5519 NE 30th Ave
Portland, OR 97211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://docpdx.com/
- Phone: 5039468592x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Service: Tuesday - Thursday, 6:00pm - 8:30; Friday & Saturday, 6:00pm or 8:30pm. For the Summer DOC will exclusively offer the Chef's Tasting menu. Last seating for the Tasting Menu is 8:30 for all evenings. Friday + Saturday, the tasting menu is served promptly at 6pm and 8:30pm.
Retail Wine Sales: Tuesday - Saturday 4:00pm - close.
Corkage: $25 per 750ml
Gift Certificates: any denomination, by email or by phone (someone can assist you beginning at 3:30pm Tues - Sat)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Italian, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Brian Scibetta + Jordan Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available for private functions, comfortably seating up to 26 people at 6 tables.
- Private Party Contact: Austin Bridges 5038697825x
A word from DOC
At DOC we embrace the Italian tradition of Denominazione di Origine Controllata, celebrating the quality, sense and very taste of this place that we call home. Chefs Brian Scibetta and Jordan Lee create weekly menus that reflect their love for the seasonal flavors of Oregon. The freshest local produce, wild forages and organic, pasture-raised meats from our favorite area farms are thoughtfully paired with outstanding wines and delicate cocktails to please and delight. A meal at DOC is an intimate experience. We invite you literally to step into our kitchen so that you can see your meal crafted from beginning to end by our passionate chefs. Our wine list takes its cue from the kitchen and is tastefully selected by wine steward Austin Morris Bridges. At just $60 our 5-course tasting menu is an impressive and incredible deal. A table of 4 can experience nearly every item on the menu and, with an additional $45, all of the suggested wine pairings. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
DOC reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)special occasion (41)romantic (37)notable wine list (31)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (6)good for groups (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Amazing Food & ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014I had heard about DOC from several friends and was looking for special occasion to visit. My parents came for the long weekend and thought this was a great time. We were seated on time and then explained what a treat we were in for with a six course meal, elegant wine pairings and amazing service. The food was prepared nearby by just a few staff which was astounding. The food was delicious and well prepared. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Remarkably consistentMaxiDined on 8/26/20144 meals there, next better than previous. Prie fixe all summer! Remarkably consistent and fabulous food, staff, and ambiance >> the criteria for a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love!Brandig84Dined on 8/13/2014Picking a favorite restaurant in this city is hard, but as I've been here 5 times now it must be near the top of my list. The food is creative, delicious and made with local ingredients. The wait staff/sommeliers are wonderful and eager to share their knowledge with you. It's an intimate setting whole remaining casual simultaneously. GO THERE!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasting JournyAandFDined on 8/6/2014The courses and wine pairings were fantastic. We tasted new flavors and textures with every plate and pour. We bought one of the wines we tasted. We can't say enough about the wine pairings. It was our 9th anniversary and it was a great experience. It is definitely on the spendy side, but well worth it for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Besting Tasting Menu in PortlandSweetHotMessDined on 8/2/2014Beautiful night all around! The wine pairings were spot on across the board. The inventive combinations of beautifully fresh ingredients were wonderful. My only complaint was that I didn't get to taste the whole menu. Go with four or more in your party and share to get the full experience. I was so looking forward to the duck liver brulee and the elephant ear dessert. Oh well, the Panna Cotta with fresh berries and apricot was luscious. Not too sweet, not too rich, and the most perfect texture I have experienced in a panna cotta, and it is a favorite so I have had a lot. Like the creamiest, silkiest ice cream ever but not frozen. Who wants to take me back for more? ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so...cdp1276VIPDined on 8/1/2014I just wasn't wow'd by the food after hearing so much about the experience. We were put at a table in the back by the bathroom and was all I could look at. I felt the wine pairings were not that great and dominantly white. One of my pours was missed and on the last one the guy tells me if you prefer reds I can switch them up for you. At the beginning would be more helpful to know that. I really felt the food was avg at best and not worth the cost. Not to mention know that your signing up for a 3 hour experience!!!Special Features:
- PERFECTO!AnnaDined on 7/30/2014I am beyond pleased to find this little gem, as I was searching online for the perfect place to take my sisters and mom,who were in town visiting. I had arrived first, opened the door and was greeted warmly in the kitchen? by the chef? sous chef? and a beautiful blonde? Yes!, it was wonderful. I felt as if I just got home and someone was cooking something delicious in my dream kitchen. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but you are missing out if you do not eat here. It has ambiance, its warm, intimate, our server was fabulous (very knowledgeable), and the chef/ sous chef move effortlessly in the kitchen to create an amazing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a memorable dining experienceluv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/24/2014Been to DOC before but did not do the tasting menu until this summer (now it's not an option to do a la carte). Go with at least 3-4 people. Order the $60pp tasting menu. Every course delighted us: unique food combinations, all using freshest seasonal produce. All awesome! And definitely the best desserts in Portland. The wines chosen to accompany our meals were fantastic too.. Sicilian and Italian varieties of red that were stupendous. The kitchen is part of the restaurant... for us charming like a home. We will now try to do DOC at least once every other month... A truly memorable intimate dining experience. The staff/ chefs are welcoming professional helpful and delightful too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for the cost and serviceLaoTanDined on 7/19/2014VERY expensive. Food was good but we didn't like that we had no choice what we were served....2 choices for each course but they selected what we got. In some cases we both wanted the same thing but they would serve the 2 dishes regardless. We ordered the wine flight each...for $60 each, you would think they would bring fresh glasses with each tasting! Same glass throughout the night.....which we found to be really "uncool" for such a esteemed restaurant! Wine steward hovered over us with the next tasting so we almost had to gulp what was left in our glass for him to rush into the next pouring.It felt too rushed and not special. For $300 for 2 people, it should feel special!Special Features:
- A dinner to remembereleatsDined on 7/16/2014My first trip to Portland fell over my birthday, making it even more of a reason to find someplace special to celebrate. DOC fit the bill of wanting a unique, delicious, and memorable dining experience. Our party of four enjoyed every bite of the prix fixe menu (including wine pairings). We loved the small staff of five (chef, sous chef, dishwasher, and two servers) that handled seamlessly the courses for the 20-30 people dining in the full dining room overlooking the kitchen action. The kitchen wasn't loud or ostentatious, but just busy at work and doing what they do best. If we had any critiques it was that we received one glass of each type of wine. We shared just fine as we are family, but for strangers it could be awkward.Special Features:
- Simply OutstandingScottSDined on 7/12/2014The food, service, and wine were some of the best I've ever had in Portland. Cannot recommend this place enough. The crew is extremely passionate about what they do and that is something customers feel the moment they walk into DOC. Please do yourselves a favor and check this spot out - you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- Amazing, as usualeviltroutsDined on 7/11/2014We love going to D.O.C. It is our go-to place to celebrate our anniversary, which is what we did again this year. As always, it was the perfect place to go. The food was outstanding, the service was wonderful, and the ambience was spot on.Special Features:
- Exceptional ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014If you haven't experienced DOC in a very special corner of NE Portland consider it in your future. Four of us went to celebrate a friend's retirement and were exceptionally pleased. Through word of mouth we selected DOC which exceeded our expectations. The service was excellent with knowledge and warmth. The food was varied with each course topping the next. Go!Special Features:
- Truly amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014The DOC tasting menu - the only option - is simply amazing. Hands down best meal we've had in a long time and every time we visit DOC we remember that it's at the very top of our list of Portland restaurants. The staff is incredibly knowledgable about their food and wine which makes the experience even better. I can't recommend this restaurant enough.Special Features:
- One of the best in PortlandDrLungVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had the tasting menu, which was astoundingly good as usual, with excellent wine pairings. The noise level inside was higher than we had previously encountered at DOC, making it difficult to hear. So we moved outdoors and had a very relaxed meal in their sidewalk seating. Overall, another great meal at DOC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible All-aroundkareneatsDined on 5/31/2014We went to DOC for a special birthday dinner and had a fabulous time. Small place which meant great service and intimate atmosphere. The open kitchen allowed us to watch the chef's cook right from our table...and when the food came out we were so impressed. It was tasty, simple in ingredients, but complex and interesting in flavor. Local, seasonal, fresh produce was the highlight of almost every dish. We recommend DOC to anyone looking for truly good food and lovely night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, Wine bewareLesismoreDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I were celebrating my birthday. Our son got in on the act because he gave a generous money gift specifically aimed at this restaurant. We loved the 5 course food option We found the glass of Barolo wine at $18 a pop outrageously expensive. And it wasn't even that much wine. thanks for asking.Special Features:
- Nailed it againBiscuitNEDined on 5/31/2014We've been coming to DOC since shortly after they opened and they nailed it again with amazing food, wonderful service and a fantastic overall experience. The server recognized us as he seated us and asked if we had any questions. After looking at the menu, we asked if wine-pairing with the courses was still available (it's not listed on the menu) and he assured us it was. That's the best way to go, as they do a great job pairing wines with each offering on the menu. The wines that accompanied each course enhanced the food and were labels that we hadn't seen. He also offered that they do retail sales, which I imagine would be great, but expensive. Do yourself a favor, make a reservation and eat here.Special Features:
- What a treat!Isabelle30Dined on 5/29/2014As my first time in Portland, I wanted to dine somewhere that was uniquely Portland and came upon DOC. I perused the menu and wine list and quickly read less than 3 reviews to make a reservation. My experience was very positive! Without revealing too much, I will say it is a very lovely restaurant, the tasting menu (with the optional wine pairings) is the best way to go, and the service is absolutely impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinners to rememberMermaidstaleDined on 5/23/2014"WOW"..another wonderful dining experience at D.O.C. We went with another couple that had never been. We opted for the Tasting Menu with the wine paring. Everything was so wonderful. Flavors and presentation were perfect. Austin is gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealfoodieextraordinarieDined on 5/15/2014Special occasion dinner and another opportunity to visit DOC. Thoroughly enjoyed the tasting menu, food was excellent, service was wonderful and the wine outstanding. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 453 reviews are from the DOC reviews archive.
- D.O.C. DeliversOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Second time here and both visits were a total joy. Went with another couple both times and both times ordered the tasting menu. Something like 10-12 dishes come out over the course of two and a half hours, and each member of the party shares family style from a single plate. Portions are small but satisfying; it's really about sampling as many memorable dishes as possible. Of the 24 or so plates that have come out over both visits there has never been a dish that didn't impress or satisfy. Love this place. Want to go back again and again. And Nonna next door is equally enjoyable.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2014As always, this meal was just perfect! Austin always recommends perfect wine paired with each dish and insures our picks are nicely balanced with one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful anniversary eveningNathanPDXDined on 4/18/2014We've been to DOC before for special occasions, so we knew what to expect. I made sure to let them know this dinner was for an anniversary and the whole staff did a great job making a fantastic experience for us. Greeted first by the chef with a smile, our waiter welcomed me by name and took us to our seat. We chose the tasting menu with a split wine pairing and it was fantastic! Alaskan oysters with grapefruit were delightful! Salmon was crispy on top and perfectly moist throughout. Lamb was awesome and the duck melted in my mouth. Desert came with a candle and anniversary wish from the chef again! Class act, great food, wonderful range of wines... Perfect for our special night! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but overpricedanmorrisDined on 4/16/2014Of course the food here is good. Very good even. But the fact is, at that price point it should be fantastic, and it's just kind of not. I live quite close to them and wish it were much better, but for that price there are a number of other spots I'd rather try...
- Doc is outstandingJimMVIPDined on 4/9/2014The Chef's Tasting Menu was superb. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and drink we're veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/4/2014Food and drink we're very good. Sommelier was very knowledgeable but busy. Service was a bit slow and overwhelmedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good. Service wasdinerVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was good. Service was better. Restaurant was busy and customers were loud.Special Features:
- Good food/wine pairingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014My husband, young daughter, and I had two salads and two main courses. The food was good, one dish actually quite inspired (avocado and chickpeas), but overall not worth the $120 tab (we also had a total of 3 glasses of wine, no dessert). The wine list is phenomenal, and the servers know what they're doing with it, so if your interest is great food and wine pairing, I would highly recommend this restaurant. I have some health issues that don't allow me to enjoy wine as I used to, but I know there was another time in my life that I would have thoroughly enjoyed what DOC has to offer. I just don't think the food is the main attraction here--you've got to have the interest in the wine too for it to be worth the tab.Special Features:
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/11/2014We got the 5-course dinner with wine pairings. Every course was excellent. The wine pairings were also excellent. Overall it was an outstanding meal. The rap music was not something that I would choose to listen to during a meal. Fortunately either the noise as the restaurant filled drowned out the music or you turned it down.Special Features:
- Expected MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014I chose this place because it looked quiet (the pictures on their website showed table linen) it was not. The food was meh...nothing outstanding and it arrived cold. We spent over $350 and expected more. I think the DOC was distracted with their sister Nonna, it was really happening next door and the menu at Nonna looked more interesting.Special Features:
- Fancy but not skimpyscuttlefieldDined on 2/28/2014The food here was prepared as you would expect to see and an upscale restaurant with great sauces, seasonings, and overall presentation. Many times, however, an fancier restaurants, the portions are quite small. That was not the case at DOC. I left feeling quite full, and I only had an appetizer and a main course. And it goes without saying, everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSTmbDined on 2/28/2014I have known about DOC for years but only now have made it there for supper. It was so amazing the food and wine pairing was perfection. We did the tasting menu so you get to try alot of things, hands down the best risotto I have ever had, it would make baby Jesus cry it was so tasty! Everything was really above my expectations and it is alot of food when you do the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Birthday celebrationCerberusDined on 2/25/2014DOC is a gem! If you have never tried DOC you are missing out on one of Portland's finest dining experiences. The food is truly exceptional and they have a great ability to pair the perfect wine with each course. DOC is very small and has a nice romantic feel without being dark and overly intimate. This is also a great place to bring a small group of business associates for a nice leisurely dining experience. There is no rush at DOC. Plan on being there for two hours of perfectly proportioned course's of fine food and a nice desert. if you pick the Chef's nightly selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every momentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/22/2014First of all, we were blown away by the vision of these chefs to even conceive of putting a restaurant into this tiny storefront space. This made the service up close and personal in every sense. Our servers were a delight. The mixed drinks menu was so beautifully put together that we skipped wine altogether. My guess is that the wine list is in keeping with the excellence of the food and drink. There was nothing that we tried that wasn't cause for purring and eye-rolling. A memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menu was delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2014My hubby and I celebrated our anniversary here and it was so yummy. We had the tasting menu which allowed us to try 12 different dishes over 6 courses. Absolutely fantastic meal.Special Features:
- good experienceMomofDanaDined on 2/19/2014We were initially taken aback by the "communal seating" since we were escorting an elderly lady (and my husband and I are also seniors), and we're frankly not used to or fond of that kind of seating. However, our guest did not seem to mind -- in fact she engaged the couple next to us in conversation. The food and service were excellent..Special Features:
- Best ExperiencekablesDined on 2/15/2014Far and away our best dining experience to date. Amazing food, great wines! We did the tasting menu and it was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect EveningTowanda1Dined on 2/15/2014We loved our meal at DOC. We did the tasting menu with wine pairing and were not disappointed. Every course was delicious and the wine pairings were perfect. The service was great - very knowledgeable and personable staff.Special Features:
- Simply Superb FoodWillDined on 1/23/2014Our first visit to D.O.C. won't be our last. From beginning to end, the meal was wonderful. I'd particularly recommend the pasta with chili and sausage, with its great mixture of flavors and textures. The potato appetizer, suggested by our server, was also exceptional, with just the right amount of heat. Our affable server was incredibly knowledgeable about the wines, the food, and the bread (not to be missed), and did a good job of keeping us on track for our concert start time. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.