124 Columbus Ave
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docrickettssf.com/
- Phone: (415) 649-6191
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm;
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Justin Deering
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Doc's Lab is our subterranean performance venue below Doc Ricketts. The space was the legendary Purple Onion and currently showcases music, comedy, literary events & more. For more information and a full schedule of events please visit: docslabsf.com
A word from Doc Ricketts
Doc Ricketts Restaurant and the underground venue Doc's Lab are located on the western edge of the Jackson Square Historic District—a neighborhood with a long history of food and entertainment dating back to the Barbary Coast Era of the Gold Rush. Doc Ricketts and Doc’s Lab’s extensive renovations preserved the 1911 building.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Ricketts reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (10)special occasion (9)late-night find (7)notable wine list (6)good for groups (5)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Food was excellent, service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/18/2014I really don't understand the negative reviews regarding the staff friendliness, I thought they were really nice. I showed up early for my reservation and asked to sit at the bar. They were nice about it. I didn't want to order alcohol yet while waiting, they have some excellent non-alcholic mixed drinks and they didn't look at me weird when I ordered one. The service at the table was very friendly. I was actually expecting a bit snobby based on the reviews here, but that wasn't the case at all. Oh, and the food......the food is absolutely fantastic. Very good sized portions too, which is sometimes hard to find when the food is so yummy. Easily two meals, even if your hungry. Finishing personal touch for me...they have Boodles gin, my favorite :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service but amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014From the moment I walked in the service was terrible. I was not greeted upon entering even thought the place had one table at the time & I had a reservation. When I said hello and mentioned I had a reservation, they looked at me with dumbfounded faces and told me to sit wherever I wanted. I chose a two-top by the window but realized it was very bright and just not comfortable in general so I asked to switch to a darker table with a booth. I was denied this request. The ambiance of the whole place was very bright, cold, and hard (not very inviting) and the music was too loud. Speaking of the music, it was a great mix and really contributed nicely to the vibe of the place. We chose this specific restaurant because it is new and we were excited to try the menu. There were a few items on the menu I had questions about (including some ingredients I have never heard of) so I asked our server who responded with a smug, a long pause, and a "what do you mean?". She had an extremely poor attitude and basically treated us as if we were wasting her time. I felt like it was a lot of work on our part to enjoy a good meal because of her attitude throughout. She continued to rush us through our meal and treat us as a thorn in her side even though we were very appreciative and complimentary of our multiple courses. On a brighter note; the food was FANTASTIC! The presentation was out of this world; think bright beautiful colors and artistic garnishes. The burrata appetizer was flavorful and seasonally well-prepared, and the steak was amazing; rich, flavorful sauces with just the right amount of acidity and potato gratin perfectly seasoned. A must-have is the chocolate dessert. OUT OF THIS WORLD (and it includes a layer of peanut butter inside, cant go wrong there). Overall, the food really redeemed this place from when I walked in and I would recommend it to my friends. I would however, suggest they up the ante on training their staff in general hospitality and service skills. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodoutforfunDined on 11/10/2014The food here is really amazing. Its an entertainment spot for sure, and we knew the pedigree of the Chef but we had a really outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerNorthbeachersDined on 11/8/2014We had a great experience. The food & service were exceptional. Katie our waitress was very pleasant & went beyond the usual to make us feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014The charcuterie plate was delicious, but after that everything failed to impress. It was good food, but not good enough to recommend.
- Great little placeGBARCHDined on 10/14/2014Small venue but intimate in a good sense. Service was outstanding. The Only thing I can complain about is that when I ordered my medium rare burger, It arrived well done. Not a huge problem as i just ate it but just something to for you to know.Special Features:
- Fabulous findmolalvrDined on 10/14/2014Had dinner with friends on a weeknight. Menu is outstanding, fresh local ingredients carefully combined and prepared. All of our selections were flavorful and creative but not pretentious. Really, there were way too many things on the menu that we wanted to try, and everything we ordered was outstanding. Loved the appetizers, from the Pistou soup of fresh veggies and lemony broth to the best Pancetta salad with kale. Atmosphere is casual but elegant and love the science lab theme and simple and comfortable decor. Service was friendly and attentive. Overall, a fantastic find and the kind of place you would want to return to often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doc RickettsNNinSFVIPDined on 10/7/2014Doc Ricketts is a great place to dine for those of us living in SF and looking for new, comfortable places to enjoy a meal as well as a place to bring out of town friends. In the space of the former Purple Onion, an SF icon, after dinner, being able to go downstairs to Doc's Lab for live entertainment is truly a San Francisco treat. The Manhattan's are perfect. The service is friendly and everyone will do whatever it takes to make you a satisfied customer. The menu is not overwhelming like many others in the City. I loved the cod and all the first plates are excellent. While not a red meat eater, I am told the short ribs burger is simply amazing. Doc Ricketts- a new North Beach staple be sure to check it out.Special Features:
- Great food and service, but priceyRickackDined on 10/6/2014I had troubled myself to write a thorough review, only to discover belatedly that I was 550 characters over the limit. Since a conscientious and diligent review is not possible in the space Open Table has allotted, here's a flyweight summary: Very good food, quite pricey, superb service, festive ambiance. Price does not seem to have been on the minds of many reviewers, but I suspect this is because most of them ordered the 'burger and fries. My party of three ordered full dinners, and the tab came to $240, tip included. We had a split of excellent Champagne for $45, but no cocktails or wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hoodDined on 9/27/2014burger good. staff friendly. fun neighborhood. very small. liked the comedy clubSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doc Rickett'scnelsonsfDined on 9/16/2014This place rocks! I feel like I've stumbled upon a wonderful hidden gem in North Beach. We'll see how long the secret lasts! Until then, believe me when I say there's more to Doc Rickett's than my post. From Columbus, you can see the main dining room, which is actually small and thus inviting. Lots of reclaimed wood, highlighted by the bar, where custom cocktails reign. We came for dinner. The menu is concise and focused. We started with the house made charcuterie plate (delicious) and followed with the steak and chicken. Both were good but (for me) the chicken was the star (brined, marinated, crispy skin, savory flavors = excellent!) Hidden below the dining room is an awesome music venue. You've gotta see it to believe it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the Doc Ricketts reviews archive.