Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill
633 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docksoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 2129868080x
- Hours of Operation:
7 days a week
11:30am - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Continental
- Executive Chef: Steve Meyers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Band - Tuesday Evening 6-10pm & Sunday Brunch 11:30-3:30pm
- Special Events: 2014 Mother's Day Menu's Brunch & Dinner
Please call or email us
- Cross Street: East 40th Street
- Public Transit: Located just blocks away from Grand Central Terminal, we are easily accessible by the 4,5,6, or 7 train.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We validate parking tickets for customers using ICON Parking located on 205 E. 38th St. Just east of 3rd Avenue.
A word from Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill
Welcome to DOCKS. Established in 1986, we specialize in bringing the freshest seafood to the island of Manhattan. Rated by Zagat as one of the 50 most popular restaurants, we are a seafood lovers dream with our always fresh raw bar and daily specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (65)neighborhood gem (60)great for lunch (59)fit for foodies (57)vibrant bar scene (49)special occasion (44)great for brunch (34)notable wine list (22)hot spot (22)romantic (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Another fabulous birthday!!FrequentaVIPDined on 10/14/2014We wanted to celebrate my fiancé's birthday in a special way, and we both had to work, so we looked for a special venue that would make us forget we were dining on a Tuesday evening. We have been to Docks before and were happy to return again. I asked for a private table and they gave us a romantic table in the back where we could enjoy each other and our conversation. The food was sublime and the service was wonderful. Everything was wonderful and we had a fabulous time. We shall return.Special Features:
- Anniversary lunchdknjDined on 10/14/2014Came for anniversary lunch with hubby. Nice ambiance, very good food and nice attentive service.Special Features:
- excelenteliaDined on 10/12/2014As Always we had a great time at Docks.The food is more than very good.I think theyhave the best lobster.Although it isn't a fancy resraurant the food is wonderful.I really recomend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy DocksRebeccaVIPDined on 10/11/2014Docks is always good -- terrific service and delicious food. We dined there before we had children and now our teenage sons enjoy eating there, too.Special Features:
- MilanoDined on 10/8/2014I visit Docks often for good food and relaxed atmosphere. I love all the sea food dishes, especially salomon and tuna. The bread basket is amazing, very nice selection of breads and crackers. The service is very attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked everything but the fried foodBonniegalVIPDined on 10/6/2014My husband and I dined here recently and had a "mixed" experience. I ordered the jumbo shrimp cocktail and it was fresh and HUGE; just the way I like shrimp cocktail to be. For my entree I had the lobster roll , and it was wonderful. Fresh chunks of lobster, without a celery filler: YUM! My husband ordered the fried seafood platter of clams, shrimp and scallops and was very disappointed. The clams were big bait clams, and as former New Englanders, we know our seafood. Batter was heavy and the scallops didn't seem fresh. The waiter graciously exchanged his entree for the lobster roll as week, so the evening was salvaged. Nice atmosphere too!
- Great menu optionsLaCinnaDined on 10/2/2014Docks offers a great selection of entrees. Even a picky eater will find something on the menu. I recommend the mussels as an appetizer. If you order the calamari definitely go for the Rhode Island style. I ordered the 2lb steamed lobster. It was slightly cold and a little tough. I've had better. Try the seafood salad or the sea bass. Both are amazing. Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwhelming noisenudnickVIPDined on 10/1/2014The fish is fresh and so, to some extent, is the service. No the most welcoming place. The noise level and general attitude of the staff (who can blame them? the noise level is so irritating) create a brusque, character-less experience.
- VERY GOOD FOR BOTH FISH AND MEATEricVIPDined on 9/26/2014Though Docks specializes in seafood, there meat dishes are also well-prepared. The steak I had was excellent along with the garlic mash potatoes. Great place if your party can not agree on fish or steak.
- Always a winnerpalermoDined on 9/25/2014I met my friends for lunch at Dock's and as always, we enjoyed a fantastic meal. We were seated immediately, our server was friendly, attentive and efficient and our table afforded plenty of elbow room as well as privacy. Between the four of us we ordered salmon, crab cakes, lobster rolls and a cheeseburger and each of us loved our meal. The wine list offered a variety of selections all priced for value. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:
- Get freshAlatLunchDined on 9/23/2014Always reliable but fish entrees could use a little freshening up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food to share with groupCherieDined on 9/22/2014Reservation was so smooth and food filled all group with satisfaction. Absolutely recommend this place for those who love seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that goodPDineDined on 9/20/2014Simply put, docks is just not that good. Terrible wind list, fair service and not so good food. Person with me got the crab cakes and they loaded the plate up with ruffles potato chips. I mean it's suppose to be a nice place so why couldn't they put something besides chips from a bag
- Go for the seafoodImpressionsDined on 9/15/2014The selection is just right - extensive and really tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceTerryDined on 9/14/2014The decor and ambiance were wonderful. Very warm and inviting with a touch of elegance. Our server was outstanding. He knew we didn't want to be rushed through our meal and let us go at our own pace. The food was delicious. I had the lobster risotto and my daughter had the scallops. Also started with the fried calamari. All dishes were wonderful. I would definitely go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What It Used To BemlbdinesoutDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant is an old standby for my family. It had been awhile since I've been there, but I was disappointed by two things. There was one listing of a wine I was interested in at $46, another list said $50. When I pointed it out to the server, she said the $46 was on an old list. I should have insisted on the lower price, and so should she have. But she did not. (Not a big deal, just good customer service.) A longtime food favorite, the seafood platter, has not stood the test of time. It used to include fish, clams, shrimp, scallops and oysters. Now, just a couple of shrimp, scallops and way too many oysters. Disappointing. The lobster risotto was not bad. It's a pretty place, but seems to have lost a step or three. Too bad.
- Katrin123Dined on 9/12/2014a great restaurant and the service was terrific. great service and very attentive to our requests.Special Features:
- Consistent winnerChillyPalmerDined on 9/11/2014Great oyster selection and fresh fish make this a consistent winner. The service was outstanding. Helpful without pushing their agenda. It was a good late night find when many kitchens are closed. You can't go wrong hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for a great birthday dinnerNotnowVIPDined on 9/9/2014Lived the ribeye at this terrific fish house. Everyone ate different things. Love the down to earth feeling here. Home away from homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMJVDined on 9/4/2014Visiting from San Francisco, have been coming to Dock's for over 25 years', always get here on our arrival nite in the Big Apple, luv the food and the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodgenevaDined on 9/4/2014good place to go with co workers or friends, a little too loud for a date night place, but the food is great and so is the serviceSpecial Features:
- A mid-town gemdiscerningDined on 9/3/2014I know that I can always depend on Docks for outstanding food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!PamsterDined on 9/1/2014This is the second time visiting Docks and it was awesome. The staff was very accommodating with one in our party arriving late. The menu is full of every type of food, something for all. The clam bake was enjoyed by all. We all had trouble making our final decision on what to order. Will definitely return on my next visit to New York City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Labor Day SpecialdehillerinVIPDined on 9/1/2014We loved our early dinner on Labor Day. It was not crowded, so not really noisy. And there was indeed a special on a clambake dinner, different prices depending on the size lobster you chose. Not only a good deal--everything was prepared perfectly.Special Features:
- Make sure you have a serverDisappointedDined on 8/31/2014Dock's was recommended by our hotel staff. Easy on line reservation. Placed at a very nice corner table. Classic atmosphere. Order taken fairly quickly. Then, we waited. Served salad and waited. Suspected that we did not have a designated server. When someone came to clear our table (?), we pointed out that we had not had our entree. Then, we waited. I had to attract the attention of a server to ask him who our server was-"uh, a couple of us". Asked him to check on our entree-quickly arrived. My wife's was fine, mine was cold. Sent it back-returned fresh and very good. Still saw no server regularly-water glasses empty, empty food plates on the table. For our experience, we received a half-hearted "I'm sorry"/comped 1beer/wineSpecial Features:
- Always good diningLbaronessVIPDined on 8/31/2014Docks is my go to restaurant in the neighborhood. Food is always fresh. Service friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful!FrankVIPDined on 8/29/2014The grilled filet of sole was terrible! It was tough, dry, tasteless with black grill marks. The baked potato was desiccated and looked as if it had been lying around for days. Unbelievable that a fish restaurant cannot prepare a piece of sole. I complained to the waitress who shrugged her shoulders as if this was not an unusual event. To her credit, she offered me another dish and did not charge for the sole. I declined and went home for a sandwich.
- Reliable biz lunchAlatLunchDined on 8/28/2014Can't go wrong here at a neighborhood favorite for lunch with a small or large group. On a busy weekday recently, we snagged a quiet-ish corner table, perfect for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Great price fixed lunchJPennDined on 8/28/2014Always great food and service. Their prix fixe lunch menu was great. Lots of delicious food. Very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh fish, well preparedCather123VIPDined on 8/27/2014The menu online was pretty dull, but I hadn't been to Docks in years and a friend wanted to go for her birthday, so we went. As I had hoped, there were several inventive specials not listed on the menu. I had grilled grouper and it was quite delicious. The fish was cooked perfectly, and the sides of tangy salad and baby eggplant were great. I was delighted to find a terrific sauvignon blanc on the menu that I have had and loved for a very reasonable markup at just over $40. The birthday girl (who had just turned 80) was delighted with her meal of oysters to start and fried clams, and our 30 something friend was pleased with her sea bass special. The waiter was great - helpful, there when you needed him but never intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for fishJimjaxDined on 8/24/2014We had a half dozen oysters followed by crab soup followed by salmon and tuna. All were excellent. We had an especially attentive waitress named Shannon who was very helpful and a lot of fun. I had stopped going to Dock's several years ago because I thought it had seen better days but I can say now that it is back the way it used to be when it first opened years ago and I will be returning soon.Special Features:
- MillieDDined on 8/22/2014My friend and I both enjoyed the dishes that we ordered. My fried clams and her shrimp dish were delicious. The service was good, except that we were not given water and had to ask for it. The half-bottle of wine was disappointing in that we only had one glass each out of it. Ambience was casual and appealing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Much energy with good food/service. Strong after work business crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagHedgehogVIPDined on 8/19/2014Traditional room (tile floor, lots of wood) and competent if somewhat impersonal service. Fairly noisy. Food is uneven - crab cake starter was mediocre at best and at $18 for one small cake should have been excellent (at least). Seafood Cobb salad however is very good. All in all, a convenient location if you're looking for a place for a business dinner in midtown east, but not an inspirational experience.
- Great value and diverse menuEatwithAfriendDined on 8/18/2014Reasonable prices for great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great consistent placeTariqDined on 8/12/2014I have been going to Dock's for the past 20+ years and the food quality, service and overall ambiance has been consistently perfect throughout. I would recommend it to anyone, especially those who are seafood lovers like myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable first rate business lunchMichaelVIPDined on 8/11/2014Need i say more... a terrific place, great location, very good, fresh fish, excellent service, good wine list.Special Features:
- weird response to waiter's errorRightoSkipperDined on 8/6/2014Waited long time before asking the waiter to take our order. Fair enough, it was busy. When we were served our lunches the waiter gave one of my guests a plate of shrimp, which they enjoyed very much. One guest asked for a side order of shrimp, which never arrived but was on the bill. We stated that we would not pay for a side dish that wasn't delivered. We were told by the waiter and by the manager that the extra shrimp were on the other guest's plate of shrimp. No one knew this during the meal. We were still expected to pay....for a guest who unwittingly ate someone else's side order because her food items were on his plate. What?! We didn't pay for the extra 3 shrimp...Special Features:
- Reliable seafood.CB123Dined on 8/4/2014Docks has a great dining room and bar area. Food was steady and service was ok, maybe a little too casual. For seafood restauant I would have thought there would be more fish options but certainly you can find something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at DocksJANYCDined on 8/1/2014What a superb place for a lunch meeting. The food, as always is outstanding and the service is of the highest quality.Special Features: