Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
117 East Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/
- Phone: 6104294046x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:45am - 10pm
Thursday & Friday: 11:45am-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Frew
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merrill 6104294046x
- Entertainment: Thursday Karaoke10pm-2am
Friday & Saturday DJ 10pm-2am
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is limited parking available on the surrounding streets, but there are private operated lots and a public parking garage available near the intersection of East Gay Street and Walnut. Also, there is a private lot operated directly behind Doc's in the back alley.
**NOW VALIDATING PARKING** We will validate up to 2 hours of parking at the Chestnut Street Garage (located less than a block away at the intersection of Walnut and Chestnut).
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
A West Chester institution is born! In the late 1800's and the 1900's, there were more than a dozen places to enjoy oysters in West Chester. As we developed our classic 1900's Oyster House, we strive to pay tribute & homage to the great tradition of enjoying little aphrodisiacs. We have spared no expense to create an Oyster House that transforms you back to a simpler time of food, fun & merriment in a local oyster house. At Doc's, our mission is to provide an exceptional seafood & raw bar experience for our guests & exceed their expectations for quality & service in a warm, vintage environment. It is our joy to serve you the freshest sustainable seafood, the finest handcrafted beers & a superior wine selection! We hope you enjoy our addition to beautiful downtown West Chester.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (39)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (24)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (19)great for lunch (18)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (11)great for brunch (10)late-night find (6)romantic (5)scenic view (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Lobster Bake Feast!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014While I've dined at Doc's multiple times over the years, my most recent visit was a birthday celebration. I indulged in the Lobster Bake special and ate like a king. The lobster was perfect, as were the buffet selections (shrimp, mussels, corn, potatoes, etc.). The beer samples were exceedingly generous and the selection was quite good. I left stuffed and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never go on a Saturday!roadwarriorVIPDined on 8/16/2014For us, the evening started out as expected - ordered cocktails and appetizers which arrived in a timely manner. Our entrees, were another story - we waited over 45 minutes for them - the manager and server apologized profusely. Once we finally did receive our entrees, they were mediocre at best. We were not charged for them - the manager did a nice job of "service recovery", but I don't believe we'll venture there on a weekend again.
- Nice for Eating OutdoorsVegetarianFoodieDined on 8/9/2014Went here for the 1st time ever on a Froday evening. The staff and servers were warm and friendly. The seafood menu was varied and the prep and presentation were good. We sat on the wide patio-sidewalk in front, along W. Chester's main street, so the traffic noise was somewhat loud at times, but the weather was quite nice that evening, so the overall experience was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Here!DininspiderDined on 8/8/2014Great drink prices and varied selection of appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buck-a-Shuck Half-Way DealTheredwinerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Belonging to the VIP club, I received an e-mail notifying me of National Oyster Day. Doc Magrogan's would be offering $1 (Buck-a-shuck) oysters all day long, instead of just during their normal happy hour. This was a draw. They also offered 4 different steamer pots, North, South, East and West, with varying combos of lobster, crab, shrimp, oysters, clams & regional seasonings and sauces for $25 each. That was a great deal if you didn't plan on taking full advantage of the $! deal. In the ad, they stated 15 varieties of oysters, however, only the designated oysters were $1. That would have been fine except the most popular, Blue Point, were gone by my 7PM reservation. They did not offer their catch of the day because of oyster day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Temperature IssuesDiningDined on 8/3/2014We were a party of 6 dining on a Sun. at 2:30. Restaurant was not busy. They didn't start the dinner menu till 3:00 & since they were between menus the chef would allow us to order from the dinner menu. Both menus have the same items on them with dinner having just a few added things. A guy in our party ordered soup & had to send it back twice because it wasn't hot. You would think after the first time it would have come back piping hot but that was not the case it had to go back again. I ordered crab legs and they were cold as well. They were also served without any tools to eat them with and I had to ask for them. They did bring out another set of crab legs a few minutes later. Serve was just ok, average. Portions are small for the price.
- Always a pleasant meal!DianeDined on 8/2/2014If you are hungry for fish, Doc's is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for average fooddonna819Dined on 8/2/2014Spent 145.00 for some average eats for 2 people. Veggies were not cooked, carrots were hard and crunchy, lobster was overcooked, Steak very tiny. The shrimp was so stinky it smelled up the area outside! This is not a destination town but this restaurant charges "destination" prices. Our waiter Tyler was attentive and it was a beautiful night to eat out enjoying the bike race in west Chester. We should have just had drinks and pizza on the way home.Special Features:
- friendsMyrrDined on 8/2/2014we brought friends for the first time. They really enjoyed it. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twilight Criterium DayZingDined on 8/2/2014Every year, we dine there while the bike riders buzz by. Very Exciting! The lobster mac and cheese had meager bits of lobster so that was a dissapointment, but all else was Great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsPrebblesDined on 8/2/2014We had as usual, probably our 7th or 8th visit, a good experience. The wait staff was great, even moved us to a table in a less noisy area as we were complaining about the noise. Really, we have no complaints except for the noise level and we are in our late 70's so perhaps it has something to do with our ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeatersDined on 7/25/2014We had 4 in our party. All of us are in the food business and all had a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodFoxriverfishingDined on 7/15/2014Great lunch experience. I started with an appetizer of rare tuna, ginger & real wasabi paste. I followed that with 2 fish tacos consisting of large pieces of rare tuna with the trimmings including a wasabi dressing stuffed into a wheat tortilla. The combination was awesome and left me feeling very content. The waitress was very pleasant and kept checking on us for more of anything we needed and kept our coffee & iced tea with lemon coming throughout. I thought that the lunch was very reasonably priced for what we had. This was the second time I had been to the restaurant and no doubt will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinganonymousDined on 7/12/2014The service was very friendly, but slow. They ran out of wine glasses, they didn't have lobsters available, the didn't have a fish of the day. It's a seafood restaurant! I ordered a cedar grill combo with shrimp (overcooked), scallops (awesome) and salmon(awful). The salmon was tough and fishy. I did say something to the server, which I never do, but I was really disappointed. The manager took the meal off the check and offered to make a new meal, but gave us a gift certificate instead.
- A little disappointedmyexperienceVIPDined on 7/12/2014I was kind of disappointed as the Mahi Mahi was over cooked/ dry and was lacking flavor I was hoping for. Seasonal vegetables were good though. I heard the fish tacos were pretty good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doc Magrogan'sSushiJoeDined on 7/11/2014Very pleasant night to eat outside. (Inside noise level would have made conversation difficult) Oysters outstanding - great to have a variety of oysters and compare tastes. Main dish good but not up to the overall expectations of this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great downtown locationGmanDined on 7/10/2014This is a great place to go for a good beer list and some great food, nice location in town so you can walk around after your meal. The mussels in white sauce are awesome!Special Features:
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/9/2014My boss told me to try this place out and we are so happy we did. The service was wonderful, and the food was delicious. The soccer game was on, and you could hear it, but it was not so loud you couldn't carry on a conversation. My husband and son had the all you can eat snow crab legs special and loved it. I settled for a burger, which was really good too.Special Features:
- musicDined on 7/5/2014If you love raw oyster, and lobster they really do a great lobster bake.Special Features:
- Good food, friendly service.GregWestChesterPADined on 7/4/2014Nice meal. Good oysters, BLT mussels were good but many were very small. Lobster ravioli was a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Food was, as usual, very good, indeed. Joe, our waiter, seemed well-intentioned but not especially well-trained.Special Features:
- CubaDined on 7/3/2014Unfortunately a storm that disabled the kitchen. There was some sort of electrical faiirendiento the storm. Only had a chance to enjoy a glass of wine, a bowl of yummy clam chowder and a dinner salad!! So looking forward to some freah fish but mother nature had other plans.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014Friendly service and atmosphere. Good value for seafood. Pleasant atmosphere and prompt servcie. Staff seemed anxious to please and appreciated the business Would definitely plan to return when in the areaSpecial Features:
- Eh...nb17Dined on 6/29/2014I enjoyed the service and the seating outside, the food on the other hand was subpar. I enjoyed the Bloody Mary and the salad I ordered wasn't at all what I imagined nor had before at other establishments. The Seafood Cobb was not my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect seafood findShrimpisawsomeDined on 6/21/2014We had been given a gift certificate to this restaurant and being from delawre we have never been. Glad we did! The server we had didn't know much about the menu but that was the only bad things. The food was amazing. Go for the coconut shrimp appetizer you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doc Magrogan's Oyster HouseNonnaDined on 6/21/2014This was our first visit to the Oyster House in West Chester. The atmosphere and service were excellent and the food was very nice as well. Although they specialize in seafood, they did have a very nice vegetarian option as well some meat offerings. The prices were what you would expect for seafood. For the two of us with one glass of wine and one beer as well as tip ran us around 90.00. Not the kind of money you would spend every weekend, but ok occasionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumDatenight123Dined on 6/20/2014We loved our meal! Lobster roll appetizer was delicious and light. Men loved the oysters. Meal portions were good. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodSarahAnneDined on 6/17/2014Docs was pretty good...We had the calamari for the appetizer and it was super good and loved the aioli it came with. Had the fish tacos for dinner and they were good just wish it had a little more fish for the price and it was very dry. I don't like their cocktails, they are too sweet and have little alcohol for the price. Side Bar is a better pick for the same type of food and has better cocktails. Had my first experience with an oyster and liked it so I would go back for those.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- father's day fabMediaSavvyVIPDined on 6/15/2014Always love their oysters especially when they are free for father's day. Delicious surf and turf. Even my picky 14 year old enjoyed clamp chowder and skirt steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taking a break from Docs...OutAndAboutVIPDined on 6/15/2014Used to be a favorite spot. Not sure what is going on, but last couple of visits have not been great. Most recent visit has convinced us to go elsewhere for a while. We have noticed that prep-quality of the meals has been deteriorating, no exception this time. They made us wait almost an hour for our meal...and it was lukewarm when it arrived. No apologies for the delay or anything... just that they were busy. Too many other options in the area. Maybe a good spot for drink at the bar, but giving it a break for a while as a spot for dinner.
- Father's DayDadsDayDined on 6/15/2014My husband and sons started their day with an awesome meal on Father's Day at Docs. The freshness of their seafood always keeps us coming back!! (along with everything else!!)Special Features:
- brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014$$$$ for a small amount of food. No kids choices for breakfastSpecial Features:
- Good for night outnovawildcat89Dined on 6/13/2014Overall a good dinner. My husband and I tried Doc Magrogans for dinner and drink (night out without the kids). Staff were friendly and responsive. Food was good. Good overall place for a casual, relaxing evening outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FromDCVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food was great. The server, when we got seated was great. His name was Kevin. My issue was the rude blonde guy who checked you in. It took 20 minutes and we had a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good night with friendsWayneDined on 6/7/2014Apps were great. Beer sele Cation was good and entrees were good as well. Oysters,mussels,short rib,steak,salad, fish and chips and tacos. Sat outside. A little loud at times due to traffic but would and will do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/4/2014I have been dining and drinking at Doc's at least once a week, their sea food is always fresh and great. I always manage to have thie Oysters every time i visit Doc's. The bartenders are a joy to talk to.Special Features:
- Great Raw BarKim1106Dined on 5/31/2014The oysters were amazing! Loved the description of the types, sizes and locations on the oyster listing. They were fresh beyond belief. Would go back just for the oysters.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014There were 4 of us for dinner, of course we all had oysters, the waitress was very knowledgeable and helpful in making our selection, and they were incredibly delicious . We ordered seafood tacos, lobster ravioli, and shrimp/scallops rigatoni. Everyone enjoyed their meal, the portions were adequate and no need to take dogie bags home. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:
- Doc Mag'smjspausaDined on 5/30/2014We ate outside along the street because it was a very pleasant evening, so we had to deal with smokers and loud motorcycles, but that was our choice, - no fault of the restaurant. The food was excellent! The service was good, and I think the cost is reasonable.Special Features:
- DisappointedTinatooDined on 5/25/2014Even with a reservation we had to wait and our poor (very sweet) waiter had to aplogize for everything from waiting to be seated to waiting to get water, bread, appetizers, entrees.. He pretty much had to apologize the whole time. The lobster roll is mostly mayo on a hot dog bun and the clam chowder was sour.. all over priced too.