430 East 9th Street
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://dirtcandynyc.com/
- Phone: 212-228-7732
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Amanda Cohen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Cross Street: Between 1st Avenue and Avenue A
- Public Transit: 6 train to Astor Place, L train to 1st Avenue, N&R train to Eight Street and F train to 2nd Avenue. The M8 bus stops in front of the restaurant. Banquet Facilities: We are willing to close the restaurant for private events. Please contact us for details if you're interested.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from Dirt Candy
Cutting edge vegetarian food with added flavor and no politics in this sleek and stylish underground room that’s a showcase for crazy, pop-tastic dishes from award-winning chef, Amanda Cohen. A below-the-radar wine list, raves from Gourmet and Bon Appetit, and vegetables presented in all their earth-shattering, gob-smacking glory.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Dirt Candy - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Dirt Candy reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (25)hot spot (17)notable wine list (13)late-night find (7)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Innovative & SpecialSutoDined on 8/28/2014Dirt Candy never fails to amaze. There are many components to eat plate with levels of flavor. Every plate has texture, crunch, chew, and excitement from candied grapes in the celery dessert, smokey brocoli dogs, crunchy potato topping on the potato appetizer, etc. You will be mesmerized through the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousTalikDined on 8/28/2014Delicious delicious food, really surprising and wonderful takes on what appear at least to be the most familiar of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentkmacDined on 8/21/2014Absolutely loved our dinner at dirtcandy and would say it was the highlight (best meal we had) of our trip to NYC. Will be back next time we visit NYC.Special Features:
- slyfoxDined on 8/19/2014excellent service small portions left hungry food not tasty weird combinations of ingredients did not enjoy will not return
- Very fun for a vegan!kleeny88Dined on 8/19/2014I went with my brother, an omnivore. He wasn't as impressed/excited as I was. I think the owner waited on our table. She's intense and might make people uncomfortable (including my brother), but I support strong women. She she was very upset about something and was telling one of the waitresses so and it was unprofessional; she should do that in private. I LOVED the potato and broccoli -- highly recommend them, and big portions. The broccoli is fascinating, it really tastes like a hot dog...it's too much flavor for one person (I tasted it for hours) so I shared with my brother. Both worth trying. My brother loved the mushroom. The beet was tasty but not special, same with the popcorn pudding - not worth it. Super fun for a vegan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it takes all kinds.HealerDanDined on 8/15/2014I had to wait 4 weeks to get my reservation and then it was for nearly 10 o'clock at night. The anticipation was wonderful. I don't walk well so I arrived on my small electric scooter. It hadn't occurred to me that there restaurants that couldn't provide handicap access. I got around that one but when I was greeted with "please leave your scooter outside on the sidewalk" I admit I was a little resentful. A Harley is 10X heavier than my scooter and it has a key, I don't. Wow. As they were late in finding a table we figured that one out too. It's a jolly place with jolly people. While the food is considered a rave and they generously offer to exchange ingredients for vegans without the cream, eggs, butter & cheese the beautiful food is boring
- Waited months for a reservationMichaelZDined on 8/15/2014Difficult to snag a weekend table at this veg hot spot. Worth the wait. Loved the potato appetizer. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impressedgwilliamDined on 8/15/2014Vegan fine dining is a rare thing and this place went above and beyond. The entrees were amazing, but the appetizers blew me away. They were so special, unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a must try in New York!VeganfrencheezDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I finally got a table after having to cancel a reservation in January. It was so worth the wait! The food was extremely delicious. We had the tomato cake to share, beet gnocchi and the broccoli dog (everything vegan). Although we were full, we also had the popcorn pudding which was so yummy! Everything was cooked to perfection and the service was extremely nice. Dirt candy is on now my top 5 best vegan places in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/8/2014Amazing vegetarian cuisine. Beautifully prepared dishes. And anything can be made vegan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hush Puppies superb, not much elsedavidSVIPDined on 8/8/2014Very small and lacking character dining room. Jalapeno Hush Puppies are truly superb - the texture, the combo of spice and sweetness, and together with maple butter - pure heaven. Unfortunately, all other dishes (both appetizers and entrees) were average at best. Particular disappointment was Beet Gnocchi - undercooked beets serves with a few tiny tasteless dough droplets which in no universe would ever be called gnocchi. unusual, but inexpensive and rather nice wine list. Good desserts.
- Exceeded ExpectationsLeeMiroDined on 8/2/2014Each new bite contains a symphony of taste with one intriguing note following another. I found myself looking at the plate and wondering how they did it. Tasting the Tomato appetizer, I felt like Violet in Willy Wonka trying the nine-course gum (happily, I did not inflate into a grape). The small space is relaxed but energetic. The staff is warm, knowledgeable, and excited to talk about the food with you. Despite the extremely sophisticated cooking going on here, there is no pretension. Amanda Cohen took our order and was as open, receptive and down to earth as anyone I've encountered in any restaurant. My fav dish was Beets; eat bite tasted just a bit different from the last, keeping my taste buds in love till the last.Special Features:
- Food far better than serverlsmi44Dined on 8/1/2014I've been a few times and food is always delicious and interesting. This time was good, however, everything was quite salty (and I love my salt). Our server was easily the worst part of the evening. Her terrible attempt at seeming genuine about our needs as diners was laughable. Her voice pierced through every conversation I tried to have and she stood impatiently over us waiting for a response on dessert. We actually passed on dessert because she was so annoying -- to bad though, since that popcorn pudding is fantastic. Looking forward to their new space and some new servers.Special Features:
- Great Vegetarian Spots!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014Came here after wanting to try the restaurant for quite some time. Fantastic experience all around. Beautifully plated and well conceived menu of veggie dishes. Will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Good Clean Fun!icaneatDined on 7/31/2014Amazing how such a small cramped kitchen abutting a miniscule dining room can turn out such incredibly sophisticated, whimsical and utterly delicious food...and no living creature needs to die in the process. The fascinating wine list and genuinely friendly, helpful staff--including chef/owner Amanda Cohen herself--make it so much fun to eat here--if it weren't so hard to get a reservation, I'd go there every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine vegetarian diningswetravelerDined on 7/26/2014Dirt Candy is a rare example of fine and innovative vegetarian dining. One of the best meals I had in years. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable. I hope the new and bigger version of Dirt Candy won't lose the charm of the original, but being able to host more dinner guests per night are of course a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMarkDined on 7/24/2014Food, service and ambiance were all perfect. Had been looking forward to eating here for over a year. It lived up to expectations. Each dish is truly about the vegetable and each dish surprises and exceeds your expectations. Beets main course was one of the best of my life.Special Features:
- RockandrollVIPDined on 7/23/2014You don't have to be a vegetarian to like this restaurant. What Amanda Cohen does with vegetables makes this a truly unique restaurant and dining experience.Special Features:
- great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014we had a wonderful time at Dirt Candy - great menu, staff and atmosphere!Special Features:
- deliciousbrnsquareDined on 7/11/2014my first time at dirt candy and had a great experience. I agree with everyone about the goodness of hush puppies and maple butter! I do not agree that the staff and chef are rude- they were very kind to us and chatted with Amanda Cohen for a minute. all around very fun dinner!Special Features:
- Best vegan restaurant in New YorkOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014This is my favorite restaurant of all time. It's a little expensive, but well worth it. The wine list is exceptional and the food...it's genius. There are no words. You just have to experience it. I would be truly amazed if non-vegans didn't appreciate it just as much. Be sure to get reservations way in advance--it gets booked up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whimsical and delicious!!HungryogiDined on 7/10/2014Super artful, creative, and delicious! Service was amazing, such a wonderful, quaint atmosphere. But the real star is the food...a lot of veggie places take themselves way too seriously, but everything here is super whimsical and playful...they really have fun with it, and you can see what pride they take in making vegetables the star. Pretty much a vegetarian's dream. Great for vegans too, as the first question out of the server's mouth is: "are you vegan or just vegetarian?" LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT, will most certainly be back.Special Features:
- One of the very best kitchens in NYBetterCheaperSlowerDined on 7/8/2014At the end of the meal, you're thinking you just had one of the great meals of your life. Not one of the great vegetarian meals - one of the great meals. I love eating great food. I like vegetables - and everything else. Dirt Candy may be vegetarian, but nothing is missing from this great dining experience. Tiny but terrific wine list, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014White processed flour, sugar, fried food is all over this menu. For a restaurant meant to promote healthy living in addition to delicious food, there seems to be a lot of "unhealthy" ingredients. And high calorie food. Food tastes average to above average but many items do not fit into a healthy diet
- Innovative vegetarian restaurantFood2good2missDined on 7/1/2014Whilst a very noisy and tightly packed restaurant, a Dirt a Candy is worth a visit because the food is unusual and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown Away!MKE2NYCDined on 6/26/2014Dirt Candy is by far the best place we ate while in New York on our Honeymoon. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was impeccable. I can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MostlyVeganDined on 6/26/2014I must admit that while I had heard the hype about Dirt Candy and had wanted to try it for a while, I wasn't so sure what is think. Everything we tried (and we tried a lot!) was amazing. Everything. You can't go wrong here. The service was also exceptional! Try Dirt Candy ASAP. Just be sure to make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Vegetarian Food EverdasmookeDined on 6/26/2014This was our second time at Dirt Candy, and it remains the best vegetarian restaurant we've ever been to, and among our best dining experiences ever. The food is all incredibly creative and beautifully considered, and at no point do you feel as though you're eating a meat substitute. The wine list is quite reasonable and well curated. The room is small, but the service is very personal. My favorite restaurant. Anywhere.
- The following 891 reviews are from the Dirt Candy reviews archive.
- Worth the wait!RahdeeDined on 6/19/2014To start we had the hush puppies and Tomato! The hush puppies were flecked with bits of fresh jalapeño and perfectly spicy. They were served with a yummy maple butter that could double as a cake frosting. Tomato! was a tart covered with skinned cherry tomatoes, just barely cooked over a creamy base and wrapped with a smokey tomato leather. Fabulous! The entrees were less exciting than the appetizers. Broccoli! was two smoked broccoli hot dogs. The flavor was smokey and vinegary--interesting but overpowering. Corn! was polenta and fresh corn with a tempura poached egg. The egg was spectacular and the dish was tasty, but not exciting. Tiny, well-priced wine list. Dirt Candy is tiny; if you arrive early you'll be waiting outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceMinkaDined on 6/17/2014I had to make our reservation nearly two months in advance, but it was well worth it. The entire experience from start to finish was wonderful. The server was attentive, informative and friendly. The food was amazing.Special Features:
- Must Eat!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Delicious vegetarian hot-spot!!!! Took a long time to get a reservation, but well worth the wait. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Most creative food in NYC!blackswansongsDined on 6/13/2014Dirt Candy takes the gastronomy of vegan and vegetarian food and elevated it to fine art. The dinner I had their was sublime and hedonistic all at once. Food creatively crafted into forms and tastes you've never experienced. It was an adventure...and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food did not have that "pop"ICUDocVIPDined on 6/12/2014When you go to a place such as Dirt Candy, where reservations sell out in minutes weeks in advance and you have to learn what day to make reservations to get one, you approach it a little differently than most. You don't expect ambiance, or comfort, or luxury. You expect great food and great service. And on this, Dirt Candy only half delivers. The service was impeccable. They understood our being late, were very accommodating with the tasting of wines, attentive and friendly. But the food - it was "not bad". The presentations were attractive, but the taste did not have that "pop" that one would expect. You did not say wow when you take a bite, you said "ok, that was good". Given the hype and wait for reservations, I expected more.
- great food, overbearing serviceluv2dine600Dined on 6/7/2014Food - always phenomenal. However, the waitress is impossibly overbearing. A good wait person is present when they need to be and then gone. She was constantly interrupting conversation and incredibly pushy to double up on orders. She also couldn't recommend a dish, simply stating, "They're all great."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014Full disclosure...I've been a vegetarian for more than 10 years and have a cupboard full of c.books which I use so I was excited to try this place out...I need to be wowed...this place did a decent job but not excellent. I'm from Vancouver and wanted to compare, Dirt Candy wasn't better than the vegetarian Restaurants I've been to there. My problem is these places tend to take themselves too seriously. I had the beet selection, the salty beets were unnecessarily salty, portions smallish, bread tough. (Try Acorn, Heirloom or Parker Restaurants in Vancouver). I was pleased to find unusual choices, as a vegetarian I get tired of being offered veggie burgers and pasta with veg sauce.Special Features:
- NOT OVER HYPEDVegoutDined on 6/4/2014Amanda Cohen brings vibrancy, creativity, passion, and vegetal knowledge to her presentations from appetizer to dessert, everything that leaves her kitchen is brilliantly conceived and wonderfully executed. True taste emerges from each dish. The food bursts with flavor that she seems to draw out of every ingredient, paired with each other, the meal choices are simply AMAZING. It is a tiny space with lovely wait staffers who are kind and quick. If only it didn't take two months to get a reservation, we would dine there more often as it is truly an elevated experience! Worth the delay in gratification from reserving to eating.Special Features:
- Awesome!TaylorDined on 5/30/2014This place far exceeded my expectations. The food was interested, unusual and delicious! Everything was cooked perfectly, the service was great and the decor was very pleasant. I would definitely go back-it was certainly worth the long wait for a reservation. Go there if you like vegetarian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!VeggieFiendDined on 5/30/2014I loved everything about this place! It was small and cozy, the staff were friendly (even when I called multiple times to change the number of people in my party) and most importantly the food was fancy, and delicious. Such a great menu I just wish I could have tried one of each. (Also the bathroom was adorable.)Special Features:
- Veggie vegan heavenJustvisiting77Dined on 5/27/2014Menu reads good, and waitress completely on top of the ingredients and explanations, so sounds good too. Visually a feast for the eyes and sublime taste/texture combinations. Can't recommend highly enough. It's small, friendly, a bit noisy in that you are close to the conversations around you, and you can see the kitchen, but this all made for a relaxed chatty meal. Go if you can but don't be late; people wait for no-shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IlovecheeseDined on 5/24/2014The food is so interesting and different, and really, really delicious! A fun experience!