Diorio's Restaurant and Bar
231 Bank Street
Waterbury, CT 06702Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Diorio's Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.diorios.com/
- Phone: 2037545111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer large trays of food to be picked up.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining for all your entertaining needs. Please contact us with any requests or questions.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Izzi 2037545111
- Entertainment: We have Dinner music played by Tom Cruciani on most Friday/Saturday nights...Please call to confirm!
- Special Events: We offer Private Room Dining for all of your gathering needs from business functions to family celebrations.
A word from Diorio's Restaurant and Bar
The legendary history of Diorio Restaurant began in the early 1920's. The late Rocco Diorio was responsible for the fine traditional food and many lasting memories for most of the people in the greater Waterbury area. The restaurant was closed in 1980 and reopened in 1991 after total restoration to its original splendor. The legend continues as we remain true to those endearing memories. We have the original marble bar, oversized mahogany bankers booths, tin ceiling and the most impressive acid etched mirrors displaying historical Waterbury. We offer a Private dining Room for corporate or private functions. Diorio Restaurant has once again reclaimed the reputation as Waterbury's finest. It's ambience, memories, history, and Northern Italian Nouvelle cuisine supply a new and exciting dining experience for the adventuresome palate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Diorio's Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Waterbury ›
Diorio's Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- Old friendsNSBDMGVIPDined on 8/22/2014Haven't been back in the area for quite some time. We came in early and the restaurant was deserted. We were concerned. But when the food started coming out it was just like old times. Great food, great service. And the place filled up as we ate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FaboulousDoreenDined on 8/20/2014The food was amazing as well as the service they never disappoint . The veal was amazingSpecial Features:
- DisappointingFrankDined on 8/2/2014Very overpriced. My salad was a pile of greens heaped on a plate the size of a coffee cup saucer with non-descript dressing. The asparagus was burned and very dry. The homemade gnocchi were good; however, the puttanesca sauce was definitely out of a jar. My son had the gemelli with sausage, which was commendable. An expensive night out....Very disappointing compared to past visits.
- Always a wonderful eveningHappytummyDined on 7/26/2014Diorio's has a wonderful atmosphere - beautiful woodwork, romantic booth seating in the front room, and a very attractive bar area. The food matches the atmosphere. Delicious Italian favorites: house-made pasta, rich Bolognese sauce, creamy risotto with a citrus reduction, and great desserts. Ask for the calamari "old style" - lightly fried, with fried hot peppers, a few blue cheese crumbles on top, and arrabiata sauce on the side. Attentive but not pushy staff. It always feels like a special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Diorios has always been one of my favorite restaurants of 25 years....The food is outstanding, staff very pleasant...It is truly a nice treat to have dinner there....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Diorios.WaterburyfoodCTDined on 7/18/2014Your portions are too big, would like to see smaller portion with salad or desert included. Italian is what you are known for and you do that great. No need to have big menu or key lime pie. Also offer a coffee or espresso before dinner then wine with food as Italy does... Keeps you awake to enjoy the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diorio's RestaurantCindyDined on 7/18/2014Beautifully paneled walls and booths. The food was delicious and the service was great. A Neighborhood Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this spotSteveDined on 7/17/2014You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. From the steaks to the homemade fresh pasta. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I took my husband to Diorios for his birthday. Its a wonderful place for a romantic dinner, and this was just of several birthday dinners we have enjoyed here. Everything is always perfect. They only mild criticism I have is that the wine list has one of the highest markups I have seen. Its a small annoyance, but more realistic prices on wine might have had me ordering dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well establishedMikeDined on 6/21/2014Old historic place. Well worth the visit. Decor remains the same as the day it was built.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/18/2014Diorio's has been a Waterbury landmark for a very long time. I remember being taken there by my grandmother when I was 8 or 9 years old. (I'm 74 now!) Although the restaurant was closed for many years, it was restored to its original beauty and reopened in recent years. I dine there often and have found its food consistently wonderful and the service informed, friendly and extremely helpful. I would recommend Diorio's without reservation.Special Features:
- Last Minute Stop - Great Find!DonnaODined on 6/14/2014We were traveling past Waterbury on a Sat Evening looking online for a restaurant in the area & found this highly rated restaurant. We did not know the exact arrival time and as it turned out we arrived a little early but the restaurant was able to accommodate us quickly. The restaurant was easy to find with free parking across the street, a plus. The staff was excellent and attentive. The restaurant has old time woodwork and the table we had the opportuntity to sit at was private with the high wood back seating. There are open tables in the middle of the dining area too. We had a crabmeat app & split a salad (more than enough). My husband had the seafood pasta special and I the sesame crusted sushi grade tuna. Bother were Excellent.Special Features:
- Always a great dinner!LunadunaDined on 6/13/2014Started with fried calamari, antipasto and oysters on the half shell- all delicious. Everybody loved their entrees. Will return VERY soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy this restaurant!BethBDined on 6/7/2014The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, the food always good. The menu is a little pricey so more of a special event restaurant, for me. But I'm never disappointed!Special Features:
- Great MealJerrieDined on 5/22/2014Another fantastic meal. We eat here every year as we travel to Maine. And we always look forward to it and it never fails us. I had sea bass special which was served just right. Hubby pasta with beef tips, mushrooms and asparagus in red cream sauce. Split caprese salad. As always I give it high ratings.Special Features:
- Special OccasionKennyBDined on 5/9/2014Celebrated daughter's graduation from nearby university. Elegant presentation, great food, quick, courteous service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a special placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014I can wait to go back, If I say too many good things about the food and service I might not be able to get a table when the word gets out and then I would be very unhappy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old World CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/7/2014Great service and food, if you bring a date get a booth super romantic!!Special Features:
- The following 198 reviews are from the Diorio's Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- Good food!LuvbostonDined on 4/26/2014We had good service and the food was great! We will definitely be back. If you prefer a quieter atmosphere this is not for you. It tends to get loud because of the folks sitting at the large bar. If that doesn't bother you, it's definitely a place you must trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripnightoutDined on 4/12/2014We traveled 30 minutes to get to this restaurant and it was worth it. Food, service were both excellent. Will be back in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to D'Orios onOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014I have been to D'Orios on several occasions and must say this one was not memorable. Food was fair at best and I have given second thoughts about going back. Pumpkin raviloli was nothing special and grilled chicken on arugala salad was dry. Certainly did not meet my expectationsSpecial Features:
- ExcellentHymieDined on 3/22/2014The food was delicious and the atmosphere was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great place to go toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Just a great place to go to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestsandiDined on 3/7/2014I love, love, love this place. I have friends that visit from SC and whenever they are in Waterbury visiting we ALWAYS come to Diorios. It my absolute favorite ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodHighexpectationsDined on 3/7/2014Wonderful dining experience. Food was excellent, service was very good. Would recommend!Special Features:
- Sat. Mar, 1Gary33Dined on 3/1/2014We had a 5:30 reservation, we were seated promptly and our server Lauren was very friendly and provided us exceptional service throughout the evening. 3 of us dined in our party and we were celebrating my brithday. Appetizer we shared the chopped salad and an order of freshed cut onion rings. Both items were very tasty. For dinner my wife had the lobster tail, i chose the NY Strip Gorgonzola and my daughter had the Rigatoni ala Vodka. All of us were very satisfied with our entrees, perfectly cooked and full of flavor. For dessert we split a slice bannaffee pie which was excellent. We are always very pleased with each visit to Diorios, I only wish we could go there more often. The prices are a little high but well worth it for the qualilty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousDoreenDined on 2/28/2014We had an amazing meal. We started with the apple salad, then is had the sea bass special over cannelloni beans in a light tomato broth. My husband had the bolognese sauce over pasta. It was the best bolognese I have ever tasted. We then ended with white choc mouse covered in choc ganache They were very accommodating for our request for a booth in the bar YummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceBillBuddeDined on 2/28/2014Shhh: Diorio's is a secret weapon for lunch time meetings and a great half-way point for those traveling between Hartford and NYC. just don't tell anyone.Special Features:
- Great spotEdGenDined on 2/20/2014Dorios is a great spot if you love great food in a wonderful atmosphere. A bit of New York in downtown Waterbury!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DioriosAETSDined on 2/14/2014Travel takes us to the Waterbury Marriott a couple times a year and we look forward to dining at D'Iorios when there. Love the back entrance directly from the hotel so we don't have to go outside. Food is excellent, service is prompt and attentive. Favorites include Chilean sea bass, osso bucco, butternut ravioli. I seek to include plenty of veggies with my meal and find I need to order a salad appetizer to do so.. Entrees do not necessarily include vegetables. The back dining room is quieter than the bar/booth area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic old world charmWelovediningoutVIPDined on 2/12/2014This place has classic charm with it's wood paneling, comfy wooden booths & lovely mosaics. Our server was unobtrusive and understood that we wanted to take the time to chat for a while before we even looked at the menu. Menu selections are all upscale Italian dishes. We had lobster ravioli, sea bass on risotto & the tutti di mare all were very well prepared. They also had a lovely dessert selection. Worth the trip to Waterbury, Ct!!!Special Features:
- Old FavoritenancygDined on 2/8/2014Diorio's is our favorite Italian restaurant in CT. It has managed to retain it's old world charms. Ask for a booth in the main room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the best place to fall in lovejaimeDined on 2/1/2014Awesome service, knowledgeable and attentive staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- D'Orio'ssobeeDined on 1/30/2014My favorite Waterbury restaurant especially if in the mood for classical Italian. Elegant with great ambiance especially for a business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service was asEatingoutDined on 1/24/2014The food and service was as good as always. Dined there in dec 2013 & January 2014. Both were exceptional meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experienceSammyDined on 1/24/2014The food was Amazing, the wine for the nite was very good,not disappointed @ all!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre foodFiveDined on 1/11/2014I was excited to go after people had raved about the food. I found the restaurant to be tired. In need of an upgrade as the seats were taped where they were ripped. The food was disappointing. The veal diorio was over cooked and had no flavor. The spinach tasted like bok Choy unseasoned. The bill was very steep. I am not rushing back thereoSpecial Features:
- just good..OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/9/2014Too expensive for ok food.. I am from NY and expected a lot better for this pricesSpecial Features:
- My wife and I went to Diorio'sMikeDined on 12/31/2013My wife and I went to Diorio's on New Years Eve. Classic Waterbury restaurant. I always liked the place, but the prices are too high. Our app came a minute after the bread was served and the entrée 10 minutes later. When I go to a nice restaurant I expect it to be a well timed out experience, not a rush job. The food and ambiance were good, but the pace was bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet friends!GerryDined on 12/28/2013I requested a quiet booth and that is just what we got. The food was delicious and the waitress recommended a wine which we all loved. Everything was just as it should be and we had a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.