Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
3430-32 Sansom Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/philadelphia/
- Phone: 2153823474x
- Hours of Operation:
Come visit us Monday-Sunday for Lunch starting at 11:30am-4pm or Dinner from 4pm-10pm. Late night menu till midnight on Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat from 10pm to 12am. Brunch is served Saturday & Sunday from 11am to 3pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Amanda Dipascale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering is available. Please call for details.
- Entertainment: LATE NIGHT WED TO SAT $1 Buck-A-Shuck starting at 10pm to 12am.
Wednesday: Quizzo starting at 9pm.
Thursday: Late Night Menu with Drink Specials featuring the $3 Fishbowl.
Friday: DJ/Karaoke & Drink Specials. Late Night Menu.
Saturday: Drink Specials & Late Night Menu.
- Special Events: Monday Buck-A-Shuck starting at 4pm.
Tuesday Lobster Fest $16 a pound; reserve your Lobster now!
Sat/Sun Brunch Featuring Limitless Mimosas/Bloody Marys/Madras till 3pm
Sunday All-U-Can-Eat Crab Legs, reserve your table now!
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street
We are a fresh Oyster and Seafood House with the largest selection of oysters in the area! Anywhere from 10-20 different varieties that arrive daily and are shucked to order! Enjoy our extensive raw bar along with craft beers, superior wines and seasonal drink list. Our large outdoor seating and patio make any lunch or dinner special.Continued
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Enjoy our Buck-A-Shuck $1 Oyster menu starting at 4pm on Mondays and Late Night Wednesdays to Saturdays starting at 10pm.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Sansom Street reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)great for lunch (44)special occasion (37)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (31)romantic (27)great for brunch (24)vibrant bar scene (18)late-night find (13)hot spot (12)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (8)Show More
- Lots o' Seafoodfoodie123Dined on 8/20/2014So my boyfriend and I have talked about going to the Oyster House for weeks and finally made it over and it was delicious! We both got entrees and we agreed we'd stick to just oysters, apps, and drinks. As someone in the service industry I'd say the service is just okay. Not really awful and not really anything to rave about. If you enjoy super fresh raw bar goodies then is your place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood GaloreLeann1022Dined on 8/16/2014Doc Magrogans has proved to be one of the best seafood restaurants in the city. Their raw bar is truly something to write about. Oyster shooters, steamer pots, unique specials, and seafood staples like salmon make this restaurant safe for even the most basic seafood lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014A great selection of well prepared seafood. Nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulWineAndDineMeDined on 8/10/2014Perhaps it was because it was a later hour on Sunday, but the pasta was overcooked and one of the mussels was served full of dirt or some sort of black mush (I would rather not know exactly what it is). Only one of the pasta dishes and an extra drink was complimentary but for the prices we paid we are still very unsatisfied. The lobster tacos were also recommended by the waiter, but there were tiny lobster meat pieces and the tortilla was extremely dry. What happened??Special Features:
- Mediocre food, rushed service noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014We were seated in a large, noisy room and attended to by a well meaning, but overworked waiter. The seafood was bland and almost certainly had been frozen previously. I work in University City, but don't plan to return to this restaurant.
- CopiouseatsDined on 8/7/2014We went during happy hour when drinks and oysters are cheap. Enjoyed both!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!!!!MARYANNEVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wow! started with the BLT mussels, then crab cakes, then key lime dessert. Waiter was wonderful! everything was on point. Will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a second lookkws1Dined on 8/6/2014I had lobster rolls, which could have had more lobster, and less lettuce. They were tasty, but some rolls or crackers would have been appreciated. The place is pleasant, larger than it looks from the outside, but a bit pricey for lunch.Special Features:
- Oyster MagicOysterGuyDined on 8/5/2014Highly recommend "Doc's". This is definitely the place for oyster and seafood lovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/5/2014My husband & I both ordered the fried oyster platters. The oysters were good: however all of the food was cold & the plates were inconsistent. My plate had an ample amount of oysters while my hushand had very little. My husband ordered a cesar salad which was totally forgotten by the server & when it was brought out it looked like the end of the romaine lettuce. The lettuce was a light green. We also ordered raw oysters & ours were brought out & set directly on the table. We noticed that other patrons has some sort of stand which their oyster were placed.
- Oysters on the halfshellSeeFoodDined on 8/5/2014Doc's is located in University City, which is a great area to walk around and catch the Penn and Drexel campus activities, enjoy the historical buildings and museum, walk Locust Walk, or just enjoy the many restaurants. Doc's has large variety of fresh and delicious oysters. There is a daily oyster menu, which changes often and has mouth watering descriptions. Unfortunately, Doc's have chosen not to put the prices on the daily oyster menu which can be costly if you are purchasing the more expensive oysters. That said, the food is excellent and the servers are mostly well trained and professional. If you would like a great dinner with a variety of delicious entrees, you will enjoy this establishment.
- Excellent FoodDrmissannVIPDined on 8/3/2014I love this place and the food is quite good. We ate there late on a Sunday night and they were out of many things...which we understood. They offered us two items as specials, and were very accommodating about substituting vegetables...I miss La Terrasse but love this place, too!Special Features:
- Not a bad choice near PennOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2014Arrived for a happy hour dinner. That made the prices good, but the $1 oysters were rather small. The rest of the food was OK. But the location is good, and the outside portion out back is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner in vibrant college areaGlennDined on 7/24/2014Nice seafood dinner with good service..plenty of expensive and reasonable selections. Oysters just ok with 2 out of 10 worthless, when shucked shouldn't those 2 be sent back? Most entres and appetizers good 2 dinners out of 5 were very good.Special Features:
- Fire disasterCookOf10yearsDined on 7/23/2014Fire alarm went off just before appetizers came on the table.. Rang for a solid 5 minutes and the staff didn't tell anyone what to do. They just brought the food to the table like it was normal and never asked if we were ok or if we wanted to move outside... Then the steak was over cooked.. Medium was a full well.. I believe the kitchen staff exited the building while all the patrons sat and waited... Had all the possibility of a nice night but ruined because of the panicked staff and ear piercing alarmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014I dined here for UC dining days and was pleasantly surprised by the huge space inside, the extensive seafood (and non seafood) menu. Every staff member we encountered was warm, gracious, and helpful. The food was delicious. I ate the strawberry, goat cheese salad. Then the steak, and an apple crisp for dessert. Everything was perfect. My friend had the shrimp and crab risotto for her entree and the keylime pie for dessert and she also raved about her meal. We both can't wait to come bAck. There was so much more on the menu I want to try.Special Features:
- My first time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014This was my first time here, even though I have lived in University City for the past 5 years. I only came now because it was UC Dining Days. So I did the 3 course meals thing for $25. Food was really good as I am a big fan of seafood. Our waitress was nice. Over all, I enjoyed coming here. I just don't know if I would come here normally as it's a tad expensive for me personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not their finist hourCathyVIPDined on 7/19/2014"We weren't prepared for Dining Days" - Docs Manager when we complained that the server was totally in the weeds and our food was not good. Now I was unaware it was University City dining days as no one told us nor gave us a dining days menu. Had to ask for rolls after waiting a while for food. They arrived w most of the entrees - burned but she flipped them over so we might not notice. My entree arrived 10 minutes after the rest of the tables only after I asked for it.I was better off w/out it- 6 shrimp , 2 were not edible. The manager did take off my entree and 1 glass of wine due to "food and server issues". SHould have been blamed on the manager for not scheduling staff during Dining Days.
- What an Awesome PlaceEdHooker3VIPDined on 7/19/2014We ate there twice during our week-long stay in Philadelphia. fantastic menu, attentive staff, great food. the second dinner outside taking advantage of the pre-fix menu was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedlynneDined on 7/17/2014We found this during restaurant week. The food was very good and the prices very resonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktail listPhillyguyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Went with my wife and she enjoyed their cocktails that change seasonal according to server. We tried their new menu and the scallop dish was fantasic. Service was great food was awesome and the manager stopped by the table and said hello. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014restaurant was out of many things that we wanted to order and it didn't make sense why it would have something but not another. out of the Lobster Rolls but not the Lobster Summer Rolls. Out of the california roll but not the shrimp tempura roll - when asked, waiter said they didn't have all the ingredients or staff to make the california roll. But they had the staff to make a shrimp tempura roll? Lobster Mac & cheese came out lukewarm. Entree of wood-fired seafood was bland.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014My husband and I came here for brunch and everything was wonderful! We had the blueberry crunch pancakes and the breakfast sandwich with the fried green tomatoes, delish! We even sat at the bar after and had some cocktails and oysters and they were amazing! Wonderful little spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic!!gr8foodVIPDined on 7/11/2014My boyfriend and I went in for the first time; the bar was packed which is always a good sign. We sat at a table outside and it was beautiful! The food came out quickly and was delicious. We had the lobster mac and cheese bites and seafood combo. Stefan was our server and he was super sweet. The manager came over which was above and beyond. This place rocks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OystersHughbeedoobeeDined on 7/5/2014We received an email from Doc's showing July 4th weekend specials. One of the specials on Saturday, July 5, was $1 oysters. When we arrived neither the waitress nor the manager knew anything about the special. They 'had to check.' There was no problem after that. However, I find it interesting that this location was not informed of the special. Corporate....someone didn't do their job....... Otherwise, hubby was very happy with the selection of oysters and my meal was very good.Special Features:
- Always greatOysterschuckerDined on 7/4/2014Freshest seafood, oyster menu like no other, consistent. What else could you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/4/2014My boyfriend and I went here for lunch and had a wonderful time. The food was great, and our server Erika was fantastic. We ordered a bunch of things to share, including the lobster mac and cheese and calamari. Both were great. The crab arancini was also very good. Our server Erika was very friendly and knowledgeable, and made our experience even better. We will definitely be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1$ oysters but overall not worth itfrancesVIPDined on 6/30/2014We only went for the 1$ oysters, which are so worth it. we had a few of the other 5$ appetizers: don't get the fried risotto balls. the tater tots and wings were fine. We went during happy hour, and the house wine was disgusting. Got one of their "fishbowls" [margarita] for 20$, which was supposed to be a ton of liquor but it was meh. Overall meh: but on mondays: buck a shuck oysters is delicious.
- DisappointingDanaDined on 6/29/2014The food was nothing special. I had the fried oyster platter. The portions were generous but tasteless. The service was terrible. Although we ordered the wine first, we finished our appetizers (the lobster rolls were the best part of the meal) before the server brought our bottle our wine. She claimed they were "looking for it." It is too bad the restaurant is so bad because the venue which once housed La Terrasse is lovely. I will not go back.
- PoppyDined on 6/29/2014We had a great time. The food & service were all you could ask for.Special Features:
- Great bartender and bar selectionKarenDined on 6/26/2014Good selection and tastes for happy hour...but could be a bit more lenient with the wine pour for the price. Bartenders very personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suprisingly deliciousDrmissannVIPDined on 6/18/2014I meant to book our table @ Sansom Street Oyster House but goofed. The four all thought it was a great mistake. The food was good. The only problem was that our booth in the back room became so hot by the end of the meal (no A/C? no fan?) that we had to get into the main room/bar to wait for check because we literally felt we were going to pass out.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2014I was super excited to go to docs oyster house and honestly it was a big disappointment. We had horrible, slow service and the food was just mediocre. Oysters were delish but that's about all they get bonus points for !
- A Hit..4greatfoodDined on 6/15/2014Fantastic time with girlfriends. Great ambiance and food was very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice service, good foodLarInPhillyDined on 6/14/2014We booked Doc's because of the outdoor terrace on a beautiful June Saturday night and weren't disappointed. The servers were very pleasant and quite nice. The wine (first glass) was ok and the second was good (a Washington Riesling). The appetizer was tasteless and quite fried - we sent it back and were credited it. The seafood cobb salad was good. The BLT tacos were good. Best part was the off the street terrace for outdoor dining.Special Features:
- DisappointingUSSkyWalkerVIPDined on 6/12/2014The quality of the oysters is poor including the level of service. The noise level will leave you exhausted. Don't bother! Find another oyster house!
- Love the OystersWeekdayLunchersDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I try to get here every month or two. We split a dozen oysters and a seafood cobb salad. The oyster selection varies, and they are always very good. We choose six different varieties and compare them. Always a romantic treat.Special Features:
- Not so greatBelindatuckerDined on 6/10/2014Food was not good at all. I suspected that some of the mussels and clams in my Cioppino were not the freshest. Some mussels shells were cracked and broken. The broth of the Cioppino was tasteless - no seasoning at all. The portion of linguine was very small. Overall disappointed. Will not go back.
- Great seafood in University CityJM37Dined on 6/1/2014We had a great meal to celebrate a graduation at Doc Magrogan's Oyster House. The food was outstanding. Great fresh seafood including appetizers that were amazing. The Lobster Spring Rolls and Lobster Mac and Cheese were both super. Entrees were fresh, hot and attractive to the eye. Taste was outstanding. Service was pleasant and efficient.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTEDLuv2eatVIPDined on 5/29/2014I brought three customers to have lunch and I must say it was disappointing. A large table was seated next to us after we were seated and they were served before us. One person's turkey BLT was cold and the fries cold, they have Mahi Mahi tacos listed on two menus and although they are presented on the menu differently, they were the same. The reason two of us ordered the "califormia" style and the cajun was to split them...the wait staff is clueless about how to handle issues. The sandwich and fries should have been taken off the menu or they should have at least offered coffee/dessert. Philly has a lot of great restaurants, if they don't improve their business skills and food service I will not be back.Special Features: