Doc Ford’s – Captiva
5400 Plantation Rd
Captiva, FL 33924Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Doc Ford’s – Captiva
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.docfords.com/
- Phone: (239) 312-4275
- Hours of Operation:
Daily Hours: 11:00am - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, American
- Executive Chef: Greg Nelson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please check our entertainment calander online. We will feature music most weekends on Fridays and Saturdays. Times may vary weekly
A word from Doc Ford’s – Captiva
Welcome to Doc Ford’s – Captiva. Home of the Island Mojito and world famous Yucatan Shrimp. Located just outside the gates of tranquil South Seas Island resort Doc Ford’s – Captiva is open to the public.Continued
Come experience tropical flavors from the Caribbean Rim
Come experience tropical flavors from the Caribbean Rim
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Doc Ford’s – Captiva - Best Restaurants in Captiva Island ›
Doc Ford’s – Captiva reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Sanibel vacationMarkJDined on 10/25/2014We had dinner twice during our week stay on Sanibel island. Our service and quality of food was excellent. The manager personally came around and checked on us both times. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Doc Fords WinnercaptivatoniDined on 10/9/2014I've always enjoyed the food at Doc Fords in Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach...but the food in Captiva seemed to be even better! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yucatan Shrimp are a must!MagnoliaDined on 9/26/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our Doc Ford's dinner before the Island Hopper Festival events last Friday. My Ceviche and Yucatan shrimp were delicious. I love spicy and the shrimp were perfectly spicy! My husband's paella was chock full of seafood. My friend's shrimp and grits dish got a thumbs up from him. We also enjoyed the music from songwriters who were performing in an adjacent room. A great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great family restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Ate here twice during our stay in Captiva. They were very accommodating for our large group of 3 families (5 kids). The menu has a lot of great options for entire family. Favorite dish was the spicy yucatan shrimp which made a great app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMim123Dined on 8/17/2014Nice menu. The food was great, nice size portions. Excellent waitress service, friendly, couldn't do enough for us. We will be back before we leave FL.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- D F'S CAPTIVAOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Another great place to dine. Love the Fort Myers resturarnt and will soon try the Sanibel one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay homeFoodieDined on 8/13/2014Not worth it inept service. Food so so. Noisy and overoriced. Clay chowder was great thpugh.
- Great food!MelissaD129Dined on 8/6/2014Food was great! Good value as well! Loved the peel and eat shrimp and the carrot cake is to die for!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 40 reviews are from the Doc Ford’s – Captiva reviews archive.
- Change of pace - Try Rum FlightsemceeDined on 7/22/2014We stopped here while on vacation for dinner. Food was good, fish and shrimp. I'm not a big fan of sweet drinks, so I tried the Flight assortment of rums. Great choice! I don't normally drink rum but straight up sipping several was a unique and enjoyable change of pace.Special Features:
- Good for eating outside -TouristOliveGlassDined on 7/21/2014Staff and Service was very good, food was good, good bar selection of top shelf brnds , but wine list was limited. Would go back, as good for big family dinners.
- Solid Pub FoodRealtorJCPDined on 7/18/2014Fabulous Yucatan Shrimp and great rum concoctions !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual dining on CaptivaCreativelyswankDined on 7/12/2014In the area for a hockey tournament this proved to be hit with our group. The grits alone were worth the trip, so delightfully cheesy with just the right hint of heat. There were no complaints about any of the items we ordered, everything was fresh and flavorful. Service was top notch. Not the place I'd go for a romantic evening but perfect for families and groups.Special Features:
- Best on CaptivaOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/2/2014We really enjoyed Doc Ford's. Started w/ the Jerk Chicken faltbread ( can get gluten free crust) and yukatan shrimp for 4 people to share. Loved both. Main course, fish taco's, snapper and grilled shrimp. Drinks were great, waitress was great. Didn't let us over order.Special Features:
- Not worth the $$GdEatsDined on 7/2/2014Children's menu left much to bd desired. Husband ordered a salad which was wilted and I paid 28.95 for a scallop dish that was horrible. Never again. Name, location, and ambience can't make up for pricey, below average meals.
- Really good foodBwallsDined on 6/24/2014My husband had the Mahi and I had the snapper. Both dishes were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Father's Day lunchtampamarilynDined on 6/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Doc Ford's! The server was very courteous, prompt, and attentive to specific requests with each person. Food was beyond excellent! The fish tacos are to die for - we requested ours with grouper. Also, the snapper in banana leaves was very good & creative. Also at the table was the grouper sandwich & cuban. Everyone was more than satisfied. All of the staff are very courteous and friendly. Can't say enough good about this place. A definite stop while in Captiva!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodEileenDined on 6/8/2014We enjoyed our meal at Doc Ford's Captiva. We followed advice from trip advisor. The Yucatan Shrimp was wonderful. . The Bayamo black bean dip was exceptional. My husband enjoyed his cheeseburger. Prices were reasonable on both drinks and food. The waiter could have been a little more personable. Would recommend and would go back.Special Features:
- Vacation in Captivaalex3434Dined on 6/3/2014My family and I were on vacation looking for a place for my wife to have a Cuban sandwich when we found Doc Ford's in Captiva. She enjoyed every bite and the shrimp and we're delightful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, casual dininglocalFLgirlDined on 5/24/2014This was our first time visiting doc ford's. The restaurant was nice, not over-crowded, and clean. The food and drinks were amazing. I definitely recommend the Yucatan Shrimp and Grouper Sandwich. And the run drinks were VERY strong, so be careful ;)Special Features:
- Spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We vacation in Sanibel & Captiva yearly. Doc fords is our favorite place to dine. Yucatan shrimp is delicious, always hot, flavorful and fresh. Prices are reasonable and service is always top notch. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needed in Captiva!AmazingVIPDined on 4/22/2014Food was very tasty. It's a great location & so glad you can make reservations through Open Table!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific twice!MariaDined on 4/20/2014We loved our meal so much for my husband's birthday- that we came back 2 nights later because our son wanted to celebrate his birthday there too! We ordered different dishes each trip- and we loved everything! (Mahi Mahi, fish tacos, shrimp & grits, crab claws, ribs, flat breads etc) Extremely well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doc's Got The Hunger Cure!MartyDined on 4/12/2014Our pompano, snapper, calamari, and other seafood was done beautifully and looked as good as it tasted. We also enjoyed the mango and pineapple mojitos! Service was outstanding and always makes a positive impression on a restaurant and Patty was very knowledgeable about the food and has a great sense of humor. I can recommend this restaurant without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible foodJudieBDined on 3/30/2014Not sure where these great reviews came from but our food was TERRIBLE. Tasted like it came off a Sysco truck. Certainly no self respecting chef would put out such awful food. Island Style Shrimp tasted old and certainly not fresh, and had no "island" flavor. It was mushy. Clam chowder was tasteless and had the consistency of paste. The drunkin parrot carrot cake was supposed to have rum on it but no rum tasted and it was very dry and tasteless, however the frosting was good. Waste of money. Touristy. Loud. Waiter was nice but inexperienced and never did ask how we liked our food, which most of mine was left on the plate. When he asked about the dessert, if we liked it, we said no it wasn't good. No response except to give us our bill.Special Features:
- Poor service. They broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/30/2014Poor service. They brought my meal 10 minutes after my wife's. Seems they just forgot and didn't attempt to make up for it. Better food at most other Captiva restaurants. Good bar but skip the restaurant.Special Features:
- Good, Upscale Pub FoodTheFamilyDined on 3/29/2014Doc Fords seems to be trying to do a little bit of everything in this venue -- family restaurant, upscale pub, sports bar and more. On the whole, I'd describe it as upscale pub food. The space is generous and maybe even too open We dined twice as a family and had good experiences both time. The food was above average and the service was attentive. Despite being kid-friendly, the food on their kids' menu comes in adult sizes and portion --can be good or bad but is worth considering. Odd thing to note about the reservations -- we made one for a party of three weeks in advance and all worked out well. When we tried on short notice, they said reservations were only for large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ambienceFoodnut2Dined on 3/27/2014Food and ambience just so-so. Three of us ate....fish fingers were very good. Fish sandwich limp, soggy and barely warm. Ribs cooked w/o sauce. Sauce put on afterwards. Chowder too thick and not remarkable. Seating just like every eating place in America, i.e. Chains.
- Love this place!DeniseDined on 3/18/2014I'm just so thrilled to have Doc Fords on Captiva. Great staff and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AVOIDceliarDined on 3/9/2014Extremely loud. Unbelievably SLOW service. Average food. Seriously pricey. Don't do it.
- Fun Outdoor Seating w/Great FoodAliceDined on 3/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner so much we went back for a second dinner. We sat outside on the patio both times which I would strongly suggest. Inside feels very bar like and not the kind of place we would have enjoyed on our quick escape from snow. The food was great. We enjoyed grilled grouper, mahi mahi, fish tacos, flatbread pizza, hamburger - all delicious with a decent nod towards health Service was good. Prices reasonable. Good for families, young and old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work in ProgressMarkFromHomewoodDined on 3/8/2014This is a shiny, recent addition to the Doc Fords family of bustling restaurants, with a prime Captiva location at the entrance to the sprawling South Seas Plantation. We were excited to secure a reservation for a special occasion, but ended up happy to go. The food was fine. The restless ambiance was inappropriate for a 60th anniversary meal. The service was as indifferent and inattentive. We were seated on a cocktail-sized table in front of a bandstand on live music night. So much for conversation. Our server was disengaged. The wrong plates were brought to the table. The beverages were not replenished during the meal. This is out of character with other visits to Doc Fords, and I expect improvements as this location gets it's legs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent additionStephVIPDined on 3/7/2014Been to all the other locations and this one was also great. Love the Yucatan shrimp!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better options on Captiva IslandOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/25/2014Service was not great, food just average, but fun outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Love the nightly specials!DeniseDined on 2/19/2014I am a regular diner at Doc Fords and you can never go wrong with the nightly specials. Recently I had hogfish and my favorite, pan seared scallops with black linguine. Both fabulous. Yucatan shrimp is a must have starter. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience.MikemotorDined on 2/18/2014Always a great experience. A little loud due to the number of young children, but this was expected at a resort restaurant this time of year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Doc FordsDeniseDined on 2/14/2014Doc Fords is exactly what Captiva needed. The nightly special did not disappoint. It was beautifully layered hogfish with sautéed vegetables and quinoa. The textures blended so well together - it was a melt in your mouth meal. Do also have their famous Yucatan Shrimp. I will probably go back twice before I leave in a week. I was excited when Doc Fords opened this restaurant and am a frequent diner while in Florida!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our entrees were deliveredOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014Our entrees were delivered before the appetizers were finished, and one entree was not complete.I would recommend this to a friend.
- captive audience on CaptivaLilMsFoodieDined on 2/1/2014our group of four had a good sampling of what this Doc's has to offer: oysters (raw), ceviche, quinoa salad, fish taco and steak. I think everyone liked their food but I felt my fish tacos, something Doc's has prided itself on since opening on Sanibel 10 years ago, were indifferent and the beans and rice accompaniment was worthy of a frozen dinner. No salsa with the taco and nothing offered. Tacos get a 3/10...edible but not much more. Our server wasn't very good. That is a problem on Captiva where business is always feast or famine. Good servers get picked off by other restaurants. While the location can not compare with the shrimp docks of Fort Myers Beach or Sanibel's Rum Bar, this restaurant had little character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to Have a special partySteveoDined on 12/26/2013Excellent food,service and seating worth the drive for day trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Doc Ford'sBeezerDined on 12/25/2013My husband and I had a wonderful no frills dinner. Good size portions and the wait staff was very attentive and speedy. Our bellies were full!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.