Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
409 Gough Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dobbsferrysf.com/
- Phone: 4155517700x
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Lunch/Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Dobbs Bar (406 Hayes St):
Monday - Friday 2:00pm - 1:45am
Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 1:45am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mike Yakura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have a wide variety of catering options available. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Information may also be found on our website at www.dobbsferrysf.com
- Private Party Facilities: Dobbs Ferry has 3 different rooms that are available for private events. Contact Danny at email@example.com for more information. Information may also be found on our website at www.dobbsferrysf.com
- Private Party Contact: Miranda Sun 4155517700x
- Special Events: Dobbs Ferry is available for private events, banquets, and catering. We have three rooms to accommodate most sized groups. Contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Hayes St.
- Public Transit: Number 21 Muni stops directly in front of the restaurant. You can also take the 5 or the F and have a short walk.
1/2 Mile walk from Civic Center BART.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Street parking and public lots within 1 block. Grove and Gough parking lots as well.
A word from Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant is an all day and everyday establishment; for locals, by locals; with a welcoming beckon to all of the visitors of this Little City. It is an ambassador of West coast food and East coast style with an "old world" feel, that is uniquely and unequivocally San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (126)fit for foodies (99)special occasion (46)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (31)great for brunch (29)romantic (22)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (19)hot spot (15)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Flexible HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/22/2014Our group of four was looking for a place to watch the World Series game. The staff I spoke to ahead of time was terrific, suggesting options and reserving a table in the front room adjacent to the restaurant's bar, within sight of a TV. Upon arrival, however, the hostess let us know there was still a table for 4 available in the bar, where two TVs (on mute) would be showing the game. Our server Rachel was wonderful all evening. The food was creative, delicious, served in good order...we were well cared for. Highly recommend this home away from home. Only two blocks from Davies Hall, so a great find for concert nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dobbs Ferrysbr1pianomnaVIPDined on 10/19/2014This place is a gem as the food, service and setting is great as prelude to the SF Opera Sunday matinees. We are frequent diners and appreciate their attentiveness to service and food preparation.Special Features:
- So pleased!NickiVIPDined on 10/19/2014Our Sunday brunch at Dobbs Ferry was great. They did a grand job of handling our needs, including the wishes of the two children in our group. They made us feel that they were happy to have us, and the food was delicious! Fortunately for those of us who were headed to the opera, Dobbs Ferry was just an easy walk away. Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Great location,food,drinks,service!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014A short walk to the opera, ballet, and theatre venues. We'll be going back to Dobbs Ferry.Special Features:
- Charming setting, attentive serviceTomSDined on 10/17/2014Went to Dobbs Ferry for our anniversary dinner. The service was excellent - charming and attentive but not hovering. The noise level was modest. One of the best Manhattans you'll ever have. The food was absolutely delicious - perfectly done and nicely presented. The only negative was that it's hard to find a heart-healthy menu option. Some dishes are richer than they need to be. Overall, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Still good before a concertAnonymousIVDined on 10/15/2014Attentiveness to performance start times is still a major asset in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third timerobertcommandayDined on 10/15/2014The quality fine if the tagliatelle were not a bit under al dente. Only criticism is that the menu is not changed really, week to week.Special Features:
- Pre - performanceChesterVIPDined on 10/15/2014That's the main reason people are there and I think the restaurant has gotten used to and lazy about the crowd. The food is OK, the space is great, the service is a bit over the top. That being said it is reliable for the 6 PM crowd.Special Features:
- Good foodDBA1VIPDined on 10/13/2014I ate more than I had planned on. I started with the arancini, something I would normally have passed on. The description of the sauce was what won me over and I'm glad I did it. The caper/anchovy butter sauce was perfection. I could happily pour it on almost everything. I followed that with a delicious pear and pecan salad and finished with the night's special. It was a tomato based stew with pork belly, sausage and heirloom potatoes. Again, it was delicious. This was my first visit and it won't be my last.Special Features:
- A favoriteDenniVIPDined on 10/10/2014A neighborhood gem. I don't come here's enough but when I do I always regret not frequenting DF more often. Food and service excel. They know how to value customers and you feel it every time. Dishes are wonderful. Had family visit SF and I knew DF would make it a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Food great, service stretchedilannaVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had dinner here before the opera and found the food to be creative/fun and flavorful but the service to be stretched. Our waiter was hard to find and unresponsive. We had to retrieve the wine we had ordered for dinner (which arrived after we were nearly done with our dinner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent once again.OperaGoerDined on 10/10/2014As in September, we had a pre-opera dinner at DF-NY. The food was wonderful, and the service (our waiter was Nathan) was first rate. I had the steak (perfectly done medium) and my spouse had the stuffed shells (as good in any Italian restaurant, if not better). I would not hesitate to reserve a table next month!Special Features:
- Chef knows his stuff!ETfromNYVIPDined on 10/9/2014I love Dobbs Ferry restaurant! It's the perfect place to come before a City Arts & Lectures event, and any other time. From the minute we walked in, the service was wonderful starting with the hosts. We had a lovely server who was very helpful about getting us out on time. The best part though, is the food -- there is clearly a chef in the kitchen. Since I am a gluten-free person, I made a special request to sub polenta for the pasta with tomato-braised beef short ribs -- not only were they happy to accommodate, but the dish was over the top delicious. As were the brussel sprouts, the burrata app and my friend's brown sugar brined pork loin. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful!FoodRequired1VIPDined on 10/3/2014Had an enjoyable meal. Great food server, enjoyed his recommendations and especially his giving us the recipe!Special Features:
- DisappointingmccalmoVIPDined on 10/1/2014We went with friends. It's a perfectly adequate restaurant in some sense. But since we live in San Francisco and there are great restaurants everywhere, it just should be better. Or at last that is my view. Everyone was polite and friendly. Gough is a hugely busy street, but it was reasonable indoors. There was some smoking on the street that was a bit annoying for part of the meal.Special Features:
- DrJackVIPDined on 9/30/2014Our favorite place for dinner before the Opera. Consistently flavorful food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Love this place. Not only is the food always consistently excellent, the owners and staff are attentive and actually remember you!Special Features:
- hidden treasureOman5Dined on 9/24/2014I had walked by this place hundreds of times without even having desire to enter, as it just looked rather nondescript from outside and did not look like a kind of place I normally frequent with excitement . Boy, WAS I WRONG !!!! One evening ,a good friend of mine took me there for dinner after a matinee of an opera, as it is just a couple of blocks away from opera house. The food was unexpectedly innovative and re-fined within that comfortable home-cooking realm (= meaning unpretentiously re-fined and simply yummy ). The price point is incredibly reasonable, too. The wait crew is also genuinely friendly and knowledgeable about different kinds of food from various cultures, although the dishes are based on American cookery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-performance diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014Our party of five arrived in staggered style due to Bay Area traffic. Nevertheless, staff were extremely attentive to our ultimate deadline at nearby Miner Hall. All of the older adults enjoyed their entrees and the fresh vegetable components within them, but our young adult diner found the meatballs to be overly spicy. The staff were attentive to serving an alternate choice from the menu and excluding the charges for this unappreciated item. This will be on our destination list for future concerts.Special Features:
- meh.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014i was underwhelmed. the bacon was soggy and fatty, the toast blah. eggs were poached the way i like them and the potatoes okay. service was friendly but the waiter announced to us that it would be us "and a bunch of old people trying to make the theatre". kind of off-putting. bloody mary was meh, too.
- Just great food and serviceJustaguyDined on 9/20/2014Found a real winner here. Super friendly and attentive staff, and awesome food. The pizza was a nice mix of traditional and californian. The broccolini was cooked perfectly and the chocolate cake was rich and excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2SFdinersDined on 9/20/2014Everything about Dobbs Ferry was wonderful. We were seated right away, the manager and assistant manager were so friendly and came to the table to make sure everything was going well. The waiter was terrific. He explained the menu, we made a few changes and he was very happy to comply to our request. He brought our drinks , asked if we had tickets to the symphony, brought the food when it was ready and we never felt rushed. We had tickets for an 8PM performance. We were seated at 6PM and left a little after 7:15 PM . We really enjoyed the meal and will certainly make reservations for the next symphony performance we will be attending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service simply excellent!!DannyDined on 9/20/2014Every dish we had was fantastic, unique and delicious . The service was excellent. Our waiter John did a fantastic job of describing each dish we had along with providing wonderful service. We will be back!!Special Features:
- Great family reunion setting!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Dobbs Ferry turned out to be the perfect place for a family brunch reunion. My aunt asked for a place that was not noisy (as so many SF restaurants are today), so we could have a good visit. It was the perfect place. We had our own area where everyone was able to converse without distracting noise. The service was excellent, and the brunch was delicious. Everyone loved their brunch selections. My aunt's friend was from the East coast and knew of Dobbs Ferry because he lived nearby. We all agreed we would return. I dine there before the ballet and will be sure to return when the ballet season resumes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- owhyVIPDined on 9/19/2014Extensive menu; excellent presentation; top-notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarryDined on 9/19/2014Simply a delightful excperience, especially the innovative cooking. If you haven't tried it, DO. (For dinner, though, reservation is pretty much a necessity).Special Features:
- Great SpotIpanemagirlVIPDined on 9/16/2014From the moment you arrive you are made to feel really welcome by the friendly staff. The food and service were excellent. This is a great spot to dine at before attending a cultural event in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable, convenient, good food!LorenDined on 9/14/2014Dobbs Ferry has become our Sunday brunch 'go to' location, prior to the 2 pm opera matinee. Dobbs Ferry staff recognize us and genuinely welcome our return. That's such a nice touch! Menu has been updated and there are new items periodically, so we come back and enjoy. I have recommended it to friends and will continue to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific HollandaisebarbsbergDined on 9/14/2014I had smoked trout Benedict, and it was terrific. And I don't know how they died the potatoes, but I'd like to get the recipe. They were addictive. I'm going back next weekend for another brunch.Special Features:
- Excellent spot before operaOperaGoerDined on 9/12/2014Went for the first time before an opera performance. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. The waiter's suggestions for wine was spot on. We will look forward to dining there again before another opera performance, or another time we are in Hayes Valley.Special Features:
- sfo123sfo123VIPDined on 9/9/2014Our waiter was superb. He asked if we were on way to an event and took excellent care of us. Two had pizza and it was excellent, the rest had pasta and all were very pleased. It was probably the best service we have had before the opera/symphony/ballet at any restaurant in the area in years and we have tried them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was so good!SamJDined on 9/6/2014Food was delicious, service was prompt, servers were delightful. I will absolutely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suesue22cultureloverDined on 9/5/2014I enjoy attending the symphony and opera, and prefer to dine somewhere in the neighborhood prior to the performance. Dobbs Ferry has emerged to be my favorite "go-to" restaurant. Staff are very friendly, competent, take into consideration your needs for curtain time, and the tables are spaced so that you feel you have privacy in conversations. The best part is the food. I have had several items on the menu, and they have consistently been perfectly cooked. The selection is eclectic, some unusual, there are small plates available as well as regular size portions. I heartily recommend Dobbs Ferry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decembergirlDined on 8/31/2014My friend and I were initially drawn to this restaurant because we are both from Dobbs Ferry, New York. We had heard about it from pals and wanted to add our pictures to the Dobbs Ferry wall! That was the initial hook, but this is a true San Francisco find. The food was terrific, the portions generous, the wine (and menu) fairly priced, and the ambiance friendly. The service was excellent. I will be back.Special Features:
- TeenDined on 8/30/2014From the moment we entered the restaurant, we were made to feel at home. The hostess was quite warm and friendly. The appetizers and main dishes were very good. The server was very helpful and attentive. The wine was reasonable.Special Features:
- Outstanding!pattinolaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Friendly staff, amazing food, lovely atmosphere. My picky friend declared it the best roasted chicken he'd ever eaten. Reasonable prices too! An all-around great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/29/2014We've been here several times, mostly before the theater or the symphony and such. The food never disappoints, and usually impresses. The pasta with spare ribs is really good, as is the pork tenderloin. They appear to have had some staff turnover, so some of the new servers are still getting up to speed, so the service is not quite as good as it used to be, but I expect it will be fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Plenty of itAngelaVIPDined on 8/26/2014After reading the menu which included pizza, rice balls and some other old style Italian dishes, we weren't expecting anything out of the ordinary. The chef has taken many of the old style dishes and given them a distinctly modern twist. The chicken stew with pepperoncini and fried potatoes was excellent with just the right combination of spices to add interest to the dish. Two of us ordered it and we each had enough for 2 additional meals. The cannolis were non traditional but quite tasty. The wines complemented the foods perfectly. Even the grilled salmon had an extra zip to it. Everyone at our table gave the meal at least 3 stars. We all intend to return to Dobbs Ferry very soon.Special Features:
- Great before a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014It's located right by the parking garage and the symphony theatre. This resturaunt made out night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and mealchrisroberDined on 8/25/2014We went before a show at Davies Hall in Civic Center. Super close and easy walk! Easy to get to from bart or driving as well. The food was great, as was the service. I would highly recommend the Burrata with Grilled peaches or the carbonara pizza. Also, the restaurant has a ton of gluten free options, which is great if you are accommodating people with different needs. Our waitress recommended we order more wine because it was a better deal at the restaurant than at the venue - and she was right! Cheaper wine for the win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.