Dojo Restaurant and Sushi Bar
423 West 300 South, Suite 150
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Dojo Restaurant and Sushi Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dojoslc.com/
- Phone: 8013283333
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Friday: 1130 AM - 2:00 PM
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30 PM - 9:00 PM / Thursday - Saturday 5:30 PM - Late
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Kirk Terashima
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Kelly S Shiotani 8013283333
- Entertainment: DJ most Fridays and Saturdays.
A word from Dojo Restaurant and Sushi Bar
Dojo Restaurant and Sushi Bar. The cornerstones of Dojo's philosophy are superlative food, gracious hospitality, and affordable value. Tatami/private rooms available. Drink and food specials during the weekdays; DJ most Fridays and Saturdays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dojo Restaurant and Sushi Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Closed?lovfoodndadvntrDined on 5/3/2014I made a reservation for a Saturday night but ended up not being able to make it. I tried to cancel the reservationbut open table came back with a response stating that Dojo wasn't comminicating. My friends and I went there a different night around 7 and there were no lights on in the restaurant. The hours said they opened back up for dinner at 5 but again there was no one there.
- Gupta and Raman cold. RamanOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Gupta and Raman cold. Raman with bad taste. Sushi okay
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/29/2014Sat at sushi bar and had a great meal. Sushi was fresh! Hamachi sushimi was spicy and delicious. Lots of creative rolls on the menu. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ADULTS OnlymikeWazowskiDined on 1/24/2014The restaurant has a club license so anyone under 21 cannot get in.
- DisorganizedChrisDined on 1/24/2014I brought a group of 11 people here and they food was tasty, original and on the whole good. The service was very poor, it took forever for food to come out, some hot entrees came out cold. They replaced them in a few minutes which was surprising because it took 30 minutes to get them the first time. We did not get all the food we ordered, drinks were not consistent in size and quality, some seemed watered down. They have good food that was original and tasty but they do not have the infrastructure to handle a semi busy restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleartsDined on 12/31/2013Horrible experience. Had a waiter that had only been there 3 days and had absolutely NO clue. Order was completely wrong, he brought the wrong drinks, wrong appetizer, forgot one and then tells us he is going out to party and his good friend will be our waiter. The new waiter tried to get it right, but sushi chefs didn't. Waited over an hour without our dinner order, meanwhile 4 people arrived, sat down and had their order in 15 minutes. The restaurant was not busy - 4 tables were filled. I would hate to be here on a busy night. Our evening was ruined, we left hungry only paying for the drinks and appetizers that were correct. Unless the owners/managers address the poor service and delivery I would NOT recommend this establishment.
- Tasty syshiDineawayDined on 12/27/2013The sushi was wonderful and the server was attentive . It did take an extremely long time but we were not on a timeline and were comfortable chatting in between rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted to like it more...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2013Had great reviews from others and the major competition had an hour and a half wait, so we gave it a try. Some interesting and really good flavor combinations. Problem was the amount of fish in the rolls was so small you couldn't really taste it. So lots of rice and citrus flavors with some spice - but i go for sushi for the fish. And the postage stamp size slivers of fish left us disappointed.
- Go, thank me laterEnderDined on 10/15/2013My boyfriend and I love to try new resaurunts and food. This was only my seccond time having sushi and first time having non fried sushi. I was more than impressed. We started with the ribs cooked with a chocolate jalapeño sauce and rice. Our first roll was a fried roll. The fried roll was... Meh. The other time I tried sushi I only had fried sushi and was underwhelmed. The second roll was phenomenal. It had steak, shallots, truffle oil, and topped with tuna and a jalapeño. It was fantastic. The cocktails were really good and big. The server and chief were very friendly and great. The inly downside is that it is across Pioneer park, I think that is why it wasn't a full house. Support good local business, so go to DoJo >_<Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went here once before andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013I went here once before and had great sushi. I came here again and had the worst susi. I will never come back again. It was very disappointing.
- Nice music and sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2013We love the Dojo for their deliciously fresh sushi. There are many choices of rolls and other sushi, as well as Japanese dishes like Katsu. The last time we were there, there was a small jazz combo...very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks were overpriced. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Drinks were overpriced. The sushi rolls were very interesting, and the ramen is pretty good.Special Features:
- While the food was good, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012While the food was good, the service was easily the worst I ever received in my life. No hyperbole. I am a very easy going individual, but this was too much even for me. We had to flag down our waitress every time we wanted something, she didn't check on us once. She was unapologetic for the wait and her lack of courteousness, which added insult to injury. She messed up our check three different times.
- Food was good but took overOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Food was good but took over 40 min to get three sushi rolls (and there was about 20% occupancy at that time). They did however recognize this and offered a free dessert. Also the bench seats are uncomfortably short and awkward even for my fiance who is 5'7".
- We had a birthday dinner thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012We had a birthday dinner there and the service was extremely slow. They also forgot our sushi order and brought it out really late, right as we were ready to pay. Then they took forever to bring out our checks. Although the food was good, the service made it not worth a second visit.
- Great sushi and very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/19/2012Great sushi and very attentive service. A little expensive though. We loved almost everything we tried but I won't be having the sea urchin again.Special Features:
- We come to town a few timesDebIVIPDined on 10/12/2012We come to town a few times a year. We always visit Dojo. The fish is fresh, the rolls are unique, and the service is good.Special Features:
- Food was very good, but notOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/21/2012Food was very good, but not outstanding. Nice decor and serviceSpecial Features:
- Loved It.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2012I was visiting from out of town and happened to find this restaurant. The cocktails were amazing - they use fresh fruit and they are not too sweet. We also tried a few appetizers and sushi rolls and everything was delicious. I only wish I lived in the area so I could go back!Special Features:
- Great food. Ok AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2012This is our second time here and it may possibly be our favorite sushi restaurant in Salt Lake City so far. We really love the Miso Black cod. It is a little salty but it melts in your mouth. The sushi is good and is fresh. We tried the ramen dish this time. We like the pork belly but I was disappointed that the ramen wasn't made in house. The waiter thought he knew us because we were repeat customers but we never met him before. That was a little annoying because it seemed that he was trying too hard. I know it's a lounge but the music was too clubby. Where we were sitting, we could hear two different songs that were playing (one from the DJ and one from the speakers). Overall I know we'll be back, mostly because of the food.Special Features:
- Nice sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2012Dojo is not your usual sushi bar, although it is a sushi bar. The sushi was fresh and just the right temperature. The 9 piece plate included some unusual pieces, like a quail egg surrounded by roe. The sashimi was also very good. The soba noodles were only ok. The service was fantastic, very attentive and very clearly aiming to please.Special Features:
- We went as a group of nineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2012We went as a group of nine people and asked them to prepare a set meal for us. The Chef was very willing to work with us. We had a variety of sushi and sashimi dish, pork belly ramen, ribs and more. Ingredients were fresh, and every dish was thoughtfully prepared and well presented. Delicious food, great value and excellent service. We are all out-of towners from SF and Seattle, and are used to eating good Japanese food. We will all go back again when we are in town next time.Special Features:
- The special occasion lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2012The special occasion lunch we had at Dojo was very enjoyable. The teriyaki steak bento lunch, vegetable tempura sushi, curry chicken katsu, and ramen were among the favorites in our group. We are planning to return for more meals in the future, based on this experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Apparently they thought itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/18/2012Apparently they thought it was alright to substitute the type of fish on a roll we ordered without asking us first. The food quality was poor when compared to prior visits. Sushi tasted less than fresh, and did not justify the steep price. I've had similar rolls of better quality for half the price. I'm not sure if it was an anomaly or the place has just gone down hill, as I used to really enjoy eating here. After this experience I'm not likely to go back.
- Very slow service. The restuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2012Very slow service. The restuarant was pretty much empty but it still took over an hour to get our rolls.
- great fresh sushi and personalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/30/2012great fresh sushi and personal service, I will go back again!Special Features:
- The menu was limited; andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/12/2012The menu was limited; and very limited wine list, which I expected; they had a larger sake list. The decor was nice but they had TVs on the whole time (like a sports bar), which i dislike in a nice restaurant. Staff were friendly and helpful.
- Exciting and fresh dinner choice.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012Delicious food, casual but refined ambiance. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Well doneOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/28/2012My husband and I went for a very late valentines day and were treated like a special guests.The prices were great. Our waitress was able to recommend new sushi rolls for us to try and awesome drinks to compliment our choices. The owner made sure he stopped by to wish us a belated valentines day and gave us special chocolate treats his mother hand made.The music was awesome as well a jazzy-house mix. We were very impressed and we will return. Great couples night out.Special Features:
- The staff were very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and daily special items. The menu offered many Asian food choices at a fair price. The restaurant decor was modern and pleasant to sit and have a meal. They even had some LCD TVs with sports on for us guys. The sashimi and other food items we ordered tasted very fresh and had delicious flavor. We will be going back again soon.
- The food was wonderful. ItDebIVIPDined on 2/17/2012The food was wonderful. It was a great find for us out of towners.Special Features:
- Great but not superbOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012I really liked almost everything about this little spot, the only thing that threw me off was the quality of food It just wasn't as high as it needed to be to match the rest of the restaurants strong pointsSpecial Features:
- Delicious Sushi, Pretty AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012This was our first time there, and it was on Valentine's Day. It was so pretty and fun, and the food was spectacular. On top of that, one of the co-owners was there, catering to every single guest. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- The creativity was astounding.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/28/2012The creativity was astounding. The chef mixed up unique offerings and presented them in amazing ways. Service was great; attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. Excellent sake list too.Special Features:
- I've dined at Dijo thrice,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2011I've dined at Dijo thrice, most recently on New Year's Eve. It's a good place, but it's starting to wear a little thin for me. I think I should keep it a special occasion place, or risk being bored by it.Special Features:
- Convenient pre-symphony dining spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/16/2011Udon soup was okay. Chicken Katsu was excellent. Would not recommend the lettuce wraps.
- Top-flight sushi and sashimi in SLCOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2011Nice location just south of Gateway. Beautiful dining room, would be great for a date or a group. Excellent sake selection. "Omakase" yielded some of the freshest, most expertly prepared nigiri and sashimi I've had in SLC, and I've had pretty much all of them. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- High quality fish, enthusiasticJonathanDined on 7/11/2011High quality fish, enthusiastic and fun service, good wine / drinks menu.
- Fantastic sushi and sashimi.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2011Fantastic sushi and sashimi. Very fresh and artfully presented. The dishes from the kitchen were also delicious.Special Features:
- I guess the hype of Dojo overtookOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/7/2011I guess the hype of Dojo overtook me. I found the restaurant and its food to be only okay. For my money, a restaurant must do more than serve average asian food.