509 7th St., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtchophouse.com/
- Phone: (202) 347-3434
- Hours of Operation:
Sat. 11:00am - 3:00pm Brunch
3:00pm - 11:00pm Dinner
Sun. 11:00am - 3:00pm Brunch
3:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Mon. 11:00am - 3:00pm Lunch
3:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Tues.-Fri. 11:00am - 4:00pm Lunch
4:00pm - 11:00pm Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Rigoberto Bautista
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining rooms, which can accommodate 10 to 250.
- Private Party Contact: Suellen Keller 2023471922x
A word from District Chophouse
A classic American gathering place, the District Chophouse & Brewery is conveniently located 1/2 block South of The Verizon Center. We pride ourselves in serving the city's finest handcrafted beers and succulent steaks, mouthwatering chops, tasty seafood, and over-sized salads. Once you've eaten here, you'll agree the 'DC' stands for District Chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
294 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (110)special occasion (96)neighborhood gem (87)great for lunch (71)fit for foodies (64)romantic (60)vibrant bar scene (54)notable wine list (39)hot spot (37)late-night find (25)great for brunch (22)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Good Fillet!WizFanVIPDined on 11/21/2014The fillets are the best. The small size is just right and was prepared as requested at medium rare. A satisfying evening in a busy spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Pre-event DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/18/2014A great place to eat before the Theater of Verizon Center activities. The setting is fun and old timey, service fast and food very good, especially the complimentary cornbread in a cast iron skillet. You do need reservations as it is very popular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OvercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Both steaks were overcooked. We only sent one back though. The rest of the food was pretty good, but it's a shame since that was the main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall it was mediorce experience.FoodnDrinkGuyDined on 11/15/2014We were a party of 8 with a few couples. For a chophouse the porterhouse steak was bland and slightly tough. It appeared to have been cooked on a flattop and not a grill. For a $40 price tag I would expect much better. The appetizers were good. There are many other options for dining in the city which I would turn to before returning here. There were a lot of great reviews which let me to select this restaurant.Special Features:
- ClankWizFanVIPDined on 11/15/2014They put our group on the corner where servers and customers pass through. Their movements jarred the chairs. This downgraded the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBeBeVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food, service and atmosphere was fantastic. The entire party loved the location and the guest of honor was pleased with his retirement celebration. Kudos!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 11/12/2014A party of eight went to District Chophouse for a celebratory lunch. It's in a great location and its staff is used to large parties. We had colossal onion rings to start, an excellent choice. I had a salmon BLT. It was fine but nothing special. I have eaten here many times and the food is always fine but nothing stellar. Service is solid. Thus, it's a great option for groups and for anyone who wants regular food without frills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown DC Gem!cbeat1412Dined on 11/11/2014If you are looking for a good steak and a glass of wine, then this is where you need to be. Great food and good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BeerBerylDined on 11/9/2014I was very impressed with the Beer Brewery- The Stout and beer was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good serviceCamilleDined on 11/9/2014District Chophouse offers a variety of food. I love the Caesar salad and cornbread. Just wished the lighting was better. My party used our cellphones for additional light to see the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Capitals gamelogcabin4meDined on 11/8/2014We were in Washington DC for a family weekend and were looking for a family friendly steakhouse. The restaurant was very loud and the place was packed with people waiting to attend the Capitals game. Our food was good, but my prime rib was not cut correctly which made it tough, and I was expecting it to be great! I was let down by this. We had a pleasant evening and the service was good.Special Features:
- Not going backlvlabs24Dined on 11/8/2014We've been eating here before Caps games for several year now. At each visit we see the quality of the food decline. On this visit, the calamari was overcooked and tasteless, the BBQ shrimp was below average, and my burger was ordered med-rare but delivered med-well. With so many dining options available in the area there is no need to ever return.Special Features:
- Before the hockey gameCapsHockeyFanDined on 11/8/2014Great location near the Verizon Center for a nice evening dinner then onto the hockey game. Quick efficient attention as soon as we entered by the Hostess and the waitress was prompt and attentive. The only thing to mention that could have been better was the steak. It was a bit disappointing since the steak was not as tender as expected It was overly "chewy" for what I understand to be good cut of meat. I hope this was an off night for the steak since I have been there two other times and on those previous visits every aspect from hostess, to waiter/waitress, food, wine list, beer choices, etc. were impeccable. A suggestion is the Chocolate Mousse cake as an amazing way to finish off the dining experience.Special Features:
- What a disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/6/2014District Chophouse has always been our go-to restaurant for great food and service. Wow -- were we disappointed. The server was so harried we just didn't receive basic things (butter -- a napkin) until our meal was complete. The sirloin steak was a terrible cut -- very very poor, terrible taste though cooked properly -- and the wine was awful too. I can't believe District Chophouse would have food on its menu that isn't quality. I'll have to think twice before returning.
- Only one thing went wrong....EddntDined on 11/1/2014When my friend and I got there...we decided that we weren't that hungry so instead of ordering our own steaks, we decide to order one and split it. BIG MISTAKE!! Turns our that not only was I hungry, but the prime rib we split was tender and so delicious; I almost ordered a second steak just for me. So remember, order your own steak!!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014The food, service and atmosphere were all fantastic!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014We always have a great time at the Chop House. It never fails to impress. We were seated on time and had an excellent waiter.Special Features:
- Food and wine really hit the spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/20145 starts on the food, wine and service! In from west coast and took a couple my age (50 something) and a young couple with infant and toddler. Had the small private room by front door. Server played a tough hand perfectly! Happy with food from a kid pizza to a fantastic steak and Barolo. Bourbon Stout, Black IPA, not a miss in the bunch! I know where I will go on every DC visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before a showOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014Great place to eat before going to a show at the Vetizon Center. Our waitress was excellent-had us out in plenty of time even though we had barely an hour before the show when we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad..but not outstanding eitherMHodgkinsDined on 10/31/2014The good: our server was pretty good. Very friendly & welcoming. She didn't ask what salad dressing my husband wanted so he ended up w/ the same as me. She also didn't ask to ensure how he wanted his Ahi Tuna steak cooked. It was very under-done to his usual preference. It had to go back for a few more minutes on the grill. We never had to ask for drink refills, they just showed up when she noticed our glasses about 1/3 full. The excellent: iron skillet cornbread! Best part of the meal was free! The not so good: the calamari appetizer was, IMO, previously frozen...it was chewy. My stuffed pork chop was just ehh. The next day when a friend asked what I had to eat I had to seriously think about it for a minute to recall what I'd ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDineronFridayDined on 10/31/2014Food, staff and brew/wine selection are all excellent.Special Features:
- Great place for a groupmelmccDined on 10/31/2014We went as a small group before a show at the Verizon Center. The Chop House has great food, but even better was the service and atmosphere. It never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Game Dining and DrinkingBobFVVIPDined on 10/29/2014Often dine here when attending events at Verizon Center or other venues near Gallery Place/Penn Quarter in Washington DC. We made a reservation and dined 90 minutes before a Washington Capitals game. Wonderful hamburgers and beer made on premises, although the waiter got our beer order messed up this time. Unique setting in a former bank, 2 minute walk to Verizon Center. Not fine dining, but a fancy and more formal alternative to local fast food and bars.Special Features:
- ServicejohnmenocalVIPDined on 10/29/2014Robert was excellent and attentive as always! He is always top flight!!
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Great food and service! Would recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/24/2014Went during the marathon- get place for 2 days prior to race. Fantastic service- ambiance was beautiful. Great beer sampler. Would recommend!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnersunpointDined on 10/24/2014We took our 13 year old daughter and her friends out for dinner before the Washington International Horse Show. The restaurant was packed, but we were obviously in a rush and need to get to the show. The hostess seated us immediately and our waitress moved us very quickly (yet comfortably) through dinner. She later brought my daughter a birthday cake with a candle. We have gone to the District Chophouse many times before events at the Verizon Center and have never had a bad meal.Special Features:
- Lou KerdockLouieDined on 10/24/2014Traffic near restaurant was bad and my nerves were on edge when walking into ChopHouse with my wife to meet guest, who were late due to traffic. Our reservation time was honored withing minutes, and enjoyed where seated. Our waitress (name?) was super nice and very tentative, although it did take longer than usual to get my beer, which I needed to calm my nerves...LOL. My wife and I are retired so found your prices too high. We had to settle for sandwiches for dinner. My cheeseburger was extremely delicious, although dissapointed I wanted to try the seared Trout. Other than the high end pricing all of us enjoyed eating there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and MealoldiesDined on 10/24/2014Our server was very good. Attentive but not too much so. Steak was good but the flounder special was not. Fish was overcooked and tough and the crab stuffing was almost tasteless as it was all back fin meat. Calamari was very good to start. Mashed potatoes were as advertised - good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaddyDined on 10/21/2014I made a reservation for 8 people. We were provided with a room located at the left of the entrance. It was like having our own private room. Everyone enjoyed having the privacy as it was a businees meeting. Those who had never been to The Chop House were highly impressed. I have always enjoyed dining there for lunch and dinner. My husband had my 40th birthday party there a few years ago. It took place down stairs in the vault. It was a great success. The food, ambiance, drinks, servers were all outstanding.Special Features:
- excellent restaurantdanny8fizzDined on 10/19/2014Local gem. Excellent cuts, superb in house brews on tapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dining near the DC hubOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014Loved the ambiance and the convenience to the Mall.Special Features:
- The GreatestEndofperfectdayDined on 10/19/2014It has been a year or so since our last visit due medicals issues for us both. However, they did not fail us. From making our reservations to include the need to accommodate my power wheelchair; entering and while waiting for the hostess to grab menus while another employee, at the same moment, another employee readied our table without a word being exchanged; to the great wine and extremely delicious meal steaks prepared perfectly and great desserts to round out the meal, we has a very enjoyable time and will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurantTysonVIPDined on 10/18/2014We celebrated my mother's birthday and had never been to the restaurant before. They put us in a private dining area for 7 people. The service was great and all of thr food was delicious. Will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wkidsindcwkidsindcDined on 10/17/2014Our server was the best would definitly reccomend this to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staff, slow serviceSeeroseyDined on 10/17/2014Beautiful restaurant and ambiance. Our waitress was very friendly. Unfortunately the service was not so great. The drink service was very slow. We ordered martinis to start and by the time the drinks made it to the table, vodka and ice had been melting down in a pint glass, it tasted watered down. We ordered a bottle of wine at the time of ordering our meal. It was brought to the table after our steaks were served. I asked for steak sauce and never got it. My brother ordered the lamb, it did not look great, they were very small cuts of meat. My mom and I both ordered the NY Strip which were very tasty. Though they were clearly not the same cuts of meat. Mine was at least a half an inch thicker.
- Steak!luckyDined on 10/17/2014Great place for a filet mignon when you've got a craving. The crusted pepper preparation option was a home run. Solid wine list with everything from a $30 bottle to an $85 bottle of Cakebread and of course the beer is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChopHouse What a Find!2awesome4usDined on 10/17/2014My girlfriends and I started going there about 4 years ago and we have been coming back since. We rarely wait for a table even when its crowded. We are down to two of us but we will continue the tradition as long as we can. We have gotten to know a few of the waiters and bartenders as well so always get a wonderful greeting upon our arrival. We love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location poor foodLuvsteakDined on 10/16/2014My second business meeting here and two strikes your out. The steak choices are few and was poorly cooked. The restaurant is in a great location and appears to be very successful. Managers and chef's are dropping the ball.
- GoofyDined on 10/16/2014Service was fantastic. The cheeseburgers are to die for as are the sweet potato fries. Love them. No complaints from our table on anything that was ordered. (Lobster roll, salads, steak, even the chicken tenders were great). Will definitely return.Special Features: