Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
409 Gough Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dobbsferrysf.com/
- Phone: 4155517700x
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Lunch/Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Dobbs Bar (406 Hayes St):
Monday - Friday 2:00pm - 1:45am
Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 1:45am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mike Yakura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have a wide variety of catering options available. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Information may also be found on our website at www.dobbsferrysf.com
- Private Party Facilities: Dobbs Ferry has 3 different rooms that are available for private events. Contact Danny at email@example.com for more information. Information may also be found on our website at www.dobbsferrysf.com
- Private Party Contact: Miranda Sun 4155517700x
- Special Events: Dobbs Ferry is available for private events, banquets, and catering. We have three rooms to accommodate most sized groups. Contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Hayes St.
- Public Transit: Number 21 Muni stops directly in front of the restaurant. You can also take the 5 or the F and have a short walk.
1/2 Mile walk from Civic Center BART.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Street parking and public lots within 1 block. Grove and Gough parking lots as well.
A word from Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant is an all day and everyday establishment; for locals, by locals; with a welcoming beckon to all of the visitors of this Little City. It is an ambassador of West coast food and East coast style with an "old world" feel, that is uniquely and unequivocally San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (116)fit for foodies (84)special occasion (45)vibrant bar scene (32)great for brunch (30)good for groups (29)notable wine list (22)romantic (21)great for lunch (15)hot spot (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014My friend and I were initially drawn to this restaurant because we are both from Dobbs Ferry, New York. We had heard about it from pals and wanted to add our pictures to the Dobbs Ferry wall! That was the initial hook, but this is a true San Francisco find. The food was terrific, the portions generous, the wine (and menu) fairly priced, and the ambiance friendly. The service was excellent. I will be back.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/30/2014Friendly staff, amazing food, lovely atmosphere. My picky friend declared it the best roasted chicken he'd ever eaten. Reasonable prices too! An all-around great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/29/2014We've been here several times, mostly before the theater or the symphony and such. The food never disappoints, and usually impresses. The pasta with spare ribs is really good, as is the pork tenderloin. They appear to have had some staff turnover, so some of the new servers are still getting up to speed, so the service is not quite as good as it used to be, but I expect it will be fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Plenty of itAngelaVIPDined on 8/26/2014After reading the menu which included pizza, rice balls and some other old style Italian dishes, we weren't expecting anything out of the ordinary. The chef has taken many of the old style dishes and given them a distinctly modern twist. The chicken stew with pepperoncini and fried potatoes was excellent with just the right combination of spices to add interest to the dish. Two of us ordered it and we each had enough for 2 additional meals. The cannolis were non traditional but quite tasty. The wines complemented the foods perfectly. Even the grilled salmon had an extra zip to it. Everyone at our table gave the meal at least 3 stars. We all intend to return to Dobbs Ferry very soon.Special Features:
- Great before a concertOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014It's located right by the parking garage and the symphony theatre. This resturaunt made out night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and mealchrisroberDined on 8/25/2014We went before a show at Davies Hall in Civic Center. Super close and easy walk! Easy to get to from bart or driving as well. The food was great, as was the service. I would highly recommend the Burrata with Grilled peaches or the carbonara pizza. Also, the restaurant has a ton of gluten free options, which is great if you are accommodating people with different needs. Our waitress recommended we order more wine because it was a better deal at the restaurant than at the venue - and she was right! Cheaper wine for the win!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time But Not The LastcwilsonVIPDined on 8/20/2014The menu is simple but there is something for everyone. the Burrata with fresh peaches was perfect. The fried green tomatoes were just OK but I probably wouldn't order them again. The ravioli was delicious, the perfect texture. Wine list was fine. Our server was attentive but not smothering. Lovely!Special Features:
- Civic Center TreatPreshowdinerDined on 8/16/2014This is a wonderful restaurant for pre opera, ballet, symphony performances etc. Staff inquired if we had a performance time line and did not rush us but took care of our order in a timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy foodie experienceFoundFoodLuvDined on 8/10/2014Great seasonal food, superbly prepared and cooked, great ambiance. This restaurant has it all. Enjoyed a fabulous dinner: tarted with shared plates of fresh grilled sardines, and buratta with fresh peaches which was outstanding! My pork entry was delicious, and th others has excellent pasta dishes. My daughters have been there twice before and said this is some of the best food she has ever had, and the experience is repeated every time she has dined there.Special Features:
- Great on all accountsSFfoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014Service was outstanding, wait staff was keenly attentive but not intrusive. Food, outstanding. Would definitely feel comfortable to recommend to anyone wanting a great meal with great service. We'll absolutely be going back!Special Features:
- Always greatjfhsVIPDined on 8/1/2014Somehow, every time we eat here, it gets better and better.Special Features:
- Great serviceTomasDined on 7/31/2014The food was good with some interesting choices, the marrow with pesto, for example. The space is a bit cramped and the noise level was excessive. The service, in the other hand, was outstanding. In addition to our wait person, several other staff members stopped by our table to help out or inquire about our meals without being intrusive. They also accomodated a special salad request that was not on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before symphonyhammerVIPDined on 7/31/2014They asked if we had plans, which we did, and then paced everything accordingly. Had the chips and cauliflower as appetizer. Dinners were rigatoni, scarpa pizza and stuffed shells. All great and the red sauce is fabulous. Had a great pre-meal cocktail and a bottle of red from New York that was fabulous. Overall a great experience ---we'll come back for sure.Special Features:
- Fantastic!510foodieDined on 7/31/2014I joined a friend for pre-show dinner and drinks last week, and WOW did we get more than I expected! I'd read reviews and heard from friends that Dobbs Ferry would be a great choice, but I had no idea! Drinks were amazing, innovative bourbon selection, not the standards around these parts. We ordered way more than we anticipated, because it was impossible to choose dishes! we went with 'yes'. Every dish hit the nail on the head, no duds. Very good, and I look forward to many more visits.Special Features:
- Great dinner before a showpriceymallfishDined on 7/28/2014I had dinner with my dad here before seeing a City Arts and Lecture talk. It was easy and quiet. I ordered the cauliflower side dish and when the manager asked how everything was, I mentioned it had a little too much heat. He brought me another that was perfect. I wasn't even going to complain because even though it was a bit spicy, I still liked it. Everyone was very accommodating. We loved it.Special Features:
- Disappointing after past visitsAnonymousIVDined on 7/26/2014This was my first chance to try out the bar. I do not know whether it was the server or the bartender, but someone really doesn't know anything about drinking whiskey straight without ice. First I got it mixed into an Old Fashioned (which I did not ask for) and then poured out after having been put in a cocktail shaker with ice. Usually, I do not drink because I am off to work; but this pretty much discouraged me from having anything to do with the bar in the future. On the food side I have to confess that I ordered the corn soup after having been really impressed with Indigo's version. This time was a flat-out failure: hardly any corn, a watery, almost tasteless broth, and some perverse idea to substitute potato for the corn.Special Features:
- odd dining experiencesfdinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014The weirdest meal I have had in a long time - slimy boiled chicken with sodden potatoes swimming in liquid surrounded by large peppers. Don't know what it was trying to achieve but left me cold. Other dishes may be (hopefully) better but won't be going back.
- tookpickVIPDined on 7/25/2014Just love this place. Go for the homemade raviolis with cream sauce. You'll return. Great wait staff.Special Features:
- WilliamWilliamVIPDined on 7/25/2014We tried Dobbs Ferry before the symphony. As mentioned in previous reviews the staff was very friendly; we were treated like special guests. We tried the most popular courses: the rigatoni and flat iron steak. Fantastic!! We shared the liver pate which was superb. Excellent wine choices by the glass. Dobbs Ferry is very conscious about insuring we had plenty of time for the 7:30 performance but did not rush us at all. We had a delightful experience and will return to sample other menu items. We found a terrific restaurant for pre-performance dinners in Civic Center.Special Features:
- surprise find!CodyDined on 7/24/2014We saw a performance at SF Jazz around the corner and walked over to DF afterwards. What a welcome we received by the hostesses and the manager and the waitress, everyone. We have already recommended the spot to several friends in the city. It was refreshing to be in a hip place without the attitude....inviting, warm, excellent food and even shared recipes if you ask the cook! It is now one of our top 5 go-to restaurants. Thanks so muchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience at Dobbs FerryTheMDined on 7/24/2014Due to horrendous traffic, we arrived 45 minutes late (we called to let them know). They were super accommodating, and seated us in the front area immediately. Knowing that we had limited time since we were attending a show, they told us what to avoid ordering (would take more time to make), and assured us that they could get the food out quickly to us. We ordered margaritas, which were good. The food did arrive quickly, and it was delicious. I had the chicken liver pate (wonderful) and tomato panzanella (those toy box melons are delicious), and my husband had the tagliatelle (he loved it). The food was great, and the service was top notch. We were in and out in 40 minutes. Thank you, Dobbs Ferry!Special Features:
- Great find on the Hayes Market areamshepardDined on 7/20/2014The food was wonderful and fairly priced. The server, Jordan was great, friendly with good recommendations. Will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grat spot for pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/20/2014Had a quick dinner with two other adults and a kid. The service was charming and the food was very very good - better than expected and I would go back any time...Special Features:
- Really enjoyed the whole experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014We had a wonderful experience there and will repeat the next time we are in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was OKgrayDined on 7/20/2014Eggs overcooked but coffee was excellent and bacon was plentiful. NoisySpecial Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchJangoDined on 7/20/2014Loved our visit to Dobbs Ferry last Sunday. We ordered the Mushroom Hash, and it was awesome!Special Features:
- Good meal; great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014The cocktails and apps were excellent. The chicken Scarpiello was great. Only wish we had room for dessert.Special Features:
- Great PlaceNateVIPDined on 7/17/2014Very good food and very good service. The 1/2 chicken is excellent and the wedge salad was perfect to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GerryDined on 7/16/2014We were seated upon arriving, greeted warmly, greet service, very good food, we will return.Special Features:
- Dobbs Ferry in San FranciscoLovinLVDined on 7/12/2014The restaurant was amazing! I am from Dobbs Ferry and wanted to check this place out! Food was innovative and excellent. Service from hostess, wait staff and managers was first rate! Definitely give Dobbs Ferry 5 stars.Special Features:
- Come here!Jasmine62884Dined on 7/11/2014Great restaurant and service. Appetizers and dessert was yummy! Not too priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-show choicenineyDined on 7/10/2014Great food, very attentive staff, casual ambiance, great pre-show choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pre-concert dinnerjkmenloparkDined on 7/5/2014This is a great place for a pre-concert dinner. Its just 2-3 blocks from Symphony Hall, and we've been able to get reservations the last 2 times we went to a concert. It looks like a combination of pre-concert diners and more neighborhood diners. We had their Special for the night--which was a Petrale Sole stuffed with salmon mousse in a white sauce. It was FABULOUS!!! Came with spinach. The fish was cooked to perfection -- not too dry -- and the sauce was wonderful. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Better food nearbyfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our cocktails were awful and we should have sent them back. The food was ok but our server was nowhere to be found, we kept having to ask the hostess for help. I would never come back here.
- Good Pre-Theatre DiningMEdiningVIPDined on 7/3/2014Very convenient with attentive, theatre-time-conscious staff. Nice ambiance -- smallish back room is open and airy feeling due to large (clean!) skylight and atrium garden. Food was good, not great, but very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for the hayes street scenekeithDined on 7/3/2014this & several other restaurants make up a perfect set of great places to dine if you are going to the opera, the symphony or one of the other local theaters in the areas
- kadrDined on 7/1/2014Wine was excellent. Everything else was excellent. My only quibble is that the special I ordered - breaded pork chop - was disappointing. Pork piece was thin and deep fried. Nice texture but relatively tasteless. I had a very nice time though as I was having a great talk with my niece.
- Small bites to big nightsmkarizonaVIPDined on 6/29/2014We were actually here twice over the weekend. Once for drinks and dessert and the other time for a small supper. Both times the service was fantastic. I have to say, the highlight of the two trips was the sweet corn chowder. I can't remember a time when I have enjoyed a soup so much! In fact, I broke a long-standing rule and actually had a 2nd bowl instead of dessert. Yep, I've crossed the two-soup line!Special Features:
- Good food, good service, late startDavidDined on 6/28/2014This place was a good find for pre-opera dining. Food was very good, and portions were surprisingly large. Next time we may just dine off the appetizer menu, since they have a large variety of interesting stuff there. I knocked one star off service because we were seated 20 minutes late (which made it a little close for our 8pm curtain time), even though our table was sitting there made up and ready for a good 5 minutes before they seated us there. Someone had to come tell the hostess to seat us at the table they had set up for us. Perhaps they were training a new hostess? Our waitress was good, and she did rush things for us when we told her about our curtain time, so we ended up making the opera with a few minutes to spare.
- Memorable!WhiteBuffaloDined on 6/28/2014The best meal out in a long time! First time eating at this restaurant. Came here to celebrate our anniversary. We are definitely coming back, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.