Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Dover
1131 North Dupont Highway
Dover, DE 19901Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Dover
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.docmagrogans.com/
- Phone: 3028573223x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:45am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
Brunch: Sunday: 11:45am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Karen Weinstein
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Doc Magrogan’s can handle your gathering of up to 100 people. Enjoy Doc’s warm atmosphere, pleasant hospitality, and fresh dishes- sure to please your friends, co-workers, or family. We offer a variety of options for you and your party to enjoy. If you have specific requests, we will be happy to accommodate any of your needs! All of our menus are fully customizable.
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment, Karaoke and Trivia!
- Special Events: *All special events require a ticket purchase. These may be bought from the location itself or from eventbrite.com as the event date approaches. Please check our Facebook page for all event updates and further info.
July 17th-Fordham/Dominion Beer Dinner
August 7th-Yards Beer Dinner
- Cross Street: Northbound side of US 13 (North DuPont Hwy)
- Public Transit: DART First State is the Statewide Public Bus Transportation system. Dover Downs Hotel & Casino is serviced by routes 109, 112 & 113. Visit dartfirststate.com for more information.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary valet provided with lunch or dinner service.
A word from Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Dover
Located in the Colonnade of Dover Downs Hotel and Casino, Dave Magrogan developed these classic 1900′s Oyster Houses as a way to pay tribute and homage to the great tradition of enjoying oysters, the ocean’s little aphrodisiacs. No expense was spared to create an Oyster House that transforms you back to a simpler time of food, fun & merriment in a local watering hole.Continued
It is Doc’s joy to serve you the freshest seafood, the finest handcrafted beers, and a superior wine selection!
Fresh Starts Here
It is Doc’s joy to serve you the freshest seafood, the finest handcrafted beers, and a superior wine selection!
Fresh Starts Here
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Dover reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)special occasion (14)vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (8)neighborhood gem (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)romantic (4)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Overall good service, but food definitely was not worth the price paid. THe oysters were the only thing that tasted fresh. Everything else tasted reheated. Will not return.
- Average food at bestVickiVIPDined on 9/5/2014They didn't have the beer we wanted (it was on the menu - they were out of several choices). They ran out of chilled glasses for the beer. The food was not very good. It lacked flavor. It was just a very average experience overall - like a strip mall chain restaurant. Our server was doing her best and did give my friend her beer on the house since they were out of her first 2 choices.
- JojoHoDined on 9/5/2014oysters were horrible and over-priced. Oher food was mediocre at best
- ReviewPickyeaterVIPDined on 8/26/2014Excellent menu -- food fabulous. Service is so fast it's dizzying! Slow down food delivery a little so customers can savor their meals;). Ie; salads coming before appetizers---then entrees served before appetizers are finished. Definitely will go again though and will highly recommend:)Special Features:
- Worst food everDCFtWorthVIPDined on 8/24/2014Worst food ever! Cesar salad wet and mushy. My stuffed shrimp - undercooked. the stuffing disgusting. I had clients out to dinner. Our entire meal was awful.
- great!!!LisaVIPDined on 8/15/2014Amazing dinner ... Cannot wait to return our next time in town!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Snow Crabs!!TCoxDined on 8/12/2014The all you can eat snow crabs on Tuesday were excellent. Our server was very attentive and made sure we had everything we wanted and needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HBnVALHBnVALDined on 8/2/2014Doc's is an outstanding addition to the Dover Downs Hotel and Casino experience. A "Neighborhood Gem" is also an appropriate title for his nice Chesapeake seafood restaurant in Dover, DE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but pricyVJGreenVIPDined on 7/20/2014Overall nice experience. The bar staff is not very skilled (couldn't deliver the table drinks together....it took 15 minutes to get all 4 drinks at the table together... Very small portions for the price, but nicely presented. Our server (Alex) was a real pleasure, and made our disappointments with the bar and food portions go away via his obvious desire to make the celebration evening a win for us.
- mthmickeyDined on 7/11/2014For first time dining there, food was outstanding, portions very worth the money. Happy hour specials are great. Would def come back.Special Features:
- Don't order Crab dishesCrabbyDined on 6/28/2014I Odered stuffed shrimp and a crab cocktail. The crab imperial for the stuffed shrimp had artificial crab meat. The crab in the cocktail wasn't fresh it was rubbery. Living on the east coast, I'm am accustomed to fresh crab. Everything else was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Experience at DocMacgrogan'sPeachieKeenDined on 6/15/2014I took my husband here for Father's Day. We don't eat oysters but thought the menu looked interesting. Service was quick and swift. Food was another story. EVERYTHING was cold! The mussels were cold & tasteless. Thai chicken was good but not hot. He ordered the pork chop which was okay but lacking enough flavor. I had the lobster with "warm" crab salad and filet mignon. Thank God I did, because it was the ONLY THING warm on my plate. Also, we witnessed other patrons complaining as well. The décor needs updating in Dover. I was very disappointed and would not recommend this restaurant unless you have no problem complaining and sending food back to the chef which I try never to do. If you want good seafood you're better off at Red Lobster!
- Food I'd delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014My husband and I are regulars, I brought my dad out for Father's Day. He and his wife both loved the food! I was happy that they liked it since I suggested it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lacking, but food excellenttooshortDined on 6/6/2014This was my 3rd dinner at this restaurant. Everything was excellent at the first two. This time, the food was excellent as always but the service was awful. The waitress did not seem to want to be bothered with doing her job.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014The atmosphere and food was great! I made our reservations online, which was nice. Our party was seated and served quickly. We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oyster's docafellerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014I wad a little skeptical of a restaurant being located in the colonade of Dover Downs.I was pleasantly surprised.The restaurant was spaciousand plenty of room to get comfortable.Beings I sat inside the restaurant and not out on the deck (inside the casino) noise level was moderate.Selection of oysters was magnificent.Qhich are flown in fresh every day.Overall I give Doc Macgrogan's an A.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oyster bar is wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014If you like raw seafood then Doc's is the place to go! there Doc's platter with shrimp, clams oysters and crab is a meal all by itself!Special Features:
- The following 41 reviews are from the Doc Magrogan's Oyster House - Dover reviews archive.
- OutstandingKatscatchDined on 5/14/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant...Service is exceptional and the food is excellent. Great choices of food on menu, something for everyone! Crab & Cheese fondue appetizer very good! Great job Doc's, I will be back again soon.Special Features:
- cj66mjDined on 5/11/2014Thought I was making reservations for Mother's Day dinner. Disappointed to find out the there was a Mother's Day Buffet that ended at 4:00 pm. Since we lost out on the buffet, we decided to forgo the reservation and dine in the bar. I feel we should have been informed when making the reservation that there was a time limit. We were in the casino before 4:00 but knew nothing about the buffet being that early. Will probably just wing it from now on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not an upscale restaurant- poorjackDined on 5/11/2014we were seated promptly but sat for 1 hr before even being approached by a waitress who then gave us water. (we asked at least 2 waitress' where our waitress was as they walked by us) Ordered 4 drinks, one of which was incorrect . 2 dinners arrived and were served to us that were not ours but was left on our table anyway until we complained to a manager. Those dinners were removed after about another 5 minutes., brought back to the kitchen and then taken to the table next to ours. Those people also complained to the Mgr. Our salads arrived about a half hour later and then our dinner arrived. I ordered the grilled salmon which was hard (overcooked ). cost us $140.00 for bad service, more than a 2 hour stay, and an overcooked meal
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014I would take a large party there. Went there to celebrate my graduation. It took forever to get our food and plates were constantly taken to the wrong table. By the time we recieced our food we were asking for boxes. However I must say that the Crabcakes were out of this world!Special Features:
- Fresh raw barOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I had a few raw clams...they were delicious. Overall the food was very good. Nice food options...if you are looking for something different besides the average local restaurants in Dover. Decent wine selection.Special Features:
- Small PortionsSmallportionsDined on 4/25/2014Food was good but portions were small. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDjmobeedickDined on 4/5/2014Food was very good hardly any wait after ordering. I would go back again.Special Features:
- first timeWoodDined on 4/5/2014Service was awesome. Wasn't expecting the noise was hoping for a quiet dinner but between kids crying and being seated next to the entrance I guess that's expected. Not a good table for a $166 bill for 2.Special Features:
- Great timeFabDivaDined on 4/3/2014The food was delivered in a timely manner and it was fresh and hot. The atmosphere was great. We dined at a booth table this time but have dined at the bar and patio before. Each one offers a different experience. When we want a romantic dinner for two we fine at the booth, if it's appetizers and a drink we dine at the bar or patio and each time the experience and the atmosphere is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeGreatatdocsDined on 3/28/2014We happen to be without kids and went to DOCs. It was a good price and the seafood was the best around. The server was excellent. Our glasses never went empty and he checked on us many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but feel portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Good food but feel portions could be larger to better justify cost of meals and appetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceBobCDined on 3/27/2014We have been to Doc's several times and have never been disappointed. The food is fantastic, the atmosphere was nice, the server was excellent and the prices are reasonable. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel ManiajimmDined on 3/27/2014The three of us had mussels 3 ways. All of the sauces/broths were very good. One beef is that the mussels were not very meaty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fantastic!TracygyrlDined on 3/22/2014Everything was fantastic! We had a party of 18 and everyone received PERFECT service and the food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleased with the wayseeyaagainDined on 3/15/2014Very pleased with the way my husband was honored with the staff singing Happy Birthday and making him feel special. The food and atmosphere were great! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definetly go backJennDined on 3/15/2014Our first "Date Night" after having our son (3.6 yrs ago). It was great, the food was awesome. The waitress was very knowledgable in what to order and how to order it (Oyster wise, since this was my first experience with Oysters). The steam shrimp was just right as was the Filet and Lobster. Will definelty be going back for another special occasion. Price is a little expensive, but worth it! My only recommendation (per my husband) beer was a little warm, need more Frosty mugs available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dover Downs Super Oyster HouseHBnVALDined on 3/14/2014Super nice variety of fresh oysters !!! Excellent staff a very good knowledge of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been going to youralwaysawesomeDined on 2/23/2014We have been going to your restaurant for a couple of years now and have never been dissatisfied. Food and service are always excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday GatheringBookBabeDined on 2/22/2014I have been to Doc's a few times and have never had a bad experience, well that was until the other night. We were a party of roughly 13 and our waitress was very inattentive. She did not come back to the table to check on us etc. I was rather disappointed because this is the first time that has ever happened at this resturant. Also, when we did have a problem and asked another server for help we where given a nasty look and told that we would have to wait for our waitress. I was a little taken aback by the attitude. I do not think that we will use this resturant again for a large party since they are not able to handle those types of events.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place if your not hungryeddieDined on 2/17/2014We never received our entrée after a hour we left without eating and the reason given to us was we had ordered appetizers. We had 6 pm reservations and the restaurant wasn't even half full. This was our 6th time there and will never go back.
- My husband and I stay at DoverperkinsDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I stay at Dover Downs Casino every Valentine day and dine at Doc's. The food is always tastefully delicious,served hot and served to us in great time. The atmosphere is low light ,romantice and a nice experience. The table servers are always dressed so neat and professional and they go out of thier way to make sure you are having a wonnderful dining experience.Mr. Burrell has the customer service that will keep people coming back to your establishment. GREAT FOOD,GREAT SERVERS,GREAT LOCATION..........ONE BAD APPLE AT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No very goodUnsatisfiedDined on 2/14/2014We went to Doc Magrogan's Oyster House for Valentine’s Day dinner special. We were sat out on the patio next to the gaming floor in Dover Down’s, we requested a seat inside and we were told no, it’s reserved. Reserved for whom, there were open tables. It’s very noisy out there and it’s not private. People walking by gawk at what you’re eating. I ordered the Lobster Ravioli special and my friend ordered the fried seafood, he said the Hush Puppies were the worst he has ever had. My Lobster Ravioli was terrible. It was briny and tasted like dirt. I’ve had a lot of Lobster Ravioli in this area and this bay far was the worst. We expressed our dissatisfaction with our meals to our waiter but it has little effect on our bill.
- Valentines112TDined on 2/14/2014Great service,fast, friendly,and made us feel very welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.