2200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtcommonsdc.com/
- Phone: 2025878277
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am-2:30pm
DINNER: Monday-Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am-2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks; Executive Chef Alfredo Solis
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: On Washington Circle near corner of 22nd St. and Penn. Ave.
- Public Transit: District Commons is located two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro on the Blue/Orange Lines , and is serviced by Metrobus and the Circulator.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet is located in front of District Commons and is available every day of the week from 5:30 pm until close of business. Valet is also offered Sunday Brunch starting at 11:00 am until close of Brunch. Valet charge is $8. There is also a parking garage for the building, the entrance for garage is located on 22nd St.
A word from District Commons
Located on bustling Washington Circle in the West End, District Commons is anchored by a monumental raw bar and an open hearth oven for flatbreads and savory tarts. A 'Pig Board' of ham and biscuits will showcase a selection of America's finest hams. Chef/Owner Jeff Tunks serves up classic American cuisine in this gorgeous setting. Chili Glazed Duck, Brick Pressed Chicken, Classic Hanger Steak - these choices and more! Freshly baked breads and desserts round out your meal. Try one of our regional American drafts or exquisite wines, or sample from the 99 Beers on the Wall!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Commons reviews from OpenTable diners
413 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (146)good for groups (145)great for lunch (116)neighborhood gem (111)special occasion (88)vibrant bar scene (88)hot spot (88)great for brunch (69)notable wine list (54)great for outdoor dining (47)romantic (31)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (18)late-night find (14)Show More
- Great Lunch!DCguyVIPDined on 10/29/2014Met some friends from out of town for lunch and the food was terrific. The Lamb Sausage Flat Bread was nicely spicy and was a hit for the appetizer. The crab cake sandwich was outstanding as well but the real showstopper was the Brick Pressed Chicken! It was the best chicken I've had in quite some time!Special Features:
- Great service and tasty foodlimelight15Dined on 10/27/2014Excellent place for a dinner with out of towners! Really shows off the DC food scene, with great service to boot.Special Features:
- Solid dining; good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/26/20144 adults and 2 children enjoyed this restaurant. The flatbread and pretzel appetizers were very good, and everyone enjoyed their main courses. Kids menu was appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchrobbieDined on 10/26/2014Went for a special occasion with family and was very pleased Seems like they're getting better and better each time we go. We were given a nice quiet booth in the back. Enjoyed skinny omelet and egg quesadilla. Efficient and solicitous helpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Food was ok, nothing special... I had heard great things about the food, but none of the dishes we tried were great.Special Features:
- Dining with FriendsEliJoshiVIPDined on 10/25/2014Went for dinner with a group of friends before a comedy show at DAR. Food was excellent and our server was outstanding. We had to order some appetizers after the main courses; May be we were all too hungry or the food portions were a bit too small.Special Features:
- Always hoodAsilbabyDined on 10/24/2014I take clients to lunch here frequently. DC offers a diverse menu, excellent service, good prices. The food is always good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love District Commons!gwlawstudentDined on 10/23/2014The setup and decor is modern, and upscale. But the music is young and fresh, with a innovative/creative menu! This place is perfect for a lunch date, dinner, or drinks.Special Features:
- Girls Night Birthday Dinner for 2SheEatsDined on 10/22/2014Food is good. Service is good. Sometimes I wish there was more of a variety of lighter fare, but that happens. The wine list is good and I know from experience that so is the cocktail menu.Special Features:
- QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014The variety of dishes offered was great - the portions more than adequate (everyone took some home - which says 2 things - good food anf lots of it)Special Features:
- Great venue and staffTimmmillerDined on 10/19/2014We had a great dinner there that was originally supposed to be a family event for two birthdays. Due to some illnesses we went from 6 people to 2 people only an hour before the event and they still made personalized menus for us with my wife's name and really made it a special birthday for her. I would highly recommend District Commons for a regular meal or a special occasion. Plus the News 4 anchors were sitting right near by so it must be a good place!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Food was very tasty but out of six poached eggs ordered with our eggs Benedict, two were over cooked. We did expect them to be perfect.Special Features:
- Impressed before arrivalHardcoreBruncherDined on 10/18/2014I made a brunch reservation here for 4 people to send off a friend moving away. The reservation was for 2pm and made a few days in advance. Someone was courteous enough to leave me a message the morning of our brunch to let us know that the kitchen closed at 2:30 which was so helpful in making sure we were on-time and prepared. The food was great (others had more traditional brunch but I think my pumpkin ravioli was the best) and the service was good. No biggy, but my friends did bottomless bloody mary's and they ran out of celery which was a little odd but life goes on. My friend was told the avocados in his dish were "thinly sliced" upon asking while ordering and came out as a cup of guacamole...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my 23rd birthday!lynne2016Dined on 10/17/2014I made reservations a week ahead of time and the day of my dinner I was informed we would need one more seat and the staff were very accommodating and helpful with it. We actually got the best seat in my opinion; great view right in front of the restaurant. I informed them ahead of time that it was my birthday and they printed out special birthday menus for my party, and gave us complimentary pretzel bread, which was delicious. Service was pretty quick and we had multiple people check in on us, as well as our waiter who was very helpful and made an effort to make my birthday special. I also got a free piece of cake, and he sang to me! Overrall, I enjoyed my food and the service was great and I had a great night. Would def. recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best service everFoodieCTDined on 10/17/2014In town for parents weekend restaurant was packed. The service made us feel like we were the only customers. We selected most of the waiters suggestions and weren't disappointed. My husband asked if we could eat there again the me t night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; doesn't live up to hypeCovertfoodieDined on 10/17/2014I got a reservation for an early dinner at 6pm for my friend's b-day. Our plan was to enjoy a early leisurely meal/drinks and then walk to an 8pm concert at GW. We arrived at 5:40pm. While we were being seated we asked for a booth instead of the small table right near the loud HH bar. We were told that all booths had been reserved for larger parties. Enduring being so near the loud bar, we figured why not take advantage of HH priced drinks? No; our waitor told us we weren't eligible. Our waitor came by 3 times and each time introduced himself and said he was getting us water. Then we were told they don't have sushi as shown on their online menu. Lastly, our waitor rushed us out after our meal. The food was good; our service was very poor.Special Features:
- Great dinningDCProfDined on 10/17/2014This was our first time dinning at District Commons. LOVED IT! We will definitely return. Our waiter was awesome!! Food was amazing!! Menu items are traditional with a twist, which we all loved. One of us is a meatatarian and he loved the skirt steak.Special Features:
- Poor service, small portions.ConstantdinnerDined on 10/16/2014I ordered the special mahi mahi. The size was equivalent to an appetizer when it should have been an entree. I told the waiter about it and he said "what can I do, would you like another piece." I said yes. He never brought it. I went home after dinner and had a sandwich.Special Features:
- NOISY! but good.jswimsDined on 10/16/2014It's a great spot - one of my favorites, but I was so glad we six were a group that got seated way in the back at a private table because the noise was overwhelming. As a group, we want to be able to have a conversation without shouting. The food and service were excellent, as always.
- Mixed Reviewleebles73VIPDined on 10/16/2014My meal was excellent but my husband's dish wasn't. I had a light dinner of oysters and the arugula salad with pimento cheese puffs -- SO GOOD! I highly recommend it. My husband ordered the pressed chicken - I have had this dish here before and really enjoyed it. But he didn't care for it -- said it was bland and under seasoned. I took a bite and agreed; the skin and flavor of the chicken was not as good as I remembered. Our server was very nice. He knew we were going to a show at the Kennedy Center so he made sure we got out on time, but we never felt rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!marcyDined on 10/15/2014All of the food here is outstanding, but the pumpkin ravioli is absolutely to die for.Special Features:
- GLORYDined on 10/14/2014I loved their food!! If you are around Georgetown this is the place to go by and grab some delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frozen and exhaustedFrozen1Dined on 10/12/2014recently went to the district Commons and sat in a big booth near the window. it was a damp evening in the low 60s. air conditioning was blowing so cold and hard that two days later I sit here with a bad upper respiratory infection. Also I had to shout at the people sitting across the table so they could hear me amid the ridiculous din.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/12/2014I was really disappointed that the pumpkin ravioli was already out at 12:00 pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunchWinstonKDined on 10/12/2014We love this place for a great brunch with a group of friends! The food is always spot on and the bottomless mimosas are some of the freshest in DC. We have never been disappointed in this place and will continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok but busyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/11/2014We were there over the weekend and had our two year old with us. Overall the placed seemed too busy for it to operate well. I did not finish my food before my appetizer plate was removed only to immediately receive my meal after it was removed. The wait staff was attentive to water refills but we waited endlessly for a drink refill and left before that ever happened. I guess the bus staff was on but the wait staff was not. Doubt I would go back again but I will say it was fine place to take a kid in terms of the crowd not caring.Special Features:
- Great for pre Kennedy CenterHarrietD1Dined on 10/11/2014All was great but our waiter was very moody! Really warm some moments & really grumpy others. Couldn't figure out if he liked us or wanted to chase us outta there. Food was excellent. Good wine. Pretzel bread & scallops were awesome! Vibrant scene. Perfect for a pre Kennedy center show - there's a shuttle from metro around the corner to the KC.Special Features:
- Ok!SnapDined on 10/9/2014The pretzel bread is delicious ... the rest of the food is ok. There are many great servers here (more than one will wait on your table), but if you go late then things are pretty rushed.
- a bit disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014I have been to the District Commons several times, and it is usually quite good. Last week we had lunch with several people and it was a bit disappointing. The waiter was loud and rather rude, and the food was not as good as other times. I have not given up on this place yet, and hope my disappointing lunch last week was the exception.
- Good meal, great serviceClearCreekVIPDined on 10/6/2014Dined at District Commons before a Kennedy center event. Service was great and attentive, and the food was very good (would have been great but the spicy lentil soup wasn't spicy). The bacon flatbread was great and the skirt steak done just right. I'd visit again!Special Features:
- Great dinner spotthehappydinerDined on 10/5/2014Our party of 4 thoroughly enjoyed out dinner at District Commons. We came early, 5:30, for a pre-theater meal, so the noise level wasn't interfering. By the time we left at 7:00 the number of diners and noise level had accelerated. With our timing we were able to talk conversationally without fighting to be heard. We had a wonderful waiter, attentive and knowledgable, and his recommendations were excellent. We all agreed we would return.Special Features:
- Solid Southern eclecticJohnVIPDined on 10/4/2014District Commons has a lot of southern type dishes - their pig board, southern vegetable hand pies, North Carolina mountain trout; but also garam masala lamb and an oyster bar. The golden tomato gazpacho was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/2/2014I went with a friend for a pre-theater meal. Our waiter was careful about the time. We decided to eat outside since it was SO NOISY inside!! The food was good - a little on the pricey side I thought for what you got, and the fact that they charge for bread is a deal-breaker for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for a quiet boothMinnaDC7Dined on 10/1/2014I reserved a table for two through Opentable and noted that I would like a quiet booth. Thank Goodness the hostess actually noted this when I arrived at the restaurant. Although the restaurant was unusually noisy in the main dining area, we were led to the back where there were spacious and quiet booth seating. My friend, visiting DC for work, and I had a great meal (trout for me, salmon for the friend) and got caught up on the news in relative quiet. The service was efficient and friendly, and I like the contemporary decor. I only wish that the main part if the restaurant was not so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nightfpl8o9Dined on 10/1/2014The windows out to DC - Incredible. Saw a motorcade and lots of folks leaving offices for the night. But that is not why you choose a restaurant. The menu was creative. Great twists on some regular foods. I had the shaved asparagus salad. I didn't know what to expect, but got a beautiful pile of twisted, perfectly cooked, asparagus shavings, topped with a dollop of dressing. it was outstanding. I then dove into the soft-shell crabs, knowing it was late in the season. They too were perfectly cooked, with a hint of spicy-ness. The meal was great.Special Features:
- Busy, buzzy, tastydpfoodieDined on 9/28/2014A very nice meal in a lively and smart space, good service, great cocktail choice, excellent flatbread, reasonable valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiney if a spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014But the bees in the outdoor dining area were relentless and chased us inside on a gorgeous pre-autumn Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Night!PeebsDined on 9/26/2014Came here with my mother for her birthday; couldn't have asked for a better place to be! Roast duck and soft shell crab were on point. Love this place to death!Special Features:
- GW Executive CafeteriaDCwinerDined on 9/24/2014Always a convenient lunch spot, with excellent food and prompt service. You won't be late to class due to a run over of your lunch period. But the noise level is like eating in a high school cafeteria....out of control. If a food fight broke out....you wouldn't know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Ol' American FoodDCGuyFoodVIPDined on 9/23/2014Strong focus on American comfort food, well executed with a modern yet nostalgic decor. Service is generally very good. A small group and I hosted a birthday party for a friend. We notified them in advance and the restaurant printed menus with the birthday girl's name on them - a very nice touch! They also brought out a birthday desert (complementary) to help celebrate. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.