Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant
1401 Strand Avenue
Tybee Island-Savannah Beach, GA 31328Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dolphinreef.com/
- Phone: (912) 786-8400
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 8:00am - 11:00am; Lunch Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
closed Monday and Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For Group Reservations, catering, and information on Private Events contact the Ocean Plaza Resort Sales Office at (912) 786-7777 ext. 524 or email: email@example.com.
Dolphin Reef is Tybee Island"s premier banquet and special event facility. Wedding Receptions and Birthday Parties are our specialty.
- Private Party Contact: Donna Hatcher 9127867777x524
- Entertainment: Steel The Show
Steel Drum Performer
every Saturday night from 6 PM to 10 PM
A word from Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant
You are invited to dine at the Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant & Bar where you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the Atlantic Ocean and nearby sandy beaches. Dolphin Reef features a flavorful fusion of American and Southern cuisines with an emphasis on fresh seafood, all presented in a unique underwater themed environment to make your dining experience memorable. Located in the Ocean Plaza Beach Resort, we are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We are also Tybee Island's premier banquet and special event facility. Come to Dolphin Reef where the only thing more spectacular than our food is the view. Tour groups are welcome, and we offer a kid's menu. Advance reservations are requested for groups of 8 or more people. Dolphin Reef is located 20 minutes East of Savannah, Georgia on U.S. Highway 80. Parking is free. Be sure to park inside Ocean Plaza Resort's parking lot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Reef ReviewNitamDined on 8/10/2013The dining experience was not what I expected after seeing their website (can you say photoshop). The restaurant is a lot older than the photos make it appear. The night we dined their was a wedding reception going on so there was no seating available in the restaurant we instead ate in the bar & grill section. I don't know if that would made our experience of the restaurant better or not but will never know being that we were visiting from North Carolina. I found the food rather pricey and menu selections very limited but my husband and I were able to find something to order and the food was decent and hot. The view from the restaurant is ocean front if you over look the fact that your directly over a public parking lot. It was just ok.Special Features:
- Delicious food and great viewBeachvisitorDined on 7/21/2013Terrible service. Server was unorganized, forgetful, and made errors. No apology for poor service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We read a lot of negativeDickDined on 7/12/2013We read a lot of negative reviews regarding poor service, poor quality and quantity of food, but decided to have dinner and make our own decision. We have only good things to say, from the hostess to the wait staff and the food, the manager stopped by several times to see how things were. We both had the Captains Platter and it was prepared perfectly. May have been a little pricey but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointingGrammyDDined on 6/15/2013While the service was good and the ocean view very beautiful, the food was adequate at best. If you are looking for really good food this is not the best place.Special Features:
- Don't Bothersnix51Dined on 6/15/2013The view from the restaurant was the only thing I can say was nice about this place. One of the worst dining experiences my family has ever had. Wait time was atrocious. Another couple walked out after waiting forever just to get tea and gave up on their meal. Waitress had to go "upstairs" to get the food and we told were told, 5 more minutes, and again 5 more minutes. This was after waiting 30 mins. Asked for cocktail sauce; she couldn't find any. Didn't get any refills on the tea. Half way through the meal, we asked that she bring our dessert to the table (covering our bases). Had to wait 10-15 minutes after we finished eating to get it. Come on, all you had to do was cut a slice of pie. Food was so-so. Will not return.Special Features:
- Service can make/break an event!ConsumerDined on 6/14/2013This was so unfortunate. We were celebration 2 birthdays and fathers day and that was noted on the reservation. The service was terrible. Our server was not friendly or accommodating at all. We felt as if we were putting her out by asking questions about the menu. One of the primary reasons we selected this restaurant since we are from out of town was the view, the menu, and proximity. The menu that we viewed online was NOT the menu at the restaurant. Apparently that changed two weeks ago. The fact that you can a change like that and Not put it on the website speaks volumes and the level of attention to detail of this business. What a huge disappointment.Special Features:
- It was averageJmishDined on 6/9/2013The food was good...but very overpriced. We will not visit this place again. Server, Cody, was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2013After a stressful check in at the Ocean Plaza, dinner at the Dolphin Reef was a pleasant relaxing time. Good food and eager to please restaurant staff. Would eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentMikenbeccaDined on 6/1/2013From what the web site showed it looked a lot nicer than what it was. It was loud and servers was talking very loud to each other and yelling across the room. We were very disappointed and don't plan on returningSpecial Features:
- Great chocolate martiniChocolateMartiniDined on 5/23/2013We found this restaurant while searching the Internet while visiting Savannah from our home in Atlanta. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service. The chocolate martini was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff was awesome!!twenty20Dined on 5/10/2013I surprised my gf with marriage proposal. I hadn't told the staff about it but they were so great when I proposed my gf thought that I had them in on it. They helped to make it even more exciting. Awesome Job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I am a local and decided toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013I am a local and decided to plan a romantic evening for my husband and myself. We stayed at the Ocean Plaza and it was a wonderful addition to not have to leave the hotel for dinner and breakfast. The staff at the Dolphin Reef was Wonderful! The food was great and responsibly priced! I highly recommend taking advantage of the ocean view while dining.Special Features:
- Definitely Worth Stopping ByOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2013We had breakfast there on April 14. Food was good and the staff was courteous and friendly. Came in during Spring Break which will make a difference in the ambience. Choose your visit dates accordingly. Even on a cloudy day the view is great. Overall experience was very nice. (Be aware that you have to pay to park. Look for pay boxes along the back fence.)Special Features:
- The food was good. We enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013The food was good. We enjoyed the music from the wedding being celebrated below. Nicole F. was a great waitress. She was polite and friendly.Special Features:
- It was more than what I expected,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/1/2013It was more than what I expected, even. Thing that we had was great.Special Features:
- We had wanted to try DolphinOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013We had wanted to try Dolphin Reef and decided to try it with our out of town guests. 1) Ended up in the bar and grill. The main dining room was closed. Would have been nice to know at the time I booked through Open Table. We were looking for a better dining experience for their last night in town. 2) For a half empty restaurant, service was SLOW. Half the table was served 20 minutes before the food came for the other half. 3) Decor needs to be updated. My guest summed it up best. Food was good, but the place is ambiance challenged.
- Wonderful Ocean Viewtbird1021VIPDined on 3/25/2013Went to Dolphin Reef for breakfast twice during our week long Spring Break vacation on Tybee. Definitely one of the nicer places on Tybee to eat breakfast. Especially given the beautiful view of the ocean that can be seen from nearly all the tables! During our 2 visits we had regular pancakes, choc chip pancakes, grits, scrambled eggs, ham, etc. All of which was very good. My only big complaint was the coffee. It's not good - and to make matter worse, they serve it with fake creamer. The service was so-so during our first visit but much better on our second (same server). Warning: The restaurant is inside a hotel so you need to be on the lookout for it - or, you might miss it! Not sure when I'll return to Tybee but when I do, I'll be backSpecial Features:
- Dissatisfied!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013We never had a reservation at The Coral Reef Restaurant!!! I guess this means that I am not impressed with your services!!! I nevereven received a confirmation for this reservation that I apparently had!
- I was visiting from ATL.....andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/17/2013I was visiting from ATL.....and asked a local for ocean view restaurant. Since it was breakfast they recommended The Breakfast Club. I could see that it was not ocean view due to its proximity to the streetfront. Accustomed to a little more curb appeal in restaurant choices in the city....I was somewhat miffed by the peopliupe standing in line and shivering in the cold to get into a place that would be classified as a dive in Atlanta. In frustration I drove beachfront and went in Fannies to inquire about sitting upstairs. "Not until one o'clock "I was told. Where else is there? was my next question...and your restaurant was recommended.I was grateful to find you and it was the exact dining experience I was expecting to find. Truly a gem!Special Features:
- False AdvertisingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013I only went to this restaurant because my boyfriend and I were staying at the Ocean Plaza Beach "Resort". It IS NOT what I was expecting from the advertisement. FALSE ADVERTISING. This restaurant was nothing to write home about. The food was decent. The service was not good. I saw several people walk in and wait 2-5 minutes just standing at the door because no one was there to greet them. Our server was not very attentive. We, along with the people at the table next to us, had to order the same thing several times because he kept forgetting to bring a simple drink.Special Features:
- Give my compliments to theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Give my compliments to the Chef!! The food was PERFECT! Seasoned and cooked just right! The wait time was minimal and the view was BREATHTAKING! Best date ever.Special Features:
- The food was poor, wife hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was poor, wife had awful steak and i had crab and shrimp pasta that was very little crab and thick with sauce
- The food was phenomenal. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The food was phenomenal. The portion size was great. I eat a lot and I had a hard time finishing my meal. The shrimp were huge and juicy. The alcoholic drinks were not strong enough. A little more alcohol for the price would be nice. It is a great date night restaurant. If you want a nice relaxing "place to yourself" meal go a little earlier. The bar below gets a little too loud in the late evening. The view is awesome. Perfect view. Faces the east so for dinner, you do not have to worry about the sun glare. The outside does not look like a good place to eat and I was skeptical at first, but the inside is nice. For my income level, this is a great once a year restaurant.Special Features:
- Good Food, Fantastic ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013We've eaten at the Dolphin Reef several times, and usually have been very happy with the experience. We feel that the restaurant is generally under rated, and it not nearly as busy as some other Tybee spots. The top draw for us is the absolutely fantastic beach view just north of the Tybee pier. On this visit, the service was good and very friendly; we had one minor issue with a drink reorder that was slow. We shared she-crab soup and the seafood platter, grilled. Both were great. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The Dolphin Reef has goodSavannahBillDined on 12/22/2012The Dolphin Reef has good food, good service and a nice menu from which to select.Special Features:
- Great for thanksgiving buffet!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2012Great for thanksgiving buffet! Would do it again for sure. No dishes to wash :)Special Features:
- Never will return to this restauranKimberleyDined on 11/22/2012We have been going to Dolphin Reef restaurant for several years for their Thanksgiving buffet. It had become somewhat a tradition for us. I made reservations and once again we were looking forward to a good meal with variety for both of us to enjoy. We were seated immediately but that is where the service virtually ended. The order for our drinks was taken by the hostess but we had already visited the buffet and started eating before our tea was delivered. There were less than 15 tables of guests at the time. We started out with salad which consisted of a choice of lettuce, one type of salad dressing, one type of cheese and croutons. Would continue but I ran out of room. Will NEVER go back!!!!
- We were from out of town.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012We were from out of town. My mapquest directions were very easy to follow. It was easy to find. Reservations were very easy to make online. We went there for my husband's birthday. He said the food was great (oysters, steak, and shrimp). Beautiful scenary through your large picturesque windows. Staff was very hospitable. Our waitress was superb. She surprised my husband with a beautifully decorated chocolate lava cake dessert "on the house". We were very pleased with the whole experience.Special Features:
- The whole place was like beingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2012The whole place was like being in a bad dream. Dated and uninviting. We went for a comedy show. They never asked for our reservation so it didn't matter if we even used it because the place was almost empty.
- This was a great find. VisitingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2012This was a great find. Visiting from out of town and found this restaurant online for things to do around Savannah, GA. Had reservation for late dinner (8pm). It was not packed, but just enough people to enjoy your dinner. There is a bar on the 2nd floor with live entertainment and very family oriented. The food was great for seafood lovers and non-seafood lovers. Plenty of entrees for the kids to choose from. The service was great as well. It could be a nice place for a romantic dinner for two as well. Will definately go back.Special Features:
- A Depressing Dining ExOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2012Our reservation was for 7:15pm on a Saturday night in August - on the beach during summer vacation season. However, no reservation was required as the place was almost empty: there were 3 other parties when we arrived. An eerie, odd place - they no longer have their buffet yet have half of the sitting area is still set up with chaffing dishes. Undoubtedly, except for the view, the buffet was the only draw but I imagine that the food must have been much better than the food we received. Everyone was seriously overlooked and bland so having spent $165 for a bad dinner for a family of four, I would suggest you make a reservation at the Sundae Cafe - which was out first choice - but had no open tables until 9:00pm.Special Features:
- The price of the all you couldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012The price of the all you could eat crab legs was good, but the quality was not. The crab legs appeared to be seconds. Approximatelly two out of three clusters were small and hard to eat. The Hush Puppys and French Fries were some of the best I have tasted. I enjoyed the restaurant and will eat there in the future. The service provided by our waitress excellent.
- Didn't have a good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2012They weren't seating people even though they had many tables open, but they were under staffed. The food was mediocre at best and the photos they provide are very deceiving. Place needs a upgrade in the decor...
- She crab soup is the bomb!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012The restaurant was very nice. I truly wish we would've gotten there earlier so we could have taken advantage of the view. But the She Crab soup was amazing!!! Even Gordon Ramsay would've been pleased with that dish. I definitely can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Our waiter was not very attentiveBeermom2Dined on 7/21/2012Our waiter was not very attentive after taking our orders, despite the dining area being barely half full. It took an HOUR for two of us to get our food, which didn't happen until we asked to see the manager. She was very apologetic, and did take comp the entrees that were late. I would be reluctant to give them another chance.Special Features:
- Went as part of birthday celebratioOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012Went as part of birthday celebration. Went because it was buffet and because of the view. Both were exactly as expected. Service was really good and food was good. Not the best I ever ate, but quite satisfactory, and plenty of it! Pretty good selection. Would go again. We got there 30 minutes ahead of schedule and they took us right in.Special Features:
- Ocean View DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Great food, BEAUTIFUL Ocean view dining, Friendly Staff....will definetly be back for more !!Special Features:
- My family and I will neverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012My family and I will never return to Dolphin Reef Restaurant again. We waited on our food the first time over 45 minutes. We ordered 2 fish sandwiches and a bowl of seafood gumbo, that should not have taken 45 minutes. Then when our food finally came out we were told someone had dropped one of the fish sandwich plates so again we had to wait. Well, upon tasting the red rice in the gumbo which was so crunchy you could hardly swallow it we had to return the gumbo. When the gumbo was delivered to us again there was no rice at all in the bowl just the gumbo? Who knows why we weren't offered white rice since the red rice was undercooked. Then we asked the waitress for some lemons which she proceeded to bring to us in her hand, not a bowl!
- Really enjoyed the food theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012Really enjoyed the food the service and the scenery.Special Features:
- Our server was amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012Our server was amazing!!! The she crab soup as well! And the kids absolutely loved our seat, perfect view of the ocean. Great dinner for themSpecial Features: