District - Oakland
827 Washington Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
District - Oakland
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.districtoak.com/
- Phone: (510) 272-9110
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri: 4:00pm - Close
Saturday: 5:00pm - Close
Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Bob Cina
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from District - Oakland
District is a wine & whiskey bar and restaurant located in Downtown Old Oakland. We offer an eclectic menu of small, shareable plates, house made charcuterie and pizza that pair well with our extensive list of wines and whiskeys by the glass and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
District - Oakland - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
District - Oakland reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (15)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (12)notable wine list (12)fit for foodies (10)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (5)great for brunch (5)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Excellent service, good food, there was a frat/sorority gathering that Night so it was Really noisy/festive preferred that they gather in a particular area, service was fast and courteous. Peach whisky-excellent! I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent time!ChilerellenoDined on 11/6/2014We Had an excellent meal and experience at District. We loved the variety of wines, whiskers and small plates offered. Bar staff was friendly and helpful. I am not sure we got checked in for our open table reservation as we came an hour early, so ended up sitting at the bar, but hope the management can check on that.Special Features:
- Great wine listMissJDined on 10/24/2014I have been to District several times and love the extensive and changing wine list and flight options. Several of us came here after a work event on Friday for Happy Hour. I reserved a spot for 7 people and the table was ready when we arrived. The food is consistent and good but not overly remarkable... happy hour pricing makes it worthwhile. Overall it's an inviting and easy place to hang out.Special Features:
- kitchen closedwiennie1Dined on 10/17/2014the district is my go-to restaurant when i'm entertaining. so how disappointed was i when my kansas city friends arrived to find the kitchen closed and "we don't know when it'll be opened." well it did open b4 we decided to leave and everything was as expected except bread pudding. not good. not sweet, not a lot of flavor. my friend felt it was dry but that was ok for me.Special Features:
- love the space and the foodDineroutVIPDined on 10/7/2014great atmosphere, except for the TV. love their food, the duck sausage is fantastic and well as the deviled eggs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed results on foodjasonm76Dined on 9/20/2014Had high hopes- I like the SF location so we went to the Oakland location before a show at the Fox. The Sazerac cocktail was tiny for the price (my wife's Sidecar was good) and the "warm burrata" was cold and thus not very good, the figs were really small for the price- only two figs. The sliders were great.Special Features:
- My Favorite Brunch SpotCJHuffDined on 8/31/2014All those this was not my first time at District, it never disappoints! Brunch is great, Staff is great, Mimosas hit the spot! Whenever I have a group breakfast (Which is probably once a month) I recommend District. Great environment, wish it was available everyday.Special Features:
- Great place...jodubbyaDined on 8/30/2014I celebrated my birthday here with a group of friends. We were able to reserve a section of the lounge for the entire evening. The tapas and drinks were so tasty. Everyone had a great time and commented on how much they loved the place and will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next time, dinner @Miss Ollie'sPreciousDined on 8/16/2014The food left a lot to be desired. Next time we'll have drinks at District and dinner at Miss Ollie's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014I think the ambiance was cool, but that's about it. I ordered the steak tartar which is traditionally served rare with a raw quail egg. It was served with a over cooked egg and the steak was cooked???? It came with toasted crostini with cheese on it. It was a complete injustice to how traditional tartar should be served. the menu description should have said they cooked the steak or I would have asked for it to be served raw, the way it's suppose to be. I also ordered the barata, which I have always had it served room temperature, they served it hit with the cheese melted. Just ok. The food was a disappointment and our waitress completely disappeared, never checking on us. Wouldn't recommend this place.
- Fabulous SettinggabrielleraeDined on 7/25/2014Enjoyed ourselves but nothing special. One dish that we loved was the spinach & fontina risotto arancini, delicious fried balls of risotto teeming with cheesy goodness. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else we ordered that satisfied our guests. The crispy chicken was burnt, not crispy & there was a spice in there we couldn't identify but didn't like. Can attest to the deliciousness of the fries, but the same can't be said of the aioli they were served alongside. The drinks were also inconsistent; the District Peach was hard-hitting and strong but the Strawberry Rain was more akin to pop than a cocktail. Called our waitress the "Spin Off Queen" because she moved so fast & had no time for us. It wasn't her fault tho, the joint was packed.Special Features:
- The following 28 reviews are from the District - Oakland reviews archive.
- Great whiskey, food, and serviceJaneCDined on 7/19/2014Fantastic whiskey menu, with a waitress who knew it and gave great advice. I'd had a good experience here once so I took 4 friends back with me to enjoy whiskey tasting. Everyone had a great time. The food far exceeded our expectations. (We did lots of appetizers tapas style. All were tasty.) My new favorite place in Oakland. Worth driving for if you are elsewhere in the Bay Area.Special Features:
- Why have I not been here sooner?OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2014That was my thought after our first plate, the deviled eggs(which we ordered another of because it was so darn good), arrived. Our cocktails were divine and my flight of wine was an adventure. Other notable dishes, the duck sausage and avocado tempura, we eaten up very fast. Very imaginative food and being that they are all small plates, you get to try a variety of things leaving you very satisfied in the end. Will be back again for sure.Special Features:
- this is a bar, not a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/11/2014foodis good, nut the service and set up and noise are all about the vibrant bar sceneSpecial Features:
- Enjoyment!!NicoLiscioudVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great tartare, peppadews, wine & whiskey flight. Our food rubber was the bomb and our server gal knew her rye, whiskey and scotch. Excellent start to my night!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartyEatingoodDined on 5/31/2014We had a small birthday party here. The service, food, and drinks were all great. Our group number changed last minute and the hostess was very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space for brunchofigDined on 4/20/2014The brunch was excellent and the service matched it. Really enjoyed the ambience there.Special Features:
- Great ambiancebougainvillaeDined on 4/19/2014We were supposed as to be meeting friends, but they didn't show up. The staff was great, the place bustling and cheerful, lots of parties happening. We had chicken drumsticks, delicious, nice local beers ($5 for happy hour) and tasty pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014It was my first time dining at the District. We went for Happy Hour on a Saturday. The food was really good and the chicken wings were especially awesome. We ordered from the primary menu because there wasn't a hefty selection from the happy hour menu, which was a bit disappointing. We had cocktails with our meal, which were better than most I've had elsewhere. The ambiance was nice. They did seem a bit short staffed as it looked like there was only one waitress for everyone, which was fine earlier in the evening, but as it got busier, I'm sure both she and the rest of the patrons would've appreciated an extra hand or two.Special Features:
- My BF <3s WhiskeyJewelzDined on 4/12/2014I brought my bf to The District for his birthday b/c he loves whiskey. We had a rye whiskey tour, it was interesting and unique. I commented in my reservation that it was for a birthday and the hostess and the server wished my bf a happy birthday. We ordered tempura avocado, ahi tartare, mushroom pizza and a cheese sample with a Bordeaux blended wine. Everything was terrific! We had a very romantic time sitting on the couches and looking out the window at the Christmas tree light lined sidewalk, but the general ambiance was very energetic, we could have easily made friends at the bar if the occasion were different. By the end we were too full and tired for birthday cake, so our waitress brought out a smiley face fruit plate with a candle!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a reservation, a few peopleReviewer1Dined on 4/6/2014Had a reservation, a few people were waiting to eat and I guess the servers allowed them to sit at our table but not to get food, I arrived a few minutes early and that group was starting to complain that they were hungry and there first. Servers finally showed them to a new table and my party was able to sit. The food was good. Service was great with the drinks but being at a buffet when you get up for a new plate someone should remove your old one right away...we had plates piled up on our table the entire time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun SpotfinickyeaterDined on 4/3/2014Decided to try it out on a Thursday evening at the end of happy hour. Very fun and lively place. Fortunately, we had reserved a table otherwise would have been standing only. But, a fun night spot with good food. Not truly a tapas place as described, at least not the tapas I have had in Spain. Great place to met up with friends before a show, after work, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour leads to dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/1/2014Good for happy hour! Great drink menu and food was tasty and perfectly portioned. The menu had plenty if choices so we stayed for larger bites for dinner. Everything was delicious and we will come back. Although there was only one server for all the tables, she managed to be very attentive and we didn't feel like we were being ignored unlike some restaurants with even more servers working the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, setting sterile50plusDined on 3/29/2014Enjoyed the lamb, eggs, butter lettuce salad. Thought the table was small and the lighting weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish tapa bar and restaurant.Dglass6Dined on 3/15/2014Great place. Very distinctive restaurant with regards to it's interior design. More of a tapa bar and lounge then restaurant. Great bar with good service. Excellent margaritas and deviled eggs appetizers. Great oysters on the half shell, ($1.00 each during happy hour)! Interesting wings, not my favorite but worth trying. Very delicious arugula salad and top notch house made salami and duck appetizers. Good beer and wine list and other interesting items on the menu. I'll be back again someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Miss the Deviled EggsrrachlinDined on 2/24/2014The Oakland City Center is well worth a trip, not least for some excellent restaurants. This is one. The deviled eggs were absolutely the best I've ever had (since my mother made them, that is). The Moroccan meatballs were tasty and generous, although not strikingly above average. No complaints about the specially mixed martini I ordered. The service can't be faulted. Would return in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Great foodCindyDined on 2/19/2014We always get the great tables with Opentable reservations, and District kept that experience for us. We had 6 people and they gave us the prime spot up front in the corner of the big windows. Great appetizers, oysters were fresh and yummy! Great lamb meatballs and pizza rocked. Fun, hip place with a great ambiance!Special Features:
- Good as usualGreginOaklandDined on 2/17/2014Went on a Tuesday night, not very crowded at all, kind of quiet. Ordered the charcuterie plate, which is very big and has excellent selection. Got the margherita pizza, split everything with my dinner mate. Nice bar and great drinks. Great ambience. Can't recommend this place more!Special Features:
- I had been here for drinksglovesmVIPDined on 2/15/2014I had been here for drinks before and liked the atmosphere. Though a bit dark, it was better at the bar area since there was more light. The food selections were great - we had the tempura avocado, braised oxtail with taro chips that were so flavorful and slightly sweet. The duck sausage was good in theory, but overly salted. We had to ask for bread to help balance it out and it only helped a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good recommendation from friendAustinJDined on 2/14/2014This place did very well in my opinion. Glass of wine for her, beer for me... a number of great dishes ordered, and stomach happy. Wallet very happy > with tip $90Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambianceMeritageVIPDined on 1/25/2014The house wine on tap was out of balance. It was supposed to be a Zinfandel but tasted as if it had been sitting out for a few days. The wrong food was brought out twice because the order was put in incorrectly and the flank steak was too crispy. I'd return for the ambiance but not have a full meal there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oak Restaurant Week PairingsShayShayDined on 1/22/2014We made a reservation but ended up coming an hour too early so we sat at the bar, and I am so glad we did. Danny was great! Charismatic, knowledgeable, funny, and delightfully verbose. I opted for the Beverage Pairings with my 3-course Pre-Fixe menu. Oxtail Bocaditos with Speyside Scotch, Petrale Sole and Lobster gnocchi with Burja white wine, and Chocolate Pot de Creme with Angels Envy Bourbon. Everything was OUTSTANDING. My partner had the Arugula Salad, Duck Sausage, and Cheese Platter which were all equally as DELICIOUS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and amazing pairingsSunnyoneDined on 1/21/2014I went here as a birthday celebration with my boyfriend and was really impressed. We went during restaurant week and the deal was amazing - 3 courses + wine/booze pairings for $50! On a normal day it is a little on the pricier side, but the food was just incredible. The Petrale Sole melted in my mouth and the lobster gnocchi was cooked to perfection. The oxtail bocaditos were also absolutely delish. All the pairings were spot on and the housemade charcuterie also really hit the spot. All in all i highly recommend District!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale bar and restaurant.ScooterVIPDined on 1/21/2014Upscale bar and restaurant. Bar type tables with high chairs....dark motif for the restaurant. Food is uneven, scallop appetizer was very tasty and needs bread for sopping up the creamy sauce, duck sausage was average, while Arugula pizza was crispy and flavorful, the bread pudding could be warmer with a little more sauce.....overall...a nice addition to Old Oakland....
- Good but not greatKaiDDined on 1/5/2014The food was good but service was slow and our bill was incorrect. We would have appreciated a "ready, set go" (with plate instructions) from our waitress, cutlery and frequent water refills. Also, they didn't replenish the pancakes for forever which was annoying. Brunch buffets are easy to service in my opinion so I had to dock District for all the mishaps. Dinner and drink service is much smoother. On a positive note, our waitress was very nice :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent whisky selection...HexkittenDined on 12/27/2013We chose District Oak because they offered unique whisky flights paired with food and we were definitely not disappointed! The small plates were superb, delicious and artful, and the happy hour plates were also fantastic. Dollar oysters with horseradish and lemon--can't beat it. Our server was really accommodating and managed to get us a giant round table that we fit 10 people around. The only drawbacks were that it was hard to talk to whoever was directly across the table from you and lighting was almost too dim to properly read the menu in our back corner, but still overall it was a 5 star experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual FancyMatt22AmandaDined on 12/23/2013Great whisky and wine list. Fun flights and mixed drinks, try the Hocus Pocus! There was only one waitress for the whole floor and it was a busy night, would've been a better experience if the service was better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a business party ofRandomDinerDined on 11/11/2013We were a business party of 5 and took the big round table in the back; conversation was easy in relation to the back ground noise. Our initial servce was slow but once we got food it was fine/consistant. Bar style small plates were tasty, but few vegtable options will be aproblem for some. Drinks and wine were good, and the wait staff was helpful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot ScenecookingmdmomDined on 11/9/2013We arrived close to 8 pm on a Saturday night, and the place and were pleasantly surprised that it was not loud or packed, nice amount of open seating. The drinks and food were very good. As the evening went on, the plate filled up with a young crowd and became much louder, but not intolerable. Overall, it was a positive experience.Special Features: