Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: 2153823474x
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (36)great for lunch (35)good for groups (32)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (23)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great Seafood!PhillyKidDined on 10/19/2014I love Doc Magrogan's! My friends and I have met up for their Sunday night special (all-you-can-eat crab legs) on multiple occasions and have never been let down. Magrogran's also has a good selection of entrees to choose from as well as a delicious raw oyster bar. I would (and have) recommend(ed) this restaurant to a number of people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of wine....4restaurantweekDined on 10/16/2014We tried to order a couple of bottles of wine, they were out of both, however their recommended alternatives were good. Food was pretty good, overall a nice experienceSpecial Features:
- TerrificRoyaltyDined on 10/15/2014The grilled combo is absolutely amazing. The salmon was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok. But, where's the seafood?lcout4dinnerDined on 10/11/2014Made a reservation for the wife an I, for our anniversary. We were excited for the large seafood menu, since my wife and I don't eat most meat. We ordered oysters, lobster mac n' cheese, pumpkin & crab risotto, and a lobster roll. The oysters were excellent; however neither the lobster mac n' cheese, nor the pumpkin risotto had a trace of seafood in them. My wife's lobster roll was ok; however I felt like the "lobster" was either really shrimp or was mixed with shrimp, since I have had authentic New England lobster roll and it tasted very different. We aren't the type of diners to send food back, but if I had thought my bill would have come to $200, I would have thought twice. I might go back for buck-a-shuck night, but never for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnHard2PleaseDined on 10/11/2014Selected for seafood lunch with special young relative; wanting to be near downtown and universities. Met our high expectations. Excellent selection of raw oysters - delicious. Soups and salads were also nicely presented and delicious. Will return to sample more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yevtuhovDined on 10/10/2014Place was nice, however noisy. Our waitress was Erika. Food was yummy and was brought quickly. But the reason why I scored it with 1 star is what they do with CREDIT CARD SECURITY! When it was time to pay bills by credit card Erika didn't bring card machine to charge the card, but instead she took my card with her and walked away. I had to follow her to observe what she was doing with my card. She swiped it through scanner located on the side of cashier machine display. Why do they do that? Don't they realize either only Erika does so, it's much better for their customers in terms of security, safety and subsequent visits to use mobile credit card charging machine?!Special Features:
- Favorite Philly Seafood SpotDinemasterDined on 10/3/2014My colleague and I had a project to celebrate so we came to Doc Magrogan's for a seafood treat and head fried oysters and calamari, grilled combos and dessert. Good bloody Mary's and martinis. And coffee. The server staff is super friendly and helpful. This is a great place to treat yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!AmazingDined on 9/27/2014We stumbled upon this amazing restaurant as we strolled down Sansom Street. They have a terrific selection of food and drinks. The atmosphere was calm and delightful. No one was rushing us to leave! Stop by and enjoy this neighborhood gem if you are in University City!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulmikejess1011Dined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, and service was great. We where a group of 4 and all of us loved our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent lunch menuMishaVIPDined on 9/22/2014Doc's has revamped their lunch menu and it is great! There are good choices ranging in size and price, and the salmon sandwich is delicious.Special Features:
- Everything was perfectgr8foodVIPDined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend took me there for dinner because he loves oysters. Our server Bryce was extremely helpful with deciding which to go with. Boyfriend said they were the freshest oysters he's ever had and didn't realize there were so many different kinds! We shared a bottle of sauv blanc from New Zealand which was so unique and delicious. We shared crab cakes and their new scallop dishes and neither of us wanted to swap back because both were incredible! Then the manager touched our table and chatted with us about weekly specials. We will absolutely be back for their new taco Tuesday promo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice DinnerluvgoodfoodDined on 9/20/2014We went for an early Saturday night dinner. It was the Saturday after Restaurant week and it was almost empty. Hard to get the real feel of the place. The ambiance was real nice and our waitress was a doll. The food was delicious and the drinks were yummy too. Everything was great but nothing really stood out. The crab cakes were great and the shrimp tempura roll were the best things on the table. Portions were perfect. Nothing bad to say, but it was pretty low key. The place is known for it's oysters and none of us did oysters so maybe that was why we can't say anything spectacular about the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uwood131Dined on 9/19/2014We met 2 old friends for dinner that we hadn't seen in a number of years. When I made the reservation I asked for a "quiet place for dinner conversation" and we were seated in exactly that! Food was very good -- we had a selection of appetizers, salad, main courses with everyone happy. We were very pleased and will return.Special Features:
- Food somewhat disappointingBiak66Dined on 9/16/2014My friend loves this place, so she suggested it for a lunch date. I ordered a salmon sandwich and found that, to my taste, the salmon was cooked as you'd expect for a (non-sandwich) entree, but packaged in a roll that didn't match the fish preparation. The fries were pretty good. It will be a while before I try this place again for lunch. Nothing wrong with the service!
- EhMissyDined on 9/14/2014Had visited this place about six months prior, and I didn't remember it being as underwhelming then. Must have been the actually fantastic drinks muddling the lack of flavor from the food. I can get better tasting dishes at Red Lobster.Special Features:
- all u can eatpooldawg44Dined on 9/7/2014My fiancé and I went for the all u can eat snow crabs...TIFFANY my server was beautiful, very attentive and informative. The crab legs were very good and the price was great. We'll be returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafood restaurantDKNJDined on 9/6/2014Delicious seafood, creative menu choices, excellent friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food for our fun groupEatoutoftenDined on 8/30/2014We were seven this time and as always food and service were excellent.Special Features:
- Brunch was better than lunchLoudDined on 8/29/2014I went for brunch a while back and it was so delicious, I couldn't wait to return. This time I went for lunch and got a seafood combo salad. The lettuce used was iceburg which I thought was not a good choice to stand up to the seafood included. But the good news is when I asked the server to replace it with spring mix greens, he happily accommodated me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots o' Seafoodfoodie123Dined on 8/20/2014So my boyfriend and I have talked about going to the Oyster House for weeks and finally made it over and it was delicious! We both got entrees and we agreed we'd stick to just oysters, apps, and drinks. As someone in the service industry I'd say the service is just okay. Not really awful and not really anything to rave about. If you enjoy super fresh raw bar goodies then is your place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood GaloreLeann1022Dined on 8/16/2014Doc Magrogans has proved to be one of the best seafood restaurants in the city. Their raw bar is truly something to write about. Oyster shooters, steamer pots, unique specials, and seafood staples like salmon make this restaurant safe for even the most basic seafood lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/14/2014A great selection of well prepared seafood. Nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulWineAndDineMeDined on 8/10/2014Perhaps it was because it was a later hour on Sunday, but the pasta was overcooked and one of the mussels was served full of dirt or some sort of black mush (I would rather not know exactly what it is). Only one of the pasta dishes and an extra drink was complimentary but for the prices we paid we are still very unsatisfied. The lobster tacos were also recommended by the waiter, but there were tiny lobster meat pieces and the tortilla was extremely dry. What happened??Special Features:
- Mediocre food, rushed service noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014We were seated in a large, noisy room and attended to by a well meaning, but overworked waiter. The seafood was bland and almost certainly had been frozen previously. I work in University City, but don't plan to return to this restaurant.
- CopiouseatsVIPDined on 8/7/2014We went during happy hour when drinks and oysters are cheap. Enjoyed both!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!!MARYANNEVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wow! started with the BLT mussels, then crab cakes, then key lime dessert. Waiter was wonderful! everything was on point. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second lookkws1Dined on 8/6/2014I had lobster rolls, which could have had more lobster, and less lettuce. They were tasty, but some rolls or crackers would have been appreciated. The place is pleasant, larger than it looks from the outside, but a bit pricey for lunch.Special Features:
- Oyster MagicOysterGuyDined on 8/5/2014Highly recommend "Doc's". This is definitely the place for oyster and seafood lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold FoodJazzyBettyDined on 8/5/2014My husband & I both ordered the fried oyster platters. The oysters were good: however all of the food was cold & the plates were inconsistent. My plate had an ample amount of oysters while my hushand had very little. My husband ordered a cesar salad which was totally forgotten by the server & when it was brought out it looked like the end of the romaine lettuce. The lettuce was a light green. We also ordered raw oysters & ours were brought out & set directly on the table. We noticed that other patrons has some sort of stand which their oyster were placed.
- Oysters on the halfshellSeeFoodDined on 8/5/2014Doc's is located in University City, which is a great area to walk around and catch the Penn and Drexel campus activities, enjoy the historical buildings and museum, walk Locust Walk, or just enjoy the many restaurants. Doc's has large variety of fresh and delicious oysters. There is a daily oyster menu, which changes often and has mouth watering descriptions. Unfortunately, Doc's have chosen not to put the prices on the daily oyster menu which can be costly if you are purchasing the more expensive oysters. That said, the food is excellent and the servers are mostly well trained and professional. If you would like a great dinner with a variety of delicious entrees, you will enjoy this establishment.
- Excellent FoodDrmissannVIPDined on 8/3/2014I love this place and the food is quite good. We ate there late on a Sunday night and they were out of many things...which we understood. They offered us two items as specials, and were very accommodating about substituting vegetables...I miss La Terrasse but love this place, too!Special Features:
- Not a bad choice near PennOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Arrived for a happy hour dinner. That made the prices good, but the $1 oysters were rather small. The rest of the food was OK. But the location is good, and the outside portion out back is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner in vibrant college areaGlennDined on 7/24/2014Nice seafood dinner with good service..plenty of expensive and reasonable selections. Oysters just ok with 2 out of 10 worthless, when shucked shouldn't those 2 be sent back? Most entres and appetizers good 2 dinners out of 5 were very good.Special Features:
- Fire disasterCookOf10yearsDined on 7/23/2014Fire alarm went off just before appetizers came on the table.. Rang for a solid 5 minutes and the staff didn't tell anyone what to do. They just brought the food to the table like it was normal and never asked if we were ok or if we wanted to move outside... Then the steak was over cooked.. Medium was a full well.. I believe the kitchen staff exited the building while all the patrons sat and waited... Had all the possibility of a nice night but ruined because of the panicked staff and ear piercing alarmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014I dined here for UC dining days and was pleasantly surprised by the huge space inside, the extensive seafood (and non seafood) menu. Every staff member we encountered was warm, gracious, and helpful. The food was delicious. I ate the strawberry, goat cheese salad. Then the steak, and an apple crisp for dessert. Everything was perfect. My friend had the shrimp and crab risotto for her entree and the keylime pie for dessert and she also raved about her meal. We both can't wait to come bAck. There was so much more on the menu I want to try.Special Features:
- My first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014This was my first time here, even though I have lived in University City for the past 5 years. I only came now because it was UC Dining Days. So I did the 3 course meals thing for $25. Food was really good as I am a big fan of seafood. Our waitress was nice. Over all, I enjoyed coming here. I just don't know if I would come here normally as it's a tad expensive for me personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their finist hourCathyVIPDined on 7/19/2014"We weren't prepared for Dining Days" - Docs Manager when we complained that the server was totally in the weeds and our food was not good. Now I was unaware it was University City dining days as no one told us nor gave us a dining days menu. Had to ask for rolls after waiting a while for food. They arrived w most of the entrees - burned but she flipped them over so we might not notice. My entree arrived 10 minutes after the rest of the tables only after I asked for it.I was better off w/out it- 6 shrimp , 2 were not edible. The manager did take off my entree and 1 glass of wine due to "food and server issues". SHould have been blamed on the manager for not scheduling staff during Dining Days.
- What an Awesome PlaceEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/19/2014We ate there twice during our week-long stay in Philadelphia. fantastic menu, attentive staff, great food. the second dinner outside taking advantage of the pre-fix menu was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedlynneDined on 7/17/2014We found this during restaurant week. The food was very good and the prices very resonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktail listPhillyguyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Went with my wife and she enjoyed their cocktails that change seasonal according to server. We tried their new menu and the scallop dish was fantasic. Service was great food was awesome and the manager stopped by the table and said hello. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.