Dock's Oyster House
2405 Atlantic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ 08401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Dock's Oyster House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.docksoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: 6093450092
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Frank Dougherty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Dock's Oyster House has two small semi-private rooms for parties of 6-10 guests. The dining room can be reserved for larger parties. The entire restaurant can also be booked.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Dougherty 6093450092
- Entertainment: Piano Bar
A word from Dock's Oyster House
Owned and operated by the Dougherty family since 1897, Dock's Oyster House is an Atlantic City institution. Offering a full raw bar with as many as 10 different oysters per night along with clams, mussels, shrimp, crabmeat, chilled lobster, tuna sashimi and ceviche, Dock's is renowned for the freshest seafood in town along with great steaks and an award-winning wine list. Also offering a full bar, piano bar, and free parking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Dock's Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Atlantic City ›
Dock's Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
516 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (328)fit for foodies (267)neighborhood gem (238)romantic (127)good for groups (112)hot spot (107)notable wine list (88)vibrant bar scene (61)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (18)great for brunch (16)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Boom9VIPDined on 8/31/2014Halibut over cooked with little flavor. Bread rolls warmed but not fresh. Lobster and filet mignon enjoyable. Dessert- apple tarte with vanilla ice cream very good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/29/2014Hostess seated us at a table that was dirty. 2 used forks under my wife's chair and previous diner's oyster crackers were still on the table. No apologies even though we were seated about 25 minutes after our reservationI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Our only disappointment was that they were out of the special dessert even though we were there on the early side.Special Features:
- Docks is fabfood4thoughtDined on 8/29/2014This is our favorite Shore restaurant. Food is so very fresh and well worth the money.excellent beautifully plated and delicious. Service is very good. Clearly the long time Shore families have the inside track when it comes to kibbitzing with wait staff, but once a year patrons are certainly not neglected .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I were in AC overnight at the Borgata, and wanted a good seafood restaurant. After doing a little search, I came up with Dock's Oyster House which fit the bill exactly. We had a dozen oyster sampler to start off with that were nice and tender. For the entree, I had the softshell crab which was to die for, nice and crisp without being too crunchy, very fresh. My husband had the scallops with the special risotto in place of the mashed potatoes. Althought there were only 4 scallops on the plate, they were absolutely delicious, maybe not the choice for a big eater. Reservations are a must. Be sure to call if you are running late. All and all, a great meal!Special Features:
- Test of TimeSammieVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food is fresh and the place is old. Great selection of fresh tasty sea food. Excellent attentive service. Prices the reflect the quality of food. Always a great mea. Looking forward to our return visit. Oh, better make your reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Three women seated at the very back of the restaurant when there were tables we could have been seated at. Why do restaurants seat women this way? The food and service was good but the seating left a negative impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Surprised by Poor serviceTonyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Have eaten here almost every time we visit AC, as it is a winner for some of the freshest seafood. However, this visit was marred by having to wait 50 minutes beyond our reservation time and a waitress who was clearly overwhelmed by her responsibilities. My experience at Docks has usually been a 10 minute wait with reservations; 50 minutes is ridiculous and it seemed walk-ins had a 50 minute wait, I would hope it was not because we made our reservations through Open Table. We had to ask and re ask our waitress for everything (bread, water, drink orders, getting our appetizers and then trying to get our entrees served at the same time). She was a very nice woman who apologized for not being up to par this evening but that is small solace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014Service was excellent. Food was ok nothing to rave aboutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2014we had a great time and the food was excellent, and to make it better,our son in law paid the tabSpecial Features:
- Dinner at DocksShannonboxDined on 8/25/2014We were three women going out for a nice dinner. We were quite disappointed. Two of us shared a lobster tail that was small and rubbery. We told the waiter and he didn't seem too concerned. The manager came over, took it back , and we brought back a whole lobster. That was much better. The drinks were delicious but outrageously expensive. We will not be returning.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2014Dock's is always very good. We have been there many times; and have never been disappointed. Food is always delicious and service always great. Will go there again when we go to AC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oasisnotpleasedDined on 8/25/2014been there many times, only once we were not completely satisfied but that happens to the best of them. staff are first rate and makes you feel at home. just hope they never change owners and/or operations. in new jersey it is very hard to find first rate places to dine. even some of the high end restaurants are not all they are cracked up to be and we have been to a great many of them but we can always depend on Dock's.Special Features:
- obxjanaobxjanaDined on 8/25/2014It is a must for seafood lovers! Great food, always consistent and always fresh. Joanne has been our waitress several times, has always offered good suggestion on menu choices. Martini choices are all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in Atlantic CitySmougDined on 8/24/2014Second time here. Wonderful food, ambiance and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!!JuliaDined on 8/24/2014Always consistently great: food, drinks, service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tinydinerDined on 8/24/2014I have eaten here many times and the food is always very good as well as the service. However, the tables are so close together, one feels as if they are dining on the laps of their fellow patrons. The dining room is way too crowded with tables squeezed in every available foot of space. With the high quality of food they serve, and the prices they charge, one would hope for a more civilized dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th wedding anniversary surprise!seafoodDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I decided to go to AC for a weekend getaway to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and because we are seafood lover's chose Docks. I bought my wife a new wedding ring set, and I wanted to surprise her. Well, Holly, the welcomer at the front door, and will, our waiter presented the ring to her with dessert on a bed of roses.I thanked her for a wonderful 25 years, as the wait staff, and other patrons watched! My wife burst into tears, and everyone applauded! The folks at Docks made the evening extra special. Oh, before I forget, the food was exceptional, the ambiance, incredible, and the service was impeccable! We found a new home at Docks! You will not be sorry!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and excellent service. A Consistently wonderful dining experience we have been dining here since the 1990's. Our server Will was super attentive and a true professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyCustomersDined on 8/23/2014Very good food and excellent service. The piano player helps to create a very comfortable environment for dining. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- One for the booksjerseyfoodiesDined on 8/22/2014Extraordinary from the moment we arrived. May have been the best dining experience in memory. Convenient (free) parking next to restaurant with valet. Felt appreciated form beginning to end. Bar was relaxed and had piano player. Food was outstanding. Will be back soon with friends and family.Special Features:
- Venerable EstablishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/22/2014Great server. Just OK corn and crab soup (with cartilage, ugh). Very good fried Jersey Tomatoes. Hubby loved his tomato and blue cheese salad and sauteed flounder. Good glass of red wine. Daughter in law liked her lobster. Son liked the oysters. So-so onion rings. Decent asparagus with hollandaise and sauteed spinach. Huge good lemon meringue pie. I'd tell people to give it a try. Very, very busy - even at 5:30p!Special Features:
- What a wait but good foodMartySVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had an 830 reservation waited an hour for our table people who arrived after us with the same time were seated before us. Our waitress was told my wife told the waitress she tried to convince her to have the sauce. My wife is a recovering heat patient and does not eat butter We also waited about 7 to 10 minutes for someone to stop at our tableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion, or just becauseWebhillDined on 8/21/2014This was our 4th time to Dock's, and possibly my favorite visit. Things I love about this place: the piano player at the bar, the family history, the friendly servers, and the food! OMG the food. The seafood is always deliciously fresh and expertly prepared. I know I'm not alone in thinking this place is special-occasion-worthy, because on this most recent visit in celebration of our 15th anniversary, the people at the adjacent table were celebrating their 9th anniversary :) Really, just go, you can thank me later.Special Features:
- An Old Tradition Has Not ChangedMangiaManiacDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I had dinner at Dock's on Thursday night. The service, as always, was excellent and our waiter, Michael was courteous and helpful. The food is always great at Dock's and I was not disappointed this time. The crab and corn chowder was outstanding and the crab cakes I had were perfectly done. My wife had a cucumber martini, which was a first for her and she loved it. The tables are a bit cramped, but we were lucky to have been seated next to three lovely ladies with whom we chatted throughout the meal. Make your reservations as long before your dining date as possible. The reservation book fills quickly, especially between 6 pm and 8 pm.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC FOODGaleWDined on 8/21/2014I am a fish lover, especially salmon and this was the best salmon I have ever had! The old fashioned atmosphere and great beer selection added to the dinner. Will return very soon and want to share my experience with friends!Special Features:
- Awesome date nightFoodandWineOsDined on 8/20/2014My boyfriend and I went here for a romantic date night. The service was great! Awesome wine list if you are a wine-o like us! We ordered the fried calamari for an appetizer and it was delicious. I highly recommend the seared sea scallops - even the potatoes and broccoli rabe were really good! My boyfriend ordered one of the specials of the day - fried soft shell crab. Even though it was very good, we both agreed that it wasn't worth the price and would have rather ordered lobster. But still the crab was great! The service was great. Loved the piano bar! Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Very good againHappyTummyDined on 8/20/2014We have been to Dock's many times and it has always been very good for food, service and all around. We will definitely go to Dock's when we are in the Atlantic City area again.Special Features:
- Everything great except the seatingStanthemanDined on 8/20/2014Food was excellent...service was great...seating is very tight...table of four next to us was loud and obnoxious....I had been there before with a large group and it was perfect...not suitable for two unless you go early when it's not as crowded. Aside from the noise it was a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinneroystermanDined on 8/20/2014our choice to celebrate our 40yh anny. at Docs was a great one. Love sea food especially shell fish and the oysters did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Outstanding as always!jetwillieDined on 8/19/2014I had a large party of seven and our waiter was attentive and friendly. Food was fantastic and I've always been happy with Dock's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsRoseannDined on 8/19/2014When in AC this is my go to place for fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPmatthebeachDined on 8/18/2014Lively restaurant with consistently great food. Great selection of specials. Best in ACSpecial Features:
- Excellent AgainShepDined on 8/18/2014My wife and I take the kids and their spouses out every summer to a restaurant of their choice in Atlantic City. Every year they choose Dock's. My wife and I eat out nearly every day and the food here is awesome and we have never had a bad meal. What was strange this time was that my tomato appetizer came out a good 10-15 minutes before the rest of them. Drinks were also a little slow this time, but I can tell you that the bar was pretty active. Not too often would I recommend a steak at a seafood restaurant, but this would be the place. Definitely will be back.Special Features:
- Best seafood in ACRoseannDined on 8/18/2014The freshest best prepared seafood that money can buy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014Will definitely return. Great food and service. Had a great time and even better meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDVMREDined on 8/18/2014If you want to have a legendary and local meal in AC, this place is The place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best In ACGreatVIPDined on 8/17/2014One of the oldest and one of the best, great placeSpecial Features:
- Great food, great serviceEvanDined on 8/17/2014Server was very knowledgeable and friendly (Joanne). Food was excellent. We started with an appetizer special of fried jersey tomatoes stuffed with goat cheese and a basil pesto. Can't beat jersey tomatoes. I had the crab stuffed flounder with cream sauce and it was fresh and delicious. My date had a grilled salmon with lobster sauce over risotto. The salmon was a little overdone but the dish as a whole was cohesive and delicious. The cheese pie for desert is a must! Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great- long waitGaryDined on 8/16/2014As usual the food was outstanding-- the best Ahi tuna that my wife has ever had. Soft shell crab special was very good. Had 9:00 reservation on Saturday, rushed to get there on time and arrived at 8:55. Told we would be seated shortly-- not seated to 9:45. Had to stand in a crowded lobby for 45 minutes-- and was upset by the time the 4 of us were seated. A restaurant that started in 1874 should have a better handle on table turnover and how to manage reservations. I would only return in the off season.Special Features: