2606 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.districtkitchen.com/
- Phone: 2022389408
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Drew Trautmann
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: District Kitchen is excited to announce semi private happy hour availability! Please contact us for additional information.
- Private Party Contact: Rachel Mowrer 2404329169
A word from District Kitchen
District Kitchen, an American cuisine restaurant, will be opening in Woodley Park late 2011.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (20)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (5)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great food, okay serviceEs1084Dined on 9/17/2014The food is great. Very well presented. Great variety in the menu. Service is okay, could be improved upon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Poor service.magsDined on 8/30/2014Hello. I found the food at District Kitchen to be pretty good; it's nice to have this option in the neighborhood. However, the service was terribly slow and it was often difficult to locate our server. Usually, a server is at least visibly busy doing something else while you are waiting for food, beverages, refills, or the check. We hailed down a couple of different servers in order to get our check. Given the number of conferences and events that happen in the area hotels, this restaurant needs more efficient service. I wouldn't schedule another personal or business lunch here because of the slow service; I don't have the time in my schedule to wait around.
- Great foodLuckyDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is a giant step up from the other Woodley Park eateries and definitely worth trying. Brunch is great!Special Features:
- Good food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014I enjoyed the food but the service left a lot to be desired. I requested to be seated at a table outside that was two tables pushed together. The host said "No, we reserve that for bigger groups". The entire time I was there, no bigger group came in. If it had been very busy, I would have understood but it was 7:30pm on a Sunday and the place was barely half full. Come on, guys! The wait staff was moderately attentive with drink refills and food check in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food delicious, service sloworngekangaroo31Dined on 8/15/2014We went for restaurant week to District Kitchen, since we've wanted to go for awhile but kept putting it off. I had the swordfish and my fiancé had the salmon. We also both had cheese plates. The cheese portion seemed small, but actually a good size with great jam and salted toasts. The fish was delicious as well! The asparagus and white wine sauce was great. My fiancé loved the basil risotto that came with the salmon. We really liked the goat cheese cheesecake and the chocolate mousse pies too! Our service was a little slow though, and we kept wondering when the wine we ordered was going to come. I actually asked for my dessert boxed, but he forgot to bring it back to the table. We left and I had to go back and ask for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprising experience - positiveTheHappyBingeEaterDined on 7/25/2014I live in DC, love food, and had barely heard of this place. Friends from out of town were staying in a nearby hotel, so I reluctantly joined them - I recommended other places but they wanted to go BACK to District Kitchen again during their stay. Good call...simple food and menu, wonderfully prepared. Enjoyed an IPA and cool glass of water delivered within 3 minutes of sitting; the Tuna Tartare appetizer costs $15 but delivers $25-30 worth of sushi-grade tuna chunks in a small mason jar, along with a sweet sesame soy dressing, cucumbers & mini-baguettes; then the sirloin steak and fries for the main course (steak cooked perfectly - and I generally don't like fries, but these were like potato chips in the shape of fires - awesome).Special Features:
- Great Waiter and FoodWelcomingDined on 7/25/2014I had never been to District Kitchen before. I had a friend who was attending a workshop at a local hotel and we needed a place to eat close to the venue. I was very pleased with the choice. The food was good and his steak choice looked very filling. I had the salmon and it was very tasty. I was especially impressed with the waiter. He was very attentive in a non-intrusive way. His recommendations were right on target. I would truly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a good and friendly place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lacked flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014While the menu was inviting (some vegetarian) the food was bland. I ordered two half dishes to get a variety both lacked flavor. I was offered salt. The food looked good and the service was good. I would not return.
- Good food, Poor servicekimothydc1VIPDined on 7/2/2014A group of us had dinner at DK a few nights ago. The food was tasty & fresh. Highly recommend the assorted cheese selection for appetizers. The burgers were the most popular item in the restaurant (we could see most of the patrons ordering it). The goat cheesecake was the best dessert by far. Would NOT recommend the creme brûlée b/c the taste was overpoweringly citrus-y (odd, since it was listed as vanilla creme brûlée). The wine and cocktail selection was decent. The service, on the other hand, was lacking. Although a small restaurant, they were understaffed. Servers were attentive at first, but quickly lost steam. We had to ask no less than 3 times for a water refill & remind our waiter to bring forgotten plates. Will not be returning.Special Features:
- Great local placeTSRestonVIPDined on 6/16/2014Met a friend for dinner here. Wine list is good and very reasonable. They also have some creative cocktails and a decent beer line-up. Chef does wonders with specials like Pork Belly. Many of the items are built as small plates and/or for sharing. Worked out well with the tuna, mushroom gnocchi (outstanding) and a few other dishes. Servicer was good and very friendly. Will certainly return.Special Features:
- Good but small portionsfuzzykiwi48VIPDined on 6/10/2014I really liked the shrimp jalapeño sausage polenta but the full portion was very small. Small but tasty food portions for other guests too. However the burger and fries I saw others eating looked like a great option for next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthdayDined on 6/7/2014One of my favorite restaurants in DC is also in my own neighborhood! Glad I chose it for my birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Pleasant summer eveningNearNeighborDined on 6/5/2014Met an out-of-town friend there. We were able to talk and catch up thanks to quiet neighbors at other outdoor tables. Food was good but nothing great in any category of the menu. Staff attentive.Special Features:
- Great new(isn) restaurant in AdMoAJBinDCDined on 5/30/2014I enjoy eating at District Kitchen, a lot. They have a great menu, which changes frequently, and they use locally sourced and sustainable foods. Considering the moderate price range, the quality of the food and the portions served are well worth the $$. They also have a great wine list, and, a huge plus - they will cork your unfinished wine to take home with you. All around great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 197 reviews are from the District Kitchen reviews archive.
- Clients entertainedPleasedtheclientsDined on 5/21/2014We needed to find a location close to the Omni hotel that was spacious and delicious and District Kitchen delivered. We ordered two cheese plates, two bread plates, the beef and the tuna and they were amazing. Everyone was very pleased with their 1/2 plates as well. The wine selection was varied. We enjoyed a lovely pinot grigio, Cab and malbec. I would definitely take my clients back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2014Our waiter Steven made excellent suggestions, the cheese plate and gnocchi were great.Special Features:
- rudolphdcDined on 5/11/2014Some excellent food gems on the food and drink menus: home fries, charred Brussels sprouts but the best was the chilango cocktail (tequila, Campari and a rarity, jalapeno syrup!) not to forget the shrimps & polenta and chilaquiles. Our waiter: maybe it was his style, a little bit "hautain" at first, but he did deliver and smiled. Management was superb, moving us to the corner/banquet table near the front entrance (as requested in our online reservation) AFTER we had been sat down (and we were late) and offering to seat us post-meal while getting our car. Only warning... parking (nothing to do with the restaurant services) can be difficult in that very vibrant area, so give yourself time for parking... I WILL go back.Special Features:
- KikiDined on 4/27/2014Love this place. Stumbled across it one night for drinks and a snack at the bar. So impressed we came back for dinner. Continue to be very happy as we return again and again. Great small plates. Professional attentive but unobtrusive service. Especially love that they do great small plates. Lived in San Francisco for many years and miss this kind of place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite neighborhood dining!SeekerOfRealFoodDined on 4/23/2014Living in Adams Morgan, we frequently find ourselves crossing the bridge to dine at District Kitchen, either just the two of us or with guests in tow. The selection of small dishes fits with how we like to dine, providing opportunities to sample their seasonal and frequently locally grown delights. We have never had a dish that we would not consider excellent! The service is always superb and the ambiance is accentuated by the use of simple, real materials, such as the exposed brick walls. We have not yet been there for brunch or visited simply for the bar alone, but we feel certain that any attempt by this management would rise above the norm. And we hope they don't become too much of a 'hot spot' so there will still be room for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible serviceDCdinerDined on 3/25/2014District Kitchen had very good food, but has a lot of work to do when it comes to service. While the staff were very polite and cordial, the timing of the food service was a disaster. We waiting at least 30 minutes between our appetizers and the rest of our food. Groups of the same size that came in after us received their food long before we did. We were told the problem was new kitchen staff, but only after we asked. No one on their staff thought to be pro-active with patrons. In short, expect good food, but plan wait a long time for it.Special Features:
- Excellent creative dishesmndcVIPDined on 3/16/2014Definitely one of the best restaurants to hit the Woodley Park area in a long time. Much needed creative and outstanding food in the neighborhood. Four of us (2 adults, 2 kids ages 9 & 11) dined there tonight and thought it was great. The tuna dish and waygu steak dishes were excellent. Fries were amazing. Veggie dishes also outstanding. The kids loved the molten chocolate cake. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- District Kitchen Original & TastyQwinDined on 3/15/2014District Kitchen is terrific. The ambiance is both homey and crisp. They have an innovative list of drinks with names and ingredients that intrigue and don't disappoint. The food is just as pleasing. They generally have small plates many of which can be doubled. We started with the great pickle platter-- this time we went for the full selection-- about 9 choices. We finished them all. For the main meal we had the grilled beets, the grilled carrots, the tuna and the steak along with the vegetarian lasagna. We also wisely saved room for desert- the caramel pudding and the warm chocolate cake. The menu is always being refreshed with new drinks, deserts and small plates. It's a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceChubDaddyDined on 3/13/2014Our server was fantastic. Knowledgeable...and patient with diners who are not experienced foodies.Special Features:
- Second time we've eaten hereKikiDined on 3/1/2014Second time we've eaten here and were very impressed. Inventive menu, great presentation, attentive but not intrusive service and a reasonable price. Particularly like the wild mushroom salad. One gripe. We'd appreciate some bread. Although the biscuits were really, really great, some good bread would have really added to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ambience is simple, no frills.PKeatsDined on 2/22/2014The small plate approach was perfect for us to try different entrees to share as well as get one for each of us separately - really nice when you are a group of 6 or more as you can try several items without over ordering. Our waiter was very attentive with explanations of dishes & suggestions and didn't make us feel rushed when we took our time enjoying wine and visiting before ordering. Everyone enjoyed their entrees: highly recommend the Seared Tuna, the scallops and the steak. The pasta with blue cheese & pancetta was shared by all & was excellent. We also liked an array of cheese to share as an appetizer. We were only disappointed that the wine & the menu that had been seen & reviewed online was not available. Get Turly wine back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a casual mealPhilDined on 2/14/2014Hadn't been here for months and they've since changed their format over to all small to medium size sharing plates instead of having entrees available. Not sure I love that as their entrees were always really good. Food overall was as good it has ever been. Wine and beer list has been way scaled back and the options were "ok" but not great. Menu as laid out can be a bit confusing like the section for Pasta/Starch which really only had one single pasta on it and the rest were various breads, potatoes, etc. But then they had a veggie section that had lasagna in it. Just seemed like they could make it easier for folks to work through what they are offering. Wagyu bavette was phenomenal as were the scallops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Solid EatstokyohikerDined on 2/14/2014Attractive decor. Knowledgeable, friendly efficient service. Great food with a fairly frequently changing menu. A bit on the rich side, but portions are not too big, and you'll savor delicious combinations of flavors you've never experienced before. Price is not something most people can do every day, but it's not pretentious or overpriced in my opinion. In other words, it's good solid comfortable eats with a nice glass of wine or beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant quiet eveningupdinerDined on 2/3/2014Monday evening, dinner with elderly parents of a friend in town for a conference. Very enjoyable atmosphere, good food, attentive but not intrusive service. Look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience & pricesChrisDined on 1/30/2014Was in the neighborhood & looking for something good to try Thursday night. Had no problem getting a reservation at this Woodley Park gem that aims to source as much locally as it can. We got great suggestions from our waiter & one of the owners who was there & very helpful. Great cheeses (from near & far - very nice & varied selection) & really creative plates. I particularly loved the rabbit loin with creamy polenta. Albacore tuna was perfectly prepared. Forest mushroom & goat cheese tamale was very good & extremely creative. Ordered two plates of the biscuits because they were just too good not to have for desert. Then, I had to ask the server if he left something off the bill b/c it was so low. Less than $70 before tip with drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just overall bad.WillieDVIPDined on 1/25/2014Not a good experience. I should have known when every time slot was available for reservations. We enter a nearly empty restaurant with only 2 other people dining. States from the wait staff were creepy. My wife's baby back ribs, an overly fish sauced soup? My rabbit loin sitting a top a green sauce over partly scorched questionable polenta. This is a neighborhood place that we will never frequent again. Also, the move from full size entrees to small plates seems like financial troubles are in the mix. I don't think this restaurant will last the next 2 years.Special Features:
- Took my college roommateTrishDined on 1/17/2014Excellent food and service. All that I expected. Intend to return soon. My husband and I visit more often in the summer when we can dine outside on vibrant Connecticut Avenue. I especially appreciate the absence of televisions. The liver pate' is my personal favorite item on the menu. We few liver lovers have trouble finding it when eating in local restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Tiny food portions1WardoDined on 1/14/2014This is a great restaurant for service and tasty bits, but food sizes were amazingly small. You will be told that it is a like tapas, or Jaleo, and that's true. But it takes a lot of dishes to make a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth another visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/14/2014I had dined at District Kitchen a few times, shortly after they opened. I had very good experiences on both visits but had not been back there for a while. I met two friends for dinner on January 14 and was very pleased with our experience. Service was prompt and courteous, the food was very good, and my two guests were very satisfied with the everything. Thanks for a delightful evening. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice variety of tasty foodKathysVIPDined on 1/14/2014We had a very enjoyable dinner with a range of small plates. Some were better than others, but most were delicious. It makes for a fun experience to be able to try a variety. Desserts were a little disappointing but more than made up for by some of the savory dishes.Special Features:
- A Different, Creative SpaceLizSVIPDined on 1/12/2014Wonderful, creative approach to food. Mushroom Terrine was exceptionally well done. Creative vegetable pickels (beets and fennel). The cured fish was a little hit or miss (whitefish was wonderful, "sausage" was a little strong). Applesauce cake was wonderful.Special Features:
- everything was lovelyepric002VIPDined on 12/28/2013...except that they were out of an unusual number of items: a cocktail, a wine, and a few menu items. everything we ordered other than the shirred egg though, was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceJohnDined on 12/14/2013Took my 99 year old mother-in-law here for dinner with her visiting nephew, who was staying at the Marriott Wardman Park. It was a cold, drizzly and miserable night but the District Kitchen was warm, friendly and welcoming. We had a great waiter; service was excellent - he seemed to know when we were immersed in family talk and when to come to check on things. Not too fancy, informal but trendy atmosphere. Food was very good but "unusual' for my mother-in-law. Our waiter was not phased at all when she asked for her wagu steak to be well done; and that is how they served it, too. The mint ice cream was a revelation - it actually tasted like mint from my back yard. Liked the glazed carrots. I will come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious and interestingaygarrouDined on 12/11/2013Always delicious and interesting creations with an attentive wait staffSpecial Features:
- Thursday night on ConneticutFatherDined on 12/5/2013It was difficult to have a conversation because the Mellinials were buzzing like a hive, but the portions were just the right size and the meal was delicious. The waiter was attentive and well informed. A good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, marginal serviceFamousamosDined on 11/22/2013We had a lovely dinner but a seemingly confused server. He forgot our drinks and just seemed off. Otherwise, a nice place for smaller, shared plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.