Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill
633 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docksoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 2129868080x
- Hours of Operation:
7 days a week
11:30am - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Continental
- Executive Chef: Steve Meyers
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Band - Tuesday Evening 6-10pm & Sunday Brunch 11:30-3:30pm
- Special Events: 2014 Mother's Day Menu's Brunch & Dinner
Please call or email us
- Cross Street: East 40th Street
- Public Transit: Located just blocks away from Grand Central Terminal, we are easily accessible by the 4,5,6, or 7 train.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: We validate parking tickets for customers using ICON Parking located on 205 E. 38th St. Just east of 3rd Avenue.
A word from Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill
Welcome to DOCKS. Established in 1986, we specialize in bringing the freshest seafood to the island of Manhattan. Rated by Zagat as one of the 50 most popular restaurants, we are a seafood lovers dream with our always fresh raw bar and daily specials.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Docks Oyster Bar and Seafood Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
189 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)great for lunch (63)good for groups (55)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (49)vibrant bar scene (46)great for brunch (26)hot spot (17)notable wine list (16)romantic (14)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great for fishJimjaxDined on 8/24/2014We had a half dozen oysters followed by crab soup followed by salmon and tuna. All were excellent. We had an especially attentive waitress named Shannon who was very helpful and a lot of fun. I had stopped going to Dock's several years ago because I thought it had seen better days but I can say now that it is back the way it used to be when it first opened years ago and I will be returning soon.Special Features:
- MillieDDined on 8/22/2014My friend and I both enjoyed the dishes that we ordered. My fried clams and her shrimp dish were delicious. The service was good, except that we were not given water and had to ask for it. The half-bottle of wine was disappointing in that we only had one glass each out of it. Ambience was casual and appealing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Much energy with good food/service. Strong after work business crowdSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagHedgehogVIPDined on 8/19/2014Traditional room (tile floor, lots of wood) and competent if somewhat impersonal service. Fairly noisy. Food is uneven - crab cake starter was mediocre at best and at $18 for one small cake should have been excellent (at least). Seafood Cobb salad however is very good. All in all, a convenient location if you're looking for a place for a business dinner in midtown east, but not an inspirational experience.
- Great value and diverse menuEatwithAfriendDined on 8/18/2014Reasonable prices for great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great consistent placeTariqDined on 8/12/2014I have been going to Dock's for the past 20+ years and the food quality, service and overall ambiance has been consistently perfect throughout. I would recommend it to anyone, especially those who are seafood lovers like myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable first rate business lunchMichaelVIPDined on 8/11/2014Need i say more... a terrific place, great location, very good, fresh fish, excellent service, good wine list.Special Features:
- weird response to waiter's errorRightoSkipperDined on 8/6/2014Waited long time before asking the waiter to take our order. Fair enough, it was busy. When we were served our lunches the waiter gave one of my guests a plate of shrimp, which they enjoyed very much. One guest asked for a side order of shrimp, which never arrived but was on the bill. We stated that we would not pay for a side dish that wasn't delivered. We were told by the waiter and by the manager that the extra shrimp were on the other guest's plate of shrimp. No one knew this during the meal. We were still expected to pay....for a guest who unwittingly ate someone else's side order because her food items were on his plate. What?! We didn't pay for the extra 3 shrimp...Special Features:
- Reliable seafood.CB123Dined on 8/4/2014Docks has a great dining room and bar area. Food was steady and service was ok, maybe a little too casual. For seafood restauant I would have thought there would be more fish options but certainly you can find something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at DocksJANYCDined on 8/1/2014What a superb place for a lunch meeting. The food, as always is outstanding and the service is of the highest quality.Special Features:
- A select few remain!CharlieVIPDined on 7/30/2014Docks is one of the very few true fresh seafood restaurants left in NYC. The bar is inviting and the dining areas are spacious. Its' a bustling place at dinner and lunch but always pleasant. Energetic noise level can be avoided by requesting the back room. The seafood selection is extensive and very well prepared to your liking. One of the last places in the city to still get steamed clams with melted butter. Lobsters prepared any way you choose. This is far and away our favorite seafood restaurant in the city.Special Features:
- Very disappointingPJNYCVIPDined on 7/27/2014Bad experience for Sunday brunch. The restaurant was about half full, and our service was terrible. We waited a long time for everything. Ordered an egg dish (lobster potato bowl with poached eggs). The dishes came without the eggs, just a bowl of potatoes with bits of lobster. After many attempts to get any attention, our waiter finally came over, agreed that our eggs were missing and left. Later they brought out the poached eggs, not a new order just the eggs. By then the potatoes were stone cold. We were never offered coffee, which was supposed to be included in the brunch. Just the check. It was awful and embarrassing since I brought a friend from out of town. I have loved Docks forever, but this was so bad. Couldn't even get water.
- hate2cookDined on 7/27/2014Very pleasant dining experience. Great place to take out-of-town visitors. Live jazz a treat.Special Features:
- Always good foods but...delahoyazamoraDined on 7/25/2014We enjoyed your foods as usual. At this time, one disappointing issue was....main dishes came to the table well before we finish our apetizers and so we were forces to finish one plate to make a room to put those main plates on. Maybe we might have enjoyed our conversation a little bit too long. We came here many times before and this kind of case seldom happened. But just in case, from next time, we will order main dishes at the end of our apetizers in order to avoid this situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulSteveaterDined on 7/25/2014Great food. Great service. Just a great dining experience. The sesame crusted tuna was perfectly seasoned and cooked exactly as I asked. Plenty of choices fire drinks and service was polite and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lengthy dinnerNancie66Dined on 7/25/2014Dinner was meant for a time for old friends to catch up. The waiter was very cognizant of that, and allowed the meal to flow in a leisurely pace, while still making the time feel like a meal. Food was excellent, as always. Nice attention to without being intrusive.Special Features:
- Docks never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2014Docks is my go to for a working lunch. The fish is really fresh and there are a ton of good, health options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LJLbplDined on 7/23/2014The food was tasty but the New England clam chowder was lukewarm not hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchChrisDined on 7/23/2014Very good food! Waiters are friendly, professional and courteous. However I would recommend not to sit in the back because on a previous occasion, my group sat in the back and the service was slow. Overall great restaurant, good food but avoid being seated in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PonypalDined on 7/21/2014Great food, attentive service with a quiet table, which was great for conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spotMorgDined on 7/20/2014The food was well prepared with excellent service. We were placed in a table where the sun became a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OBGemVIPDined on 7/19/2014Always fresh and well prepared seafood. A very nice and relatively quiet spot on the east side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014I have been before for special occasions. This is a place I have told both family and friends, I am a big seafood lover, and truelly enjoyed the ipwich clams!! A true defnition of greatness from a shell. I have always enjoyed the cuisine and think of Docks when special occasions come about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceWeluvfinediningDined on 7/15/2014This was a great place to enjoy a dinner. It was my anniversary and my wife and I found this restaurant surfing the web after our first choice ended up being out of our budget. This was absolutely a better choice. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. The atmosphere was perfect for a romantic dinner. It had a nice crowd but was not crowded. Some of that may have been a combination of the weather (it was raining) and the fact that it was a Tuesday night. We simply enjoyed the experience and have already made plans to dine there again in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOUDAllenDined on 7/14/2014I return because I like the food, but the noise level always drives me away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeoMountainDined on 7/14/2014It was nice to have friends around at your restaurant. It exhibits the social side of life. I, together with my friends did have a good time during the lunch time there. Hopefully, the surroundings could be a little bit quiet. Anyway, I still have fond memory of the place.Special Features:
- Steamers are flavorful but SandyKMArubax4Dined on 7/11/2014I've been a Dock's diner since they opened but haven't been there in a while. Was craving steamers and lobster this weekend so it was my Go To place for that. The steamers were delicious but needed a good swish in the clam juice as they were very sandy. The lobster was flavorful but a bit overdone and chewy. Service very pleasant but slow to approach the table and I had to ask for a bowl for the lobster shells.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatLocalVIPDined on 7/11/2014Docks has been our seafood stop when visiting the city for 20 years. The seafood is always fresh and the service terrific. Never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- yummyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Service was great, place was packed, and the food was fresh and well prepared.Special Features:
- NYCFoodieVIPDined on 7/7/2014The seafood was fine - portions were large but nothing we ordered was out of this world. Good for a group of people with different tastes because of the extensive menu. This is more of a utility restaurant than a special gem.Special Features:
- Classic seafood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/7/2014Classic, fresh seafood delivered 7 days/ week. White table cloths that match the expected ambience and service. Had a great lobster special that was very fairly priced considering the restaurant and location. Would definitely go back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2014Littlenecks and crab cake remain a favorite. Arriving before noon ensures nicely paced lunch within an hour if schedule is tight; gets louder and more crowded towards 1 PM.Special Features:
- Delicious SalmonVeeBeeDined on 7/1/2014I opted for the salmon and I must say it was simply delicious. I certainly will be back to try the lobster.Special Features:
- handelhousDined on 7/1/2014Totally enjoyable - have never had a bad meal there. We were three in our party - we all ordered something different and each was a delight. can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- ReviewerReviewerVIPDined on 6/30/2014The food is excellent but the service the last two times (both within the past three weeks) has been horrible. The waiters/waitresses are fine but there are far too few of them and they just canot serve the customers. They stand at the computer screens for long periods suggesting the system is not up to par. The bus staff is impudent and unhelpful. The manager is uncaring and self-justifying. This is a change for the worse over the past several years and, because the prices are not a bargain, it is a big factor in deciding whether to select Docks despite good food and drinks.
- Great food for lunchDisappointedVIPDined on 6/30/2014I only went there for lunch. It is still one of my favorite plases for lunch .... The food is GREAT. Service great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Brunch.PhillyFoodieFromNJDined on 6/29/2014Had brunch here last Sunday before seeing a play. The food was solid and reasonably priced. I liked the brunch cocktail special and the brunch bread basket. I would've liked a few more brunch food options on the price fixe menu, but we each made it work. The service was good. The restaurant had a jazz quartet playing during brunch, which added great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrwaspyDined on 6/28/2014Great food and pleasant atmosphere made an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- janegoldVIPDined on 6/25/2014the seafood here is always wonderful and this visit was no exception... beautifully grilled soft shell crab... yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood!LaMariaDined on 6/21/2014If you are a seafood lover, this is definitively a good spot to go. Prices are reasonable, food and presentation are very good. We had the jumbo shrimp cocktail, lobster on linguini a la diavola and the black sea bass. The restaurant is also very nice. Excellent!Special Features: