Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: 2153823474x
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since April 2 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (39)great for lunch (39)special occasion (30)great for outdoor dining (29)fit for foodies (28)romantic (21)great for brunch (19)vibrant bar scene (15)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (10)hot spot (8)scenic view (5)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Not a bad choice near PennOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Arrived for a happy hour dinner. That made the prices good, but the $1 oysters were rather small. The rest of the food was OK. But the location is good, and the outside portion out back is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner in vibrant college areaGlennDined on 7/24/2014Nice seafood dinner with good service..plenty of expensive and reasonable selections. Oysters just ok with 2 out of 10 worthless, when shucked shouldn't those 2 be sent back? Most entres and appetizers good 2 dinners out of 5 were very good.Special Features:
- Fire disasterCookOf10yearsDined on 7/23/2014Fire alarm went off just before appetizers came on the table.. Rang for a solid 5 minutes and the staff didn't tell anyone what to do. They just brought the food to the table like it was normal and never asked if we were ok or if we wanted to move outside... Then the steak was over cooked.. Medium was a full well.. I believe the kitchen staff exited the building while all the patrons sat and waited... Had all the possibility of a nice night but ruined because of the panicked staff and ear piercing alarmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014I dined here for UC dining days and was pleasantly surprised by the huge space inside, the extensive seafood (and non seafood) menu. Every staff member we encountered was warm, gracious, and helpful. The food was delicious. I ate the strawberry, goat cheese salad. Then the steak, and an apple crisp for dessert. Everything was perfect. My friend had the shrimp and crab risotto for her entree and the keylime pie for dessert and she also raved about her meal. We both can't wait to come bAck. There was so much more on the menu I want to try.Special Features:
- My first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014This was my first time here, even though I have lived in University City for the past 5 years. I only came now because it was UC Dining Days. So I did the 3 course meals thing for $25. Food was really good as I am a big fan of seafood. Our waitress was nice. Over all, I enjoyed coming here. I just don't know if I would come here normally as it's a tad expensive for me personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their finist hourCathyVIPDined on 7/19/2014"We weren't prepared for Dining Days" - Docs Manager when we complained that the server was totally in the weeds and our food was not good. Now I was unaware it was University City dining days as no one told us nor gave us a dining days menu. Had to ask for rolls after waiting a while for food. They arrived w most of the entrees - burned but she flipped them over so we might not notice. My entree arrived 10 minutes after the rest of the tables only after I asked for it.I was better off w/out it- 6 shrimp , 2 were not edible. The manager did take off my entree and 1 glass of wine due to "food and server issues". SHould have been blamed on the manager for not scheduling staff during Dining Days.
- What an Awesome PlaceEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/19/2014We ate there twice during our week-long stay in Philadelphia. fantastic menu, attentive staff, great food. the second dinner outside taking advantage of the pre-fix menu was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedlynneDined on 7/17/2014We found this during restaurant week. The food was very good and the prices very resonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014restaurant was out of many things that we wanted to order and it didn't make sense why it would have something but not another. out of the Lobster Rolls but not the Lobster Summer Rolls. Out of the california roll but not the shrimp tempura roll - when asked, waiter said they didn't have all the ingredients or staff to make the california roll. But they had the staff to make a shrimp tempura roll? Lobster Mac & cheese came out lukewarm. Entree of wood-fired seafood was bland.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I came here for brunch and everything was wonderful! We had the blueberry crunch pancakes and the breakfast sandwich with the fried green tomatoes, delish! We even sat at the bar after and had some cocktails and oysters and they were amazing! Wonderful little spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic!!gr8foodVIPDined on 7/11/2014My boyfriend and I went in for the first time; the bar was packed which is always a good sign. We sat at a table outside and it was beautiful! The food came out quickly and was delicious. We had the lobster mac and cheese bites and seafood combo. Stefan was our server and he was super sweet. The manager came over which was above and beyond. This place rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersHughbeedoobeeDined on 7/5/2014We received an email from Doc's showing July 4th weekend specials. One of the specials on Saturday, July 5, was $1 oysters. When we arrived neither the waitress nor the manager knew anything about the special. They 'had to check.' There was no problem after that. However, I find it interesting that this location was not informed of the special. Corporate....someone didn't do their job....... Otherwise, hubby was very happy with the selection of oysters and my meal was very good.Special Features:
- Always greatOysterschuckerDined on 7/4/2014Freshest seafood, oyster menu like no other, consistent. What else could you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014My boyfriend and I went here for lunch and had a wonderful time. The food was great, and our server Erika was fantastic. We ordered a bunch of things to share, including the lobster mac and cheese and calamari. Both were great. The crab arancini was also very good. Our server Erika was very friendly and knowledgeable, and made our experience even better. We will definitely be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1$ oysters but overall not worth itfrancesDined on 6/30/2014We only went for the 1$ oysters, which are so worth it. we had a few of the other 5$ appetizers: don't get the fried risotto balls. the tater tots and wings were fine. We went during happy hour, and the house wine was disgusting. Got one of their "fishbowls" [margarita] for 20$, which was supposed to be a ton of liquor but it was meh. Overall meh: but on mondays: buck a shuck oysters is delicious.
- DisappointingDanaDined on 6/29/2014The food was nothing special. I had the fried oyster platter. The portions were generous but tasteless. The service was terrible. Although we ordered the wine first, we finished our appetizers (the lobster rolls were the best part of the meal) before the server brought our bottle our wine. She claimed they were "looking for it." It is too bad the restaurant is so bad because the venue which once housed La Terrasse is lovely. I will not go back.
- PoppyDined on 6/29/2014We had a great time. The food & service were all you could ask for.Special Features:
- Great bartender and bar selectionKarenDined on 6/26/2014Good selection and tastes for happy hour...but could be a bit more lenient with the wine pour for the price. Bartenders very personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprisingly deliciousDrmissannVIPDined on 6/18/2014I meant to book our table @ Sansom Street Oyster House but goofed. The four all thought it was a great mistake. The food was good. The only problem was that our booth in the back room became so hot by the end of the meal (no A/C? no fan?) that we had to get into the main room/bar to wait for check because we literally felt we were going to pass out.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2014I was super excited to go to docs oyster house and honestly it was a big disappointment. We had horrible, slow service and the food was just mediocre. Oysters were delish but that's about all they get bonus points for !
- A Hit..4greatfoodDined on 6/15/2014Fantastic time with girlfriends. Great ambiance and food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice service, good foodLarInPhillyDined on 6/14/2014We booked Doc's because of the outdoor terrace on a beautiful June Saturday night and weren't disappointed. The servers were very pleasant and quite nice. The wine (first glass) was ok and the second was good (a Washington Riesling). The appetizer was tasteless and quite fried - we sent it back and were credited it. The seafood cobb salad was good. The BLT tacos were good. Best part was the off the street terrace for outdoor dining.Special Features:
- DisappointingUSSkyWalkerVIPDined on 6/12/2014The quality of the oysters is poor including the level of service. The noise level will leave you exhausted. Don't bother! Find another oyster house!
- Love the OystersWeekdayLunchersDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I try to get here every month or two. We split a dozen oysters and a seafood cobb salad. The oyster selection varies, and they are always very good. We choose six different varieties and compare them. Always a romantic treat.Special Features:
- Not so greatBelindatuckerDined on 6/10/2014Food was not good at all. I suspected that some of the mussels and clams in my Cioppino were not the freshest. Some mussels shells were cracked and broken. The broth of the Cioppino was tasteless - no seasoning at all. The portion of linguine was very small. Overall disappointed. Will not go back.
- Great seafood in University CityJM37Dined on 6/1/2014We had a great meal to celebrate a graduation at Doc Magrogan's Oyster House. The food was outstanding. Great fresh seafood including appetizers that were amazing. The Lobster Spring Rolls and Lobster Mac and Cheese were both super. Entrees were fresh, hot and attractive to the eye. Taste was outstanding. Service was pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTEDLuv2eatVIPDined on 5/29/2014I brought three customers to have lunch and I must say it was disappointing. A large table was seated next to us after we were seated and they were served before us. One person's turkey BLT was cold and the fries cold, they have Mahi Mahi tacos listed on two menus and although they are presented on the menu differently, they were the same. The reason two of us ordered the "califormia" style and the cajun was to split them...the wait staff is clueless about how to handle issues. The sandwich and fries should have been taken off the menu or they should have at least offered coffee/dessert. Philly has a lot of great restaurants, if they don't improve their business skills and food service I will not be back.Special Features:
- Great location on UPenn campusTampaDined on 5/17/2014Great place to go when visiting UPenn. Went there to celebrate graduation . Good was great ... Except the lobster spring rooolls, very little if any lobster but full of greens. The lobster Mac & cheese delic. Sweet potato crab hash... Yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Great venue for a memorable graduation celebration. Excellent food and service. Perfect dinner for our group!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Tuesday !NewZagats2VIPDined on 5/13/2014Amazing lobster for only $14 a pound get a 1 pound lobster and it comes with cord add potatoes get the white clam chowder soup but skip the lobster macaroni and cheese it has tomatoes in it, and NO lobster!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quiet no customersInnovativeDined on 5/11/2014This well located restaurant near the univ of Pennsylvania was without customers at 8:15, we had the back deck to ourselves. The waiter who was friendly did not listen to any of our requests and then very rapidly put appetizer, salad and main course down at the same time. We sent back the salad and main to have it presented after the appetizer. He walk away and with a minute was putting the other courses on the table. With slowly eating, we were rushed out of the restaurant by 9. There were 2 or 3 tables inside eating. A very poor dinning experience. The absence of customers should have told us something.
- Mother's Day lunchReese22Dined on 5/11/2014Made reservations to have lunch here with my daughter for Mother's Day. The dip for the calamari tasted like mayonnaise. The salmon was dry and it was luke warm. The dessert was the only thing that was great but don't ask for two of the same because you won't get it. Sorry but I would not recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeMrsHolland1Dined on 5/10/2014It was my Anniversary, I had a group of 10 we had a blast. Service was great. Drinks were slow getting to us and they were watered down. The food wasn't good, but the atmosphere was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Re-train staffRebootDined on 5/10/2014Slow, sloppy service when the house was less than half full. Sansom Street Oyster House is a must better choice, especially for fresh oysters.
- Best In CityPhillyguyVIPDined on 5/10/2014Best oysters and seafood I've had in city. I eat out 3x a week all over city and the staff and food were fantastic. Todd did I great job serving us and the managers stopped by out table and checked on everyone. Great job all aroundSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood restaurantPSfoodieDined on 5/9/2014This place is my new favorite spot when on Penn's campus. The waiter was extremely knowledgable about the Oysters and the wine - both were fantastic. All the food was excellent - oysters, steamers, Mahi Mahi, and the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food At College Hot SpotPonderingPatDined on 5/4/2014Fantastic food, fresh succulent oysters, terrific presentation, to die for lobster bisque. We were there the evening of an all day Oysterfest attended by truckloads of college kids so it was a very loud party crowd. We will go again at a less hectic time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early dinnerBigCheezDined on 5/2/2014I went to Doc Magrogan's for an early dinner with my family and we had a wonderful time. The food was delicious and the decorations gave the restaurant a charming ambience. I only wish that their fishbowls could be ordered around 5pm!
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/29/2014I was in Philadelphia on business and thought I would meet my niece for lunch and we both love seafood, so I found this place. It was a nice surprise, located in the Penn/ Drexel area, it was easy to find. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was good and atmosphere was nice.Special Features:
- Great place with great food!Foodie4Life35Dined on 4/20/2014I've eaten at this restaurant a few times and they never disappoint! I strongly suggest the fried calamari, grilled seafood cobb salad, & the lobster mac n cheese! Fresh food, fast service, & friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.