3rd person had blackened tuna. This is a great restaurant - we often forget about it because it is expensive. However, it does offer lite fare, which is much more affordable.Special Features:
- Always Very GoodJlkdohDined on 11/7/2014Our friends and us have a tradition, twice a year during restaurant week, to drive the hour to Portsmouth and eat at the Dolphin Striker. The Cocktail Trio is my "go to" starter and the fish preparations have so much variety we each leave so satisfied we commit to the next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal in PortsmouthBob47Dined on 11/7/2014Very good food in ample amounts - went with party of 6 - loud table next to us made conversation bit difficult. Had the Oscar Haddock which was stuffed with crabmeat on bed of asparagus - plenty of food. One of our group had to return their salmon because it was not hot which they did promptly & without fuss. Veal Saltimbocca and scallops very good. Went during restaurant week so felt we received very good value for the price - $30 for 3 courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinkDined on 11/7/2014The Dolphin Striker never disappoints. Never...The food and service is always top shelf, and the ambiance is better than most restaurants in Portsmout.Special Features:
- We were very satisfied.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2014This restaurant sits almost directly on the waterfront of charming Portsmouth, NH. The decor has a charm, authenticity and patina which you know has existed for hundreds of years. Wait staff was abundant and efficient, and the menu and wine list were more than adequate. We dined with our adult children and this restaurant pleased both generations. We would definitely return, when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKathyDined on 10/31/2014We returned for our 3rd visit. Despite reservations 3 months prior scrunched into small 2 person table with no view if water, people on street or bar. Food mot as memorable. Fish was fresh. Delightful waitressSpecial Features:
- Great foodjroushVIPDined on 10/31/2014The service and food was amazing. This was the second time we have eaten here and the service continues to be great with unbelievable food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun nightWonderfulDined on 10/25/2014Cool place with a great vibe. Mussels were off the hook! Make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNurseandDocDined on 10/25/2014This was one of many times we've returned because we had a first date here. We want to like it, but the experience isn't in line with the price. The salad we were served this time was skimpy to say the least, we had to hunt to find anything other than arugula. When we questioned why there was no Gorgonzola cheese, we were told the recipe was changed. The waiter was good but the meal was slow. Someone in management said the cooks were overwhelmed. I think we'll try somewhere else.Special Features:
- happy dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014my husband and I went to celebrate our 30th in Portsmouth and had dinner here. It was a wonderful dinner-fresh food-I commented I had never tasted such sweet scollops in my life (pan seared). It's a great location and lots of walking after a delicious meal was just perfect.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC AS ALWAYSHappyCamperNHDined on 10/11/2014Dolphin Striker is my wife & my favorite place to go for seafood. Great food, margaritas, service(Peggy was super, again!!) Had relatives from Ohio with us and they could not stop talking about the food. The talking was after dinner, because the food was superb.Special Features:
- foodieflurryDined on 10/5/2014Disappointing! The service was slow ;we had to ask another waitress for a drink and water. The food was tasty but cooling. It had been sitting a while and cold holladaise is not appealing.Special Features:
- Seafood lovers' delight!cravegoodfoodDined on 10/3/2014We loved the food so much, we went back a second night! The Seafood Trio was scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deflatedwesternnhfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We drove 2 hours to eat at this highly recommended restaurant. The food was wonderful. Our waitress was useless. Unfortunately for her, the nearby waitress was outstanding. That waitress explained specials to her customers and even refilled our water glasses! Our food came after a second batch of customers were seated and served on either side of us! I had to literally get up from the table to find our waitress and ask her about our orders! Our reservations were for 6:15, our dinners were served after 8:00p! Once our waitress realized how much we had been ignored, then she checked on us........ We were offered a free drink for our inconvenience...........seriously?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodjroushVIPDined on 9/26/2014The cheese plate was very good with a good variety for an appetizer. I had the Lobster mac & cheese which was amazingly good. Will go back for this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirgsVIPDined on 9/23/2014Sea scallops beautifully presented but disappointed as overly salted. Mahi mahi with picatta preparation very tasty.Special Features:
- Pure Charm1stFirstLadyDined on 9/23/2014Want the quintessential New England experience complete with authentic wide pumpkin pine floors in the heart of charming Portsmouth, New Hampshire--this is IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, not great for the moneyRBW1Dined on 9/20/2014Party of four, bill including tip was $220. Service slow, even with reservations, but maitre D told us to expect that when we entered, and we were not in a hurry. My wife's haddock was dry and bland. They ran out of fettucine for my Braciole, and it was on the salty side. Waiter was pleasant, he was not the source of the problems. Not in a hurry to return.
- Great place to celebrate a birthdayBdaydelightDined on 9/17/2014I was pleased with the quality of the seafood trip and the flavorful wine. Thank you for a terrific meal to celebrate my friend's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic Portsmouth restaurant!WineDineFine4usDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I were visiting Portsmouth so decided to dine here. We were very glad we did since the food was delicious and our waiter Dennis provided excellent service. The menu offered interesting choices - true New England fare and then some. We shared a tasty Goat Cheese Walnut Salad and then both enjoyed the nicely prepared Seafood Trio of lobster, shrimp and scallops served with pasta which was their Picatta preparation. For dessert the Apple Crumble was a great finish to the meal on what felt like an early fall evening. We hope to return the next time we're in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice PlacefoodislifeDined on 9/6/2014Ambiance was great. Our waiter was excellent; very friendly, gave excellent suggestions, attentive without smothering us. Loved the cheese platter appetizer. Would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We wanted to eat downstairs so that we would have a seat for the band once they started playing. We got there at 730 .. .but no go. But then I saw other people seated after us. . .didn't feel right. So we went to another place. You should have your choice of seating if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014our main complaint with Dolphin Striker was the waitress. From the time we arrived and before we sat down she wanted a drink order which we rushed to give her. Thereafter I told her we wanted to take our time, but that meant nothing. The restaurant was practically empty, but she kept bothering us for our food order until we gave it to her. Crabcakes and seafood trio very mediocre; companion's lobster roll was ok; oysters were good. Sometimes waitstaff can ruin a perfectly good dinner!
- Love this place!JanikaDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere, and the friendliest and most helpful host (maybe manager or owner?) who made us feel quite welcome. My husband and I dined this past Saturday night, and let the host know our friends from Boston were on their way but would be late for our reservation. We were seated cheerfully and never felt rushed in the least. It was busy, so the service was a bit slow, but we did not mind as we caught up with our friends. All our meals were excellent - we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Friendly & accommodatingtinman2ironmanDined on 8/22/2014Tavern downstairs - very historic with old world charm! Cool fish pond inside, certainly a good spot to check out with a pint of beer or glass of wine. Upstairs - touristy heavy food, the plates are large and presentation is clumsy. The food was tasty however all one note on the plate. Salads were very fresh! Overall - friendly service, accommodating staff and happy employees refilling glasses, taking away cleared plates and wiping down the table between courses. I enjoyed it, for the price I left expecting more.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner spotHamptonlocalsDined on 8/20/2014The food was cooked perfectly and seemed to be very fresh. The portions were good sized but not oversized. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceluv2eatDined on 8/16/2014This was the second time we had dined at this restaurant. The first time we also waited forever for our food but there was party there so I understood that when our food took a while to be served. Food was OK. We thought we would try again and again we waited for our food for almost over an hour. Service was not good. Very, very noisey. I would not recommend the restaurant. We did go to the bar downstairs prior to our reservation and that experience was OK. There are a lot of restaurants in Portsmouth, NH so I would not return to this one.
- Great entres, and historyBigforkspoonDined on 8/15/2014We loved the Entres especially the cous cous and waiter was very informative and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food at Dolphin StrikerspeaktruthDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant decor was charming, the location ideal, but when we walked in at 7:30 the restaurant was almost completely empty. This is a bad sign- the first and most important red flag signalling disaster. Anyway. We ordered (of course the best tables were available) and the food arrived quickly. We had the lobster chowder, which was creamy, hot and tasted like cream and flour. Then we had the seafood paella, a large pile of yellow rice that consisted of frozen peas& carrots and some vague seafood that no flavor at all. Best part was the 2 pieces of shrimp which were fresh (not seasoned but fresh). The paella was simply beyond rescue, there was no amount of salt or pepper could salvage the dish. It was awful. The waitress was nice.Special Features:
- Great service, good foodJonPVIPDined on 8/10/2014Nothing blew me away about this place. The service was great and the food was pretty good. The ambiance was nothing special and it was a little stuffy in there. Overall the food was enjoyable, loved our server, and we had a nice experience.Special Features:
- Not goodBrookeDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went to the dolphin striker on Saturday night, 8/9/14.The food was horrible. My meat was served raw when I asked for it to be cooked medium well. They took it back to the kitchen and refired the same piece of meat. Very disappointed with our night out here and we will not be returning. With all the other wonderful restaurants in Portsmouth, no need to ever eat here!
- Great Experience, As AlwaysChesterDuPontDined on 8/4/2014The dinner was a business meeting for my Canadian customer and his wife plus my wife. We come to the Dolphin Striker for special occasions. The food was outstanding and Samantha did a fantastic job with the service. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- our favorite placeDCnicknameDined on 8/1/2014My girlfriend and I love to visit portsmouth and every time we come we visit the striker. Great people and food is amazing. A must for anyone going to portsmouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!Momof3Dined on 8/1/2014The chef agreed to make a dish to my liking. It was fabulous! Service was average. Waitress seemed annoyed with our large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 661 reviews are from the Dolphin Striker reviews archive.
- great good, great server but veryAnneVIPDined on 7/19/2014Love this place, excellent good but they were unable to deal with a Saturday night"second seating". Had to wait well over an hour for our food. A comp glass of wine or dessert on the house would have been a nice gestureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes all the difference!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014We came across Dolphin Striker thru an Open Table search for dinner for two at the last minute on a Saturday night. From the minute we walked in, we felt welcome. The host gave us a table with a view, when I mentioned I'd read about the view on-line. The server was friendly and helpful in deciding what to order...we loved the cheese plate that she recommended. The server knew we were out for "date night" and didn't rush us thru our meal...the timing was perfect. It was a lovely night and the bill was very reasonable. Looking forward to going back.Special Features: