Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
117 East Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/
- Phone: (610) 429-4046
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:45am - 10pm
Thursday & Friday: 11:45am-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Frew
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call or email for details
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merrill 6104294046x
- Entertainment: Thursday Karaoke10pm-2am
Friday & Saturday DJ 10pm-2am
- Cross Street: Walnut
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is limited parking available on the surrounding streets, but there are private operated lots and a public parking garage available near the intersection of East Gay Street and Walnut. Also, there is a private lot operated directly behind Doc's in the back alley.
**NOW VALIDATING PARKING** We will validate up to 2 hours of parking at the Chestnut Street Garage (located less than a block away at the intersection of Walnut and Chestnut).
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester
A West Chester institution is born! In the late 1800's and the 1900's, there were more than a dozen places to enjoy oysters in West Chester. As we developed our classic 1900's Oyster House, we strive to pay tribute & homage to the great tradition of enjoying little aphrodisiacs. We have spared no expense to create an Oyster House that transforms you back to a simpler time of food, fun & merriment in a local oyster house. At Doc's, our mission is to provide an exceptional seafood & raw bar experience for our guests & exceed their expectations for quality & service in a warm, vintage environment. It is our joy to serve you the freshest sustainable seafood, the finest handcrafted beers & a superior wine selection! We hope you enjoy our addition to beautiful downtown West Chester.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (36)vibrant bar scene (33)great for outdoor dining (30)hot spot (30)special occasion (18)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (10)late-night find (8)romantic (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- We're regularschrispyVIPDined on 11/22/2014We've been to Magrogans many times before and really like it. I'm reviewing it again because we were there for "lobster month" for the first time. It was well worth it. They have many lobster dishes on their regular menu and some were discounted for this month. In addition, they had 1,2&3 lb. whole lobsters. I wish they would have at least cracked the claws but that's a minor point, especially considering the price. Can't wait for next November. Hope they continue the tradition.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1/2 Price lobster night-what could be better?lobsterDined on 11/18/2014Wait staff very helpful and friendly. Food and drinks were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday Lunch!VmomDined on 11/15/2014Had a lovely girls lunch including the spicy calamari, drinks and yummy sandwiches. The variety and brunch menu is great. They were out of an ingredient for a drink we wanted but otherwise we were happy with everything. Atmosphere is a little too dark but not a deal breaker. I'd definitely go back for my next seafood fix!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun time!Becky728Dined on 11/14/2014We went here upon a recommendation of a friend who lives in West Chester and like oysters. We were a group of four and we all got different entrees and everyone throughly enjoyed what they had. The oysters were very fresh! Not too noisy there either, which was a plus for a Friday night at prime time dining - although the place wasn't super crowded. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Grateful Korean War VeteranPattyDined on 11/11/2014Took my 83 year old Veteran husband to dinner. He enjoyed scallops and the bonus lobster tail and a pint of Guiness given to veterans. Nice treat. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dudelebowskidudelebowskiDined on 11/8/2014Everything was great except I made a reservation but had to wait for a table when we arrived at the time of the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestDaveyBoDined on 11/8/2014Absolutely the best Lobster Tail I have ever eaten. The steak was fantastic too. Cannot say enough good things about our overall experience. I'll be back!!Special Features:
- Needs Attention to DetailsTheredwinerVIPDined on 11/7/2014We are regulars at Doc's. While accommodating, our wait staff of 2 missed a number of things. We had to ask for salt & pepper. The side of ice requested for my wife's wine required a second reminder. I asked for hot pepper seeds for the pasta and it was never brought. The waiter spilled the cream on the floor when he brought the coffee and never cleaned it ip. Had to walk over it when leaving.The food was good - choppino, Tilapia, Crab Cakes and Mahdi all good. Maryland Crab Soup and Oysters were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just FairhowardpoVIPDined on 11/7/2014The crab cakes were generic and two in our party sent the food back. The sauce on the octopus was terrible and the grilled seafood was way over salted. The servers were inattentive. Very disappointing. We won't return.
- Great Find!YankeesDined on 11/6/2014Very knowledgeable staff. Matt was fabulous! Great cocktails and food. General Manager made it a point to stop by our table.Special Features:
- Second time aroundMrsdreaDined on 11/5/2014Found out about this place from a friend webon monday for buck a shuck night. Not too crowded. Came right in and got a table no wait. Waiter was JASON he was super nice and attentive. Started off with some beers and little neck steamers which were amazing! So amazing that I ordered a second bowl. Bourbon peach tea was soooo good. Loved it so much we came back on Wednesday for all you can eat crabs! For starters $22 for AYCE? That in itself is a reason to always return. Crabs were delish. Never has to ask for a new order. As soon as mine got low ALEC our waiter brought out new ones. It was his first day (we could tell he seemed a little nervous) but he made no mistakes and was brought everything out to the table exactly how we ordered it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014The best all you can eat crab legs. Casual atmosphere. Nice bar. Friendly people.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as usualGaryDined on 11/1/2014As usual the food and service was very good... We talked to the manager James about setting up our rehearsal dinner there in May. James was very friendly and made sure we knew that they would do anything for us to make it a great night.Special Features:
- Great fish selection in a small townvalentinoDined on 10/31/2014I went to Magrogan's with my daughter and girlfriend for lunch. It was a bit pricey, but the food was excellent. I had 3 different kinds of oysters (out of more than half a dozen) on the half shell - good oysters but about $3 each. The crab cake sandwich was very good as were the salmon sandwich (girlfriend) and asian chicken salad (daughter). I also had an excellent local draft beer. For bar food, it's great. We were in a hurry and the service was excellent and extra fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The staff was very accommodating to all of our needs. They were very helpful. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Monday Nights...JenAVIPDined on 10/27/2014Buck a Shuck Oysters! What a deal! and the NE Clam Chowder is delicious. Had a great waiter - so nice. Highly recommend Doc's!Special Features:
- Probably my last time for brunchMariaVIPDined on 10/26/2014I've been to this restaurant several times before and always had a wonderful meal. The all-you-can-eat crab night is fantastic as is everything else I've tried on the menu. this time was my first time for brunch. I made a reservation although it was not necessary since it was not busy at all. Drinks came quickly once we were waited on. Once we ordered it took a very long time for our food. Breakfast is typically very quick especially since there was only four other tables of people. My main food was good. However the overall experience left us very flat. I asked for a piece of toast which I think should be a standard accompaniment to any egg plate and they charged me $2 for that. Most restaurants will just give you a piece of toast.Special Features:
- Great service, mediocre goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Elliot was not only our bartender but also our waiter once our table of seven sat for food. We shared apps. Seared tuna, my fav menu choice, was bland. Lobster bisque was cold, not warm ish, cold. Lobster spring roll was okay. Steamed clams, not steamed. Couldn't open most of them. The fish tacos, on the other hand, we're perfect. Really good. We ordered at least 8 appetizers. Overall, so so. But our server was polite, efficient ant corrected any issues we had with the food. He also managed to keep all of our glasses full and all of the ladies pleased by his humor and tolerance (being that is was the beginning of a bachelorette party.) The food? Eh. The service? Polite and professional. For that I would give the menu another chance.Special Features:
- Lunch at Doc'sPennsydogDined on 10/12/2014A friend and I went to Doc Magrogan's for a celebratory lunch last Saturday (I don't remember what we were celebrating). We sat at the bar, absent-mindedly watched the Packers game, ate oysters and clams, and drank local beer. The service was perfect, as was the ambience and the food. Sheer delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster House reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Way over priced. Decent meal but at 200% of the cost it should beSpecial Features:
- JcatVIPDined on 10/1/2014First time to DMOH. Little bit of a mixed bag...service started out well, but as the restaurant filled up, it noticeably slowed. Oysters were very good. Coconut shrimp was weak. Fish entrees were good, however, fish tacos and fish& chips were underwhelming. Drinks were overpriced. Would I go back...maybe for the oysters.Special Features:
- Go to Doc's...JenAVIPDined on 9/29/2014Love Doc's - our 'go to' night out! Took a colleague from Houston - she loved the Lobster Bacon Tacos!Special Features:
- Great place and food!FoodGirl01VIPDined on 9/28/2014We had brunch outside on a beautiful Sunday afternoon and the service was excellent! The food was superb and we can't wait to go back and tell our friends who live in the area to frequent there as well. Love this place and highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sea food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Love the lobster bisque. Love the grilled swordfish also. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotMLK17VIPDined on 9/27/2014Love West Chester for all the great restaurants..this was one of them. Enjoyed the atmosphere and service. The whole party was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow, Great Find!prickleypeteDined on 9/27/2014What a great place! Oysters were spot on fresh and abundant. Seafood was really nice, everything about the place was great. This will be a staple place to eat when we visit our kids at the University. Will definitely be back and back and back.Special Features:
- Average restaurant with high pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/25/2014This restaurant has the potential to be a real gem. Problem is, the prices are way too high for what you get. For example, if you are going to charge $13 for the lobster Mac and cheese appetizer, put some lobster in eat. I was not happy when our order arrived with no lobster in it. Secondly, train you staff. If you offer higher end beer on your menu, learn how to properly serve it. I ordered a goose island Matilda. Not only did my server ask me if I wanted a glass, when I said yes, he brought me a dripping wet pint glass.... Big disappointment. Thirdly, if you characterize yourself as a seafood, and specifically oyster, restaurant, serve the seafood and oysters with the proper utensils for this type of food. In conclusion, it's overpriced.
- Terrible experienceMaDonnaDined on 9/21/2014Went for dinner on a Suinday evening and while I was aware there are football games on I was shocked that a bar with such high food prices would cater to a rude crowd. We made our reservation on Open Table to celebrate my daughters birthday. After an experience where we had to wait for 20 minutes to be seated as they claimed to have no tables available, more than half the tables were empty when we finally sat. Later that night or the following day, I received a stern email from the restaurant informing us that we did not show up for our reservation and how we could have behaved better by being more polite and calling ahead to cancel. How about when we arrived they apologized profusely for not having our table ready! Too loud to talk too!!!
- Mostly greatSteveOVIPDined on 9/13/2014My Korean skirt steak was excellent but my wife's shrimp was kind of bland. Lobster bisque was incredible but the crab cake egg roll was average - great service and selection of beersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High price, small portionsTheDateNighters824Dined on 9/13/2014The restaurant has a great vibe and is really nice. However, the food portions are so tiny. For example, we paid 15 for two tacos that were bland. Wouldn't recommend if you're trying to leave with a full stomach or a full wallet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I used to go to docs years ago and it used to be awesome. Last night was aweful. Food had no taste and main dish was luke warm at best.Special Features:
- Food reviewamosanneDined on 9/10/2014My husband and two sons both got the all you can eat crab legs and liked them however I was very disappointed with my meal. The crab cake was extremely bland, dry and kind of tasteless. The crab and sauce on top of the chicken breast was not very good either. The chicken was good. I didn't like the choice of mixed vegetables however. I would have much preferred broccoli or green beans as a choice of vegetable.Special Features:
- pickypatronpickypatronVIPDined on 9/8/2014Great place for lunch in the heart of west chester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All good experiences here until nowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014Basically, the service was really bad this time around. Never got 2nd beer but was charged for it. One meal was prepared incorrectly and all we got was a puzzled look from waittreess when we asked about it. Plates were taken away with food on it and without asking if we were done. Check didn't have necessary paper to sign and it took a while to get the right one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutDined on 8/30/2014we had a great meal and a good time. the only problem was that we ordered shrimp, raw clams, oysters. It cost $65. and there were no shrimp. we had to wait til the end of our meal and take the shrimp home. disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, slow service, confused staffSadInWCVIPDined on 8/29/2014The good news is that the food was great. The bad news is that everything else was a problem. We have not had this problem before at Docs. It was not the waitress fault either. But problems for sure.Special Features:
- EatoutVIPDined on 8/29/2014Clam chowder was very bad. Thick almost a heavy gravy.Special Features:
- fun experiencediningnotesDined on 8/27/2014We had a group of 15 to 17 coming and going. The service did a good job of juggling the orders in those conditions. We were seated in the shack area outside and it was perfect for us - roomy, more casual, and not loud. Food was good overall, no disappointments or home runs. They were out of the group favorite, lobster ravioli, even though it was fairly early in the dinner hour. I liked how the restaurant called to confirm requests I made when placing the reservation.Special Features:
- PickypeteDined on 8/23/2014Very noisy. Conversation difficult. You don't want to be seated at the Dock unless you want to sit at a wooden picnic table on a backless bench. We did not accept that table and sat inside. Expensive considering what we ordered. Maybe just drinks and bar food is a better deal. Not impressed......but ok.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014wonderful atmosphere, delicious food - we brought friend who had never been here -they loved it and will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.