Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: (215) 382-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
- 12 oysters #1/ea and 1/2 price 2# lobster TERRIFICmediafoodieVIPDined on 11/24/2014For our second visit during half price lobster "month and more" we and friends had a great time and delicious dinner. Buck a Shuck is all day Monday and we started with a dozen. The 2 pound lobster was at least 2 pounds and the lobster rolls (one preferred the mayonnaise version, the other found the drawn butter one a favorite). Our second visit during half price lobster month and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh.ParagonVIPDined on 11/22/2014Great service, friendly waiter and hostess. The atmosphere of the restaurant was both inviting and warm. However, the food was not even average and a little too overpriced for the quality of it. The drinks were weak and a little bit underwhelming. The $17 old fashioned was an embarrassment for the bartender.
- Great foodSimoneTDined on 11/22/2014It nice that you can get something really simple, like a boiled lobster dinner, or something more complex like Thai BBQ flank steak. The rolls were heavenly, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Valley Boy's Band nightjoejacsDined on 11/15/2014Restaurant honored our request to sit near the band. First time here. Atmosphere was warm, inviting, and cozy. It became very snug when the complete "fan club" showed up for the performance. Food was excellent (imperial seafood grille special) Our waiter service was only fair. Felt like he'd rather be elsewhere than waiting on us. He seemed unaware or didn't care how he presented. I would enjoy returning for the atmosphere, and food.....but hope he has the night off!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute Place For a DateTancredDined on 11/6/2014Went on a date with my boyfriend here and it was really cute. The waiter was nice and the food was good --- got my boyfriend into calamari and creamy soup. They have a bar area and a dining type of area. A party was going on at the bar area but the noise didn't travel through very much to the other room so that was nice.Special Features:
- OystersRebootDined on 11/1/2014The oysters were good, not great. Since this an "Oyster House", the oysters should be winners. Not quite. Service was good until our waiter forgot all about us :(
- solidscribdafoodieDined on 10/25/2014Had a reservation on a busy weekend and was seated almost immediately upon arrival. The server was a nice, young lady who really knew her stuff. The oyster selection was impressive and more varied than any I've seen outside of NYC. Food came out quickly and just as we ordered it. Nice selection of local drafts and a good number of bourbons for a seafood house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Doc Magrogan'sGlennDined on 10/25/2014Went on a Saturday night and sat outside. Service was great. We shared Calamari appetizer, which was an A-, main course of scallops, which were a solid A. I would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- ShareVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great ambiance. We ordered crispy fresh calamari which was very very chewy. The Oysters on the half shell, Smoked Salmon Eggs Halifax, and Crab Cake & Egg Oscar were tasty. Service was good.Special Features:
- Great Seafood!PhillyKidDined on 10/19/2014I love Doc Magrogan's! My friends and I have met up for their Sunday night special (all-you-can-eat crab legs) on multiple occasions and have never been let down. Magrogran's also has a good selection of entrees to choose from as well as a delicious raw oyster bar. I would (and have) recommend(ed) this restaurant to a number of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of wine....4restaurantweekDined on 10/16/2014We tried to order a couple of bottles of wine, they were out of both, however their recommended alternatives were good. Food was pretty good, overall a nice experienceSpecial Features:
- TerrificRoyaltyDined on 10/15/2014The grilled combo is absolutely amazing. The salmon was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok. But, where's the seafood?lcout4dinnerDined on 10/11/2014Made a reservation for the wife an I, for our anniversary. We were excited for the large seafood menu, since my wife and I don't eat most meat. We ordered oysters, lobster mac n' cheese, pumpkin & crab risotto, and a lobster roll. The oysters were excellent; however neither the lobster mac n' cheese, nor the pumpkin risotto had a trace of seafood in them. My wife's lobster roll was ok; however I felt like the "lobster" was either really shrimp or was mixed with shrimp, since I have had authentic New England lobster roll and it tasted very different. We aren't the type of diners to send food back, but if I had thought my bill would have come to $200, I would have thought twice. I might go back for buck-a-shuck night, but never for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnHard2PleaseDined on 10/11/2014Selected for seafood lunch with special young relative; wanting to be near downtown and universities. Met our high expectations. Excellent selection of raw oysters - delicious. Soups and salads were also nicely presented and delicious. Will return to sample more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yevtuhovDined on 10/10/2014Place was nice, however noisy. Our waitress was Erika. Food was yummy and was brought quickly. But the reason why I scored it with 1 star is what they do with CREDIT CARD SECURITY! When it was time to pay bills by credit card Erika didn't bring card machine to charge the card, but instead she took my card with her and walked away. I had to follow her to observe what she was doing with my card. She swiped it through scanner located on the side of cashier machine display. Why do they do that? Don't they realize either only Erika does so, it's much better for their customers in terms of security, safety and subsequent visits to use mobile credit card charging machine?!Special Features:
- Favorite Philly Seafood SpotDinemasterDined on 10/3/2014My colleague and I had a project to celebrate so we came to Doc Magrogan's for a seafood treat and head fried oysters and calamari, grilled combos and dessert. Good bloody Mary's and martinis. And coffee. The server staff is super friendly and helpful. This is a great place to treat yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!AmazingDined on 9/27/2014We stumbled upon this amazing restaurant as we strolled down Sansom Street. They have a terrific selection of food and drinks. The atmosphere was calm and delightful. No one was rushing us to leave! Stop by and enjoy this neighborhood gem if you are in University City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulmikejess1011Dined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, and service was great. We where a group of 4 and all of us loved our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent lunch menuMishaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Doc's has revamped their lunch menu and it is great! There are good choices ranging in size and price, and the salmon sandwich is delicious.Special Features:
- Everything was perfectgr8foodVIPDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend took me there for dinner because he loves oysters. Our server Bryce was extremely helpful with deciding which to go with. Boyfriend said they were the freshest oysters he's ever had and didn't realize there were so many different kinds! We shared a bottle of sauv blanc from New Zealand which was so unique and delicious. We shared crab cakes and their new scallop dishes and neither of us wanted to swap back because both were incredible! Then the manager touched our table and chatted with us about weekly specials. We will absolutely be back for their new taco Tuesday promo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice DinnerluvgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2014We went for an early Saturday night dinner. It was the Saturday after Restaurant week and it was almost empty. Hard to get the real feel of the place. The ambiance was real nice and our waitress was a doll. The food was delicious and the drinks were yummy too. Everything was great but nothing really stood out. The crab cakes were great and the shrimp tempura roll were the best things on the table. Portions were perfect. Nothing bad to say, but it was pretty low key. The place is known for it's oysters and none of us did oysters so maybe that was why we can't say anything spectacular about the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uwood131Dined on 9/19/2014We met 2 old friends for dinner that we hadn't seen in a number of years. When I made the reservation I asked for a "quiet place for dinner conversation" and we were seated in exactly that! Food was very good -- we had a selection of appetizers, salad, main courses with everyone happy. We were very pleased and will return.Special Features:
- Food somewhat disappointingBiak66Dined on 9/16/2014My friend loves this place, so she suggested it for a lunch date. I ordered a salmon sandwich and found that, to my taste, the salmon was cooked as you'd expect for a (non-sandwich) entree, but packaged in a roll that didn't match the fish preparation. The fries were pretty good. It will be a while before I try this place again for lunch. Nothing wrong with the service!
- EhMissyDined on 9/14/2014Had visited this place about six months prior, and I didn't remember it being as underwhelming then. Must have been the actually fantastic drinks muddling the lack of flavor from the food. I can get better tasting dishes at Red Lobster.Special Features:
- all u can eatpooldawg44Dined on 9/7/2014My fiancé and I went for the all u can eat snow crabs...TIFFANY my server was beautiful, very attentive and informative. The crab legs were very good and the price was great. We'll be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood restaurantDKNJDined on 9/6/2014Delicious seafood, creative menu choices, excellent friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for our fun groupEatoutoftenDined on 8/30/2014We were seven this time and as always food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Brunch was better than lunchLoudDined on 8/29/2014I went for brunch a while back and it was so delicious, I couldn't wait to return. This time I went for lunch and got a seafood combo salad. The lettuce used was iceburg which I thought was not a good choice to stand up to the seafood included. But the good news is when I asked the server to replace it with spring mix greens, he happily accommodated me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots o' Seafoodfoodie123Dined on 8/20/2014So my boyfriend and I have talked about going to the Oyster House for weeks and finally made it over and it was delicious! We both got entrees and we agreed we'd stick to just oysters, apps, and drinks. As someone in the service industry I'd say the service is just okay. Not really awful and not really anything to rave about. If you enjoy super fresh raw bar goodies then is your place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood GaloreLeann1022Dined on 8/16/2014Doc Magrogans has proved to be one of the best seafood restaurants in the city. Their raw bar is truly something to write about. Oyster shooters, steamer pots, unique specials, and seafood staples like salmon make this restaurant safe for even the most basic seafood lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014A great selection of well prepared seafood. Nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulWineAndDineMeDined on 8/10/2014Perhaps it was because it was a later hour on Sunday, but the pasta was overcooked and one of the mussels was served full of dirt or some sort of black mush (I would rather not know exactly what it is). Only one of the pasta dishes and an extra drink was complimentary but for the prices we paid we are still very unsatisfied. The lobster tacos were also recommended by the waiter, but there were tiny lobster meat pieces and the tortilla was extremely dry. What happened??Special Features:
- Mediocre food, rushed service noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014We were seated in a large, noisy room and attended to by a well meaning, but overworked waiter. The seafood was bland and almost certainly had been frozen previously. I work in University City, but don't plan to return to this restaurant.
- CopiouseatsVIPDined on 8/7/2014We went during happy hour when drinks and oysters are cheap. Enjoyed both!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!!MARYANNEVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wow! started with the BLT mussels, then crab cakes, then key lime dessert. Waiter was wonderful! everything was on point. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second lookkws1Dined on 8/6/2014I had lobster rolls, which could have had more lobster, and less lettuce. They were tasty, but some rolls or crackers would have been appreciated. The place is pleasant, larger than it looks from the outside, but a bit pricey for lunch.Special Features:
- Oyster MagicOysterGuyDined on 8/5/2014Highly recommend "Doc's". This is definitely the place for oyster and seafood lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold FoodJazzyBettyDined on 8/5/2014My husband & I both ordered the fried oyster platters. The oysters were good: however all of the food was cold & the plates were inconsistent. My plate had an ample amount of oysters while my hushand had very little. My husband ordered a cesar salad which was totally forgotten by the server & when it was brought out it looked like the end of the romaine lettuce. The lettuce was a light green. We also ordered raw oysters & ours were brought out & set directly on the table. We noticed that other patrons has some sort of stand which their oyster were placed.
- Oysters on the halfshellSeeFoodDined on 8/5/2014Doc's is located in University City, which is a great area to walk around and catch the Penn and Drexel campus activities, enjoy the historical buildings and museum, walk Locust Walk, or just enjoy the many restaurants. Doc's has large variety of fresh and delicious oysters. There is a daily oyster menu, which changes often and has mouth watering descriptions. Unfortunately, Doc's have chosen not to put the prices on the daily oyster menu which can be costly if you are purchasing the more expensive oysters. That said, the food is excellent and the servers are mostly well trained and professional. If you would like a great dinner with a variety of delicious entrees, you will enjoy this establishment.
- Excellent FoodDrmissannVIPDined on 8/3/2014I love this place and the food is quite good. We ate there late on a Sunday night and they were out of many things...which we understood. They offered us two items as specials, and were very accommodating about substituting vegetables...I miss La Terrasse but love this place, too!Special Features: