District Kitchen and Cocktails
5900 West Slaughter Ln.
Austin, TX 78749Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
District Kitchen and Cocktails
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtaustin.com/
- Phone: (512) 351-8436
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Friday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Amir Hajimaleki
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from District Kitchen and Cocktails
Here at District we are passionate about quality food and partnering with local farms and businesses. To bring you only the freshest ingredients, whether they come from the bar or the kitchen. We also partner up with fishermen to bring you the freshest, in-season, sustainable seafood. We do a little bit of everything here - after all, who doesn’t like choices! Our motto is to source the freshest ingredients and create something delicious with it, alongside a perfectly made classic cocktail, a delicious craft beer or a glass of wine that will make everything come together.Continued
So come in, relax, grab a drink and some food and hang out with friends in what we like to call New American Cuisine. After all, great food and great drinks go best with great company!
So come in, relax, grab a drink and some food and hang out with friends in what we like to call New American Cuisine. After all, great food and great drinks go best with great company!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
District Kitchen and Cocktails - Best Restaurants in South Austin ›
District Kitchen and Cocktails reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (37)great for outdoor dining (32)good for groups (13)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (8)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- District Kitchen is my favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014Great food. Great drinks. I love the pumpkin french toast. The cream cheese maple frosting is amazing. The cocktail menu is seasonal and always has delicious drinks. Best restaurant in Austin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outAmyWVIPDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our Friday night here. I chose pork roast with sweet potatoes. Tasty and the prefect meal for a chilly fall evening. There was live music out on the large patio and we wished we'd worn our jackets so we could have been out there to enjoy. Ambiance is great here.Special Features:
- Delicious!AnaEDined on 11/6/2014The food was amazing! From the complimentary butternut squash hummus and bread to dessert, everything was amazing. Had a wonderful cocktail, Autumn Sunrise, that had pomegranate and rhubarb flavors, an explosion of flavor! The Hog Wings are a must for a starter, unique and extremely flavorful. I had the ribeye, that came topped with blue cheese butter and accompanied with brussel sprouts and rosemary fingerling potatoes - the ribeye was marbled perfectly and the brussle sprouts grilled to perfection! The chocolate Nutella mousse was a wonderful way to end the meal. Don't walk, run to try this hidden gem! On a side note, they have brunch Fri-Sun, I'll be trying that soon, the menu looked wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night in South AustinKateDined on 11/3/2014My boyfriend and I like to do a week day for a date night and decided to go to District Kitchen + Cocktails. It's nice to have some local restaurants in the South Austin neighborhoods, which tend to be saturated with chain restaurants or more fast food type places. We enjoyed the atmosphere and design of the restaurant. There's a great patio out front, too, if you like to sit outside. Our server was super friendly and did a great job bringing us everything we needed. I had the duck leg and sausage gumbo, which was on special that evening. Really enjoyed the duck part of the dish. In addition, we devoured the nutella salted mousse for dessert. YUM.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceRevlimiterVIPDined on 11/1/2014ALL EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS. FOOD AND SERVICE WAS BEYOND GREAT, IT WAS OUTSTANDING. SERVICE STOOD OUT AS SOME OF THE BEST WE HAVE HAD IN QUITE A WHILE, INCLUDING FROM RESTAURANTS AT SEVERAL TIMES THE PRICE HERE. GREAT VALUE. ENTERTAINMENT WAS ALSO GREAT.Special Features:
- Super impressedchristinarVIPDined on 10/31/2014I had never been to District Kitchen and Cocktails before and just thought it would be a nice, average neighborhood restaurant. I was wrong - it was amazing! The service was excellent, with the waiter making a great wine recommendation. The atmosphere of the restaurant was perfect - cozy, warm, with an austin vibe. Most importantly, the food was absolutely perfect. This will be one of our standard go-to places now. Can't say enough good things about this place!Special Features:
- Nice experiencemusicandfoodDined on 10/31/2014Our three top says they would pass on the bison burger again, but the prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin was very good as was the shrimp and grits. Goat cheese balls app was great, as were the peppers. Decent choice of moderate priced wines. Quality service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very goodFoodie2VIPDined on 10/24/2014We ordered steaks and the ratatouille. The vegetables were all burnt. The steak was good but not superb. Our wine did not come until we were actually done with the steaks. Just wasn't very good.
- Great Sunday Night DinnerRoo81Dined on 10/19/2014Went here for the first time on our one year anniversary. We wanted some place nice but somewhere we didn't have to dress up too much for. Our waitress Lindsey was awesome. We had the newly added mussels for an appetizer and a bottle of wine both for happy hour prices since it was after 2pm on a Sunday. I had the grilled Octopus which was delicious and my husband had the braised pork which was sweet and savory. Couldn't miss out on dessert so we opted for the Oreo Tiramisu and it did not disappoint. Will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- Truly Enjoyableaustinite1982Dined on 10/18/2014Met a group of ladies (we visit a different restaurant every other month) on Saturday night. We sat outside due to a lovely evening. Ordered an appetizer of goat cheese balls and they also gave us complimentary humus since this was our first time there. Humus so-so, but loved the sauce on the goat cheese balls the best. Meal: ordered street tacos since cheaper during Happy Hour on a Saturday night (til 7pm) and Shrimp-n-Grits. Both were excellent. The grits were very smooth and the bacon and BBQ sauce added just the right touch. Added avocado to the street tacos and also great touch. Dessert: Split the Oreo Tiramisu & Carrot/Zucchini cake+ice cream=very good. Band played outside. Wonderful evening. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!ScooterDined on 10/17/2014Awesome drinks. Try the mussel appetizer ...and the best part, dogs are welcomed on the deck!Special Features:
- Good food, good servicetxworldtravDined on 10/17/2014Very good food with a friendly staff. Enjoyed sitting outside on the deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local gemTexdocDined on 9/27/2014Had a great meal Saturday night with a couple of friends. Was seated promptly(the indoor seating is in a long narrow corridor with benches and reclaimed wood along one wall, beautiful but I'd prefer something a bit more comfortable and more space in between tables) and had helpful service throughout the meal from the server. We had the salmon, chicken wrapped in bacon, and a flatbread - all were gobbled up quickly! I had the Soft glow cocktail served in a mason jar, and loved the macerated berries in it. I plan to return soon :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Districtbhas hit its strideJeniGDined on 9/20/2014Having visited the District 5 or 6 times since it opened, my experience has got better and better on each occasion. The first couple of times while service has always been excellent, the food wasn't quite there. However my more recent visits have shown the District fulfilling the potential I felt it had from the start. The food (hamachi tuna, the red snapper special and peach and rhubarb crumble) was all very tasty, well executed and very fresh. My cocktail (District Mule) was delicious. The server was friendly, helpful, but non intrusive and I felt the price of the meal was fair for what we received. I'm so glad to have this place down south and hope the District remains awesome.Special Features:
- BenjaminDined on 9/6/2014Outstanding food and service. The wait staff is extremely knowlegable and management obviously has them deeply involved in the menu selection process. They are very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- District Kitchen in Circle COpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014The red snapper over couscous with an avocado butter sauce was very good! I also enjoyed the accompanying kale, fennel salad. The food was very fresh and nicely seasoned without being overly salty. The decor of pallets and reclaimed wood is already starting to be overdone in Austin but overall it is nice. The seats were not very comfortable ! We will be back to support this restaurant that is in our neighborhood. Thanks and keep up the good work !Special Features:
- Good food and drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I have been to District several times since it opened and feel fortunate there is an casual dining restaurant with good food and drink in the area. Menu is constantly changing and they have good happy hour selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star districtBlkseptDined on 8/22/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. From the time you walk in until you walk out, the customer service is superb. The food is delicious so be prepared to pay the price. Options available for entrees to be specialized for vegans, vegetarians, or gluten-free. If you like ginger beer and spicy drinks, you need to try the district mule. Pour waiters was just Devine. As our first time eating here, it was a very enjoyable experience, with a complimentary appetizer from the chef for being our first time. Not kid-friendly. Great outdoor dining with live music.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedHopingDined on 8/12/2014It's nice having such a good restaurant south of William Cannon which is close by. The hostess was friendly and helpful. Our server told us about their specials and took our drink orders. We ordered the shrimp and grits and the pork tenderloin. Both were fantastic and beautifully presented. Our only comment to the server was that perhaps a side order of bread should be served with the meals. The sauces are just too good to be left on the plate. Both desserts were out of this world to the point of my asking the server if they had to go desserts. We are looking forward to our next visit. We're also looking forward to when the weather turns cooler so that we can dine outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 78 reviews are from the District Kitchen and Cocktails reviews archive.
- Simply, a treatDroyedDined on 7/20/2014First visit to District Kitchen and it won't be the last. There are many places to dine in the greater Austin area, often they are presented as "must see" destinations. I have visited most, but will return to few of them. District Kitchen is one that I'm planning to visit again. It is small, but I like that and it still doesn't feel confining. Everything that I tried from the Brunch menu was a treat. I must return to sample from the Dinner menu and that will be soon. Wait staff was a pleasure. All in all, a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected to love District BUT...katikateDined on 7/19/2014I really expected to love this place. And my pork loin was perfect; the cocktails were well-balanced and yummy. But while my husband's steak had a great flavor, the cut itself was thin and unworthy of the name rib-eye. (I know, don't order steak unless it's a steakhouse!) But our biggest issue was the service. Our first set of drinks arrived after a good 12 minutes. Throughout the meal, our waiter was either inattentive or confused. One person at the table actually went to the bar for a beer after waiting 10 mins or so. He completely forgot my husband's dessert. The experience was a real let down. I did love the pork loin but we won't be rushing back.Special Features:
- Happy DinerHappyDinerDined on 7/15/2014Service was good and our food was excellent. I always enjoy an evening at The District.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great...worth the driveDRinDallasVIPDined on 7/13/2014We were on our way to wine country and stumbled upon this restaurant thanks to OpenTable. Food, service and ambiance were great. Loved the tacos, benedict and bacon beignettes! My wife left her purse but when we called they assured us it was safe. So we returned the next day and had dinner and drinks! Again, great food and service. Definitely worth a visit (or two)!Special Features:
- District DynamiteMichaelSVIPDined on 7/12/2014Bam! This place is great! It has been open for 9 months and promises to be our go-to neighborhood haunt. We ate lunch there today and our eyes are still rolling in delight. The appetizer Hog Wings came with a subtly sweet and spicy sauce that we used to smother the perfectly braised hog shanks. The Texas chopped salad with chicken was a recreation of this salad made famous in California amplified by a vibrant vinaigrette. The Norleans Shrimp excited my mouth with slightly sweet grits topped by two sunny-side up eggs and six succulent shrimp. The peach cobbler with cinnamon ice cream dessert was irresistible. The fresh local peaches dotted the perfectly chunky cobbler and the ice cream pulled it into another dimension. Wow!Special Features:
- Fine Dining in Circle CAnCGDined on 7/6/2014The challenge this restaurant has is catering to a burgers and beer/fajitas and margaritas crowd as well as a slightly more refined group who have moved from large cities or areas with more diverse cuisine. The neighborhood has been waiting for this type of restaurant. Menu is seasonal, farm to table and always interesting. In other words, it's a great place to discover something you may not have had before such as bronzini (a fish) or "hog wings" which may sound strange, but are actually delicious in a non-pretentious yet relatively stylish room. Servers are extremely warm and friendly with exceptional knowledge of the menu. I hope they stay so we can try everything on the menu.Special Features:
- Finally - great food in SW AustinGroovin57Dined on 7/5/2014The District has been open for a while, but we just tried it out last weekend. We were very favorably impressed, and are thrilled to have a quality restaurant, that's not Tex-Mex, in the neighborhood. I'm GF, so I was very glad to see numerous menu items were either GF or could easily be made that way.Special Features:
- First Try @ DC+C4leafFoodieDined on 7/3/2014Our reservation was for 6:30 and we were seated immediately. Unfortunately, our table was in a corner next to the server's computer station at a four top for just two of us. Not the best ambiance or view for a rare date night for me and my husband. Next time we will probably sit outside now that we know its pretty casual. The food and drinks were good. We had the hummus duo, N'awlins Shirmp and Grits, an the Ribeye to eat. We had a Hemmingway's daiquiri, and a District Mule (in a copper cup- yay!) to drink. Presentation and taste were spot on. I was hoping for some kind of off the menu special and a bit wider of a starter selection, but it was an overall good experience.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2014Thought it would be more vibrant - 3 occupied tables for Sunday Brunch at 12noon. Service was friendly but slow - food was well prepared and presented nicely. It's convenient, but I don't know that I would make a special trip back unless we were just hanging out in their bar - that seemed like it could be a fun spot.Special Features:
- Love this placeTinkDined on 6/25/2014I have now been to The District 4 times and each time the food was great. The menu changes seasonally so there is always something new to try. They have an interesting take on most dishes so they are the same old same old. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed exprience; great drinks!DistrictMuleRocksDined on 6/22/2014Excellent waitress & front of the room; music a bit loud for my hearing ability; interesting décor & lighting; my Bronzini was well presented and a bit overly don, quite tasty once through the excessive grill mark / charring; District Mule cocktail was fantastic; one other dish at our table had under done pork; clearly an up-scale spot; unique / fun environment w/ innovative menu ideas & great service; I will return hoping for some slight re-thinking regarding doneness of individual dishes; love it is so close to my home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, spotty serviceAtxdinerDined on 6/11/2014Good food, at least what they had in stock but service was very spotty for even the simplest of things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood Restaurantutgal24Dined on 5/31/2014This place has a great seasonal menu. I had the hamachi sashimi appetizer, which was delicious, and the truffled prosciutto flatbread- Amazing! I also had the lemon lavender cake for dessert...I am a dessert person and I was not disappointed one bit. If you are in the area I HIGHLY recommend you try this place. It has a great vibe, and almost feels like it should be downtown but it is still pretty low key. The staff is personable, and there is a decent amount of (free!) parking. :-)Special Features:
- Excellent foodLizMDined on 5/27/2014We recently had a delicious meal at The District to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. The service was top notch and the food delicious. I had the chicken & pear and my husband had the bison burger. The chicken had so much flavor, not your ordinary chicken breast meal. The tx salad was also great, it was chopped small enough to eat and included lots of extras to make it unique. The bison burger was piled high and had a just off the grill flavor. I look forward to the summer menu change to see what they will make. I especially think the food is a good value when you consider that it is gourmet and not something you could just make, definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyDinerDined on 5/26/2014We ate dinner and it was delicious! I'll continue to go to The District and take friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Circle ChungrymanDined on 5/17/2014This is a great spot for a romantic night out or some drinks with friends. The service is excellent, especially from the bar staff who know their drinks and cocktails really well. Please support this local place so it stays in business a long time and continues to evolve.Special Features:
- Can't wait for Summer MenuAustinsteVIPDined on 5/16/2014We had the Sea Bass that will be on the new menu. It was great. I can't wait to see what other changes are in store. This place is consistently great and never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as expectedpuppyvaugnDined on 5/11/2014Food portions were very small, especially for the price. We were there for Mother's Day brunch, and my 8-year old son ordered the kids waffles. When he finished, he asked what we were going to have for lunch. It was an incredibly small portion. My wife ordered the chicken and waffles -- her portion of waffles was the same size as the kid portion. I honestly believe that the Eggo waffles my boys eat at home are bigger (maybe not as tasty, but bigger). I had the egg sandwich, which was very good -- but the potatoes that came with it were almost inedible. Way too salty and tasted like they came out of a prepared, frozen bag. I noticed the potatoes were left behind on plates being removed from tables around us, so it wasn't just me.
- Great find in the Circle C area!CynthialuvsfoodDined on 5/10/2014Wait staff was awesome, so friendly and helpful when my son spilled his milk! Food was great, new flavors and fresh. The spinach on the chicken with pears was so unusually different than anything I tried before, so good and crispy!!! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and atmosphereSspechtDined on 5/9/2014First, let me say that the food was incredible, we had the "Hog Wings" which may be my new favorite food. The interior had a rustic Texas feel, but a lot of also steampunk style to it, it was an interesting combination. We will try out the patio next time.Special Features:
- Best in South AustinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014This place is truly special! They had a great band outside, service from Jacob was spot on. Food was great as always. We will be back again and again. This is the best restaurant in south Austin hands down!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.