Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
409 Gough Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dobbsferrysf.com/
- Phone: (415) 551-7700
- Hours of Operation:
Weekend Lunch/Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
Monday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:30 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Dobbs Bar (406 Hayes St):
Monday - Friday 2:00pm - 1:45am
Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 1:45am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mike Yakura
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We have a wide variety of catering options available. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Information may also be found on our website at www.dobbsferrysf.com
- Private Party Facilities: Dobbs Ferry has 3 different rooms that are available for private events. Contact Danny at email@example.com for more information. Information may also be found on our website at www.dobbsferrysf.com
- Private Party Contact: Miranda Sun 4155517700x
- Special Events: Dobbs Ferry is available for private events, banquets, and catering. We have three rooms to accommodate most sized groups. Contact us for more information.
- Cross Street: Hayes St.
- Public Transit: Number 21 Muni stops directly in front of the restaurant. You can also take the 5 or the F and have a short walk.
1/2 Mile walk from Civic Center BART.
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Street parking and public lots within 1 block. Grove and Gough parking lots as well.
A word from Dobbs Ferry Restaurant
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant is an all day and everyday establishment; for locals, by locals; with a welcoming beckon to all of the visitors of this Little City. It is an ambassador of West coast food and East coast style with an "old world" feel, that is uniquely and unequivocally San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dobbs Ferry Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (134)fit for foodies (104)good for groups (43)special occasion (43)vibrant bar scene (29)great for brunch (23)romantic (20)notable wine list (19)hot spot (17)great for lunch (16)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Perfect Pre-show DinnerZizzDined on 11/20/2014Went with my dad and uncle, both foodies, before a show. Hosts and server were very accommodating, and made sure that we got out with plenty of time. We ordered several appetizers and a couple mains. Not only did we not get a single bad/just ok dish, but each thing was above and beyond tasty. Friendly staff, great food, and reasonable prices all ensure that we will be returning soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Our waiter was excellent...attentive, friendly, helpful and non-intrusive...a real professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't hesitate, have dinner at Dobbs Ferry!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014The restaurant's feel when you walk in is vibrant. The front dinning area is lively since there is a bar included. The back dinning room is very appealing, unless there is a large group (6+) of 20-somethings being louder than necessary. But I digress, overall the noise level was tolerable, the service was wonderful and the food is very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have never submitted an Open Table reviewBMarieDined on 11/15/2014What an absolutely lovely dining experience. There were four of us who met up for dinner and everything we ordered was delicious from the appetizers to the dessert. In addition the service was spectacular. Our waitress Rachael was lovely and extremely knowledgeable about cocktails (she introduced us to a new gin), wine and everything else on the menu. What a delight. And the rest of the staff whose names I sadly did not catch were equally lovely. One of the most enjoyabe dining experiences I have had in a long time. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014Dobbs has an incredible staff and they really take care of you. Incredible food AND Celiac friendly. Gluten Free and SAFE! (The chef's wife is Celiac, our waitress was also Celiac.) I always know I can get a safe and satisfying meal at Dobbs. Actually it's a huge treat for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014Dobbs Ferry provided one of the best dining experiences I've ever had! Along with an incredible & very friendly staff of servers, Mike Yakura (Dobbs Ferry chef/owner) is one of the most gracious (and down to earth) restaurant operators you will come across. Dobbs Ferry is a cross between your favorite 'where everyone has a smile' local restaurant & fine dining. Our menu included one of kind meats to deserts so fresh they steamed! My family has dined all over the world but Dobbs Ferry ranks at the top! Thank you again...we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attentive serviceIsabellaDined on 11/13/2014Great place to dine before opera, symphony, etc. The food has gone up a notch. Staff, owner(?) are very solicitous and will make amends if necessary. Noisy but solid dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our pre-performance faveskzmckeownDined on 11/13/2014The dining at Dobbs Ferry is always good, and we especially enjoy it prior to a performance at the Symphony or Opera House. Typically, we are asked if we have a performance to get to, and then the staff ensures we enjoy our dining and get to our show on time. LOVE the fact that the menu is seasonal and that some staples (oh my, the arancini!) always are there. Strongly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hays Valley gemMothersdaydinnerDined on 11/12/2014I discussed veered this restaurant by searching online for restaurants near the SF Opera. I went there after a dress rehearsal performance of the opera and was quite happy with it overall. The food was delicious from pasta dishes, soups, salads, a entrees. They also offer a few pizzas. It was not an extensive menu but choices were varied enough that my small group found things they enjoyed. The waiter at as helpful and friendly and the overall service was great. They have a nice selection of west coast wines and also have a full bar. It is not a huge place but cozy. We ate dinner early on a Wednesda Reservations are a good idea but there were also many walk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/9/2014Convenient to the symphony with a nice brunch menu. The bottomless mimosas, bellinis and blood marks were watery, but the food was consistently good. We liked the bacon and egg pizza especially well, along with the bean dip and fresh chips. Not the quickest service, but if you allow time for a leisurely meal it's very enjoyable.
- Impeccable servicePaloAltoDinerDined on 11/8/2014Our waiter was extremely attentive, well informed, and helpful with menu selection and wine pairing. Food was delicious and well presented. The octopus salad and seared day scallops had a bit more salt than I would have liked.Special Features:
- perfect pre-symphony dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/8/2014Great food, great service, lovely cocktails, and a block away from the Symphony. What more do you need? The small bites are perfect for sharing, the appetizers are nicely sized for an individual, the mains are well-balanced. You can even get a soft-serve ice cream cone to go if you'd like. The staff is excellent about ensuring that the meal is perfectly paced to get you to your show in time. They know the distance to all of the local events and their respective start times, and ensure that everything is neatly wrapped up (but never rushed) for you to get there.Special Features:
- EnjoyableenjoyseatingoutDined on 11/7/2014Such a tasty menu at a fairly reasonable price. I'd come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as it gets.luv2dineDined on 11/6/2014VERY good food. I repeat: VERY good food and at a decent price.Special Features:
- Dobbs Ferry2SFdinersDined on 11/6/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Dobbs Ferry. We have been there many times and each time it has been delightful. The service was wonderful, the food was perfectly prepared. The manager is so friendly and delightful as is all the serving staff. We will be back. 25SFdinersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to theater venuejbbbDined on 11/3/2014We were a party of 5. Everyone very much enjoyed the dishes we ordered and shared. Oh my, try the bone marrow, the best. The drinks were all top drawer. We were seeing a City Lights event, so close by, but they took mind of the time for us. Would return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentSandy94901VIPDined on 11/3/2014We looked forward to returning to Dobbs Ferry which is our first choice for pre-theater dining. We love the chicken and it did not disappoint...absolutely delicious. Be aware that the dish is huge and easily enough for two (or great leftovers). Also, we tried the cauliflower as an appetizer...amazing!!! The restaurant was empty. I can only think the reason is there are so many choices in Hayes Valley and Dobbs Ferry may not be quite as hip as the rest.Special Features:
- Great spot for brunch before operaBeersnobDined on 11/2/2014This was a good find. We needed a brunch before a matinee and this was perfect. The service was excellent and they were aware of Our timing. The food was not expensive and it was delish. We will return.Special Features:
- small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014we ordered starters and a cocktail prior to the opera, don't want to fall asleep. we had the chips and dip- we think the chips should be thicker. also had the rice balls, pate and the salmon bruschetta- that waswonderful. we will go back.Special Features:
- Too heavy on the hamAnonymousIVDined on 10/29/2014I could not resist trying the ham and eggs pizza. The treatment of the eggs was superb. This was also true of the choice for ham, but it was piled on to excess. I appreciate that salt is part of the quality of a good ham, but one would not make a thick sandwich out of that kind of ham. The salt had me up for a good portion of the night trying to wish it away with liquid. Also, I really appreciate being kept at a distance from the baseball crowd at the bar (even if they could be heard across that distance)!Special Features:
- Giants RuleCPAFoodieVIPDined on 10/29/2014Talk about two different crowds - the opera/symphony crowd having dinner and the baseball crowd in the bar. Well, it was the night of the 7th game of the World Series. The host was actually a little rude to the bar patrons since they were crowding the host table profusely apologizing to me....I chuckled and said - you did it to yourselves - having a TV here tonight! Dinner was good - those not as good as it has been - I think even the chefs were watching the game in the kitchen. Still a great place pre-symphony/opera - just maybe not on the night of the 7th game of the World Series.
- OutstandingcultureloverDined on 10/24/2014I continue to use Dobbs Ferry when I have opera or symphony - great restaurant, I can't say enough about it. The outstanding recommendations I give it are well-deserved.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/23/2014Excellent pre-opera/symphony spot. Pizza is superb. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- A new favoriteGGinSFDined on 10/22/2014My boyfriend and I visited Dobbs Ferry for his birthday and it was our second time there. The food is amazing, drinks are great and the service is top notch. Will definitely visit yet again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flexible HospitalityrevmaryDined on 10/22/2014Our group of four was looking for a place to watch the World Series game. The staff I spoke to ahead of time was terrific, suggesting options and reserving a table in the front room adjacent to the restaurant's bar, within sight of a TV. Upon arrival, however, the hostess let us know there was still a table for 4 available in the bar, where two TVs (on mute) would be showing the game. Our server Rachel was wonderful all evening. The food was creative, delicious, served in good order...we were well cared for. Highly recommend this home away from home. Only two blocks from Davies Hall, so a great find for concert nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dobbs Ferrysbr1pianomnaVIPDined on 10/19/2014This place is a gem as the food, service and setting is great as prelude to the SF Opera Sunday matinees. We are frequent diners and appreciate their attentiveness to service and food preparation.Special Features:
- So pleased!NickiVIPDined on 10/19/2014Our Sunday brunch at Dobbs Ferry was great. They did a grand job of handling our needs, including the wishes of the two children in our group. They made us feel that they were happy to have us, and the food was delicious! Fortunately for those of us who were headed to the opera, Dobbs Ferry was just an easy walk away. Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Great location,food,drinks,service!LizInTheCityDined on 10/18/2014A short walk to the opera, ballet, and theatre venues. We'll be going back to Dobbs Ferry.Special Features:
- Charming setting, attentive serviceTomSDined on 10/17/2014Went to Dobbs Ferry for our anniversary dinner. The service was excellent - charming and attentive but not hovering. The noise level was modest. One of the best Manhattans you'll ever have. The food was absolutely delicious - perfectly done and nicely presented. The only negative was that it's hard to find a heart-healthy menu option. Some dishes are richer than they need to be. Overall, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Still good before a concertAnonymousIVDined on 10/15/2014Attentiveness to performance start times is still a major asset in my book.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third timerobertcommandayDined on 10/15/2014The quality fine if the tagliatelle were not a bit under al dente. Only criticism is that the menu is not changed really, week to week.Special Features:
- Pre - performanceChesterVIPDined on 10/15/2014That's the main reason people are there and I think the restaurant has gotten used to and lazy about the crowd. The food is OK, the space is great, the service is a bit over the top. That being said it is reliable for the 6 PM crowd.Special Features:
- Good foodDBA1VIPDined on 10/13/2014I ate more than I had planned on. I started with the arancini, something I would normally have passed on. The description of the sauce was what won me over and I'm glad I did it. The caper/anchovy butter sauce was perfection. I could happily pour it on almost everything. I followed that with a delicious pear and pecan salad and finished with the night's special. It was a tomato based stew with pork belly, sausage and heirloom potatoes. Again, it was delicious. This was my first visit and it won't be my last.Special Features:
- A favoriteDenniVIPDined on 10/10/2014A neighborhood gem. I don't come here's enough but when I do I always regret not frequenting DF more often. Food and service excel. They know how to value customers and you feel it every time. Dishes are wonderful. Had family visit SF and I knew DF would make it a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Food great, service stretchedilannaVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had dinner here before the opera and found the food to be creative/fun and flavorful but the service to be stretched. Our waiter was hard to find and unresponsive. We had to retrieve the wine we had ordered for dinner (which arrived after we were nearly done with our dinner).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent once again.OperaGoerDined on 10/10/2014As in September, we had a pre-opera dinner at DF-NY. The food was wonderful, and the service (our waiter was Nathan) was first rate. I had the steak (perfectly done medium) and my spouse had the stuffed shells (as good in any Italian restaurant, if not better). I would not hesitate to reserve a table next month!Special Features:
- Chef knows his stuff!ETfromNYVIPDined on 10/9/2014I love Dobbs Ferry restaurant! It's the perfect place to come before a City Arts & Lectures event, and any other time. From the minute we walked in, the service was wonderful starting with the hosts. We had a lovely server who was very helpful about getting us out on time. The best part though, is the food -- there is clearly a chef in the kitchen. Since I am a gluten-free person, I made a special request to sub polenta for the pasta with tomato-braised beef short ribs -- not only were they happy to accommodate, but the dish was over the top delicious. As were the brussel sprouts, the burrata app and my friend's brown sugar brined pork loin. This place is a gem.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful!FoodRequired1VIPDined on 10/3/2014Had an enjoyable meal. Great food server, enjoyed his recommendations and especially his giving us the recipe!Special Features:
- DisappointingmccalmoVIPDined on 10/1/2014We went with friends. It's a perfectly adequate restaurant in some sense. But since we live in San Francisco and there are great restaurants everywhere, it just should be better. Or at last that is my view. Everyone was polite and friendly. Gough is a hugely busy street, but it was reasonable indoors. There was some smoking on the street that was a bit annoying for part of the meal.Special Features:
- DrJackVIPDined on 9/30/2014Our favorite place for dinner before the Opera. Consistently flavorful food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.