55 Carmine Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
KoreanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://dohwanyc.com/
- Phone: 2124141224x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00 - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday, Tuesday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Korean
- Executive Chef: Myung Ja Kwak
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from Do Hwa
Korean home-cooking in West Village, specialties include home-made seasonal kimchi, delectable seafood pancakes, braised pork ribs, spicy squid sautés and Korean barbecue. Dine at a grill table by the flip-open windows facing Carmine Street or enjoy a cozy corner banquet table. Casual dining that will gladly accommodate large parties. Lunch plates and happy hour offerings with a full service bar where neighborhood regulars like Quentin Tarantino are sure to be found slurping down a chilled soju martini.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Do Hwa reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (19)romantic (5)hot spot (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- loved the grill tableEllaDined on 10/7/2014try the pepper Margarita! I really loved the frill table and the meet was so so good!!Special Features:
- Nice place, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The restaurant is well appointed and comfortable. The food is delicious accompanied by service that is courteous and efficient. Moderately priced, this place is must see for a great Korean Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014They have the best bibimbaps in downtown manhattan!Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Been to Do Hwa 4 times now and every single time is great! We never have to wait too long for a table, they have quick efficient servers who are knowledgeable about the menu and make great suggestions.Special Features:
- Service not up to scratchCbnmDined on 8/30/2014The waitress at the time seemed tired and unmotivated to explain to us how the food was meant to be eaten. As a first time Korean eater, It would of been helpful to get an introduction about the cuisine or a recommendation on what to order. As it was a restaurant co-owned by Quentin Tarantino, I expected more.Special Features:
- DeliciousJayeetzDined on 8/22/2014Inventive drinks, great barbecued spicy pork. Try the japchae as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014Never disappoints, good/predictable Korean food. was very accomodating to the vegetarian in our dining party.
- Great find!AmyKingDined on 8/7/2014Friends in town wanted to try Korean - found this spot in the West Village online. Great reviews across the board proved correct. Friends enjoyed the tasty food and friendly wait staff - thank you!Special Features:
- Great place..OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2014Enjoyed the food and service was very good. Only 2 Grill Tables so make sure when making reservation you ask for a grill table!Special Features:
- Great BibimbapeclecticdinerDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I both ordered the Bibimbap. The stone pot was nice and HOT. The vegetables appeared very fresh and the beef was tasty. It was great! We saw other diners order a variety of dishes that appeared delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best!DanHVIPDined on 7/12/2014We wherein the mood for some spicy Korean BBQ and did Do Hwa deliver...not only on the appropriate level of spicy-ness (you adjust by adding more/less chili pepper paste as you want) but overall deliciousness and attentive service. Highly recommend the kimchi scallion pancakeand beef dumplings to start. The side dishes are all very tasty, be careful as some are extremely spicy. We shared everything , which is really the way to go as it allows you to taste so much more. We had the bulgogi and bibimbap (hot, not cold) with fired egg on top. Both were outstanding. We'll def be backSpecial Features:
- POOR SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Poor Service BAD food. Wait staff was rude. We wanted to be guided on the different dishes, what was spicy, what was popular. The waitress was annoyed and not helpful. The room was not busy so she did not have many tables to wait on, she could have helped us and we might have ordered something that actually had flavor.
- rickyo212Dined on 7/5/2014My friends were a bit reluctant to try something different but we all thought everything was very goodI would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 190 reviews are from the Do Hwa reviews archive.
- Visiting an old "friend"visitornycVIPDined on 6/21/2014Saturday night, my husband and I dined at Do Hwa. It used to be in our "rotation" when we lived in the West Village. We decided to try it again and realized it should never have left the rotation. He had udon with seafood, I had cold buckwheat noodles with beef. While both were delicious, I thought I had the winner! We shall put Do Hwa back in the rotation, as the service was excellent and unobtrusive and the ambiance quite comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vegetarian optionsPrettypickieDined on 6/15/2014We went to do hwa for Father's Day and it was perfect. Not too loud so we could have pleasant conversation. Tables not too close so you don't feel like you are dining with the people next to you. We had the vegetable scallion pancake, rice cakes in chili sauce and crispy seaweed squares for appetizers, all were delicious. Two of us had the vegetable bibimbop which was delicious. My husband had the salmon, also very good and I had the grilled cod which was amazing. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/7/2014ordered the classic Korean bibimbob which was mushy & not very flavorful -- disappointing.
- Very friendlyfulllifeDined on 5/23/2014My friend and I enjoyed a late evening dinner. The squid bibimbop was delicious. Actually, all the flavors we experienced were phenomenal. Our server Mira is a delight as is Ivana. You could tell that the team is very supportive of each other.Special Features:
- First Time Here - OutstandingFrankGVIPDined on 5/3/2014Our daughter has mentioned Do Hwa many times, and last night we had the opportunity to try it. The food is great, well seasoned and nicely prepared. The cold buckwheat noodle app is delicious, but the scallion pancake was a tad salty. The Dak Dori Tang and the Bibimbop were amazing. Definitely be back!Special Features:
- Menu for fourAureoleBarVIPDined on 4/30/2014Do Hwa's menu for four is a nice medley of appetizers and barbecue items. It's a great place to start for novices at Korean restaurants. The scallion pancakes appetizer and the pork barbecue were especially tasty.
- Must have Buckwheat NoodlesBlooming2VIPDined on 4/27/2014We very much enjoyed our meal. We've been there before and will definitely go back. The service was great. The drinks were interesting. Everything was fresh and tasty. The kimchi is delicious and the buckwheat noodles are our favorite dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday treatAborb22VIPDined on 4/22/2014After being in the city for a few days sampling various cuisines, I had a craving for Korean food just like I've enjoyed in Seoul. We booked one of the grill tables for our party of 5, to celebrate birthdays for 2 of us. Try a few of their signature drinks . They were great. The various appetizers were delicious and the waitress was very helpful in recommending portions and options for our BBQ selection. This is a great place for a group dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favourite Korean. A bitJoePublic1VIPDined on 4/13/2014My favourite Korean. A bit pricey for what you get but so much more civilized than K Town. I'm a sucker for interior design and I love the space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Korean restaurantritchiDined on 4/11/2014This Korean restaurant is very nice and the food is very good, I recommendSpecial Features:
- Gem of placeCTH08Dined on 4/1/2014Had a good Happy Hour, was quiet with plenty of sitting. great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014The food is generally good, but the service was very slow and not attentive. The back part of the dining is extremely noisy; impossible to maintain a normal conversation. Too bad.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/17/2014I've been coming to Do Hwa for years, and they've always had solid service, delicious food, and great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014It's been a long time since my wife and I went to Do Hwa (we used to live closer to the neighborhood), but we've gone again a couple of times, and it is as wonderful as it ever was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RudeShandaVIPDined on 3/5/2014The waitress had a terrible attitude from the moment we sat down. This was a neighborhood restaurant for me but I will not return. The food isn't good enough to put up with the rude service.
- This was my first disappointingLuckyDogNYCVIPDined on 3/4/2014This was my first disappointing experience at Do Hwa. I've been there several times without hesitation, but the food and service took a big nosedive on this recent visit. I'm hoping it was an aberration as I've long been a fan.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, authentic Korean foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014I'm Korean...and this is probably the best Korean restaurant in Manhattan. Very close to my mother's cooking. This place is better than any restaurant in NYC KTown. True.Special Features:
- best food everfreddiefDined on 2/21/2014The flavors at Do Hwa will knock your taste bud socks off. It's very loud on a Friday night, but that's to be expected. The food is extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not get the reserved tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014We reserved a grill table and did not get it. The interiors and the ambience in general make it not worth it if not for the grill.Special Features:
- Best Korean food Ihave everAnnwellVIPDined on 2/16/2014Best Korean food Ihave ever had…fresh and traditional with a foodie slant!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Korean best food everKader2JeanDined on 2/14/2014I've been there only twice. 1st with friends and 2nd time with my girlfriend and it was so great. This restaurant is awesome for healthy good food. The best is the grill table you are making your own bbq.. A little bit expensive but so great you won't regretSpecial Features:
- Good food, but not hot enough...DarthMikeDined on 2/7/2014Just was expecting to have a good night grilling and introducing some friends to Korean food. Despite my request we didn't get a grill table. I realize that they say that they cannot accommodate every request for a grill table, but it would be at least nice if they inform us that it wouldn't be the case ahead of time so we can make other choices if we would like to. Or even letting us know that it would be very unlikely etc. The service was super star level. They didn't drop all the food at once, but they were very attentive. The food was great; however, don't expect anything but tourist-level of hot. Otherwise I have no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible waitress and salty foodMFP85Dined on 1/24/2014Went for my birthday dinner with my boyfriend. He was only given one chopstick and a spoon to eat so he asked for another chopstick. We had ordered beef dumplings which tasted like chicken and veggie dumplings but the chopstick never arrived for my bf to start eating. 10 minutes later we ended up having to ask the bus boy/ guy that brought us our entries who finally brought him another chopstick right away. We ordered the beef bulgogi from the kitchen which was overly salty and the classic bimbop which was all vegetables and had barely any rice. Best thing from our meal was my pepper margarita and the sweet oranges we got at the end of our meal. I typically love Korean food but worst birthday dinner ever!
- Mediocre foodracheliaVIPDined on 1/10/2014Came here for my birthday with a large group. They were able to accommodate us last minute even though we arrived late. The service was good. It wasn't the best Korean food I've ever had, almost downright mediocre. We had the beef boneless short ribs, the potato pancake appetizer, jalapeno chicken, and some kind of soup. I really cant recommend any of it. My guests had a similar reaction to their dishes, even the bippenbop. I do not think I'll be back. Too bad too because they were so nice.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2014we had a nice evening with very good food... service was fast and 'helpful'. thanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been here a coupleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/30/2013I have been here a couple of times and am always happy with what I get. Great cocktails and lovely food. Service is always excellent and I love the snacks that they bring out before the meal. The barbeque is definitely my favorite... so be sure to pick one of those.Special Features:
- Solid mealJlw232Dined on 12/28/2013Food arrived very quickly (almost too quick). Ingredients were very fresh and flavors were excellent. Excellent beer list and drink menu for an Asian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.