5519 NE 30th Ave
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://docpdx.com/
- Phone: 5039468592x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday:
6:00pm - 9 for parties 5 or less (only a la carte)
6:00pm - 8:30 for parties of 6 or more (only tasting menu)
Friday & Saturday, 6:00pm or 8:30pm. For Fridays and Saturdays, we will only offer the tasting menu served promptly at 6pm and 8:30pm.
Retail Wine Sales: Tuesday - Saturday 4:00pm - close.
Corkage: $25 per 750ml
Gift Certificates: any denomination, by email or by phone (someone can assist you beginning at 3:30pm Tues - Sat)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brian Scibetta + Jordan Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for private functions, comfortably seating up to 26 people at 6 tables.
- Private Party Contact: Austin Bridges 5038697825x
A word from DOC
At DOC we embrace the Italian tradition of Denominazione di Origine Controllata, celebrating the quality, sense and very taste of this place that we call home. Chefs Brian Scibetta and Jordan Lee create weekly menus that reflect their love for the seasonal flavors of Oregon. The freshest local produce, wild forages and organic, pasture-raised meats from our favorite area farms are thoughtfully paired with outstanding wines and delicate cocktails to please and delight. A meal at DOC is an intimate experience. We invite you literally to step into our kitchen so that you can see your meal crafted from beginning to end by our passionate chefs. Our wine list takes its cue from the kitchen and is tastefully selected by wine steward Austin Morris Bridges.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
DOC reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (54)notable wine list (42)romantic (41)neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (7)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Dinner at DOCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014We've been to DOC multiple times and usually get the tasting menu. The items are constantly changing and reflect what's in season. We especially enjoyed the chickpea puree with marcona almond butter and avocado. A unique combination of textures and flavors. Austin always goes out of his way to make us feel welcomed and special. He has a gift for wine pairings as well - interesting combinations that suit the food. Dining at DOC is a special treat we look forward to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JmamaddogDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening at DOC. The food, wine and servers were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/16/2014DOC was recommended to us. It did not disappoint. The sommelier was extremely knowledgeable. The various 6 courses were quite good. We were given an individual table for two since it was a birthday celebration. Going early, we did not have a lot of other people until later in the evening. What we realize is that 6 courses for us at our age (70's) is a lot of food. But the evening was lovely. We would definitely recommend it as a place for lovers of good food and wine!Special Features:
- OutstandingrichardDined on 10/14/2014An outstanding dinner! The chefs tasting menu was great - every dish was prepared perfectly. I highly recommend the additional wine pairings for each course. Our server's knowledge of every wine was incredible. One of the best dinning experiences we have had in some time.Special Features:
- Stunning ambience and diningVancouverDined on 10/14/2014The DOC experience was everything we were hoping for. The food was beyond excellent, wine matches were fantastic and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend this establishment to anyone who enjoys a quiet evening accompanied with excellent food.Special Features:
- Thank you, DOC!!!!L2MDDined on 10/11/2014You turned an ordinary "date night" into a special occasion!! The prix fixe menu and wine pairing were a blast, besides being delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than food...ehesseDined on 10/11/2014In a word, theater describes our experience. From the pouring of the water to the delivery of our wine pairing there was notable presentation and scripting. The food was delicious from the Netarts Oysters to the Tomato and Mozzarella in vinaigrette. A bit confusing as we arrived, our party of four, and were instructed that we were going to be served everything on the menu. We chose to have our wines paired with the food. So there were 4 each of 6 courses and since only three were drinking, there were three of 6 pairings. We traded glasses and ate from all the plates so the palate was none the wiser? Well, you get the point! At only 3 blocks from home just another amazing choice within walking distance!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our dining experience was one of the best. The food was extraordinary and the wine pairings were perfect. Austin was a very knowledgable waiter but we would have liked him to slow down a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014We've been to DOC twice now and had the paired wine and entree flights both times. Truly extraordinary. I am not a wine connoisseur by any means, but I know when things harmonize and complement, and this was truly a ten on every level. My fiancee is Italian and the Caprese brought tears to her eyes. Every entree was superbly finished with a wonderful balance of refined flavors. Could not recommend it more for a romantic dinner, family or special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableFoodluvDined on 10/2/2014On a recent visit to Portland, DOC was recommended by our daughter's coworker as " the best restaurant in Portland ". While we have not tried as many establishments as the locals I don't think a meal anywhere else could have been better. The family style, prix fixe menu was inventive but not precious, preparation was spot on, service was warm and friendly, wine pairings were perfect. I could go on, but suffice it to say I will dine here on my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was all goodHappyValleyDaveDined on 10/1/2014A small space with friendly, knowledgeable servers who bring you what the chef chooses for you. Enjoyed every single dish. Unless you never consume alcohol, highly recommend choosing the wine pairing for each course brought to you by a sommelier who knows the wines down to the altitude of the vineyard. Be hungry when you arrive and you will enjoy a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicelomgtimefoodieDined on 9/27/2014The service was attentive but not "hovering". The food was very well prepared with a "taste" for everyone. Offering two different menu items for each course provided a great opportunity for a real "foodie" experience. The wine complemented each course, but did not overwhelm any of the food.Special Features:
- DOC rocksTengfilledDined on 9/23/2014This was a totally enjoyable dining experience. The pace of the evening and the service were outstanding and the food was well prepared and nicely plated. There were some menu items that we really wanted to try, which were not part of the "chef's choice" that evening, so I guess we'll just have to go back! The cocktails were over-the-top delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014DOC was a recommendation from the hotel we stayed in (The Vintage Plaza). We had the chef's pairing. Amazing food and great drink choices. Great vibe. Would definitely visit DOC again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at DOCluv2dineAlbertastyleDined on 9/19/2014Great little neighborhood place. Wonderful food, warm ambience and good service. I especially liked the watermelon salad. Our meal was chosen and served. We were given two dishes from every menu category which allowed for sharing. DOC is a very small place so I definitely suggest making a reservation. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- Unremarkable for Hype313BRCDined on 9/19/2014The DOC was disappointing after hearing from friends how great it was. The Wine and pairing with the food was outstanding - no complaints there. The salads were marginal, at best, the lamb was all bone and I could not cut the meat with their dull knife. THE DOC IS A "MUST NOT DO". Pass and go the the Country Cat.Special Features:
- Doc is excellent.EdgeDined on 9/16/2014Doc offers a tasting menu with or without wine pairings. We did it with the wine, great decision. The 6 courses were all excellent. Since they did chefs choice, we actually got to try 12 dishes. 11/12 wine pairings worked, one not as much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itGaryCamDined on 9/12/2014Our first experience at DOC for my wife and I. What a treat it was. We had a marvelous meal with perfectly chosen wine pairings. For what you receive, the cost is a great value. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely PhenomenalPdxwesDined on 9/10/2014If you don't do the wine pairing you are missing out. Everything was perfection, and the wine pairings took it to a whole new level! New favorite spot!Special Features:
- incredibleloveagoodmealDined on 8/30/2014this was ... by far ... the best meal of my life. a friend we were dining with felt the same way. just spectacular. Although- the staff needs to lighten up a bit. it was like a scene out of portlandia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food & ServicerkaapuDined on 8/29/2014I had heard about DOC from several friends and was looking for special occasion to visit. My parents came for the long weekend and thought this was a great time. We were seated on time and then explained what a treat we were in for with a six course meal, elegant wine pairings and amazing service. The food was prepared nearby by just a few staff which was astounding. The food was delicious and well prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkably consistentMaxiDined on 8/26/20144 meals there, next better than previous. Prie fixe all summer! Remarkably consistent and fabulous food, staff, and ambiance >> the criteria for a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!Brandig84Dined on 8/13/2014Picking a favorite restaurant in this city is hard, but as I've been here 5 times now it must be near the top of my list. The food is creative, delicious and made with local ingredients. The wait staff/sommeliers are wonderful and eager to share their knowledge with you. It's an intimate setting whole remaining casual simultaneously. GO THERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasting JournyAandFDined on 8/6/2014The courses and wine pairings were fantastic. We tasted new flavors and textures with every plate and pour. We bought one of the wines we tasted. We can't say enough about the wine pairings. It was our 9th anniversary and it was a great experience. It is definitely on the spendy side, but well worth it for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesllgaDined on 8/5/2014We always love evenings at DOC. A great food experience. I am always challenged with foods I might not normally try and it always has great flavours and expands my palate.Special Features:
- Besting Tasting Menu in PortlandSweetHotMessDined on 8/2/2014Beautiful night all around! The wine pairings were spot on across the board. The inventive combinations of beautifully fresh ingredients were wonderful. My only complaint was that I didn't get to taste the whole menu. Go with four or more in your party and share to get the full experience. I was so looking forward to the duck liver brulee and the elephant ear dessert. Oh well, the Panna Cotta with fresh berries and apricot was luscious. Not too sweet, not too rich, and the most perfect texture I have experienced in a panna cotta, and it is a favorite so I have had a lot. Like the creamiest, silkiest ice cream ever but not frozen. Who wants to take me back for more? ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so...cdp1276VIPDined on 8/1/2014I just wasn't wow'd by the food after hearing so much about the experience. We were put at a table in the back by the bathroom and was all I could look at. I felt the wine pairings were not that great and dominantly white. One of my pours was missed and on the last one the guy tells me if you prefer reds I can switch them up for you. At the beginning would be more helpful to know that. I really felt the food was avg at best and not worth the cost. Not to mention know that your signing up for a 3 hour experience!!!Special Features:
- PERFECTO!AnnaDined on 7/30/2014I am beyond pleased to find this little gem, as I was searching online for the perfect place to take my sisters and mom,who were in town visiting. I had arrived first, opened the door and was greeted warmly in the kitchen? by the chef? sous chef? and a beautiful blonde? Yes!, it was wonderful. I felt as if I just got home and someone was cooking something delicious in my dream kitchen. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but you are missing out if you do not eat here. It has ambiance, its warm, intimate, our server was fabulous (very knowledgeable), and the chef/ sous chef move effortlessly in the kitchen to create an amazing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a memorable dining experienceluv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/24/2014Been to DOC before but did not do the tasting menu until this summer (now it's not an option to do a la carte). Go with at least 3-4 people. Order the $60pp tasting menu. Every course delighted us: unique food combinations, all using freshest seasonal produce. All awesome! And definitely the best desserts in Portland. The wines chosen to accompany our meals were fantastic too.. Sicilian and Italian varieties of red that were stupendous. The kitchen is part of the restaurant... for us charming like a home. We will now try to do DOC at least once every other month... A truly memorable intimate dining experience. The staff/ chefs are welcoming professional helpful and delightful too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for the cost and serviceLaoTanDined on 7/19/2014VERY expensive. Food was good but we didn't like that we had no choice what we were served....2 choices for each course but they selected what we got. In some cases we both wanted the same thing but they would serve the 2 dishes regardless. We ordered the wine flight each...for $60 each, you would think they would bring fresh glasses with each tasting! Same glass throughout the night.....which we found to be really "uncool" for such a esteemed restaurant! Wine steward hovered over us with the next tasting so we almost had to gulp what was left in our glass for him to rush into the next pouring.It felt too rushed and not special. For $300 for 2 people, it should feel special!Special Features:
- A dinner to remembereleatsDined on 7/16/2014My first trip to Portland fell over my birthday, making it even more of a reason to find someplace special to celebrate. DOC fit the bill of wanting a unique, delicious, and memorable dining experience. Our party of four enjoyed every bite of the prix fixe menu (including wine pairings). We loved the small staff of five (chef, sous chef, dishwasher, and two servers) that handled seamlessly the courses for the 20-30 people dining in the full dining room overlooking the kitchen action. The kitchen wasn't loud or ostentatious, but just busy at work and doing what they do best. If we had any critiques it was that we received one glass of each type of wine. We shared just fine as we are family, but for strangers it could be awkward.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingScottSDined on 7/12/2014The food, service, and wine were some of the best I've ever had in Portland. Cannot recommend this place enough. The crew is extremely passionate about what they do and that is something customers feel the moment they walk into DOC. Please do yourselves a favor and check this spot out - you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Amazing, as usualeviltroutsDined on 7/11/2014We love going to D.O.C. It is our go-to place to celebrate our anniversary, which is what we did again this year. As always, it was the perfect place to go. The food was outstanding, the service was wonderful, and the ambience was spot on.Special Features:
- Exceptional ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014If you haven't experienced DOC in a very special corner of NE Portland consider it in your future. Four of us went to celebrate a friend's retirement and were exceptionally pleased. Through word of mouth we selected DOC which exceeded our expectations. The service was excellent with knowledge and warmth. The food was varied with each course topping the next. Go!Special Features:
- The following 461 reviews are from the DOC reviews archive.
- Truly amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014The DOC tasting menu - the only option - is simply amazing. Hands down best meal we've had in a long time and every time we visit DOC we remember that it's at the very top of our list of Portland restaurants. The staff is incredibly knowledgable about their food and wine which makes the experience even better. I can't recommend this restaurant enough.Special Features:
- One of the best in PortlandDrLungVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had the tasting menu, which was astoundingly good as usual, with excellent wine pairings. The noise level inside was higher than we had previously encountered at DOC, making it difficult to hear. So we moved outdoors and had a very relaxed meal in their sidewalk seating. Overall, another great meal at DOC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible All-aroundkareneatsDined on 5/31/2014We went to DOC for a special birthday dinner and had a fabulous time. Small place which meant great service and intimate atmosphere. The open kitchen allowed us to watch the chef's cook right from our table...and when the food came out we were so impressed. It was tasty, simple in ingredients, but complex and interesting in flavor. Local, seasonal, fresh produce was the highlight of almost every dish. We recommend DOC to anyone looking for truly good food and lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Wine bewareLesismoreDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I were celebrating my birthday. Our son got in on the act because he gave a generous money gift specifically aimed at this restaurant. We loved the 5 course food option We found the glass of Barolo wine at $18 a pop outrageously expensive. And it wasn't even that much wine. thanks for asking.Special Features:
- Nailed it againBiscuitNEDined on 5/31/2014We've been coming to DOC since shortly after they opened and they nailed it again with amazing food, wonderful service and a fantastic overall experience. The server recognized us as he seated us and asked if we had any questions. After looking at the menu, we asked if wine-pairing with the courses was still available (it's not listed on the menu) and he assured us it was. That's the best way to go, as they do a great job pairing wines with each offering on the menu. The wines that accompanied each course enhanced the food and were labels that we hadn't seen. He also offered that they do retail sales, which I imagine would be great, but expensive. Do yourself a favor, make a reservation and eat here.Special Features:
- What a treat!Isabelle30Dined on 5/29/2014As my first time in Portland, I wanted to dine somewhere that was uniquely Portland and came upon DOC. I perused the menu and wine list and quickly read less than 3 reviews to make a reservation. My experience was very positive! Without revealing too much, I will say it is a very lovely restaurant, the tasting menu (with the optional wine pairings) is the best way to go, and the service is absolutely impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.