501 Columbia St. NW #B
Olympia, WA 98501Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.docksidebistro.com/
- Phone: 3609561928
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00.
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Laurie Nguyen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Dockside Bistro & Wine Bar is available for private parties, featuring unique and specially designed menus to meet the needs of your special event.
- Private Party Contact: Laurie Nguyen 3609561928
- Entertainment: Dockside Bistro, with our focus on jazz, periodically hosts premier local and regional jazz and blues performers. Please visit the Events Page at our website at www.docksidebistro.com for upcoming music events.
A word from Dockside Bistro
Dockside Bistro & Wine Bar, established in 2007, focuses on locally sourced produce, seafood and game with the intent to provide a vibrant culinary experience to the diner. Chef Laurie Nguyen brings the culinary traditions of her native Vietnam to bear on traditional Continental and Northwest cuisine to create exciting and unique culinary creations. We take particular pride in featuring daily fresh and ever changing seasonal appetizers and entrees. In addition to top-shelf mixed drinks, Dockside Bistro also has an extensive list of over 130 different wines from the Pacific Northwest, California, Europe, New Zealand and Australia. As with our locally sourced produce, we take particular pride in hosting established and emerging wineries from the exciting wine scene developing in South Puget Sound. Please join us for an exceptional dining experience in our warm, waterfront setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Dockside Bistro - Best Restaurants in Olympia ›
Dockside Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)scenic view (50)fit for foodies (46)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (29)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (13)good for groups (8)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Dockside BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful time having lunch this past Saturday and our server was excellent. It was nice and quiet, the cocktails and wine was great. We will be back for another special occasion soon. Thank you!Special Features:
- Very impressedCornfedDined on 8/15/2014The food was astounding! Great healthy choices with the taste to back it up! Strongly recommend dockside bistro to anyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014Unique menu, fabulous food, and terrifice service!Special Features:
- Wonderful Meal!MCSB28117Dined on 8/9/2014We tried this restaurant based on positive recommendations on Open Table - we were not disappointed! Our waitress was friendly and attentive. We had a wonderful bottle of wine (Oregon pinot noir), the bread and dipping oil were amazing and the filet mignon was delicious, with a very flavorful sauce. My husband had the seafood chowder and sea scallops, both of which he really enjoyed. At first the shades were down to block the setting sun, but once the shades were up we enjoyed a nice view of the harbor. The restaurant definitely has a cozy, comfortable feel - nice enough for a special event, but also relaxed enough that we didn't feel out of place in our casual clothes. If we are ever back in Olympia, we will definitely go again!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014I have been there twice now, and both times the food was way better than average nice resturant. I will make this one of my first choice resturants.Special Features:
- katbob62Dined on 8/7/2014As always Dockside delivers. Food is fantastic & service perfect!!Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseNickDined on 8/7/2014Stopped in for lunch after some business meetings. Made a reservation as a precaution but it wasn't really needed. Very enjoyable meal, had a large bowl of clam chowder and some pan-fried halibut on tacos. Friendly service.
- Lovely dinnerolyfoodiesDined on 8/2/2014Everything was excellent. They needed another waitress as ours was managing a very busy restaurant and no one could have kept up.Special Features:
- chuckDined on 7/20/2014We now go at least once a month. It is that good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chef & locally-sourced itemsjmc1Dined on 7/18/2014Superb soup and salad and bread to start. Excellent albacore from Washington State, prepared medium-rare as we requested, and served with noodles and lovely broth. First-rate!Special Features:
- Excellent ambiancedp08161950Dined on 7/17/2014Special event for my wife. The staff was exceptional, the elk was superb, the view was breathtaking, the wine selection was great and the experience was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luncholynewbiefoodieDined on 7/16/2014We were a party of two and opted to sit inside for lunch only because alcoholic beverages are not allowed at the outside seating and we wanted a glass of wine with our lunch. We opted for the special; oyster tacos and halibut tacos. The halibut was good, under seasoned though, as were the condiments that came with. I would go back for dinner, not having eaten here before, to choose from a more extensive dinner menu and its options. There were only a few other tables filled during the time we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodYummyfoodDined on 7/11/2014Stop into this unassuming treasure for a delectable dining experience. Utilizing the freshest ingredients and unique Northwest meats and fish the chef always amazes and leaves my mouth happy. I have not had a dish I did not enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in OlympiaOkeedokeDined on 7/3/2014We always look forward to eating at Dockside! It's absolutely our very favorite in Olympia, and its food, staff and ambiance are above reproach. We trust the wait staff to recommend the best wine pairing with our dinners and we're never disappointed. Also, the view on the Percival Cove and marina are literally stunning. Why would you eat at a chain restaurant when you have this gem in Olympia? We love Dockside!Special Features:
- TomDavisDined on 7/1/2014Exellent food. Consistently creative and well presented. Always pleasant to take a walk on the boardwak and look at the boats, afterwards. We take all our out-of-town guests there. Made reservations for my wife's birthday and there was a card on the table when we arrived- classy touch - and no tacky birthday singing. Would have liked to take advantage of the flowers option, but put my same day order was too late to honor (my bad). A bit pricey, but, in this case, you get what you pay for. NOTE: If you're a cheap tipper (less than 20%) please dine somewhere else, as this place is a neighborhood gem I would hate to see change.Special Features:
- A gem in OlympiaRickraffDined on 6/25/2014Dockside Bistro scores on all counts: great food, varied and uncommon options, terrific service, excellent wines, and nice ambiance. It inches up toward pricey, but not too badly, and let's face it -- you get what you pay for. And at the Bistro, you truly get a memorable and terrific meal for your dollars. One tip: in ordering how you'd like your meat cooked, err on the more-cooked side. My duck, which I requested medium rare, seemed more like rare (which I'd prefer to overcooked, so it was still good); I suspect medium would have been what I consider medium rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionmurphDined on 6/19/2014We had a wonderful evening of dining at Dockside Bistro. This is a great place for a special occasion, such as a birthday or anniversary. Food was perfect, and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- A Local GemFoxyDined on 6/15/2014Although Olympia is not long in the excellent department, we think this is one of the best in town. We had dinner there on Father's Day and, although it was early in the evening, the restaurant was very busy which made for the service being a bit slow. That said, the food was worth waiting for. One of our party had a elk, prepared in two ways and was thoroughly enjoyable. Wine recommended by our server was a hit! This was our third visit to Dockside Bistro and they have not failed to provide a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificEatWellBeWellDined on 6/13/2014Celebrated a special occasion and could not be happier with the selection. With six of us in the party, each of us enjoyed our meals. The food was original, well-prepared and beautifully presented. While the food was serious, the mood was light and comfortable. Our server was delightful. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely..OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/13/2014This was my second visit to Dockside...it didn't disappoint. The ambiance is great and the view of the water outstanding. I only have a couple very minor notes of desired improvement. I never saw a hostess, and we waited about 5 minutes for someone to acknowledge us at the front desk. For a busy restaurant on a Friday night, there should be a hostess. Second, the menu, while lovely, is a bit limited and hasn't changed at all since my last visit six months ago. And finally, while I enjoyed my wine by the glass, I wish there was a bit more to choose from. But again, all in all, the food, service and ambiance were excellent and I definitely recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for anniversary mealMickyBDined on 6/8/2014Lovely experience from start to finish. Seated immediately with choice of booth or window seat. Service was friendly and professional. Food was divine; my greens and goat cheese salad was combination of sweet and tart; partner's wild mushroom soup was earthy and smooth. My lamb was perfect as was partner's sea scallops. Hurray for Spanish Cava! Finished meal with coffee and shared fight over the last bite crème brulee. Pianist provided soothing background music that added to overall appeal of experience.Special Features:
- Perfect lunchJohnVIPDined on 6/6/2014After flying into Seattle and driving towards Willamette Valley wine country, this bistro was a perfect stop to have lunch and begin to relax. You have a view of the dock area and into a bay - very picturesque. The wine list was extensive and had delicious local wines (OR and WA) by the glass. We both had their crab soup special and a fish entree. Both the soup and the fish were excellent. We recommend the Dockside Bistro to anyone in the Olympia WA area.Special Features:
- Charming on the waterGoodtimeBPVIPDined on 5/18/2014We arrived at sunset with a lovely view along the dock and a pianist while we were seated. The house specialty drinks were super and we both had wonderful fresh oyster appetizers and the two fresh fish specials of the day were creatively prepared by the chef and were incredible. The wine list was wonderful we chose a dry Riesling and the fresh huckleberry and blueberry dessert was a finish to a delightful meal. We look forward to coming back to this charming intimate restaurant.Special Features:
- Anniversary RhapsodytotalcolourDined on 5/18/2014Our favourite place for an anniversary - fabulous food, great wine and excellent staff. The food really is exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good the 2nd timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Revisited this gem Sunday. Just as good as when we last visited in September. We are from Indiana and this gem will continue to be a must do!! Great food surprises; wonderful service and the keyboard player adds just the right touch.Special Features:
- Great FoodLSL4everDined on 5/17/2014This is an outstanding restaurant. I will definitely come back. Their Halibut taste wonderful, it was cooked beautifully with a perfect sear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining with a viewLGRFDined on 5/16/2014We have dinner at Dockside Bistro about once a year, and our latest meal showed that they have maintained their high standards. Service was excellent and the elk carpaccio appetizer was fabulous. We look forward to returning more often.Special Features:
- Outstanding doesn't discribe itSouthpwDined on 5/14/2014I was a patron of the previous owner and this was my first visit. I was amazed at the environmental changes. Wonderful and inviting, remarkable change. Loved the food, but was't sold on the crab chowder...not enough crab favor and didn't care for the Taraggon (?). My friend is going to bring her group from Steilacoom that how impressed she was. #1 in my book. Thanks.Special Features:
- Tasty MealhomedenDined on 5/11/2014Had a very nice and enjoyable Mother's Day dinner. We split different parts of our meal: seafood, salad and dessert. It was tasty in a relaxing atmosphere. The cost is a bit pricey for Olympia but the restaurant is consistently good and provides a nice selection and variety of choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in Olympia!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Our server was fabulous, our food was amazing, and the environment was wonderful! My family and I ate in the banquet room on Mother's day and Dockside Bistro catered to our every need. Our server was more than accommodating to any and every question/request we had. I don't usually write reviews, but I can't wait to go back and I think more people in Olympia should know just how great this restaurant is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!Live2EatDined on 4/30/2014Made reservations online, was seated immediately upon arrival. Service was outstanding. The food was more than outstanding. Will be returning. I recommend the Seafood Cocktail it was wonderful, it does however make you want more. :)Special Features:
- FabulousPadminiDined on 4/29/2014Food is superb and it's quiet. Great place for conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 268 reviews are from the Dockside Bistro reviews archive.
- Very GoodRandomHumbleLogicDined on 4/19/2014Crab cakes were ok, but the salad was very good and the elk entre was outstanding. I eat out a lot and I was completely surprised by how good this was. Nice place for a special occasion without feeling overly formal or stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, High PriceCiceroDined on 4/19/2014My wife and I had her birthday dinner there. The oyster appetizers were fresh, and well prepared. Likewise with the Caesar Salads. The main courses (Beef and Scallops) were well prepared and tasty. The accompaniments were poor. The vegetables (what few there were) were not well prepared, and the potato side was bland and not thoroughly heated. Overall, it was a nice atmosphere. Our biggest observation was that pretty much all courses were considerably overpriced for the quality (good) and quantity (somewhat meager). Not likely that we will return; nor will we recommend this restaurant.
- WedontneednonicknamesVIPDined on 4/18/2014The Basil Martini was different and very good as was the Northwest Manhattan.Oysters were excellent.Crab chowder was great.Warm bread out of the oven was a nice touch.Halibut entree special was superb as recommended by our server.Elk dish was unique and quite flavorful.The Key Lime Pie was very well done as was the chocolate dessert.The dessert wines were very generous pours.Service was attentive and kind of a well-orchestrated team approach.Special Features:
- Mid-week dinner for threeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/8/2014The overall experience was largely over shadowed by poor service; two of our three salads weren't what we ordered. The third salad was short on dressing and extra dressing was never delivered. Fruit reduction sauces were excellent and perfectly matched to the lamb and duck though the duck was a bit under cooked, rare instead of medium rare as ordered. The seafood starter was loaded with lobster, crab and scallops and the caviar cream sauce was excellent. A side of parmesan fries were cool and the second try delivered after our meal were excellent.Special Features:
- Olympia Gem - $1 Corkage on TuesdayAvianAcresDined on 4/8/2014We tried the seafood martini, which is definitely shareable, and agreed that if we weren't celebrating a birthday, just that and one of their salads and bread would make a great light meal. We settled on a filet and an off-menu choice - pheasant - and found them both to be prepared even better than expectations. I substituted bok choy for Brussels sprouts with the pheasant with no problem. Tuesdays have only a $1 corkage fee (versus the $15 usual) thus making that day one that we really like for bringing something from our wine cellar. And our server, Kailie (I hope I spelled that correctly) provided us with outstanding service. Thanks for the birthday card! (signed by the staff - something I've not ever seen in a restaurant before).Special Features:
- Great food great serviceAarongDined on 4/5/2014Only a few choices but all them make it hard to decide I did the duck it was my first time and it was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversarial Perfection!harrypotterDined on 4/1/2014I read beaucoup reviews before selecting the Dockside Bistro for a romantic anniversary outing. Things started well: the flowers I'd ordered were waiting at our reserved table, which had an intimate view of the marina.'Twas a quiet Tuesday night: also a plus. Service staff were fresh-faced young people with smiles, an unobtrusive manner and just the right degree of friendliness. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but my wife is, and she liked the choices (I would have preferred a few craft brews, but it's a wine bar, after all). And the menu? Creative and diverse: not the usual steakhouse fare. I had their top-notch Caesar and the excellent 5-spice duck (cooked rare, even). Not huge portions, but we left plenty stuffed. Five stars, Dockside!Special Features:
- The food was fantasticGinnDined on 3/27/2014Olympia has only a few decent restaurants, but Dockside Bistro has first-class food. The seared scallops were the best ever tasted. Even the dinner salad was fantastic. The only regret was that we didn't find a white wine we enjoyed well enough to order any, although the waitress kindly gave us samples to choose from. Prices reflect the quality of the food, so this wouldn't be a where we'd have a casual meal, the food makes for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.