Dish Bar & Grill
900 Main Street
Hartford, CT 06103Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dish Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.dishbarandgrill.com/
- Phone: (860) 249-3474x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Carbone
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Service Catering Available
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact restaurant for details and availability
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Russell (860) 906-7611x
- Special Events: Sunday Brunch
A word from Dish Bar & Grill
An award winning restaurant serving exceptional food. Dish Bar & Grill has quickly become known for its inventive American cuisine, chic interior and exceptional service staff. Enjoy a private dinner for two, drinks at our expansive bar or just stop by for a sweet at our dessert bar. With choices for everyone, we're sure you'll leave happy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dish Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (30)great for lunch (25)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (18)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (9)hot spot (8)great for brunch (6)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Anniv dinnerSueSDined on 8/23/2014Anniv dinner - great food, different and deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Variety!BlandDined on 8/22/2014Haven't been here for a long time but it still draws! Nice variety of dishes, deliciously served. My only dislike is it's industrial decor, which feels a bit cold to me. Sorella, their sister restaurant across the street, much more inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple fresh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Delicious flavors are brought out of simple, farm fresh food. We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/15/2014My co-worker and I had lunch here on a Friday. Only having an hour for lunch, I was hoping for quick service. We had a server we hadn't had before and he was fantastic! We will definitely do this again.Special Features:
- Organized a group dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014The staff was helpful and attentive. Food was good. They made it easy to work with. I would use again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC LUNCHDianeVIPDined on 8/4/2014We went here to celebrate my birthday (a little belated), but our waitress was absolutely wonderful and even went out of her way, after listening to me brag about the delicious cookies they have there, to put candles in two and bring them over. The food here is always absolutely delicious! I would always recommend DISH as one of my favorite restaurants downtown!Special Features:
- DonnaleeDined on 8/4/2014This is my "go to" restaurant in Hartford. It's in a convenient location, I like the ambience and the service is always very good. The food is usually very good. However, the grilled chicken on my salad during this visit was dry and rather difficult to cut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- babygirlDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant is consistently Excellent in all respects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night out in HartfordPattypool50Dined on 7/26/2014Being from the "burbs", we usually don't venture in the Big City for dinner. We make an exception twice a year to try new restaurants during The Taste of Hartford. Dish did not disappoint. Our waiter was excellent,when asked about the menu he knew it well,and made many helpful recommendations,all which by the way were delicious. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't be fooled by valet parkingWaltDined on 7/25/2014Over hyped with an over salted menu. Place was nearly empty on a Friday night which didn't justify the long wait between courses. Didn't get the decor, which seemed indecisively chic and hic - the sports page hanging over the urinal was awesome .
- Birthday DinnerluveatingoutDined on 7/5/2014I booked a reservation here that included a note about my wife's birthday and despite arriving early and deciding to eat in the bar area and forgetting to notify the hostess, the staff still brought out a birthday dessert which surprised my wife as she never saw me make any communication with the staff regarding this. Its good to know that the staff reviews and honors these special requests.Special Features:
- SteddieEddieDined on 6/23/2014I found the dining experience at Dish very good. I happened to go there for lunch on a gorgeous day and was delighted to find Dish has outdoor dining available. The service was good and the food was also very good. I didn't get a chance to try their fried brussel sprouts but will definitely plan to go back soon to experience this treat. Overall I'd say check out Dish. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful Find in Hartford!HoustonGirlDined on 6/20/2014Our group was in town for a conference and we booked a reservation based on their location and the menu. We were delighted with this restaurant and couldn't believe they weren't packed on a Friday night! However, that allowed our waiter to give us his undivided attention and he was wonderful! There were 8 of us and while I can't remember what everyone ordered, I had the duck breast and it melted in my mouth! Our table ordered the mac and cheese, the brussel sprouts with bacon and oysters on the half shell. Everything was wonderful! We ordered several desserts for sharing and the one that stands out in my mind was the creme brulee -truly one of the best I have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dish is inconsistentDrbiffDined on 6/20/2014Great service but the food was nothing special. The salad was rather skimpy but the rest of the appetizers were great. The hangar steak was rather tasteless and tough. It should be off the menu. The ahi tuna tuna was good and tasty but was rather chewy in some places. Ambiance is good. Not sure I would return.
- Great find in HartfordRosencrantzDined on 6/14/2014We are subscribers to Hartford Stage and like to go to the restaurants that offer discounts to theatre goers. Dish is the best so far and is just around the block from the theatre. They offer 20% off entrees so we did not do the prix fixe, which was fine because we ran out of time for dessert. (Next time...) The shrimp and grits appetizer was the hit of the night. The charcuterie board was clever and mostly locally sourced. The duck great was fine and cooked to perfection. It was on a bed of fried rice and duck confit. The scallops were great too. The kitchen was slow but we made the curtain. Local beers, challenging wine list, knowledgeable server, smart decor and lighting - we'll be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best veggiesveggienutDined on 6/14/2014The food in Dish is wonderful. The have the best veggie sides, don't miss the Brussels sprouts and the mushrooms.Special Features:
- Great for pre theater mealMelODined on 6/10/2014Very good restaurant with friendly and professional service a block away from Hartford Stage. We had the steak frites. Delicious.Special Features:
- ConvenientJustsaying1Dined on 6/8/2014Great spot in Hartford downtown; close to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AreyoureadyAreUreadyDined on 6/7/2014Very good well prepared food by obviously a chef and excellent attentive service .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014Nice place for lunch. Food was very good and service was fine. People are very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-theatre mealNancyDined on 6/4/2014We've dined here twice pre-Hartford Stage and found both food and service delightful. Some evening we'll try a later hour to see how the quality holds up under pressure or late-night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICESoapsterDined on 5/30/2014We had theatre tickets and the waiter made sure we had plenty of time to enjoy our meal without feeling rushed. The food was excellent. I had ordered the scallops. They were delicious but the accompanying sauce was extremely salty. I did bring this to the waiter's attention and he promised he would tell the kitchen. Every other aspect of both our dinners was great. Great food and atmosphere at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Great Professional LunchBillBuddeDined on 5/30/2014As a place for a business lunch, hard to beat Dish! From the moment we arrived, the service and attention to details was great. I intend to use Dish whenever there is an important lunch meeting to be had. Food great. Service great. Ambience very good (sometimes a little bounce).Special Features:
- dish - best in downtown hartfordjoe7Dined on 5/29/2014Most reliable restaurant for business client lunches and conference dinners in hartford. Great bar scene for work crowds. Yet still has a romantice vibe at dinner. Menu is consistent and interesting. Restaurant staff is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Chicken EverLoveDinningOutDined on 5/24/2014Went to Dish with my family, we ordered the Filet Mignon, Scallops and Chicken. The first two were great, the chicken was beyond awful. It's advertised as "1/2" a chicken, it's barely a quarter of a chicken and the edible amount was smaller than a silver dollar pancake. It's beyond dry, hard, overcooked and also will cost you $22. Hopefully if you order it your waiter will care, unlike ours, and either fix it or remove from your bill. The waiter was the cherry on top, in a bad way, and could have cared less thus ruining the entire dining experience.
- Fresh and creative cuisineBrooksie24VIPDined on 5/17/2014My significant other and I enjoyed dinner at Dish in Hartford on 5/17/14. Free valet parking is a draw in downtown Hartford. We tried the Calimari appetizer - which was fresh, delicate and perfectly fried. The spicy sauce was tasty. The portion size is huge. Enough for 4! I had the Rigatoni Bolognese. Shredded veal, pork, beef combo in a red sauce. Spectacular. He tried the duck. He said it wasn't up to his standard - as he is a superb cook - and makes a mean duck himself. I had a duck entree earlier in the week at another well known area restaurant. I have to say, that Dish's duck could not compare. I suggest slicing the duck instead of serving in chunks and upping the portion size. We shared the creme brulée for dessert. Scrumptious!Special Features:
- Decent job for party of 7GmanVIPDined on 5/15/2014Dined with family for dinner on a Thursday nigh @ 8:00t. Not crowded at all. Food was very good, service OK, bar service quite slow. The food preparation was quite good, presentation not creative, however the portions were enormous. Stuffed shrimp looked like little lobsters and very tasty. Foie Gras was excellent, but had to ask for toast points as it came "naked". A bit pricey, given we had no wine and only cocktails.Special Features:
- Run don't walkNycartsDined on 5/15/2014Outstanding food and service. Pleasant ambience with quiet linen clothed tables set apart for a quiet evening. Bar room is lively but set apart from the dining room. Dinner of charcuterie board, salmon was perfection. (the locally made Brie is amazing) Martini, wine selection by server, and crime brûlée all made for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Great first visitNewHavenFoodieDined on 5/11/2014Delicious food, very fresh ingredients, imaginative dishes beautifully prepared. Great bargain for the fixed price Mother's Day brunch. Dessert buffet was very nice. It was a real surprise to have a piece of cake that wasn't dry or tasteless like some "beautiful" desserts can be in a restaurant. This one was perfect. Good service, not obtrusive at all. We will come back again for sure.Special Features:
- DorisVIPDined on 5/3/2014Soft shell crabs were excellent. Service was spotty. Wine list could be better.
- dinnerPattDined on 5/3/2014we always enjoy DISH and I love the tuna trio--just the best ever!!!Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014The taste and presentation of the food was very good. Ashley was outstanding in serving our table; she was very helpful and attentive without hovering.
- The following 779 reviews are from the Dish Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Aways an enjoyable meal....LabdoodlvrDined on 4/30/2014As soon as you enter the restaurant there is always a smile to great you. The food and service is always fantastic.Special Features:
- Good experienceCasualdiner2014Dined on 4/26/2014I brought my girlfriend here for her birthday dinner. Everything turned out nicely. I would have like to have bread at the table for free, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Every Time!PERFECTDined on 4/25/2014Constantly great experience every time. We moved an hour away so we don't come down to Hartford as often as I would like. Our bar waitress recognized us from 2 years ago which is impressive. I found your place about 4 years ago and have dinned lunch and dinner at least 5 times. Constancy to me is the key to a great dinning experience. I have recommended your place to several friends and always hear the same thing back...it was great. You guys make it worth the drive from an hour away to come more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyJamesAllynDined on 4/25/2014Did not live up to the hype or the hyper prices. The portions were fashionably tiny and the overall quality was no better than OK. Might try again if the stock market improves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional ExperienceGreatDined on 4/22/2014When I sat down and saw that their sources included Anson Mills and Benton's Country Hams, they showed that they are serious about their food. I started with the shrimp & grits, both because it is one of my favorite meals, and because it is rarely done well, particularly up north. It was outstanding. My main course was the hanger steak, rare. The searing was perfect - great crunch and flavor, yet the steak was perfectly cooked and delicious. I kept forgetting to use the steak sauce because the pure steak was wonderful, but the sauce took it to the next level. The service was also outstanding. Ashley was our server and she was terrific - great service, great disposition, and she clearly knew the menu and what makes each dish work.Special Features:
- Not as good as usualDowntownDwellerDined on 4/20/2014I have eaten several times at Dish. The food is usually superb. This was not so on Easter. The charcuterie was sparse. The egg salmon Benedict had very little salmon. We were the only diners but the eggs came very late anyway. One in our party manages a restaurant and was very disappointed as was I.Special Features:
- Fantastic!cinacioDined on 4/19/2014The restaurant itself was gorgeous and a great combination of modern meets vintage details. Definitely perfect for foodies and romantic dates. Also, we had the best service from our waiter and the staff that we've ever had anywhere else ever. The food was a bit bland, but very nice presentation and an awesome variety on the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent food, mediocre serviceTOTLDined on 4/18/2014The food was excellent and the ambience perfect for a Fri. nite: service could be amped up a bit but it may have been only our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.