15 Bow Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.dolphinstriker.com/
- Phone: (603)431-5222
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Massidda
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our function space will accommodate up to 35 guests, and our Tavern is available for up to 50. Please contact us for further information or to schedule a visit. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Private Party Contact: Manager (603) 431-5222
- Entertainment: Entertainment 7 nights in The Spring Hill Tavern featuring outstanding artists from New England and beyond.
- Special Events: The Dolphin Striker will only serve a special 4 course $50 per/person New Years Eve menu. Please click on the "news" link on Dolphin Strikers website for the menu.
A word from Dolphin Striker
Set in a historic building at the corner of Ceres and Bow Streets, and steps to Portsmouth Harbor, The Dolphin Striker is a gem in Portsmouth’s dining scene. Chef/Owner Scott Massidda's thoughtfully crafted menu presents a diverse cuisine inspired by flavors from all over the world. Scott gives our diners a wide variety of seafood delights from lobster to sea bass. Visitors and foodies alike are invited to visit and dine on the world cuisine with a New England style that we offer. With its curbside appeal and great location nestled amongst Portsmouth’s galleries and boutiques, The Dolphin Striker is a ‘must-see’ when in Portsmouth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dolphin Striker reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)fit for foodies (26)special occasion (21)romantic (20)good for groups (15)scenic view (13)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- happy dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/15/2014my husband and I went to celebrate our 30th in Portsmouth and had dinner here. It was a wonderful dinner-fresh food-I commented I had never tasted such sweet scollops in my life (pan seared). It's a great location and lots of walking after a delicious meal was just perfect.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC AS ALWAYSHappyCamperNHDined on 10/11/2014Dolphin Striker is my wife & my favorite place to go for seafood. Great food, margaritas, service(Peggy was super, again!!) Had relatives from Ohio with us and they could not stop talking about the food. The talking was after dinner, because the food was superb.Special Features:
- foodieflurryDined on 10/5/2014Disappointing! The service was slow ;we had to ask another waitress for a drink and water. The food was tasty but cooling. It had been sitting a while and cold holladaise is not appealing.Special Features:
- Seafood lovers' delight!cravegoodfoodDined on 10/3/2014We loved the food so much, we went back a second night! The Seafood Trio was scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deflatedwesternnhfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We drove 2 hours to eat at this highly recommended restaurant. The food was wonderful. Our waitress was useless. Unfortunately for her, the nearby waitress was outstanding. That waitress explained specials to her customers and even refilled our water glasses! Our food came after a second batch of customers were seated and served on either side of us! I had to literally get up from the table to find our waitress and ask her about our orders! Our reservations were for 6:15, our dinners were served after 8:00p! Once our waitress realized how much we had been ignored, then she checked on us........ We were offered a free drink for our inconvenience...........seriously?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodjroushVIPDined on 9/26/2014The cheese plate was very good with a good variety for an appetizer. I had the Lobster mac & cheese which was amazingly good. Will go back for this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirgsVIPDined on 9/23/2014Sea scallops beautifully presented but disappointed as overly salted. Mahi mahi with picatta preparation very tasty.Special Features:
- Pure Charm1stFirstLadyDined on 9/23/2014Want the quintessential New England experience complete with authentic wide pumpkin pine floors in the heart of charming Portsmouth, New Hampshire--this is IT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK, not great for the moneyRBW1Dined on 9/20/2014Party of four, bill including tip was $220. Service slow, even with reservations, but maitre D told us to expect that when we entered, and we were not in a hurry. My wife's haddock was dry and bland. They ran out of fettucine for my Braciole, and it was on the salty side. Waiter was pleasant, he was not the source of the problems. Not in a hurry to return.
- Great place to celebrate a birthdayBdaydelightDined on 9/17/2014I was pleased with the quality of the seafood trip and the flavorful wine. Thank you for a terrific meal to celebrate my friend's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic Portsmouth restaurant!WineDineFine4usDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I were visiting Portsmouth so decided to dine here. We were very glad we did since the food was delicious and our waiter Dennis provided excellent service. The menu offered interesting choices - true New England fare and then some. We shared a tasty Goat Cheese Walnut Salad and then both enjoyed the nicely prepared Seafood Trio of lobster, shrimp and scallops served with pasta which was their Picatta preparation. For dessert the Apple Crumble was a great finish to the meal on what felt like an early fall evening. We hope to return the next time we're in Portsmouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice PlacefoodislifeDined on 9/6/2014Ambiance was great. Our waiter was excellent; very friendly, gave excellent suggestions, attentive without smothering us. Loved the cheese platter appetizer. Would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We wanted to eat downstairs so that we would have a seat for the band once they started playing. We got there at 730 .. .but no go. But then I saw other people seated after us. . .didn't feel right. So we went to another place. You should have your choice of seating if possibleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/25/2014our main complaint with Dolphin Striker was the waitress. From the time we arrived and before we sat down she wanted a drink order which we rushed to give her. Thereafter I told her we wanted to take our time, but that meant nothing. The restaurant was practically empty, but she kept bothering us for our food order until we gave it to her. Crabcakes and seafood trio very mediocre; companion's lobster roll was ok; oysters were good. Sometimes waitstaff can ruin a perfectly good dinner!
- Love this place!JanikaDined on 8/23/2014Delicious food, great atmosphere, and the friendliest and most helpful host (maybe manager or owner?) who made us feel quite welcome. My husband and I dined this past Saturday night, and let the host know our friends from Boston were on their way but would be late for our reservation. We were seated cheerfully and never felt rushed in the least. It was busy, so the service was a bit slow, but we did not mind as we caught up with our friends. All our meals were excellent - we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Friendly & accommodatingtinman2ironmanDined on 8/22/2014Tavern downstairs - very historic with old world charm! Cool fish pond inside, certainly a good spot to check out with a pint of beer or glass of wine. Upstairs - touristy heavy food, the plates are large and presentation is clumsy. The food was tasty however all one note on the plate. Salads were very fresh! Overall - friendly service, accommodating staff and happy employees refilling glasses, taking away cleared plates and wiping down the table between courses. I enjoyed it, for the price I left expecting more.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner spotHamptonlocalsDined on 8/20/2014The food was cooked perfectly and seemed to be very fresh. The portions were good sized but not oversized. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceluv2eatDined on 8/16/2014This was the second time we had dined at this restaurant. The first time we also waited forever for our food but there was party there so I understood that when our food took a while to be served. Food was OK. We thought we would try again and again we waited for our food for almost over an hour. Service was not good. Very, very noisey. I would not recommend the restaurant. We did go to the bar downstairs prior to our reservation and that experience was OK. There are a lot of restaurants in Portsmouth, NH so I would not return to this one.
- Great entres, and historyBigforkspoonDined on 8/15/2014We loved the Entres especially the cous cous and waiter was very informative and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food at Dolphin StrikerspeaktruthDined on 8/10/2014The restaurant decor was charming, the location ideal, but when we walked in at 7:30 the restaurant was almost completely empty. This is a bad sign- the first and most important red flag signalling disaster. Anyway. We ordered (of course the best tables were available) and the food arrived quickly. We had the lobster chowder, which was creamy, hot and tasted like cream and flour. Then we had the seafood paella, a large pile of yellow rice that consisted of frozen peas& carrots and some vague seafood that no flavor at all. Best part was the 2 pieces of shrimp which were fresh (not seasoned but fresh). The paella was simply beyond rescue, there was no amount of salt or pepper could salvage the dish. It was awful. The waitress was nice.Special Features:
- Great service, good foodJonPVIPDined on 8/10/2014Nothing blew me away about this place. The service was great and the food was pretty good. The ambiance was nothing special and it was a little stuffy in there. Overall the food was enjoyable, loved our server, and we had a nice experience.Special Features:
- Not goodBrookeDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I went to the dolphin striker on Saturday night, 8/9/14.The food was horrible. My meat was served raw when I asked for it to be cooked medium well. They took it back to the kitchen and refired the same piece of meat. Very disappointed with our night out here and we will not be returning. With all the other wonderful restaurants in Portsmouth, no need to ever eat here!
- Great Experience, As AlwaysChesterDuPontDined on 8/4/2014The dinner was a business meeting for my Canadian customer and his wife plus my wife. We come to the Dolphin Striker for special occasions. The food was outstanding and Samantha did a fantastic job with the service. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- our favorite placeDCnicknameDined on 8/1/2014My girlfriend and I love to visit portsmouth and every time we come we visit the striker. Great people and food is amazing. A must for anyone going to portsmouthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal ever!Momof3Dined on 8/1/2014The chef agreed to make a dish to my liking. It was fabulous! Service was average. Waitress seemed annoyed with our large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great good, great server but veryAnneVIPDined on 7/19/2014Love this place, excellent good but they were unable to deal with a Saturday night"second seating". Had to wait well over an hour for our food. A comp glass of wine or dessert on the house would have been a nice gestureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service makes all the difference!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014We came across Dolphin Striker thru an Open Table search for dinner for two at the last minute on a Saturday night. From the minute we walked in, we felt welcome. The host gave us a table with a view, when I mentioned I'd read about the view on-line. The server was friendly and helpful in deciding what to order...we loved the cheese plate that she recommended. The server knew we were out for "date night" and didn't rush us thru our meal...the timing was perfect. It was a lovely night and the bill was very reasonable. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Tried and true!SeacoastNativeDined on 7/19/2014The ambiance, service, cuisine and location were all outstanding. We have never been disappointed by dining at the Dolphin Striker!! Peter and his staff go out of their way to accommodate and the online reservation system makes life easy when booking a reservation on a weekend evening during the height of "tourist season". My wife and I believe the Dolphin Striker is easily one of the best dining destinations in Portsmouth... and it has been for years.Special Features:
- great foodcurt21Dined on 7/18/2014Our party all had lobster dishes of different sorts. One had the sliders from the lighter fare menu. The lobster slider was chock full of claw meat and he said the other sliders were good as well. 2 of us had the lobster ravioli that was on the specials for that evening. They were absolutely delicious. My wife enjoyed the lobster mac n cheese a great deal. She could've had the smaller portion, as the dinner portion was enough for 2. Overall it was a fantastic dining experience. Our server was great. The atmosphere is old style new england. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- memorable family reunion dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014We had 14 family members from 4 countries with us for 5 days and went out to eat only once - for dinner at the Dolphin Striker on a Monday night. We asked for a quiet spot, and had a wonderful ambiance in the back room with a view of the tugboats and sufficient quiet to have meaningful conversations without being interrupted or unable to hear ourselves think. The food and service were outstanding. Even those used to European cuisine commented it was the best meal they'd had in months (well, they'd just been camping...)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotNAD1Dined on 7/13/2014Great meal, nice ambience, good service - would definitely go back and recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dolphin Striker-July 2014SebeChickDined on 7/12/2014It's many years since we last dined here-the neighborhood has certainly become a busy scene! The only problem was parking; we wound up in the parking garage. That's strange: one entrance had a "Lot Full-Tag Holders Only" sign. That was discouraging. But-we drove around the block, found another entrance, unblocked by any signage, and rolled right in. Dinner was excellent, service friendly, though a little slow at the end. We were disappointed that the place wasn't busier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been there, Done thatresturantjunkieVIPDined on 7/9/2014Ordered the Seafood Paella. Way over cooked, basically it was a large glutenous glob of over cooked food. Also found the wine list to be way over priced. Equally, bar drinks were pricey and clearly were carefully poured not to exceed a shot glass worth's. Nice setting, but not nice enough to compensate for the food.
- Yummy & DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2014We made a last minute decision to head to Portsmouth for the 4th of July fireworks that were reschedule to Saturday, July 5th due to weather. Through Open Table we saw the Dolphin Striker had openings around the time we wanted to go 7:30. We did not see the Dolphin Striker on the recommended restaurants at the hotel and/or on the Portsmouth map they hand out. I read a few of the reviews and decided to give it a try. I am so glad we did. The food was fantastic. I had the Blackened Tuna and I could not have been happier. I wanted to go back two more times since and it is only July 11th :) My husband had the Lobster St. Topez and he really enjoyed his meal as well. The owner was very friendly and our service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantJoMasDined on 7/5/2014Nice place, don't have to get dressed up, food was good, the wine was okay, didn't stay for dessert. Clean and casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has changedBirthdayVIPDined on 6/28/2014We were here in December 2013 and had a gret meal. The lobster chowder arrived lukewarm and had to be sent back. Although the green salad was presented beautifully, no dressing could be found. We were 3 people and were given a quarter loaf of bread (basically one slice each). The portion of the Beef Wellington was ridiculous for the price...there were more peas than beef and it was swimming n a less than memorable sauce. We would need some real convincing to return.
- The following 650 reviews are from the Dolphin Striker reviews archive.
- Great dining experience!KnowlesDined on 6/20/2014My wife and I, her cousin and her husband went to the Dolphin Striker as a first time experience. We were not dissapointed. We made reservations informing them we had not dined there before and we were a few minutes late but called to inform them. They treated us like gold and put us at a great table so we could truly enjoy the restaurant view and the views outside. Our server could not have been better. We first ordered drinks and they got the drinks perfectly and my wife is fussy about her martini. We were pleasantly surprised at some to the menu offerings and the specials. We ordered four different entrees, the braciole, scallops, 3-way tuna and haddock and all were excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dining ExperienceSuesmcdDined on 6/14/2014After making a reservation via Open Table the owner Peter contacted me to make me aware of some unexpected conditions due to a large party. He kept in contact with me and treated us like royalty when we arrived. He managed to get us in! Our waiter Dennis was superb, we couldn't have asked for better service and the food was great.Special Features:
- Great slice of PortsmouthJon2datymulsDined on 6/13/2014Not many restaurants can stand the test of time in Portsmouth like the Dolphin Striker has. My wife and I had one of our very 1st dates here a few years ago. Every year since we have go back twice a year, once for restaurant week and the other for our anniversary. The food is great, always a good serving. You are not getting cheated out of your money with a small plate like some other restaurants.Special Features:
- Good, not quite outstandingsskennelDined on 6/7/2014It had been years since I've been to the Dolphin Striker and it was a convenient place for dinner with my visiting family, so I decided to try it again. The restaurant's menu is much improved from my memory of it. Both our waitress and the owner were friendly and helpful. The historic setting is delightful, although one disadvantage of the quaint surroundings is that the A/C seems to have only two settings: freezer and suffocation. The kitchen seemed a little bit slow, but this was a family dinner and we weren't in a hurry, so this didn't bother us too much. A few of us tried the Lobster St. Tropez and all enjoyed it. My family seemed to like the wine selection - I'm not enough of a wine drinker to judge it.