District - Modern Japanese Bistro
806 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 1H7Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: CAN$30 and under
District - Modern Japanese Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://districtbistro.ca/
- Phone: 6473478744
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: If you are planning a corporate or office lunch, small gathering, birthday or any special event please contact us and we would be more than willing to put together a custom order to fit your needs.
- Entertainment: BRING ON THE SUMMER - DISTRICT will be celebrating our first anniversary in July. We were also excited to announce the grand opening of our backyard PATIO in June! We invite you to socialize, to linger, to relax and to savour a fresh and flavourful experience, now both indoors and outdoors. Come soak up some sun while you enjoy cold beer, exotic sake-tinis along with our tasty summer dishes like miso-glazed chicken wings, tasty tempura and of course our signature delicious, fresh sushi!
- Cross Street: Broadview
- Public Transit: With street-car stops just steps away from our door, getting here by TTC is easy. The 501 and 503 Street-cars both stop just meters away. If you’re coming from the West, get off at Saulter St stop. Eastbound riders should get off at Boulton stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Our nearest major intersection is Queen St. E. and Broadview Avenue. There is pay parking available on Queen Street west of Boulton Ave (free after 9PM). Degrassi and Boulton streets have free parking from 10 AM until midnight. There is also a pay parking lot across the street on Saulter St. Its rates are $1.50 per half hour or less up to a maximum of $5.00.
A word from District - Modern Japanese Bistro
DISTRICT is a modern Japanese Bistro located in the heart of the trendy Riverside district of Toronto. DISTRICT blends sleek and sexy design with modern and authentic Japanese cuisine. The result is a tempting and tantalizing fusion of sophistication and flavour in an elegant yet intimate lounge like setting. Located on Queen Street East, in the space formerly occupied by Woodgreen Fish & Chips, District is a sleek and modern addition to the up-and-coming Riverside /Leslieville neighbourhood. Arguably the area’s first ever sophisticated sushi restaurant, DISTRICT is a place to socialize, to linger, to relax and to savour a fresh and flavourful dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District - Modern Japanese Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Is this place still open?nothungryDined on 9/27/2013Confirmed reservation and we arrive on Friday night at 7pm to a ghost-town. Not sure what the story with District is but we had alot of trouble confirming a reservation with them and then the place wasn't open when we did...not sure if its in business or not, but would assume it won't be long for it not to be if it is!
- Great food, but horrible serviceTimWVIPDined on 8/2/2013The servers are nice, but just untrained or something. They're well intentioned but somehow it takes a lot to get their attention and they use a lot of what we would call "wasted movement". Example: bringing water out to a table, and not filling up others' water. Every trip was for 1 thing only, like they were working for a union or paid by the trip between front & back of house. Coming by to check on us, but not clearing plates. Service aside, the food there is fantastic. Pricey, but fantastic. We didn't order very much to start, but we ended up being fuller than expected. We ordered an extra roll, and that did it. It's pricier than your plain old mid-grade places, but you'll get better food. We would go again, the food was that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- online reservation system failKikicapriceDined on 6/22/2013We tried to use opentable to make a reservation, but they seem to be having issues at the moment. I made the online reservation then called to verify. On the day that we went, it wasn't super busy. So it wouldn't have been an issue. It's a bit hit or miss these days. The pros - delicious as usual, the sweet potato noodle fritter is great. It was the first time we had it, and used our extra tempura sauce to add more flavour. The rolls were also great. We dined with another couple, who ordered the steak entree. There was a miscommunication about it, but apparently it was delicious. The enoki beef rolls were also great. Overall we really enjoyed the food. Cons - The A/C happened to be broken that day, so it was a little warm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushiWhyUNoOrderSushiDined on 5/24/2013Good selection of appetizers and mains. Sushi with a definitely modern twist. Really packed on a Saturday night. Small place and perfect for a cozy date.Special Features:
- The service started out poorlylove2eatVIPDined on 11/28/2012The service started out poorly but then the owner showed up and things improved. The shrimp appetizer was overcooked, the tea took a LONG time to show up after several reminders, but the sushi rolls we had were very tasty. The tables are close together and we could hear everyone's conversations (and conversely they could also likely hear ours). It wasn't overly noisy but i'm sure on other nights it could be if everyone was trying to talk over eachother. Apparently the patio is gorgeous - it was snowing when we went so we'll try again when it's nice out.Special Features:
- A small cozy restaurant withPuissanceDined on 11/9/2012A small cozy restaurant with great food and excellent service. The food was tasty, interesting, and reasonably priced. Definitely recommended!Special Features:
- Superb FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2012This restaurant was the perfect pick for my birthday. A small group of us were so pleased to sample the delectable offerings. I don't even love sushi but my crunchy lime salmon, beef balls and shrimp tempura were incredible - this menu has something for those who love sushi plus, plus! They also had a corkage option - the fee was only $10! I have never heard of such a low fee. Thank you Sushi District for a fantastic night all around!Special Features:
- Our favourite Sushi restaurantDaveDined on 10/12/2012Great for take out or to dine in. More expensive than other local sushi restaurants, but you get what you pay for! Always fantastic food.Special Features:
- Great food & service, at veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/25/2012Great food & service, at very reasonable prices. Want to go back & try their late night tasting menu for sure!Special Features:
- The food was fresh, excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2012The food was fresh, excellent, and prepared beautifully. Everything was very tasty, and I loved the chili spiced edamame and the tuna tartare. The patio are was lovely, very cozy.Special Features:
- This is one of my new favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2012This is one of my new favourite restaurants. The music and service is always great, the food is amazing especially the sushi pizza and the salmon salmon roll! Oh also their dipping sauce for the tempura vegetables is amazing too bad they keep the ingredients a secret....Special Features:
- Best Japanese food i've triedSharonVIPDined on 7/11/2012Best Japanese food i've tried in the city. Nice use of backyard space. Very nice experience, would recommend for the food.Special Features:
- Another Fantastic meal - hadKikicapriceDined on 6/27/2012Another Fantastic meal - had some friends visiting, who don't get to spend a lot of time in the neighbourhood. We came here for dinner. They loved it. the food was great, and the decor was amazing. We had the veggie tempura (great portion sized when shared amongst 3 ppl). We ordered the District roll, the red dragon and tuna tuna. Yum yum. Everyone left full and happy.Special Features:
- Nice spot to enjoy some good sushi.Allie1VIPDined on 6/26/2012Nice sushi. Picnic tables out back aren't so comfortable, but inside is clean and quiet. Never too busy. A nice pop in sushi place that is above the average in terms of ambiance and presentation.Special Features:
- I really enjoy coming here.KikicapriceDined on 5/11/2012I really enjoy coming here. It would be great if they had a cocktail menu - we tried the lychee-sake. Again the veggie tempura is a must and the rolls are amazing.
- although a japanese / sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012although a japanese / sushi restaurant, the decor was more contemporary and along with the music playing was actually quite enjoyable ! Was there with my 21 and 23 year old sons, and they thought the food was excellent !Special Features:
- I go at least once a monthOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2012I go at least once a month and all the dishes are delicious and fresh; however, I find the Soba salad outstanding.Special Features:
- Go for the generous sushi plateFoodifiedDined on 2/11/2012District needs to understand that black walls and the paintings they've chosen to hang recently are a dog's breakfast, decor-wise. They should make up their mind what image they are trying to project (Japanese nouvelle cuisine?) and stay on message.Please start with getting rid of the black walls.Asked the waiter for recommendations and he suggested the wasabi pea encrusted salmon. Unfortunately the fish was overcooked and the crispy wasabi peas had lost their crisp.Although seemed like a good idea,it needed some wasabi reinforcement - in otherwords, the fish dish had little taste or texture. Accompanying mashed edamame had little charm. The sushi mains ordered by dinner mates, however were very generous in quantity and they enjoyed tSpecial Features:
- I've been here a few timesKikicapriceDined on 2/7/2012I've been here a few times - I love it. the food is awesome. The veggie tempura is to die for. The small/reg size is perfect for 2 to share. The large for 2 becomes a meal. The fish is really fresh, the service is great, and the decor is fantastic. Will come again.Special Features:
- What a fantastic experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/3/2012What a fantastic experience! The food was fresh and innovative. Our server was knowledgeable and friendly. The decor and vibe made you feel like you were out for a Friday or Saturday night rather than just going out for sushi. That being said, I would go there anytime as well. We will be back. You should eat here!
- Need to work on service efficiencyDinerVIPDined on 1/13/2012Need to work on service efficiency and service. Whole place could use a good cleanup. Including menu cards - full of rips and stains.Special Features:
- Nice spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/7/2012Good casual dining spot for a date, or out with friends. The food was good. Not super high end but better than average for sure. Meal highlights were sweet potatoe wedges with wasabi mayo dipping sauce, sushi pizza, and the sake. Service was very friendly and helpful with the menu. We will be going back to explore the other dishes. At their price point I can see this begin a regular weekly option.Special Features:
- The food here is tasty! WeKikicapriceDined on 12/31/2011The food here is tasty! We started with enoki beef rolls (yum), and the veggie tempura (this is a must have, there's tempura asparagus spears - super unique and really great). we also order a salmon salmon roll to take care of the spicy sushi fix, and the sushi/sashimi combo. Everything here was well proportioned, so that each bite is just delectable. The decor is also great.Special Features:
- Creative take on sushi. TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/3/2011Creative take on sushi. Tasting menu is a great idea. Try the sake pairingsSpecial Features:
- Awesome Sushi and fun Vibe!!SammyVIPDined on 11/30/2011Fantastic service! Great sushi! Delicious teas and sake!! Very reasonable and delicious!! We'll be back!! PS Try the terryaki chicken if you are not a sushi fan --it was outstanding!!Special Features:
- The sushi was very fresh andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2011The sushi was very fresh and on the haute coutoure end of sushi. Everything was just delicious and I would definitely bring people there again.Special Features:
- Cool, happening modern spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011Cool, happening modern space with eclectic and authentic menuSpecial Features:
- We did not enjoy our timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/21/2011We did not enjoy our time at a District. The sushi that we received was just not good. HOWEVER, the salad we ordered as an appetizer was excellent. Service was very slow, and our waitress did a poor job explaining what was in the menu - definitely didn't take any extra steps aside from actually bringing the food to make the dinner pleasurable. We will not return.
- Hidden Gem!KenshinDined on 6/26/2011I had planned a get together dinner for my boyfriend & I, and my family during my visit in Toronto - and I have scoured all over the city to find a simple, but nice, sushi/Japanese place with great prices and good food, that is OPEN on Sunday nights. This is it. It is all the way on the east side by Broadview & Queens, but the neighborhood area is a quaint place. Amy, the host, was very nice and attentive. She explained the restaurant's specialties to us. The food was fantastic and they gave large portions! I'd definitely come back to this place. And I'm sure, my family from Toronto definitely will! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- We had been to District beforeMauligirlVIPDined on 5/20/2011We had been to District before and the sushi was very good. A little more interesting that your average sushi restaurant. Our first time there we had purchased a Groupon coupon and we thought that was the reason why it was very slow. The food was slow to come out and the service, while very friendly and seemed attentive, is also very slow. It seems however that is just the way it is. So if your are in no hurry and just want to enjoy a very nice leisurely evening it is a great place. Scrutinize your bill though. The staff, while very friendly and accommodating, are a little dozy.Special Features:
- I've been there a few timeselRonconVIPDined on 5/7/2011I've been there a few times and the food is very good. This visit however they appeared to be understaffed and my seared tuna was cold to the touch. As well, one of our dishes was forgotten and brought out at the end of our meal. Still a nice place with good people and tasty food.
- Unfortunately, the eveningJohnf1961VIPDined on 5/7/2011Unfortunately, the evening we arrived for a 7pm dinner, the restaurant was short staffed, with only one wait staff serving the entire restaurant. Despite this deficiency, she managed the best that she could, though delays in receiving our orders were inevitable. When it arrived, the food was good and as ordered. Would certainly be willing to try again and provide another opinion with the restaurant operating with its full complement of wait staff.Special Features:
- Our server- i keep forgettingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/25/2011Our server- i keep forgetting to get her name, she is amazing!!!!! I love the feel of the restaurant, the decor and atmosphere is very chic and artsy. I wish I could upload a photo. The price is great, food is great!! I have been here twice and i believe this will be a usual spot for me. I definitely recommend it and I will be bringing my two best friends the next time i go which will definitely be soon :)Special Features:
- One of my new favourite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/11/2011One of my new favourite restaurants in the city. Have been here several times and really like it so toom my fiance here on his birthday. We love the wasabi-lime salmon and we get it every time. Good quality sushi and excellent cooked dishes as well. Unfortunately they didn't do anything special to recognize his birthday but it was ok since I had cupcakes waiting at home!Special Features:
- Always great time. Fresh deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2011Always great time. Fresh delicious sushi with great specialty dishes. Service is super as well as the atmosphere.Special Features:
- This is one of our favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/6/2011This is one of our favourite restaurants in the city. It's not in our immediate neighbourhood but it is always worth the drive. The food is fresh,great portion sizes and creatively a little different from most sushi restaurants. Be prepared to have the best tempura in the city. The servers are pleasant, professional and another reason we eat here almost weekly.Special Features:
- We were very pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/11/2010We were very pleased with the quality of the sushi/sashimi. The server was very friendly as well. The maki were large and delicious. Menu is quality over quantity. Highly recommend. We will return often and also try their takeout!Special Features:
- I heard good things aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/1/2010I heard good things about this place, and given the high expectations, District still managed to impress me. My party was blown away by the quality and flavours of all the dishes we ordered. We loved the miso whitefish; the nigiri and sashimi was fresh and authentic; the starters tasty. We couldn't ask for better service. The waitress was charming and knowledgable. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Selection of wine not thatpbgickDined on 11/16/2010Selection of wine not that great... would be nice to be able to bring our own bottle for a corkage fee. Space a little cold in temperature, winter definitely not the time of year to go... Rice was a little dry on the rolls. The shrimp with hoisin sauce was basic and bland.
- Went on a Sunday. AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2010Went on a Sunday. Attentive service, well timed food (but then, we were early, and the only people there for the beginning of our meal), server suggested an app that was a more economical choice than an a la carte sushi item, that was very similar, AND it was excellent -the marinated and seared mackerel. Would definitely go again. Skip the dessert it's only OK; have a glass of plum wine instead.Special Features: