Dock's Oyster House
2405 Atlantic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ 08401Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Dock's Oyster House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.docksoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: 6093450092
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Frank Dougherty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Dock's Oyster House has two small semi-private rooms for parties of 6-10 guests. The dining room can be reserved for larger parties. The entire restaurant can also be booked.
- Private Party Contact: Frank Dougherty 6093450092
- Entertainment: Piano Bar
A word from Dock's Oyster House
Owned and operated by the Dougherty family since 1897, Dock's Oyster House is an Atlantic City institution. Offering a full raw bar with as many as 10 different oysters per night along with clams, mussels, shrimp, crabmeat, chilled lobster, tuna sashimi and ceviche, Dock's is renowned for the freshest seafood in town along with great steaks and an award-winning wine list. Also offering a full bar, piano bar, and free parking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Dock's Oyster House - Best Restaurants in Atlantic City ›
Dock's Oyster House reviews from OpenTable diners
534 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (333)fit for foodies (282)neighborhood gem (256)romantic (124)good for groups (120)hot spot (116)notable wine list (90)vibrant bar scene (62)great for lunch (24)late-night find (19)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Hit and missAnneDined on 9/15/2014We were seated within 10 minutes of our reservation which was at 7:30 on a Monday night. All the tables were full and the noise level was high. I ordered one of the specials salmon over risotto, the salmon was overlooked as was the risotto. My dining companion had the scallops which he enjoyed. We've dined here several times and sorry to say this was not our best evening......but desert was very good, lemon merengue pie.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2014This place is fabulous!!! Not only the best place in AC but maybe the best place in NJ!!Special Features:
- MackieDined on 9/13/2014While the ambiance and food make me want to keep returning to Dock's, the service makes me want to stay away forever. The last 2 times we arrived with a 7:00 pm reservation we were forced to stand in the crowded lobby for 45 minutes waiting for a table. Arrivals that appeared to be regulars seemed to get seated without the wait. Once seated the service was fine, but they obviously overbook.Special Features:
- Good Food..A Bit PriceyAnne65njDined on 9/13/2014We chose Dock's from someone's recommendation; it was very convenient making reservations online. We were seated and waited on in a very timely manner. Our server was outstanding and friendly; although the food was very good, I think the prices are a bit high. Because it's not very big and tables are fairly close together, the noise level was a "energetic." In saying this, we would definitely eat there again and would recommend it to friends/family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Food is great.........service is great.......what more one can say........keep up the good workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old guard with casual eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Hubs and I to A.C. to see Steely Dan in concert for his birthday. Rating for Docks was excellent and didn't disappoint. The service was excellent from the bar where we ordered a glass of wine, to the hostess who took us to our table, to the server who was knowledgeable and attentive. The food was very good and the creme brûlée for dessert was outstanding. It was a real treat and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Never disappointsMargieDDined on 9/11/2014We make it a point to eat at Doc's whenever we are in AC. You cannot beat the quality of the food and the service. The fresh oysters were outstanding! I chose the special salmon over risotto and was more than pleased. Don't overlook this AC gem, but make sure you have reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dock'sGPSPDined on 9/11/2014Food and service were excellent. No mention was made regarding our anniversary--we made a note on our initial reservation. Also, no bathroom on first floor--walk up.Special Features:
- Most enjoyableFinedinerVIPDined on 9/10/2014All of the fish dishes we ordered were outstanding and the seafood was delicious.Special Features:
- ShorethingShorethingDined on 9/10/2014Food is always wonderful & Michael our waiter was friendly, inviting, & funny. Dessert, key lime pie, was the best that I've ever had. Martinis were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!flashDined on 9/9/2014Away from all the casinos! This place was great. The food was outstanding and the service was very good. If I had one complaint about the place, it would be that the tables were too close to each other; you felt cramped. But, the quality and flavor of the food made up for it!Special Features:
- MantolokingVIPDined on 9/8/2014The food and service never vary from excellent. When they have king crab it is all that more amazingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2014food was delicious and service is outstanding delicious dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foody4lifeDined on 9/7/2014The food is fabulous! The service was good and the ambiance is very nice. Our only complaint is that it was freezing and the vent for the air conditioning was dripping down our backs.Special Features:
- Worth the waitWhit0309Dined on 9/6/2014We were so pleased to have the chance to dine at Docks. We made our reservation 3 days in advance and still could only get a 9pm time slot. When we arrived we had to wait another hour before our table was ready. HOWEVER... it was TOTALLY WORTH THE WAIT!!! The food was incredible! The atmosphere was energetic but it still had a very intimate feel. Aside from the very attentive, tall and handsome bartender that was friendly and welcoming, the other bartender, our server, and the food runners were not overly friendly. But there was still definitely a family-owned business vibe that made me love the place even more. The food was WAY BETTER quality AND price than any of those commercialized restaurants in AC. So, So, So good!Special Features:
- ExcellentTigerDined on 9/6/2014The place is a little small and cramped, but the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- YUM !!!!ACLocal15Dined on 9/6/2014Dock's continues to be the heart and soul of Atlantic City's restaurant scene. Their varied menu of soups, oysters, lobsters, fish, meat o rchicken dishes to home made desserts will surely wet your appetite. Whether you are a local , a first time visitor, a shoobie or a repeat tourist , Dock's won't let you down. Reservations are honored and free parking too !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 9/5/2014Did not start well-we were not seated till 30-35 minutes after the reservation time and the waiting/bar area was highly congested. Food was totally mediocre-ordered a grilled shrimp--what could be simpler? It arrived in a gloppy sauce which was awful. The tuna tartare was bland and insipid. Our guests seemed to be mildly ok with their food. I don't plan on returning after being a customer for several years. Needs a new chef.
- consistently deliciousselsamDined on 9/5/2014From the menu selections, to the wait staff, to the really good food, this is our go to place when visiting Atlantic City. This Atlantic City icon should be frequented for an outstanding 'shore' dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place in acJerseygirlDined on 9/4/2014Where to start. Wonderful oyster sampler platter. So fresh and Delish. I love the horseradish and oyster crackers they put on the table. For dinner I had the lobster which was great and my boyfriend had the king crab leg special. We had a few glasses of white wine which were priced reasonable at 10 dollars. We also enjoyed our soup that which we split which was a corn chowder in a mild jalapeño crime. And don't leave without trying the cheesecake dessert!!Special Features:
- pastamomDined on 9/4/2014Excellent food and service.would recommend to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not missLuv2eatDined on 9/4/2014Everything is simply awesome from the service to the food. This is must stop while in Atlantic City. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RuthieVIPDined on 9/4/2014Always consistently outstanding! Everyone ordered a different appetizer and entree and all were delicious. Also, the staff is extremely attentive.Special Features:
- shoregirlVIPDined on 9/4/2014The food was wonderful! And the service was great..not intrusive but very attentive! Looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcusDined on 9/2/2014We always enjoy Dock's. The noise level is a problem,especially in season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerseygirlDined on 9/2/2014Have been to Dock's many many times and I always enjoy my experience there. The staff is friendly and helpfull and the food is just wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualLuvtoeatoutDined on 9/1/2014I go to Docks every time i am in Atlantic City and the food and service are always excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fortycelebDined on 9/1/2014Food preparation outstanding. Waitress very acomadating and sociable. Smart move to get an early 5 30 reservation as restaurant is small and fills up quickly during the nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSkywalk669Dined on 8/31/2014The oysters were incredibly fresh. We tried three different kinds. The Old Salt ones were the best. The Oyster stew was too thin for my taste, but the Manhattan clam chowder that my wife had was delicious and very hearty. The entrees were spectacular. My wife had the snapper. I had the stuffed flounder. Both were incredibly delicous. We each had a glass of wine. It was a very full glass. I would say nearly double the amount of what you normally get when you order a glass of wine at a restaurant. My only regret was not leaving enough room for dessert, as they sounded delicious as well. Overall a great experience and great food. I would say that it definitely lived up to Trip Advisor's recommendation as one of the best restaurants in AC.Special Features:
- Boom9VIPDined on 8/31/2014Halibut over cooked with little flavor. Bread rolls warmed but not fresh. Lobster and filet mignon enjoyable. Dessert- apple tarte with vanilla ice cream very good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/29/2014Hostess seated us at a table that was dirty. 2 used forks under my wife's chair and previous diner's oyster crackers were still on the table. No apologies even though we were seated about 25 minutes after our reservationI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Our only disappointment was that they were out of the special dessert even though we were there on the early side.Special Features:
- Docks is fabfood4thoughtDined on 8/29/2014This is our favorite Shore restaurant. Food is so very fresh and well worth the money.excellent beautifully plated and delicious. Service is very good. Clearly the long time Shore families have the inside track when it comes to kibbitzing with wait staff, but once a year patrons are certainly not neglected .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I were in AC overnight at the Borgata, and wanted a good seafood restaurant. After doing a little search, I came up with Dock's Oyster House which fit the bill exactly. We had a dozen oyster sampler to start off with that were nice and tender. For the entree, I had the softshell crab which was to die for, nice and crisp without being too crunchy, very fresh. My husband had the scallops with the special risotto in place of the mashed potatoes. Althought there were only 4 scallops on the plate, they were absolutely delicious, maybe not the choice for a big eater. Reservations are a must. Be sure to call if you are running late. All and all, a great meal!Special Features:
- The Best for Seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Always a pleasure dining at Docks. We drive in from South Philadelphia because its worth it. A stroll along the boardwalk is always in order afterward. Get the Cheese Pie for which they are known for. You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu and there are always ample specials to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Test of TimeSammieVIPDined on 8/27/2014The food is fresh and the place is old. Great selection of fresh tasty sea food. Excellent attentive service. Prices the reflect the quality of food. Always a great mea. Looking forward to our return visit. Oh, better make your reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingseatingDined on 8/27/2014Three women seated at the very back of the restaurant when there were tables we could have been seated at. Why do restaurants seat women this way? The food and service was good but the seating left a negative impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food Surprised by Poor serviceTonyVIPDined on 8/26/2014Have eaten here almost every time we visit AC, as it is a winner for some of the freshest seafood. However, this visit was marred by having to wait 50 minutes beyond our reservation time and a waitress who was clearly overwhelmed by her responsibilities. My experience at Docks has usually been a 10 minute wait with reservations; 50 minutes is ridiculous and it seemed walk-ins had a 50 minute wait, I would hope it was not because we made our reservations through Open Table. We had to ask and re ask our waitress for everything (bread, water, drink orders, getting our appetizers and then trying to get our entrees served at the same time). She was a very nice woman who apologized for not being up to par this evening but that is small solace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/26/2014Service was excellent. Food was ok nothing to rave aboutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerSABDABDined on 8/26/2014we had a great time and the food was excellent, and to make it better,our son in law paid the tabSpecial Features: