509 7th St., NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.districtchophouse.com/
- Phone: 2023473434x
- Hours of Operation:
Sat. 11:00am - 3:00pm Brunch
3:00pm - 11:00pm Dinner
Sun. 11:00am - 3:00pm Brunch
3:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Mon. 11:00am - 3:00pm Lunch
3:00pm - 10:00pm Dinner
Tues.-Fri. 11:00am - 4:00pm Lunch
4:00pm - 11:00pm Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Rigoberto Bautista
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining rooms, which can accommodate 10 to 250.
- Private Party Contact: Suellen Keller 2023471922x
A word from District Chophouse
A classic American gathering place, the District Chophouse & Brewery is conveniently located 1/2 block South of The Verizon Center. We pride ourselves in serving the city's finest handcrafted beers and succulent steaks, mouthwatering chops, tasty seafood, and over-sized salads. Once you've eaten here, you'll agree the 'DC' stands for District Chophouse.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
District Chophouse reviews from OpenTable diners
258 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (90)special occasion (79)great for lunch (68)neighborhood gem (60)romantic (52)vibrant bar scene (42)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (31)late-night find (26)hot spot (25)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (6)Show More
- Bachelor party reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Menu had good selection and relatively good value. Nothing too special. Service was prompt and the beer was good. Did not acknowledge the bachelor even though I specified the occasion.Special Features:
- Hopefully just an off nightfoodlover218VIPDined on 9/26/2014We usually love district chophouse, but this visit wasnt reflective of the food or service we expect. First, I ordered a medium well steak. I know steak lovers scoff, but I have had plenty of juicy and delicious steaks cooked medium well. The steak came out about medium rare band wasn't rested at all. The mashed potatos were sitting in a puddle of steak juice. We hadn't ordered mashed potatos as our side. When we asked for it to be coked more, it came back dry and shriveled. We actually bagged it up and gave it away outside to a panhandler. They also over charged us on the bill. The server was good but unapologetic on the mistakes and we basically paid $70 for a salad. We usually love chophouse, but i could cook a steak better at home.
- Dependable diningHappyAnniversaryDined on 9/24/2014Having been to District Chophouse the last time we were in DC, I was expecting a nice dinner and was not disappointed. The menu has a nice selection of meat entrees as well as fish. The Atlantic salmon I ordered was cooked to perfection, well done as I requested but still moist, even succulent. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable, and very friendly. We will continue to patronize the District Chophouse when ever we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great.. Service not so muchJc55Dined on 9/22/2014Been to the DC Chophouse several times because the food is very good, steaks are better than good. The service was pretty lame the last time we were there. We will go back and hope to get a different waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedBDinVADined on 9/22/2014Those of us who ordered steak found our portions tough to cut and a bit too chewy. The one of us who ordered seafood found it flavorless and the crab meat topping refrigerator-cold. They comped her meal, but were not suitably apologetic. One of our party needed special accommodation, and despite knowing this, the table they chose for us was quite a distance from the door and made for an arduous walk.
- VeronDined on 9/20/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times in the past, and the food was great! However my latest experience was far from that. The food was okay, but not as good as I remember. The service left much to be desired. We were celebrating a birthday and I gave instructions regarding the celebration when I made the reservation. However the waiter did not initially acknowledge our occasion or even know exactly what we were celebrating. The overall experience was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Service not good. Food not goodHJonesesDined on 9/20/2014Oprah was in town and I made reservations weeks before. Made to stand in long line even though I had a reservation. After much demanding we were finally seated. Waited almost half an hour for a waiter. Had to ask for one! Food finally only to have dre burgers which we did not eat. Cornbread was cold - twice! WAitress das a smile the entire time although overworked. Restaurant was not staffed to handle the crowd. Surely they knew Oprah was at the Verizon center. Complained. Did not pay for food but tipped the waitress. Eaten there before. First bad experience. Peace.Special Features:
- JUST AWESOME!!!!!!!!!AlpieDined on 9/19/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place. I definitely would return to try more dishes. The corn bread w/ butter was amazing and my chicken w/pasta dish was fantastic. My group thought our visit was great! Service was well-timed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpineripperDined on 9/18/2014Excellent restaurant. The food was great as always and the service top notch. A tad noisy from the bar at times, but not unbearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Davidon9thDined on 9/18/2014Consistently Good food and drink, exceptional staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakJulipDined on 9/17/2014The meat at this restaurant is wonderful. I've been going there for years, and the steak still surprises me with how good it is. The side dishes are limited in number, but very good. The service is almost always excellent.Special Features:
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Always a space that I enjoy. The food is consistent and the service in excellence.Special Features:
- MC84Dined on 9/15/2014Great craft beer. Clean restaurant, and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 62GmanDined on 9/13/2014The server was just OK , Two of the four meals were not correct . I ordered Tuna steak it didn't have any taste and was raw it was to come with aspearagus , it came out with a small leafy salad . One of the other meals was steak that wasn't cooked correct with baked potato and came out with mashed potatoes . The bathroom upstairs was small and dated , the bathroom downstairs smelled like a sewer and I could still smell it well after I left the bathroom . The positive was the restaurant appeared clean and well decorated .
- Great steak, beer and cornbreadFoodie78Dined on 9/13/2014Overall great dining experience. The beer samples in tasting portions are highly recommended. Relaxed pace of the food arriving made the meal more enjoyable, preparation and seasoning we're right for everything we ordered. Will definitely return to try more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Good food and service. Very close to Verizon CenterSpecial Features:
- CarolynnDined on 9/12/2014The place was Very crowded early on a Friday evening and very noisy. Not a good place to go if you are looking to relax and engage in conversation. The food was fine but nothing special. The waiter was very efficient but also very brusque.
- Good and ConvenientafvaDined on 9/12/2014This was a great place for dinner. Had a simple meal of crab cakes and a baked potato, but enjoyed it. Needed to be finished with dinner by a certain time for another engagement and I was happy to see that the waitress was mindful of the time it took for our food to delivered. Recommend to anyone in need of good food and a convenient DC location.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere!NoraDined on 9/7/2014This was our fourth visit , even though we live out of town. It's a great meeting place, near American Art museum. The food, service, atmosphere are all first rate--or we wouldn't keep going back! BTW, each visit was outstanding and we had friends, family meet us there--all age groups and we all enjoyed it. This area is a great place for restaurants, tourist sites and shops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK ValuePnLRedmondDined on 9/6/2014The food itself was really good and our service was good too....... but with a name like District Chophouse I was expecting more of a "Mortons/Ruths Chris" feel..... but got a "Applebees/Bennigans" feel instead...... I don't want to sound like a snob, (I like Applebees and Bennigans at times). The value, food and service were good.Special Features:
- Great Food Great BeerCigarsdglinnDined on 9/5/2014I chose this restaurant really based more on sampling the beer (which I did) but the decor and food was excellent we were very impressed and like this establishment allot (not just for the beer) but the overall decor and quality of the food. We had the salt crusted prime rib and it was really good. For beers they have a great selection and one of the few to offer "cask" conditioned which happens to be a bourbon stout, (two of my favorite things in one drink; beer and bourbon).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The DistrictVetManDined on 9/3/2014My experience at the Chophouse was great as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyonetommydjDined on 9/1/2014We were looking for a nice place for dinner - to celebrate a significant birthday. My husband wanted steak and a fine wine list, while the 20 somethings are into craft beer. Our waiter Vince was terrific; everything was well timed and prepared perfectly. While we all opted for beef, the salmon, tuna and the daily fish special all sounded delicious. Don't miss the onion rings!
- good steakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Went here for the steak and was not unimpressed. Must say that I was quite happy with the overall atmosphere as well!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014I took my Mom here for her birthday before going to National Theatre for a show. Chris, our server, was fantastic, very attentive and had great recommendations. The food was excellent and service was fast. My mom and I had a wonderful time and made it to our show with plenty of time to spare.Special Features:
- Gotta go!JAF1Dined on 8/23/2014The filet and lamb chops were superb! The white cheddar mashed potatoes were also great!! Topped it off with amazing chocolate cake. All with great service, timely food, and enjoyable atmosphere. Wide range of dress from casual to evening wear.I would recommend this to a friend.
- happilyretiredhappilyretiredDined on 8/23/2014We went for brunch on a Saturday and it was not crowded, The petite filet with poached eggs, Hollandaise, asparagus and home fries was excellent! Had a beer flight as well - very interesting!Special Features:
- Lets go to chop house !GILSDined on 8/19/2014We are from Germany and we enjoyed the dinner at the chop house very much. The sirloin steak was perfect and the mood in the restaurant very agile. The service was professionell. Thanky for this nice evining in Washington DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014Had 6 friends with us for dinner before a concert at the Verizon Center. Two had prime rib that was average, but one got the Rockfish "special" for $28. Anything but special, very small piece, still had the skin on it and the dark membrane had not even been removed. I called to complain and "Mehdi" was supposed to "do something" for my friend. (I was expecting a gift certificate or something). Never received anything or a follow up!
- Good food near the Verizon Centerluv2dineDined on 8/19/2014Enjoyed the meal. Quick service before a concert and the food was quite good. The service even better than that. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Pre-Event Must!WalkerDined on 8/19/2014Love the Chophouse. First time making a reservation. Normally visit before and after all Washington Capitals home games. Great beer. Friendly atmosphere. Service is always the best. Staff seem to like their jobs which makes going the experience that much better. The Chophouse will get packed at night. Normally a wait to get seated in the evening (sign of a great place). Would make a reservation if your going to an event near by. Food is top notch. Chicken Tenders at the best around but the whole menu is well worth the trip. Something on the menu for everyone. Rockfish (Striped Bass) is killer! And did I mention the beer. Brewed in-house and so fresh. Love this place. Can't say that enough. A must if your in DC. Let's go Caps!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Amazing food and fantastic service!!! We got there early and were recommended to enjoy the last bit of happy hour then we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just adequateBlakeDined on 8/18/2014Had dinner here with spouse and two children. Service was slow despite not being very crowded and the food was only so-so. Given the cost, which was close to $150 with a few glasses of unimpressive wine, there are better alternatives in the area. I would not return.
- Not impressedJtownfab6Dined on 8/17/2014Overall not impressed with the quality of the food... Waitress not knowledgable about the menu and was very vague when asked a question. Good location, suboptimal dining experience ...
- Not what i was expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014I've been wanting to try this place for years and we finally went this past weeekend. I've been looking for a good steakhouse in DC and District will not be that place. The quality of the meat was not impressive and it was not cooked to the way we liked it. We are not the type to send food back so just got through it. The most disappointing is probably the quality of the steak, I've had better cuts of meat at local/hole in the wall places across the country. The buffalo shrimp was very good. Other than the steak, everything else was fine. Still disappointed...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014I thought the food was good. My only complaints are that my steak was a little under cooked. I asked for medium and it was medium rare. The bathrooms were disgusting. Overall the experience was good and my wife really enjoyed the crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Nice selection of beers. I enjoyed the dark brews that were pretty smooth and tasty. My biggest problem was with the food and the service. I went there during Restaurant Week so the selections were extremely short. Unfortunately, they only had one steak option and I guess everyone ordered the same dishes so they ran out of certain items (baked potato) . The service was not quick enough so i ended up with a slightly warm steak that was kind of tough to cut through and the mashed potatoes tasted like they were out of a box. Our reservation was around 7-730pm and we didn't really leave until 10pm. I enjoyed the Spinach artichoke dip and the cheesecake, and most definitely the beer. Won't recommend going during Restaurant Week.
- AverageSteakDined on 8/16/2014Went as a part of restaurant week and overall disappointed by the experience. Main dishes arrived only five minutes after appetizers, sent it back to have the same steaks return after another five minutes. Waiter was excellent and reordered immediately but then ended up with a Med-well steak instead of my Med-rare order. All was resolved thanks to the great waiter but overall, will not try again.
- The steak was okOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/16/2014We ordered from the Restaurant Week menu and 3 of us ordered the NY strip for our entree. We asked to have them cooked at different temperatures and they all came out wrong. The steaks also had hardly any seasoning. However, the buffalo shrimp and wedge salad were delicious. Our waiter did the best he could, but he disnt visit our table that much nor did he refill our water glasses until we asked. He wasnt all that knowledgeable about the menu either...maybe he was new?
- Loved ItjmossDined on 8/15/2014My friend and I decided to try out this spot for DC resturaunt week. So glad we did. I had the spinach artichoke dip appetizer, NY strip and potatoes with a cheesecake for dessert. Phenomenal. Steak was cooked to perfection. I will be going back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.