2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtcommonsdc.com/
- Phone: (202) 587-8277
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks; Executive Chef Alfredo Solis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: On Washington Circle near corner of 22nd St. and Penn. Ave.
- Public Transit: District Commons is located two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro on the Blue/Orange Lines , and is serviced by Metrobus and the Circulator.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is located in front of District Commons and is available every day of the week from 5:30 pm until close of business. Valet is also offered Sunday Brunch starting at 11:00 am until close of Brunch. Valet charge is $8. There is also a parking garage for the building, the entrance for garage is located on 22nd St.
A word from District Commons
Located on bustling Washington Circle in the West End, District Commons is anchored by a monumental raw bar and an open hearth oven for flatbreads and savory tarts. A 'Pig Board' of ham and biscuits will showcase a selection of America's finest hams. Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks serves up classic American cuisine in this gorgeous setting. Chili Glazed Duck, Brick Pressed Chicken, Classic Hanger Steak - these choices and more! Freshly baked breads and desserts round out your meal. Try one of our regional American drafts or exquisite wines, or sample from the 99 Beers on the Wall!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Commons reviews from OpenTable diners
438 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (165)fit for foodies (164)neighborhood gem (115)great for lunch (115)hot spot (104)vibrant bar scene (95)special occasion (90)great for brunch (78)notable wine list (66)great for outdoor dining (38)romantic (35)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (22)late-night find (20)Show More
- Good but priceyrrating1114Dined on 11/23/2014It should be said that I loved what I ordered- the meatloaf with green beans and a sweet potato wild rice hash. However, the menu pricing was very skewed. There were very few entrees less than $20, and even the burger was $17. Overall it was still good, and I would recommend going for a special occasion or when you'd like to treat yourself.Special Features:
- Bad experience with a classic cocktailladybugdcVIPDined on 11/22/2014We have been to District Commons so many times that I have lost count. We always order the District Old Fashioned. On Saturday night, we had to return the drinks because they were HORRIBLE. We know what an old fashioned tastes like, and this was bad. The drink tasted like it was made with either cola or ginger ale - neither of which belong in the drink. After we apologized to our very awesome and accomodating server (Isaac?), the Manager came over to speak with us. She told us that she and the bartender both tasted the drink, and it tasted fine to them. She then handed us a menu and suggested that we try something else. Not cool. We ordered beer instead. As always, the food was delicious, but we were very let down by the cocktail service. Please look into this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinnerWinningVIPDined on 11/22/2014This place was awesome. The food was excellent, service excellent and the astomophere was so inviting. Just observing other customers plates they are look so good. I had shrimp and grits which were the best I've had. The pretzel roll was to die for. I cannot say enough good things about this place. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for young professionalsMNvisitorsDined on 11/21/2014The food was good and server was very attentive, knowledgeable, and friendly. Our table was close to the bar, which was quite noisy since we were there right after work on a Friday, but it became quieter as the evening went along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not impressedFOODIEVIPDined on 11/21/2014Pretzel was about the only item that was remarkable. Overpriced and underwhelming.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/20/2014Went for lunch with a friend. I had the butternut squash bisque and a salad with pears and grilled winter greens, and we shared a chocolate cake dessert. All were fabulous. The salad had some unique qualities that came together wonderfully. Our server and all of the other staff I had contact with were very professional. My only complaint about the service was that our waiter seemed to have been trained to do an upsell whenever the opportunity arose, including those times when the $ isn't necessarily obvious to less-savvy people -- the way he offered the water options, the pretzel appetizer, etc. Not unusual but more noticeable than I usually see. I hope to go back for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchriaDCDined on 11/20/2014Took my friend here for her birthday lunch. There were three of us ladies in the table. The food was served fast. So this was good considering we only have an hour for lunch. We were surprised considering we all ordered a seafood dish. The servers were all courteous. Great place for lunch if you want to have a little more ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service Going DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/19/2014I've dined at District Commons frequently and the last experience was quite unpleasant. It was so loud that my friend and I had to shout at each other across the table to be heard. The waiter took forever to come take our order. No water was offered for at least 20 minutes. Once the waiter took our order, he promptly forgot mine, prompting me to suggest that perhaps he needed to write it down, which he didn't. He still did not offer to get me water or take drinks order until I sarcastically asked if I could possibly have something to drink. Fifteen minutes after we ordered, another waiter came by to ask my friend what she ordered--apparently our waiter forgot her order too. Once the food came, my dish of scallops over rice was so salty that I kept having to guzzle water for the rest of the evening. Not a pleasant meal at all.
- Nice for a business lunchMicDCDined on 11/19/2014The food was quite good, I had salmon with lentils which was very tasty, my guest had the crabcake and pronounced it very good. The pretzel bread is excellent. Server was kind of absent-minded, not very attentive, and they tend to take plates out without really asking if you're finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First-timer that will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2014I visited for the first time after it was suggested by a friend. I was definitely pleased that I went. I made reservations and they were ready to seat us within 5 minutes of our arrival. The food arrived in a very timely manner. The only improvement I would say is to have the wait staff enunciate their words when speaking. We found ourselves piecing together his words to decipher what he was saying and it was not due to the noise level. The restaurant offers valet parking for dinner but they should specify the time the valet service arrives on their website. Oddly the address is 2200 but it is pretty much at the corner of 23rd so that was bit confusing. Nonetheless, I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super spotPattyDined on 11/16/2014Perfect location for Kennedy Center shows with the KC shuttle just steps away near the Metro. Parking a breeze. Food was very good, don't miss the flatbread appetizers -- but they're large, so plan on sharing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014great place for a large group, good drink specials. The food was good and filling. Large wine/beer list. Close to attractions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Atmosphere, disappointing experienceThomasDined on 11/14/2014Went for a late (8:30) dinner with a friend on a Friday night. The restaurant itself was quite nice, but nearly everything else was a let down. The waitress treated us like children when we were ordering, but ultimately we both ordered an appetizer and the two most expensive steaks on the menu. She forgot to bring us our appetizers, though they weren't included on the bill. For the price, the steaks were a huge let down. I know it's not a steak house, but there are plenty of other DC restaurants with comparable prices and much higher quality meat. The restaurant was so loud we could not hear each other in the booth we were seated at. I would not go back.Special Features:
- speedy serviceKandKJDined on 11/14/2014We explained to our waiter that we had limited time, we were attending an event at the nearby Kennedy Center. He recommended items he knew would be ready quickly. Indeed it was and delicious too! Will definitely return when we have more time to linger. A great find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great time here, we were not rushed ...GeorgeHaneyDined on 11/14/2014We had a great time here, we were not rushed to get outtat there like some reastaurants in DC... and they wait staff was attentive but not intrusive... food was good... prices a little high but it's DC..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchantment of the Not So Common CommonsCommonsDined on 11/13/2014The food here is always of stellar quality and the service never misses the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place to meet friends.EatingoutsvilleDined on 11/12/2014It is a bit noisy, but you could consider it vibrant. The food was good, except for the mussels - a few in my dish were completely uncooked. Our waiter started out attentive, then seemed to completely disappear. I'd go back and hope that our service was better and I would not order the mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kennedy Center...or just hungryBorincanoVIPDined on 11/12/2014I picked the restaurant by geography because we were going to the Kennedy Center. The server took note of the fact that it was my wife's birthday and treated her like a queen. He was a helpful guide to the menu, and his recommendations were enjoyed by the whole party. He kept an eye on the clock and knew what time our curtain was. Just terrific. The menu is fun, and thorough...whatever kind of mood you're in when you hit the front door you'll find a selection that makes sense. Our party's entrees included a delicious duck breast, scallops, and shrimp and grits. All were well prepared, delicious. The Boston Cream Pie was out of this world. (and yes...we made our curtain) We'll come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newarkDined on 11/12/2014The restaraunt was a bit noisy, but the food was quite good. The service was great. It's a great place to entertain clients. NewarkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at reasonable pricesGreatfoodDined on 11/10/2014Recently ate here at the advice of friends, prior to attending the opera. Terrific meal reasonable priced. Fast service and knowledgeable waiter. Valet parking for only $10, included time at the opera. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as advertiseddkbrunerDined on 11/9/2014When on a first date, you want as little to go wrong as possible. To be able to valet in front, have attentive but not obtrusive service with excellent recommendations only makes the experience sweeter.Special Features:
- Great Find in Foggy BottomOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/9/2014This was the first time dining, and we were pleasantly surprised. The location near GWU was great. Even better was the food. I highly recommend the Steak Tartare, The scallops and the korean BBQ pork chop were also highlights. Service was attentive, but the pace was slightly slow. If you have plans for after dinner, make sure to let the server know. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Brunch with the girlsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Went to District Commons this weekend with a couple of friends and had a wonderful time. Food was great, staff was knowledgeable and welcoming, atmosphere was upbeat and inviting. It was a great start to our Sunday. Make sure you have the pretzel baguette while you wait for your meal :-).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Delicious food and a great wine list! Felt like they were rushing us through to flip the table on a Saturday night though with a junior waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious seafood!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014All the mussel options are amazing but my favorite is the white pot in the cream sauce. I had the salmon with sauteed spinach for my entree, it was cooked perfectly and the spinach was delicious! My BFF ordered the scallops with orzo pasta, Amazeballs!!!! Every time I go to DC, the mussels and scallops are a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insensitive to AllergieszsandDined on 11/6/2014I ate at District Commons for a friend's birthday last Thursday. I am anaphylactic to fish , and generally tell every server at every restaurant of my allergies and carry an Epi-Pen in case of emergencies. After telling my server that about my allergies, she told me she would make the kitchen aware. Long story short, she didn't do so in time, and I was seconds away from eating a burger that had been cooked on surfaces share with fish and fries that had been cooked in the same fryers as fish. The head chef then came out to tell me that there were few things on the menu I could eat-something I should have been informed about prior to ordering. Had the server gotten to my table seconds later, the restaurant would have had a big problem.Special Features:
- SolidIndependenceDined on 11/6/2014Great dinner & the staff was very considerate of my mother who was in a wheelchair. Just really noisy. A reliable and solid dining experience.
- Great New Find!TheBartonsDined on 11/6/2014We were looking for a place close to GWU to meet a family friend from Florida for dinner. My son chose several places and based on the menu, I chose District Commons. While a touch noisier than I would have liked, we were still able to enjoy a lovely conversation and the food was excellent. Our waiter was also superb! We will be dining there again before our son graduates this spring.Special Features:
- BobbyODined on 11/3/2014it was my first time at this restaurant. It was more upscale and the food was better than i expected. Had a delicious salmon entre. Service was a little spotty.Special Features:
- Nice space but not a brunch placeGAonOTDined on 11/2/2014Great service ... sat right away with Open Table reservation despite a line of folks waiting ... but brunch was disappointing... maybe a better place for drinks and aps. Nice atmosphere and our waitress Gracie was very attentive despite being really busy.
- SWAMSWAMDined on 11/2/2014We go to District Commons becaause of its closeness to the Kennedy Center. The food is good, but for someone gluten free it is a challenge. It would be helpful if they couldlist gluten free on their menu so the server doesn'thave to always check. Our server was new and failed to put our entree in, so we had a long wait and if we had not planned enough time would have had to leave before our food came.
- Everyone enjoyedPersnicketyVIPDined on 11/1/2014As a pretty decent cook, it's rare that I'm happy with meals at restaurants, but District Commons delivered on a recent Saturday night where 4 of us dined. We shared one of the flatbreads (like a small pizza, with 1-1/2 pieces for each of us) to start, then sampled trout, duck and brick-pressed chicken; all were moist and the chicken and duck had nice crisp skin. Nice cocktail, wine and beer lists, too. Everyone was happy and said they would return! It's boisterous, with a young crowd; we appreciated the valet parking ($10).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedEnjoyswineDined on 11/1/2014We normally have a good experience during lunchtime, when it's slower. However, this time, the food was not well prepared, overcooked and extremely slow. It took 40 minutes just to get our appetizer order placed. We choose a 5;30 reservation to make a 7:30 show just down the street and we ended up having to rush at the end, couldn't finish our wine in time, and couldnt get coffee or dessert because it took over an hour and 20 minutes to get food. Probably not the best place to go on a saturday night.Special Features:
- Good food, Good friends!GWMomDined on 10/31/2014Great place to meet friends, have a drink and enjoy a great meal! Especially like the pretzel bread and duck breast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An excellent dinner meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Went for the first time on a Friday night with a good friend from out of town, and it was excellent. We both had crab cakes, and they were delicious. I only wish they were a tad bigger, they were that good. I recommend this restaurant to anyone, and Look forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, so loud hard to adjustMikeVIPDined on 10/30/2014I love this restaurant, but at night with the bar right next to the dining room, I could hardly hear myself think. You do adjust, but it was pretty unpleasant when we sat down. It is better towards the back. Food is quite good.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!DCguyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Met some friends from out of town for lunch and the food was terrific. The Lamb Sausage Flat Bread was nicely spicy and was a hit for the appetizer. The crab cake sandwich was outstanding as well but the real showstopper was the Brick Pressed Chicken! It was the best chicken I've had in quite some time!Special Features:
- cacophony and chicaneryOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/27/2014"energetic" for me means much toooo noisy. our waiter asked if we wished pretzel bread but did not inform that it was not included !Special Features:
- Great service and tasty foodlimelight15Dined on 10/27/2014Excellent place for a dinner with out of towners! Really shows off the DC food scene, with great service to boot.Special Features:
- Uneven experienceScottVIPDined on 10/27/2014There was a break between lunch and dinner service that I did not realize. Opentable took my lunch reservation for 2:15PM, but when we were 10 minutes late, we were notified that the kitchen closes at 2:30PM to prepare for dinner. We were invtied to have lunch at the bar area using the bar menu which was fine. The odd part was the demeanor of the bartender / server. He seemed angry to frustrated the entire time we were there even though there were basically no other customers. He was attentive and professional, but just seemed annoyed that we were there and vry curt when we tired to ask questions. The deviled eggs were bland and the bacon was dry. The calimari was much better! Go for lunch, but make sure to be there by 2PM!Special Features: