Ditch Plains - West Village
29 Bedford St.
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ditch Plains - West Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ditch-plains.com/
- Phone: 2126330202x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00AM - 4:00PM
Dinner: Daily: 4:00PM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Marc Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Ditch Plains caters! From a small get together to a full-serviced event, we can do it all. Contact email@example.com for more info!
A word from Ditch Plains - West Village
Chef Marc Murphy's Ditch Plains offers fresh seafood and the best of beach dining - from oyster shooters and lobster rolls to a grilled fish of the day plus celebrated specialties such as the Ditch Dog (a hot dog smothered with mac & cheese), fish tacos, spicy Bloody Marys, a selection of beers on tap and the famously well-priced wine program that Murphy is so well known for.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Ditch Plains - West Village reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (11)good for groups (11)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)hot spot (2)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- MediocreCoreyDined on 9/6/2014The food was OK for what it was, although the fries needed salt and the fish tacos were a bit bland and could have used some sauce. The beer list was very good and the sangria was surprisingly spicy and delicious. The prices were a bit high though for the type of food and relatively casual nature of the restaurant- $21 for 3 tacos and a few extra bucks for a dollop of guacamole that probably should have been included in the first place? Seems steep even for NY.Special Features:
- Try the fried pickles!EaggyDined on 7/28/2014I have actually gone back to this lovely restaurant a couple of times! The fried pickles are a great way to start your meal...and I loved the seafood salad! The burgers are great, too! I think you will return more than once, too!Special Features:
- Fanciest mac n' cheese in townMikkelDined on 7/27/2014The lobster mac n' cheese is out of this world and I would recommend it to everybody going to this awesome place. Very stylish interior, friendly and very professional serving - all around a fantastic spot which we definitely will be coming back to next time we're in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Horrible ServiceFoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014We were four people and decided to try lots of amazing food and over ordered. The lobster roll was delicious, as was the lobster Mac and cheese and jalapeño tater tots. The service was awful. My husband tried to joke to lighten the mood but that didn't work. He only came to take the order. He never filled waters or asked how our dinner was or if we needed anything. At the end he dropped the check and didn't ask if we wanted dessert. we paid and no one said good night and nobody during the meal came to ask how we were doing. Was there management? The bartender was very nice. we left thinking there are lots of places in NYC with great food that we would rather spend our money and would appreciate our business. We went elsewhere for dessert!Special Features:
- Yum!kkkkkVIPDined on 7/23/2014Food was delish! Great place for a summer meal! Great seafood!Special Features:
- Happy spot for summer!MakeMineaMadeleineDined on 7/3/2014We were looking for a friendly, informal spot with good food. Tasty, updated takes on some of our favorite foods from misspent youths - we felt younger, happier,and well fed!Special Features:
- FoodDiner678Dined on 7/3/2014The hotdogs werent so bad. The french fries though could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot hot hotMaryVIPDined on 6/25/2014We had a 6:30 reservation on a warm day recently and, when We arrived, it was warmer inside than out. The waiter was unapologetic about how hot it was and sort of suggested it would get better. The fans were on (always a bad sign). We should have left but decided to stick it out. The food was good, but when you are uncomfortable you don't focus on that. The manager should have come around and apologized at the very least. Won't go again this summer. Might go again in winter.Special Features:
- Casual and FunMozzieDined on 6/20/2014I went with a large group to celebrate a birthday. The atmosphere was laid back, vibrant and classy, and the food was delicious! We ordered a variety of snacks, entrees and drinks and everything was fantastic. Great for a casual night with friends. And the corner location in the West Village is perfect!Special Features:
- Burger is dryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014I think the price is a little high for a dry burger. we were 9 people, we all ordered their burgers. We all concurred that the burgers were no goodSpecial Features:
- Delish!BloodyBrunchDined on 6/7/2014Been to DP many times now and I am always satisfied with the food and services. Definitely good for small groups or to go on a first date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss the dogs!nltbucsDined on 6/5/2014Cool place that's small and fun. I had 2 dogs with Mac and chesse, bacon and jalapeños over top. To die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special lobster roll.fussy4VIPDined on 6/4/2014Great lunch experience. the food is very good. The shrimp cocktail, deviled eggs and crab dip were delicious. I ordered the lobster roll as iit is there specialty and it is special. chunks of lobster meat, seasoned just right with sweet potato fries was so good. i would definitely go back for lunch and check it out for dinner.Special Features:
- The following 61 reviews are from the Ditch Plains - West Village reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/19/2014It's not possible to buy a glass of wine here, only a bottle or a half bottle. We found a bottle we liked and a price of "13/30" and, probably owing to inattention, assumed 13 was for the half bottle and 30 for the whole. But actually, the notation was a confusing meld of the wine's date and the price of a half bottle. So we paid $30 instead of $13. But most troubling was that the waitress admitted it was a common mistake! So is this a case of intentional menu confusion? That's something I very much don't approve of.
- Very Good SpotAliMarieVIPDined on 4/11/2014We went for a birthday dinner and had a really great meal. Everyone loved their food and the service was good as well. We would all go back.Special Features:
- Exceeds expectations againMarykateDined on 4/11/2014Ditch Plaibs once again provided excellent service and food. I'll be back again for sure.Special Features:
- FOOD WAS OK, NOT GREAT FOR A GROUPLynnieOOODined on 4/10/2014The food was ehhh , I did not love anything that I ate there. Not good spot for groups better for 2 people, but bar food is not great. Probably a better spot just to grab a drink.Special Features:
- diasppointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2014i was very very excited about this place, as i am a huge Marc Murphy fan. THe service was really slow, but perhaps thats part of the whole "surfing" laid back experience. i think that is OK, but at times it seems like we were forgotten about and just sitting there. THe food was a fun menu, but probably not worth the price listed on the menu. I know they can do that because of namesake, reputation and location but im being honest about value.Special Features:
- Seafood with a twist of funAllisonTawil87VIPDined on 3/29/2014A very refreshing, more casual type of seafood restaurant for NYC. I came here for dinner and loved the oysters, mussels, fish tacos and ditch dogs. I'll definitely be back again - for lunch and dinner. Not sure I would have a craving to eat this kinda stuff for Brunch but wouldn't turn down an invite for that :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never had an experience hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/25/2014Never had an experience here I didn't like-- until this week. Dinner on a Tuesday- it was surprisingly crowded. We waited about 10 minutes before the hostess came to greet us. Once seated, we waited another 10 minutes for water and then our waitress (who was also serving the remainder of the restaurant) told us she'd be back. 10-15 minutes goes by and she returns, we order our drinks and meal - 2 diet cokes, 1 laguinitas and 3 chicken burgers. No Laguinitas. Soda arrives- tastes like smoked wood. We ask if we could have a fresh glass- waitress says, with a snarky tone "Are you sure it tastes bad? Anyway, I won't refill it, it will taste the same". Fine. Burgers come out they're tasty as always. Waited 30 minutes for the check.
- Good timeBrianDined on 3/25/2014Dinner was excellent! Fired pickles, burgers and ditch dogs. Good wine, and a great environment to sit with friends and have fun. Great NYC experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014The food and the decor were pleasant enough, but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place but no winesTinabirdVIPDined on 3/10/2014Very nice place but no wines by the glass is a drag....Special Features:
- Solid cocktails and appetizers.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/1/2014Solid cocktails and appetizers. Mains (fish tacos + fish & chips) were pedestrian. Service was truly uneven -- asked by two different waiters within three minutes of sitting down if we were ready to order drinks, followed by an immediate question of if we were ready to order our meals. Meanwhile, the restaurant was steadily clearing out, thus no immediate reason to rush our dining experience. At the end of the meal, it took over twenty minutes to get our check. Overall, it was a decent experience, but am not in a rush to return.
- Really good food, lots ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014Really good food, lots of shareable items. Really good service, super nice staff. Busy, but not too crowded for a late Sunday brunch. I recommend the reviled eggs with fried oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant place near Film ForumOJPJVIPDined on 2/14/2014We went to dinner here before a film at the Film Forum the other night, and had a good meal, and some items were excellent. My husband had the seafood Cobb salad, and enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the roasted oysters. The service was attentive, and even though it's small, and the tables are close together, we had no trouble hearing one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our service was interruptedopentableDined on 1/11/2014Our service was interrupted by a surprise health inspection. Of course, my party understood that this could not be controlled, but the restaurant's repose to the interruption was subpar -- they offered no explanation, did not apologize for our delay in food (about one hour) or offer us anything as a thank you for our patience. The food was excellent as usual, but it took us so long to get it that one of my friend's had to leave to catch her train.
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013One of Marc Murphy's little gems. I love everything on the menu especially the fried pickles and the lobster roll.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Brunch in West VilliagebestbruncherDined on 11/24/2013Service was horrific-- waiters think they work in some surf shop in southern California. They don't even make cappuccino--the foundation of any sort of quality brunch. They do not even have pancakes—I felt like I was in some sort of alternate universe. Save your money and time. DITCH Ditch Plains. It quiet there, but after I dined I realized why nobody ever goes—which why it was so quiet.
- Highly Recommendstefanie19Dined on 10/12/2013We chose this spot for a bachelorette party. I am so glad we made this decision. The prices were reasonable and the food was amazing. At the end of the night, the waitress (who was lovely the whole evening) gave us smore's for the bride-to-be. It was such a great night.Special Features:
- A no-brainer for a great brunchkjbennettDined on 9/29/2013Ditch Plains has become my go-to for a totally relaxed and delicious brunch with friends. The service is outstanding, the menu is eclectic and the food is fantastic. Did I mention the Tequilla/Jalapeno/ Sangria? Well it's YUMMMMMMMMMY (especial with a side of fried jalapenos to munch on while you wait for your food). This place is a no-brainer for great food and a laid back atmosphere.Special Features:
- LOVELY LOBSTER SPECIALLOBSTERLOVER1Dined on 9/23/2013Three of my friends and I went to DP on a Monday evening for the Lobster special. We had the Warm Crab Dip as an appetizer, it was great and chock full of crab. The lobsters were steamed to perfection, the meat sweet and tender. They were served with a chorrizo sausage, a boiled potato, corn on the cob, cole slaw and drawn butter. The pear martinis were fantastic. The only complaint I had was the hard wooden booths. My replaced hips were crying when I got up to leave. Next time, I'll bring a pillow. I will definitely go back for more lobster! Friendly staff, attentive and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite brunches ever!MeredithHDined on 9/21/2013A friend told me about this place and we made reservations for brunch on Saturday before a show on Broadway. We arrived at 11:30 and our table was ready. It was pleasantly quiet. Our server was precious and very attentive. I had the french toast, which was brilliant and a mimosa. When the bill arrived, we noticed that our drinks were not included on the tab. Being the honest southern women that we are:), we told our server promptly who was very thankful and treated us to dessert of smores! I would highly recommend Ditch Plains and plan to go back in November!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below par for the price and nabeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/29/2013We were there for an early dinner (6:30 reservation) before a concert nearby, and it wasn't very busy. The guy I thought was our server seemed to be too busy training a new person to stop at our table, although the guy who seemed to be the bus boy filled in admirably even though it didn't seem to be his job. A couple of other people who worked there were just standing around. We liked the deviled eggs and my girlfriend liked her sandwich, but the fish in my fish & chips was extremely greasy, and even worse, incredibly bland, as was the "tartar sauce". And nobody bothered to ask how things were. I was kind of excited to go here because of the surfing connection and the seafood, but I gotta say it was an epic fail...
- Fabulous seafooditaliangirlDined on 8/22/2013Yummy oyster sandwich. Could have eaten two...... Ahi tuna burger was luscious. Don't leave without having the sangria with jalapeno tequila - beyond good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was pretty horrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2013The service was pretty horrible. The fruit salad had canned fruit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehMissScarletDined on 8/12/2013Decent lobster rolls, but mediocre drinks, unremarkable nachos and sloooooww, inattentive service.
- Neighborhood GemRocketDined on 6/20/2013Very good food and service. Enterigetic bar scene and a very accommodating wait staff. Fun place to go to in a very cozy neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was a fun experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/10/2013It was a fun experience at Ditch Plains with good seaside food, pleasant ambiance and great service. I will try this place again.Special Features:
- Food was decent but the servicemickeyDined on 5/22/2013Food was decent but the service was not good at all. Very slow and not very attentive. This is while it was not crowded.