2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtcommonsdc.com/
- Phone: 2025878277
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks; Executive Chef Alfredo Solis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: On Washington Circle near corner of 22nd St. and Penn. Ave.
- Public Transit: District Commons is located two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro on the Blue/Orange Lines , and is serviced by Metrobus and the Circulator.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is located in front of District Commons and is available every day of the week from 5:30 pm until close of business. Valet is also offered Sunday Brunch starting at 11:00 am until close of Brunch. Valet charge is $8. There is also a parking garage for the building, the entrance for garage is located on 22nd St.
A word from District Commons
Located on bustling Washington Circle in the West End, District Commons is anchored by a monumental raw bar and an open hearth oven for flatbreads and savory tarts. A 'Pig Board' of ham and biscuits will showcase a selection of America's finest hams. Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks serves up classic American cuisine in this gorgeous setting. Chili Glazed Duck, Brick Pressed Chicken, Classic Hanger Steak - these choices and more! Freshly baked breads and desserts round out your meal. Try one of our regional American drafts or exquisite wines, or sample from the 99 Beers on the Wall!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Commons reviews from OpenTable diners
414 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (141)fit for foodies (140)good for groups (127)neighborhood gem (118)vibrant bar scene (90)special occasion (88)great for brunch (80)hot spot (78)notable wine list (51)great for outdoor dining (46)romantic (29)kid-friendly (27)scenic view (21)late-night find (18)Show More
- Very enjoyableQualityNotQuantityDined on 8/30/2014Food was good and pretty consistent. Between 4 of us we had meatloaf, scallops and pasta. The pasta was a bit bland, scallops very good and the guys loved the meatloaf. Wold return but was not as impressed as we were led to believe.Special Features:
- Excellent LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We had the shrimp and grits and the seafood cobb salad. Both were very good. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great bdayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Great bday dinner with a friend. Had a birthday menu and cake on the house! Overall just fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014This was my second visit to District Commons at 22nd and Penn. Both times were for lunch. The food is very good, and the menu offers ample variety. The wine selection is good with prices ranging from reasonable to high. The decor of the restaurant is bright and open with window views of Washington Circle. It is also spacious, so there's no feeling of cramped tables or diners on top of one another. The staff is welcoming and attentive. Definitely worth a visit, with reservations recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Night OutLizzyKDined on 8/24/2014Get the pretzel bread.....trust me! We had a variety of soups, salads and entrees. Good vegetarian choices (and the waiter was knowledgeable enough to make recommendations). The duck entree was dry and the bed of quinoa was extremely dry. The meatloaf was a real comfort food. The red lentil soup was very good as was the sliced asparagus salad. Good selection of desserts but the blueberry/lemon and boston cream pie were a bit dry
- District CommonsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food and service were very good. Tables were close, which contributed to a higher than normal noise level. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, busy servers!DCdinerVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food at District Commons is always great, and the cocktails are superb. Service is usually pretty good, too - but this time it took forever for our server to get to us, then forever to get out drinks. The manager noticed the problem, jumped in himself to help with our order, and even comped us the slow cocktails. We really appreciated it - his willingness to fix things more than made up for the earlier glitches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishDined on 8/20/2014You have to order the pretzel bread. Delicious and unique. Unfortunately, there aren't enough inventive options for vegetarians. Some fish options are boring. Good for meat lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findPalisadesDined on 8/20/2014Second visit within a week...good find, food very very good; service good; charming and convenient setting (parking will always be an expensive problem - maybe validate?); and also outside dining. All round what you expect from this restaurant group.Special Features:
- DC Restaurant WeekPussNBootz23Dined on 8/16/2014First time actually participating in DC Restaurant week we picked this place because we walked by once and liked the decor the large windows and the view out to the street and figured we'd give it a shot. We made reservations for 7pm on a Saturday got a follow up call earlier that day to confirm and was seated right away once we arrived. Coming from one bar already it was only right we kept the party going so we ordered Manhattans..they were amazing..in fact I couldn't finish mine! Our waitress Chris... good guy...great customer service..he took care of us. Chilli was great app, 1st time eating DUCK it was amazing (mouth waters just thinking about it) $100 well spent..good food..great conversation!Special Features:
- FJ4VHCDined on 8/16/2014If there were a more stars option available, I would use them. The superb food, the outstanding service, the entire wait staff made you welcome, the evening could not have been more perfect! Truly the great food and the great service made a fun night out, simpy supberb.Special Features:
- Superb!aczonaczoffDined on 8/16/2014Our service was great and the food delicious. We got the bottomless mimosas but the server wasn't pushy with anything else and was extremely friendly. I liked how he came not to check on how we were doing, but to make sure our entrees "were delicious."Special Features:
- Good foodYasiser2891Dined on 8/16/2014Had some great food at this place. I was surprised by their hue is rancheros. Had a nice little spicy taste to them. Our waiter was alright. He only came to our table at the end of the meal but I try to not hold the restaurant at fault there. Overall, good experience. Different server and I'd try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again, a hit!PescaterianDined on 8/15/2014Went for RW. Decided not to order off the RW menu because I had plans for dessert at another venue. I could have ordered off of the RW menu and been just as happy as I'd been w/ just having my entree. I liked that the entire menu (sans the recession proof items) were on the RW menu and that the portion sizes were resonable. There are many places that limit portion sizes and options, but this was not the case for District Commons (and the reason I selected this restaurant). I had the shark for dinner and enjoyed it. My friends had the shrimp and grits. I think they would have licked their plates clean if they weren't in public. It was my second time at the restaurant and I enjoyed it. Would definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but a little disappointingArcherVIPDined on 8/15/2014We went during DC Restaurant Week, and it was great service, and the presentation of the food was beautiful, but there was an issue. I ordered the kimchi pork chop, and it was very tasty, but I noticed the pork wasn't cooked all the way through. If it was steak, I woukdnt have minded, but pork is a different story. I sent it back, and it took them a long time for them to return it to me. By the time it was returned, everyone in my party had finished their meal. When they finally brought back the porkchop, it was still purple inside. Sigh. The kimchi on it was delicious thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2014Went for restaurant week. The food was good, but nothing spectacular. The happy hour $5 drafts and cocktails are a good deal, though, so I'll probably be back for drinks and snacks.
- Great Foggy Bottom restaurantTemisolDined on 8/15/2014Really great flavours in all the dishes tried. The warm fudge cake and passionfruit ice cream is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good, but...DiscerningdcdinerDined on 8/15/2014I originally had a reservation for two, but my friend had to cancel. I was seated at a table adjacent to the door leading to the outdoor seating area. EVERY time the door was opened, I got a wind gust that blew my hair into my face and probably cooled my food faster than it should have been cooled. I know restaurants need to maximize the number of tables, but managers need to sit at tables and put themselves in the customer's position.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/15/2014The portions were small. Some of the food was very dissapointing. The meatloaf lunch contained of dried out meatloaf, with green beans that were either canned or vastly overcooked. The burger, while tasty, was the size of the sliders served at other restuarants. The root beer float on the desert list was very good and very generous.
- Great ExperienceLove4foodDined on 8/14/2014It was my first time at Distric Commons but what a great experience. I have encouraged friends and family to visit and enjoy a great time. The service was spot on. The front desk folks made sure I felt welcomed and were a tad worried about me before my guest showed. The food was simply delicious and now I have a new favorite wine thanks to the wine list and the recommendation of the server.Special Features:
- Avoid restaurant week!VbbbVIPDined on 8/14/2014Accidentally ate here R week-- worst food I've had in DC in a long time.
- Passion-fruit Ice CreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014OMG! The food was amazing best restaurant week special ever. The passion fruit ice cream with the chocolate cake is so good.Special Features:
- Best burger in DC!LuvinDCfoodDined on 8/13/2014The short rib burger is the best burger I've had in DC. Amazing.Special Features:
- Great As Usual But....RCfromDCVIPDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I enjoyed a Restaurant Week lunch here, one of our favorites in Foggy Bottom. She had the chowder and salmon, and I the chili and blackened tilapia, all delicious. We ordered sparkling water, which is served out of a refillable bottle for $4. We didn't pay attention to the refills, similar to refills on iced tea. When the check came, however, we were charged for two bottles. I find it odd that the server did not ask us, "Would you like another bottle of sparkling water?" The other oddity was the note on the bottom of the check: "Prices do not reflect gratuity. We suggest the 20% standard". I usually tip at least 20% of the total bill (including tax). I used to feel that was a bit generous; now it is considered a minimum?Special Features:
- Lost our lunch order?KeepItFreshVIPDined on 8/13/2014Previous visits here have gone well, but this past visit, during Restaurant Week in DC, not so much. We waited a full hour for our lunch order, watching other tables get their food before us, and the server was pretty much MIA. We finally got his attention and he said the kitchen was backed up, but apparently only for our order. Once our meals arrived, the food was good, as usual, but we had to rush through it because of the time. I would have expected a comp meal for the bad experience, but instead we were given a couple of desserts, which we didn't want and really didn't have time to enjoy. It would be refreshing to have some honesty about whatever happened with our order and some respect for our time (a full hour at lunch) waiting.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Food was overall unimpressive. I can't say it was bad, it just wasn't exciting - especially for the price.Special Features:
- First EncounterAbeLDined on 8/12/2014We had tickets for a Kennedy Center event last night and decided to have dinner before the show in Foggy Bottom. The Kennedy Center shuttle picks up guests just around the block from District Commons by the Metro, so we decided to check it out. I highly recommend the Korean pork chop. It was so fantastic that I actually exclaimed, "Wow!" upon the first bite. My friends ordered the skirt steak and the brick pressed chicken -- also delicious and a bit more filling than the pork chop. Other favorites were the pretzel bread, the arugala salad, and the chili appetizer (the presentation was so delightful I actually sent it out on Twitter, which is uncharacteristic of me). Our booth by the window added to the dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food and servicetkfoodpicksDined on 8/12/2014I have been here twice and both times I've had excellent service and great food. if it was closer to my office I would be there a lot more!Special Features:
- First time was the CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014I'd never been to DC even though it is within walking distance to my office. I was greeted with enthusiasm and allowed to sit even though I was 15 minutes early for my reservation and my dining partner was not there. We had simple dishes for lunch. The Restaurant Week menu looked like a good deal, but it was more food than I was going to be able to consume. I had flatbread which what very tasty and light. My partner had a salad which was complete and, apparently, filling. I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BrunchLuv2DineDined on 8/10/2014Went to District Commons for a friends birthday brunch recently and it was delicious. The shrimp and grits was fantastic! You also can't go wrong with the funnel cake for desert.Special Features:
- Brunch...yum yum yumCarlDined on 8/10/2014Sunday brunch before a Kennedy Center matinee. We parked in a free spot right at the KC and it was a short 10 min stroll to DC. Arrived just before opening and got a nice outdoor table on Washington Circle. Service attentive and friendly but not hovering - excellent balance. The $5 Bloody Mary was a awesome deal, and the brunch selection on the menu diverse. Food was really very tasty and promptly served. Our friend limes her eggs cooked through on Eggs Benedict so they had to go back to the kitchen the first time - the staff waited for her to check them when they delivered them to the table. Minor oversight (and I don't get the cooked through idea either). All in all - a real winner! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Comfort food meets creativity and modern cuisine. Upscale and relaxed atmosphere made for a great night outSpecial Features:
- Great place!BearVIPDined on 8/8/2014Food great, and service as well. Give it a try! You will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time, great foodhappy2dineDined on 8/8/2014I've been here for lunch a year ago, and met friends for dinner recently. We were seated far from the bar, but later the noise level increased making it a little difficult for conversation. Everyone thought their food was delicious. Service was informed, helpful, and available, without hovering. FYI, the mini-root beer float for dessert is 4 little glasses with delicious vanilla ice cream and really good root beer. But I thought I was getting a small dessert. Not really, when only one friend helped me with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014Food and eating experience could be better for the price.
- A Second Chance Paid OffOmnivoreVIPDined on 8/4/2014We had a great time at District Commons, and I would happily go back for another evening. My companion ordered the day's catch and ate every bite, while I ordered the day's special salad and the Hand Pies, both of which were packed with flavor. Our server, Chris, was terrific: well-informed, welcoming, alert, and thoughtful. I had had brunch at this restaurant a few years ago and was unimpressed. This return visit reminded me that even restaurants deserve a second chance.Special Features:
- OKHoneydewVIPDined on 8/4/2014I had a flatbread and the trout. Good food and great service . We went early... 5:30Special Features:
- Great for Business LunchmarinastrezDined on 8/4/2014When I made the reservation, I requested a quieter table for a business conversation, and the table provided was perfect. District Commons' food is always excellent. The service is very good - almost intuitive. Recommended!Special Features:
- Tastyluv3dineDined on 8/2/2014Went here with friends for a goodbye brunch - very nice! Pretzel bread, so good!Special Features:
- RicardoDined on 8/1/2014The food was very good, but the restaurant is very noisy. The open plan of the restaurant lets the bar crowd noise into the dining area.Special Features: