Ditch Plains UWS
100 West 82nd Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Ditch Plains UWS
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ditch-plains.com/
- Phone: 2123624815x
- Hours of Operation:
Thursday & Friday 5pm-10pm, Saturday 11am-10pm, Sunday 11am-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Marc Murphy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Benchmarc Events is happy to cater your next rooftop party, wedding, rehearsal dinner,
birthday party or any other event you have in mind. We provide a full service catering
staff and help coordinate all aspects of any party, including rentals, decor, music and
anything else you might desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Group dining and Private dining menus are available.
- Private Party Contact: Benchmarc Events by Marc Murphy 2126258270x
- Special Events: Group dining and Private dining menus are available.
A word from Ditch Plains UWS
Chef Marc Murphy's Ditch Plains offers fresh seafood and the best of beach dining - from oyster shooters and lobster rolls to a grilled fish of the day plus celebrated specialties such as the Ditch Dog (a hot dog smothered with mac & cheese), fish tacos, spicy Bloody Marys, a selection of beers on tap and the famously well-priced wine program that Murphy is so well known for.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Ditch Plains UWS - Best Restaurants in Upper West Side ›
Ditch Plains UWS reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (30)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (16)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (13)fit for foodies (11)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- uwsdaveVIPDined on 9/13/2014Ditch Plains is great for a variety of reasons. Aside from offering a lot of food choices, the staff is friendly and eager to please. We enjoy bringing out of town friends because it is laid back and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Only for the stroller setalioDined on 9/6/2014The menu does not match what is listed online. There are several items that have been removed. This is basically burgers, hot dogs and mac and cheese. The entire menu is a child's menu. The decor consists of shabby wooden benches and bad lighting. I don't recommend this place unless you are bringing strollers. Definitely not for grown ups.Special Features:
- TerribleJunmai123Dined on 8/23/2014I have to say I have rarely had a meal this bad in NYC. The food was terrible - everything needed salt and pepper just to give it some taste. The deviled eggs were tasteless, the nachos were stuck to the plate with cold melted cheese, and the crab dip just didn't taste good. I ordered the grilled fish, which was overcooked, chewy and bland. My friends could barely eat the lobster rolls. The Smore's dessert comes as a squashed up aluminum package with some melted mess inside. I know this place is informal, but that doesn't mean you don't have to have good food. Also, they only serve half-bottles of wine, so by the time everyone has just one or two glasses, it really drives the bill up. It was the worst combo: expensive and terrible.
- Disappointing Beach foodpairof8sVIPDined on 8/22/2014Well, I was all excited to try a casual fun evening with beach type food, especially after finding out it was a quasi-celebrity chef. I was very disappointed with the room design...just a lot of wood with no warmth, or comfort. Cocktails were the best part of the evening. The crab dip had a funky taste and was not edible. Pigs in blanket were fine, not special. Deviled Eggs were fine but the shrimp that came with them tasted as if they were pulled from a bag. My lobster roll had plenty of fresh lobster on a decent piece of bread, and not slathered with mayo, but was devoid of any flavor. The hotdogs were good and the mac & cheese was tasty. (Hard to screw those up). I could have made a much better dinner at home for a WHOLE lot less.
- Crab BoilOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014My fiancée and I came for the crab boil last night (8/21/2014). The chef, at our request, came to the table and showed us through demonstration how to get the most meat out of the crab. Our hush puppies came out undercooked and were runny. However, our server gladly exchanged them for a new order. Crabs were great and the ambiance was wonderful. However, Upon receiving our bill, we were shocked to see that we were charged $55.00 each for the crab boil. When I called 2 weeks ago to make the reservation, we were quoted $40 per person, not $55. Needless to say, we felt mislead and a bit upset. We chose not to say anything though, paid our bill and left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Friendly Not Food FriendlySRK1234Dined on 8/10/2014I have enjoyed the West Village location and was very disappointed with this location. Given that it's on the UWS, I expect it to be family-friendly. In fact, I chose this restaurant because our party included a child. I didn't expect to find TVs at the booths and the food to be so disappointing. I ordered the chopped salad with shrimp and the deviled eggs. The salad was poorly dressed and the shrimp was flavorless. Doubly disappointing given the focus on seafood. The deviled eggs were delicious, though. My friend ordered the chicken burger and was underwhelmed. I hope restaurants understand that family-friendly should not mean the food is secondary.Special Features:
- Poor chemistryshredderDined on 8/7/2014Maybe we just hit this place on the wrong day at the wrong time. But nothing was right, not one thing. On the upside, it's clean and the tables are spacious. They have nice dishes and glassware. Unfortunately the list of downside is much longer. the menu is basically junk food. The service is beyond glacial. The quality of the food is about equal to a local mall. I can't see how they intend to remain open unless they up their game dramatically.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014I'd been building up this brunch in my mind for weeks, probably to an unfair degree. It exceeded those expectations. Everything on the table was delicious & the service was exceptional. The mimosas are some of the best & freshest I've ever had. My friend thought the bloody marys were perfect. The cheddar grits (not on the brunch menu) were decadent. The hash browns were super flavorful. I couldn't have asked for a better brunch. Can't recommend highly enough!Special Features:
- Crab BoilGrumsDinesDined on 7/17/2014The all you can eat crab boil is awesome! The crabs are good, although they could use more seasoning (old bay, salt, or something). The jalapenos hush puppies are phenomenal, especially while hot/warm. I would recommend the crab boil to everyone who likes shellfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodljsUWS92VIPDined on 7/11/2014I've been to Ditch Plains a few times now and each time the food has been great. The menu has something for everyone - adults and kids. Drinks on the menu are fun and tasty. If you do have young children who shriek out loud or cry, this place has loads more who do too, but it's really early in the evening, if so. If you go w/o children, go later or sit at or near the bar and you'll have a nice time. Staff is very attentive and very helpful.Special Features:
- Great little hidden spot!CarlyVIPDined on 7/10/2014I wanted to explore the UWS and found Ditch Plains on a list of "must-trys" for the UWS and it didn't disappoint! The crab dip was delicious! I loved the ambiance and decor. I was there early evening so it wasn't too busy yet but it was starting to pick up when we left. I'm sure it has a great bar vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointedSeafoodshackloversDined on 7/5/2014Only one type of oysters (server said customers think west coast oysters are too salty and briny); "boneless" fried chicken with gristle and bone pieces; lobster roll very heavy on the tarragon; server friendly, but not knowledgeable; stale sweet potato chips -- we were really looking forward to Ditch Plains -- high expectations and very disappointed. Will not return or recommend to others.
- Nice Saturday afternoon brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Great smoky burger, good fish sandwich, tasty steak & eggs (the steak was overcooked, not med-rare as requested, but tater tots were awesome. The spicy sangria was a hit! Overall, a good meal and our server was awesomely nice and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good as I expectednone23Dined on 6/29/2014Food was okay, but not impressive. Service was good. Burger was okay. kids food wasn't so great.Special Features:
- Very ImpressedSteveVIPDined on 6/22/2014This is a lovely, open space, that looks and feels more like a home than a business. The staff is very friendly and the breakfast we had was delicious. At the top of the chart is the French Toast, which is unlike any French Toast I've had. My high expectations were exceeded with a brioché loaf soaked in flavorful batter. Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. Not sweet. The egg sandwich with bacon was outstanding, as was an incredible side of thick bacon. If you're so inclined, their Bloody Mary is the best I've had. I'm a big fan of Ditch Plains UWS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodie4432Dined on 6/14/2014I went in having high expectations from a place owned by Marc Murphy. However, I was incredibly disappointed and will not be back. $17 for a hot dog by Marc didn't seem too outrageous. I expected a gourmet take on traditional surf shack food. What I got was tasteless food that didn't' come close to earning its price tag. I ordered the fried chicken which was the special. It was crispy which was nice but there really wasn't any flavor. It came with a biscuit that was so burned on top I couldn't eat it. I ordered a side of broccoli, also burnt. My fiancee ordered the ditch dogs with mac n cheese. The mac n cheese was completely tasteless. We added salt and pepper to everything but were still horrible disappointed.
- Great Dinner and Kid FriendlyKMC255Dined on 6/14/2014We took our two kids to an early dinner here and it was nice to be in a place that is so kid friendly and accommodating. We could actually relax and enjoy our dinner without worrying about how loud the kids might be. The food was good and the service was great! We will definitely be back again!Special Features:
- Great place for brunch with kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/8/2014Love this go to UWS brunch place - great food and service, staff is so understanding of kids, getting kids food out first, prompt and friendly service, kid friendly options. nice and spacious for a NYC restaurant. Adult menu is slightly limited in terms of vegetarian options. Gets crowded on weekends so need to get there early otherwise generally long wait for table. Good for groups, very family friendly. Love this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!SandraVIPDined on 5/31/2014My Tuna burger was just excellent. The service was very attentive, kind and patient with our group including 2 babies (they accepted strollers) I love their space and decoration. Very nice experience, we'll go back.Special Features:
- Excellent service, but...FoodieDined on 5/30/2014Our server was outstanding! Very polite and knowledgeable!!! However, though the food was fresh, it was a little bland for my liking. Seemed a little overpriced as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Friendly and Good FoodGR8FoodDined on 5/30/2014Our family met another family there for dinner and everyone was pleased given the diners in attendance. TVs were a great way to give kids something to do while waiting for food (though wish there was a way to get some sound to hear shows - perhaps that's a bit too much noise at the dinner table). Everyone enjoyed the food they had and waitstaff was very responsive. I think half the diners there were under 12 years old, so noise level as "energetic" is the perfect term.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EasyMinnieDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant makes dining-out easy. There were 6 adults and 1 toddler in our group, so we were a good sized group with a baby. All went well at Ditch Plains. The wait staff was friendly & easy to work with. Food was spot-on in terms of options and quality. We would definitely return when we are back in NYC.Special Features:
- The following 129 reviews are from the Ditch Plains UWS reviews archive.
- Lots of strollersOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/18/2014Went with a girlfriend for brunch on a beautiful day. Was disappointed to see the huge, picturesque windows were closed and the room was a bit stuffy. There were also a TON of strollers and babies (including stroller parking both on the sidewalk and in the "bar" area). So they must have a great kids menu.... The food was good, the service was good, the space was good.... Nothing stood out. I'll be back eventually.Special Features:
- Mixed ThoughtsClassicVIPDined on 5/16/2014I haven't been here in at least a year. My first impression was ... way too many kids for a Friday night dinner. The food had highs and lows. I read a review that the Chopped Salad was tasteless. I can confirm that is true. It was not bad, just lacking flavor, especially any acidity. The salmon entree was very good, especially the cooking of the salmon. The parsnip puree was way too sweet though. The service was pleasant enough, but rather amateurish. It was a good experience overall, but I can't say very good. It is worth a try if you haven't been before.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestAuthorVIPDined on 5/11/2014Disappointing oysters, awful eggs Benedict. Just not very good.
- Always Great!aw168303VIPDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I came back here realizing we hadn't been in a few months. Ditch Plains is always a favorite of ours and that will always be true. The food, service and ambience was perfect as usual. We will be back.Special Features:
- Weekend kid spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/3/2014We take our family to Ditch Plains often for lunch on weekends. Nice kids menu, good drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast Tacos,twoplusoneVIPDined on 4/20/2014Best Bloody Marys, And a French Toast the size of an entire loaf. What more should I say?Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/18/2014The wine list is too expensive for the restaurant-- and they do not sell wine by the glass. The Seafood Cobb salad was diapoointing-- The Fish and chips were GREAT!
- Fun Dinner SpotbgflounderDined on 4/17/2014My wife and I reserved a table at Ditch Plains for 8:30 but ended up wanting to eat earlier. The restaurant got our reservation changed with no problem. The staff was very friendly and service was fine. The food was excellent, and portions were large. Our calamari appetizer was actually appetizer-sized, unlike most restaurants where it's a heaping meal on its own. Price was very reasonable, and we'll definitely return for another meal if we're in the area.
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014I went here for a big brunch after completing a half marathon. People in our group arrived at different times, but the staff was very accommodating. The wait staff was friendly, attentive and fast. Food was great, if not a bit pricey. I would absolutely come here again, and am looking forward to trying their downtown location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningEllieVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great spot for dinner. Our server Hannah was fantastic as was Risto the gracous bartender. Fortunately, we sat in the front area because the main dining room was like a rec room....loaded with kids; very loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good foodLocalUWSDinerDined on 4/12/2014I brought some family members to the restaurant for dinner the other evening, and everything went really well. We had a reservation, so we were seated immediately, and we had a waiter and a trainee (who actually was ready to go and didn't need anything else) so we felt very taken care of. I enjoy the food there, and so did everyone at the table, and we had a nice bottle of wine as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced for mediocre foodDeliciousVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is the 2nd visit to ditch plains & I was hoping it would redeem my previous visit but sadly it just confirmed that it isn't worth a 3rd visit. The food is overpriced for what you get. I'm a foodie; nothing at ditch plains is even remotely special. The egg sandwich is not even as good as my local bodega; Bloody Mary is fine but again not great; and the chopped salad is flavorless. In addition the hosts are super rude. This time we were with our friends and their two kids. We were sat in a back, dark area which was hot. There were empty tables in the brighter area near the front but our hostess said they would not seat families up there. That's fine except when we left the front area was filled with families. This place is off our list.Special Features:
- Great spot for comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014We've been to this UWS spot a number of times... The food never disappoints. The menu consists mostly of well prepared American comfort food. The cocktails don't disappoint. Great spot for a late night gathering!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizer and main came outjgmn2014Dined on 3/29/2014Appetizer and main came out 5 minutes apart Felt rushed Food was subpar at best never again
- We met friends for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/23/2014We met friends for brunch with our twin toddlers and had a wonderful time. They are extremely kid-friendly and have a kid menu, room to park your stroller, an endless supply of high chairs and booster seats, crayons and coloring menus, personal TV at every booth and small plastic cups with lids and straws. The omelettes, pancakes and fries were delicious! It was packed for brunch so make a reservation. We will definitely be back again soon!Special Features:
- Perfect choice for family dinnerlks9Dined on 3/22/2014Great spot for families. Great food, good drinks, tv's at the tables. Casual atmosphere. Killer bloody mary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for kids and familiesDrBillDined on 3/22/2014Located perfectly for a visit to the Museum of Natural History and the Children's Museum, Ditch Plains has a broad, family friend menu, TV screens playing popular kid movies at every table. A good menu for both adults and kids fills out the picture, as well as a very casual rustic atmosphere without a lot of things to break. I had the Clam Chowder (New England Style) which was excellent, as were the Shrimp Tacos. Certainly a place to visit and keep in mind for trips to the neighborhood and its attractions.Special Features:
- Not really a "neighborhood standby"BreadeaterDined on 3/21/2014I wasn't impressed by the food or the ambience, and although the waiter was sweet, he commented that I was making a lot of "specific requests." And the food is definitely too pricey for what it is. The shrimp "cocktail" turned out to be a heap of the watery "peel and eat" type of shrimp that were already peeled-- the quality -- or lack thereof -- certainly not justifying the $16 cost. And at $28.00, the lobster roll was definitely not up there... It seemed quite small and I couldn't even taste the lobster as there were so many scallions in it. So overall, it won't be one of my regular neighborhood standbys (the best part was the cup of taffy they give to you with the bill.)Special Features: