Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
117 East Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/
- Phone: 6104294046x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:45am - 10pm
Thursday & Friday: 11:45am-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Frew
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merrill 6104294046x
- Entertainment: Thursday Karaoke10pm-2am
Friday & Saturday DJ 10pm-2am
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is limited parking available on the surrounding streets, but there are private operated lots and a public parking garage available near the intersection of East Gay Street and Walnut. Also, there is a private lot operated directly behind Doc's in the back alley.
**NOW VALIDATING PARKING** We will validate up to 2 hours of parking at the Chestnut Street Garage (located less than a block away at the intersection of Walnut and Chestnut).
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
A West Chester institution is born! In the late 1800's and the 1900's, there were more than a dozen places to enjoy oysters in West Chester. As we developed our classic 1900's Oyster House, we strive to pay tribute & homage to the great tradition of enjoying little aphrodisiacs. We have spared no expense to create an Oyster House that transforms you back to a simpler time of food, fun & merriment in a local oyster house. At Doc's, our mission is to provide an exceptional seafood & raw bar experience for our guests & exceed their expectations for quality & service in a warm, vintage environment. It is our joy to serve you the freshest sustainable seafood, the finest handcrafted beers & a superior wine selection! We hope you enjoy our addition to beautiful downtown West Chester.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)great for outdoor dining (37)fit for foodies (27)vibrant bar scene (26)good for groups (24)hot spot (22)great for lunch (18)special occasion (13)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (7)romantic (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Lunch at Doc'sPennsydogDined on 10/12/2014A friend and I went to Doc Magrogan's for a celebratory lunch last Saturday (I don't remember what we were celebrating). We sat at the bar, absent-mindedly watched the Packers game, ate oysters and clams, and drank local beer. The service was perfect, as was the ambience and the food. Sheer delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster House reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Way over priced. Decent meal but at 200% of the cost it should beSpecial Features:
- JcatVIPDined on 10/1/2014First time to DMOH. Little bit of a mixed bag...service started out well, but as the restaurant filled up, it noticeably slowed. Oysters were very good. Coconut shrimp was weak. Fish entrees were good, however, fish tacos and fish& chips were underwhelming. Drinks were overpriced. Would I go back...maybe for the oysters.Special Features:
- Go to Doc's...JenAVIPDined on 9/29/2014Love Doc's - our 'go to' night out! Took a colleague from Houston - she loved the Lobster Bacon Tacos!Special Features:
- Great place and food!FoodGirl01VIPDined on 9/28/2014We had brunch outside on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and the service was excellent! The food was superb and we can't wait to go back and tell our friends who live in the area to frequent there as well. Love this place and highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sea food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Love the lobster bisque. Love the grilled swordfish also. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotMLK17VIPDined on 9/27/2014Love West Chester for all the great restaurants..this was one of them. Enjoyed the atmosphere and service. The whole party was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, Great Find!prickleypeteDined on 9/27/2014What a great place! Oysters were spot on fresh and abundant. Seafood was really nice, everything about the place was great. This will be a staple place to eat when we visit our kids at the University. Will definitely be back and back and back.Special Features:
- Average restaurant with high pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant has the potential to be a real gem. Problem is, the prices are way too high for what you get. For example, if you are going to charge $13 for the lobster Mac and cheese appetizer, put some lobster in eat. I was not happy when our order arrived with no lobster in it. Secondly, train you staff. If you offer higher end beer on your menu, learn how to properly serve it. I ordered a goose island Matilda. Not only did my server ask me if I wanted a glass, when I said yes, he brought me a dripping wet pint glass.... Big disappointment. Thirdly, if you characterize yourself as a seafood, and specifically oyster, restaurant, serve the seafood and oysters with the proper utensils for this type of food. In conclusion, it's overpriced.
- Terrible experienceMaDonnaDined on 9/21/2014Went for dinner on a Suinday evening and while I was aware there are football games on I was shocked that a bar with such high food prices would cater to a rude crowd. We made our reservation on Open Table to celebrate my daughters birthday. After an experience where we had to wait for 20 minutes to be seated as they claimed to have no tables available, more than half the tables were empty when we finally sat. Later that night or the following day, I received a stern email from the restaurant informing us that we did not show up for our reservation and how we could have behaved better by being more polite and calling ahead to cancel. How about when we arrived they apologized profusely for not having our table ready! Too loud to talk too!!!
- Mostly greatSteveOVIPDined on 9/13/2014My Korean skirt steak was excellent but my wife's shrimp was kind of bland. Lobster bisque was incredible but the crab cake egg roll was average - great service and selection of beersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High price, small portionsTheDateNighters824Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant has a great vibe and is really nice. However, the food portions are so tiny. For example, we paid 15 for two tacos that were bland. Wouldn't recommend if you're trying to leave with a full stomach or a full wallet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I used to go to docs years ago and it used to be awesome. Last night was aweful. Food had no taste and main dish was luke warm at best.Special Features:
- Food reviewamosanneDined on 9/10/2014My husband and two sons both got the all you can eat crab legs and liked them however I was very disappointed with my meal. The crab cake was extremely bland, dry and kind of tasteless. The crab and sauce on top of the chicken breast was not very good either. The chicken was good. I didn't like the choice of mixed vegetables however. I would have much preferred broccoli or green beans as a choice of vegetable.Special Features:
- pickypatronpickypatronVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great place for lunch in the heart of west chester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good experiences here until nowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Basically, the service was really bad this time around. Never got 2nd beer but was charged for it. One meal was prepared incorrectly and all we got was a puzzled look from waittreess when we asked about it. Plates were taken away with food on it and without asking if we were done. Check didn't have necessary paper to sign and it took a while to get the right one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutDined on 8/30/2014we had a great meal and a good time. the only problem was that we ordered shrimp, raw clams, oysters. It cost $65. and there were no shrimp. we had to wait til the end of our meal and take the shrimp home. disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, slow service, confused staffSadInWCVIPDined on 8/29/2014The good news is that the food was great. The bad news is that everything else was a problem. We have not had this problem before at Docs. It was not the waitress fault either. But problems for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Clam chowder was very bad. Thick almost a heavy gravy.Special Features:
- fun experiencediningnotesDined on 8/27/2014We had a group of 15 to 17 coming and going. The service did a good job of juggling the orders in those conditions. We were seated in the shack area outside and it was perfect for us - roomy, more casual, and not loud. Food was good overall, no disappointments or home runs. They were out of the group favorite, lobster ravioli, even though it was fairly early in the dinner hour. I liked how the restaurant called to confirm requests I made when placing the reservation.Special Features:
- PickypeteDined on 8/23/2014Very noisy. Conversation difficult. You don't want to be seated at the Dock unless you want to sit at a wooden picnic table on a backless bench. We did not accept that table and sat inside. Expensive considering what we ordered. Maybe just drinks and bar food is a better deal. Not impressed......but ok.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014wonderful atmosphere, delicious food - we brought friend who had never been here -they loved it and will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Crabs, so so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2014Went to Docs for all you can eat crabs. Have been there many times before. We were seated immediately, and served our drinks immediately, then we waited, and waited... it was all you can eat crabs, they should have been ready. Maybe it was just a really slow waitress. Anyway, the food was great as usual, the service was just painfully slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CrabsNumber1crabsDined on 8/20/2014The crabs here are the best around. I've been here three Weds and everytime excellent. Last visit was told its year round. Made my night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Bake Feast!CottonballDined on 8/17/2014While I've dined at Doc's multiple times over the years, my most recent visit was a birthday celebration. I indulged in the Lobster Bake special and ate like a king. The lobster was perfect, as were the buffet selections (shrimp, mussels, corn, potatoes, etc.). The beer samples were exceedingly generous and the selection was quite good. I left stuffed and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never go on a Saturday!roadwarriorVIPDined on 8/16/2014For us, the evening started out as expected - ordered cocktails and appetizers which arrived in a timely manner. Our entrees, were another story - we waited over 45 minutes for them - the manager and server apologized profusely. Once we finally did receive our entrees, they were mediocre at best. We were not charged for them - the manager did a nice job of "service recovery", but I don't believe we'll venture there on a weekend again.
- Nice for Eating OutdoorsVegetarianFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014Went here for the 1st time ever on a Froday evening. The staff and servers were warm and friendly. The seafood menu was varied and the prep and presentation were good. We sat on the wide patio-sidewalk in front, along W. Chester's main street, so the traffic noise was somewhat loud at times, but the weather was quite nice that evening, so the overall experience was pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour Here!DininspiderDined on 8/8/2014Great drink prices and varied selection of appetizers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buck-a-Shuck Half-Way DealTheredwinerVIPDined on 8/5/2014Belonging to the VIP club, I received an e-mail notifying me of National Oyster Day. Doc Magrogan's would be offering $1 (Buck-a-shuck) oysters all day long, instead of just during their normal happy hour. This was a draw. They also offered 4 different steamer pots, North, South, East and West, with varying combos of lobster, crab, shrimp, oysters, clams & regional seasonings and sauces for $25 each. That was a great deal if you didn't plan on taking full advantage of the $! deal. In the ad, they stated 15 varieties of oysters, however, only the designated oysters were $1. That would have been fine except the most popular, Blue Point, were gone by my 7PM reservation. They did not offer their catch of the day because of oyster day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Temperature IssuesDiningDined on 8/3/2014We were a party of 6 dining on a Sun. at 2:30. Restaurant was not busy. They didn't start the dinner menu till 3:00 & since they were between menus the chef would allow us to order from the dinner menu. Both menus have the same items on them with dinner having just a few added things. A guy in our party ordered soup & had to send it back twice because it wasn't hot. You would think after the first time it would have come back piping hot but that was not the case it had to go back again. I ordered crab legs and they were cold as well. They were also served without any tools to eat them with and I had to ask for them. They did bring out another set of crab legs a few minutes later. Serve was just ok, average. Portions are small for the price.
- Always a pleasant meal!DianeVIPDined on 8/2/2014If you are hungry for fish, Doc's is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for average fooddonna819Dined on 8/2/2014Spent 145.00 for some average eats for 2 people. Veggies were not cooked, carrots were hard and crunchy, lobster was overcooked, Steak very tiny. The shrimp was so stinky it smelled up the area outside! This is not a destination town but this restaurant charges "destination" prices. Our waiter Tyler was attentive and it was a beautiful night to eat out enjoying the bike race in west Chester. We should have just had drinks and pizza on the way home.Special Features:
- friendsMyrrDined on 8/2/2014we brought friends for the first time. They really enjoyed it. Everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twilight Criterium DayZingDined on 8/2/2014Every year, we dine there while the bike riders buzz by. Very Exciting! The lobster mac and cheese had meager bits of lobster so that was a dissapointment, but all else was Great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsPrebblesDined on 8/2/2014We had as usual, probably our 7th or 8th visit, a good experience. The wait staff was great, even moved us to a table in a less noisy area as we were complaining about the noise. Really, we have no complaints except for the noise level and we are in our late 70's so perhaps it has something to do with our ages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeatersDined on 7/25/2014We had 4 in our party. All of us are in the food business and all had a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodFoxriverfishingDined on 7/15/2014Great lunch experience. I started with an appetizer of rare tuna, ginger & real wasabi paste. I followed that with 2 fish tacos consisting of large pieces of rare tuna with the trimmings including a wasabi dressing stuffed into a wheat tortilla. The combination was awesome and left me feeling very content. The waitress was very pleasant and kept checking on us for more of anything we needed and kept our coffee & iced tea with lemon coming throughout. I thought that the lunch was very reasonably priced for what we had. This was the second time I had been to the restaurant and no doubt will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointinganonymousDined on 7/12/2014The service was very friendly, but slow. They ran out of wine glasses, they didn't have lobsters available, the didn't have a fish of the day. It's a seafood restaurant! I ordered a cedar grill combo with shrimp (overcooked), scallops (awesome) and salmon(awful). The salmon was tough and fishy. I did say something to the server, which I never do, but I was really disappointed. The manager took the meal off the check and offered to make a new meal, but gave us a gift certificate instead.
- A little disappointedmyexperienceVIPDined on 7/12/2014I was kind of disappointed as the Mahi Mahi was over cooked/ dry and was lacking flavor I was hoping for. Seasonal vegetables were good though. I heard the fish tacos were pretty good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doc Magrogan'sSushiJoeDined on 7/11/2014Very pleasant night to eat outside. (Inside noise level would have made conversation difficult) Oysters outstanding - great to have a variety of oysters and compare tastes. Main dish good but not up to the overall expectations of this restaurant.Special Features: