Diorio's Restaurant and Bar
231 Bank Street
Waterbury, CT 06702Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Diorio's Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.diorios.com/
- Phone: (203) 754-5111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer large trays of food to be picked up.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining for all your entertaining needs. Please contact us with any requests or questions.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Izzi 2037545111
- Entertainment: We have Dinner music played by Tom Cruciani on most Friday/Saturday nights...Please call to confirm!
- Special Events: We offer Private Room Dining for all of your gathering needs from business functions to family celebrations.
A word from Diorio's Restaurant and Bar
The legendary history of Diorio Restaurant began in the early 1920's. The late Rocco Diorio was responsible for the fine traditional food and many lasting memories for most of the people in the greater Waterbury area. The restaurant was closed in 1980 and reopened in 1991 after total restoration to its original splendor. The legend continues as we remain true to those endearing memories. We have the original marble bar, oversized mahogany bankers booths, tin ceiling and the most impressive acid etched mirrors displaying historical Waterbury. We offer a Private dining Room for corporate or private functions. Diorio Restaurant has once again reclaimed the reputation as Waterbury's finest. It's ambience, memories, history, and Northern Italian Nouvelle cuisine supply a new and exciting dining experience for the adventuresome palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Diorio's Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (20)fit for foodies (18)romantic (16)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (13)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great place to celebratesteveatfceDined on 11/18/2014Somewhat pricey but food is outstanding. Booths are very high-backed affording both quiet and privacy. Service was excellent. Desserts to die for..........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerogaDined on 11/8/2014Everything was wonderful. But the room we dined in was quite cold. That was our only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findCarminesDined on 11/5/2014We needed a convenient restaurant in the downtown area with great food, excellent service and quiet enough for a business meeting. Diorio's met all of those requirements and more. Everyone in our party found something enjoyable that fit their taste. We highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Diners!RestaurantQueenDined on 10/21/2014We had a lovely evening here. The restaurant is beautiful!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightDoreenDined on 10/10/2014We love Diorios. Must have been an off night my husband ordered the maple glazed pork chops. They came very fatty and raw to the bone. Sent them back and when returned they were still not good. I had the bolognese which was wonderful Jenna was an awesome waitressSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014Food is consistently very good as is service. Love the old school decor.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!CTCommuterDined on 10/1/2014No surprises just consistently excellent straightforward Italian favorites. The veal Marsala is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Established as historic landmarkMikeDined on 9/27/2014Good location, attached internally to the Marriott Hotel, however parking is difficult if not staying at the Hotel. Food choices were classic, but interestingly different.Special Features:
- Excellence!donnarunDined on 9/26/2014Dined with friends before a show at the Palace. Even though it was Friday evening, I managed to get a parking spot directly in front of the restaurant. Our server was attentive and friendly, the food was outstanding, and the seating was comfortable and quiet. It was on the expensive side, however. Still, a great choice if you are going to see a show at the Palace in Waterbury.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food portion small, not enough !John2014Dined on 9/25/2014For the price they charge you for the portion it's not enough and not worth it. Pork chops thin cut, not thick and juicy. You cna do better somewhere else. The salmon portion too small, frozen not fresh.Special Features:
- The prefect dinner.Fra66Dined on 9/23/2014Great booth by the window for six. Our wait person, Sonia, was great. Very helpful. Food and drink were exceptional. Delivered in a timely fashion. Lots of menu choices. Great dessert selections. All in all, a great evening. I'll be back!Special Features:
- Not worth the pricePBGTOMDined on 9/10/2014Diorio's Restaurant had a very active bar scene for a Wednesday night at 6:30 pm, and the headwaiter was going to put us at a table near the bar where conversation for our party of five would have been impossible. We asked for another table and were seated in another room which was quieter. The Service was good, and the food was good but not exceptional (although the grilled asparagus were not edible -- and were removed from our bill). For the cost of the meal, we did not regard the overall experience as a good value. A curtain on the window of the room in which we dined would have (appropriately) blocked the view of a busy downtown street and a city garage.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and ambiancewiiildbillDined on 9/6/2014Beautiful restaurant and some excellent Italian food. Live piano.Special Features:
- Diorio never disappointsMediatordonDined on 9/6/2014We meet friends here a couple of times a year and it is always a delightful experience. Our waittress Jenna was extremely helpful and attentive and the bar, where we prefer to sit, is just a lovely old-fashioned room with tin ceilings. The booths are comfortable and the restaurant is quiet enough so that you can have a conversation without shouting. But, as always, it is the food that is the star. There are always wonderful specials and, while some of those were ordered, I defaulted to my favorite dinner there, the gorgonzola steak preceeded by a Caesar salad. My wife and I split the salad (mine with anchovies, please) and she had the cod special. And their house-made desserts are worth the calories. Thanks, again.Special Features:
- Drrkaplan@snet.netRichardDined on 9/5/2014Constantly great food and service. I miss the coconut shrimp and veal porterhouse dishes. Olive oil should be on each table to accompany the bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old friendsNSBDMGVIPDined on 8/22/2014Haven't been back in the area for quite some time. We came in early and the restaurant was deserted. We were concerned. But when the food started coming out it was just like old times. Great food, great service. And the place filled up as we ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaboulousDoreenDined on 8/20/2014The food was amazing as well as the service they never disappoint . The veal was amazingSpecial Features:
- DisappointingFrankDined on 8/2/2014Very overpriced. My salad was a pile of greens heaped on a plate the size of a coffee cup saucer with non-descript dressing. The asparagus was burned and very dry. The homemade gnocchi were good; however, the puttanesca sauce was definitely out of a jar. My son had the gemelli with sausage, which was commendable. An expensive night out....Very disappointing compared to past visits.
- The following 213 reviews are from the Diorio's Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Always a wonderful eveningHappytummyDined on 7/26/2014Diorio's has a wonderful atmosphere - beautiful woodwork, romantic booth seating in the front room, and a very attractive bar area. The food matches the atmosphere. Delicious Italian favorites: house-made pasta, rich Bolognese sauce, creamy risotto with a citrus reduction, and great desserts. Ask for the calamari "old style" - lightly fried, with fried hot peppers, a few blue cheese crumbles on top, and arrabiata sauce on the side. Attentive but not pushy staff. It always feels like a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Diorios has always been one of my favorite restaurants of 25 years....The food is outstanding, staff very pleasant...It is truly a nice treat to have dinner there....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Diorios.WaterburyfoodCTDined on 7/18/2014Your portions are too big, would like to see smaller portion with salad or desert included. Italian is what you are known for and you do that great. No need to have big menu or key lime pie. Also offer a coffee or espresso before dinner then wine with food as Italy does... Keeps you awake to enjoy the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diorio's RestaurantCindyDined on 7/18/2014Beautifully paneled walls and booths. The food was delicious and the service was great. A Neighborhood Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this spotSteveDined on 7/17/2014You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. From the steaks to the homemade fresh pasta. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I took my husband to Diorios for his birthday. Its a wonderful place for a romantic dinner, and this was just of several birthday dinners we have enjoyed here. Everything is always perfect. They only mild criticism I have is that the wine list has one of the highest markups I have seen. Its a small annoyance, but more realistic prices on wine might have had me ordering dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well establishedMikeDined on 6/21/2014Old historic place. Well worth the visit. Decor remains the same as the day it was built.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2014Diorio's has been a Waterbury landmark for a very long time. I remember being taken there by my grandmother when I was 8 or 9 years old. (I'm 74 now!) Although the restaurant was closed for many years, it was restored to its original beauty and reopened in recent years. I dine there often and have found its food consistently wonderful and the service informed, friendly and extremely helpful. I would recommend Diorio's without reservation.Special Features:
- Last Minute Stop - Great Find!DonnaODined on 6/14/2014We were traveling past Waterbury on a Sat Evening looking online for a restaurant in the area & found this highly rated restaurant. We did not know the exact arrival time and as it turned out we arrived a little early but the restaurant was able to accommodate us quickly. The restaurant was easy to find with free parking across the street, a plus. The staff was excellent and attentive. The restaurant has old time woodwork and the table we had the opportuntity to sit at was private with the high wood back seating. There are open tables in the middle of the dining area too. We had a crabmeat app & split a salad (more than enough). My husband had the seafood pasta special and I the sesame crusted sushi grade tuna. Bother were Excellent.Special Features:
- Always a great dinner!LunadunaVIPDined on 6/13/2014Started with fried calamari, antipasto and oysters on the half shell- all delicious. Everybody loved their entrees. Will return VERY soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy this restaurant!BethBDined on 6/7/2014The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, the food always good. The menu is a little pricey so more of a special event restaurant, for me. But I'm never disappointed!Special Features:
- Great MealJerrieDined on 5/22/2014Another fantastic meal. We eat here every year as we travel to Maine. And we always look forward to it and it never fails us. I had sea bass special which was served just right. Hubby pasta with beef tips, mushrooms and asparagus in red cream sauce. Split caprese salad. As always I give it high ratings.Special Features:
- Special OccasionKennyBDined on 5/9/2014Celebrated daughter's graduation from nearby university. Elegant presentation, great food, quick, courteous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I can wait to go back, If I say too many good things about the food and service I might not be able to get a table when the word gets out and then I would be very unhappy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/7/2014Great service and food, if you bring a date get a booth super romantic!!Special Features:
- Good food!LuvbostonDined on 4/26/2014We had good service and the food was great! We will definitely be back. If you prefer a quieter atmosphere this is not for you. It tends to get loud because of the folks sitting at the large bar. If that doesn't bother you, it's definitely a place you must trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripnightoutDined on 4/12/2014We traveled 30 minutes to get to this restaurant and it was worth it. Food, service were both excellent. Will be back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to D'Orios onOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I have been to D'Orios on several occasions and must say this one was not memorable. Food was fair at best and I have given second thoughts about going back. Pumpkin raviloli was nothing special and grilled chicken on arugala salad was dry. Certainly did not meet my expectationsSpecial Features:
- ExcellentHymieDined on 3/22/2014The food was delicious and the atmosphere was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great place to go toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Just a great place to go to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestsandiDined on 3/7/2014I love, love, love this place. I have friends that visit from SC and whenever they are in Waterbury visiting we ALWAYS come to Diorios. It my absolute favorite ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodHighexpectationsDined on 3/7/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food was excellent, service was very good. Would recommend!Special Features: