215 West North Avenue
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dinotto.com/
- Phone: 3122020302
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Dino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Dinotto features two interior dining rooms which may be reserved for private dining for groups from 30 up to 50 guests. Please inquire directly for your customized menus for your Special Event.
- Private Party Contact: Dino or JC 3122020302
A word from Dinotto
Family-owned, Award-Winning Dinotto Ristorante is a popular neighborhood Italian restaurant across the street from Second City and Piper"s Alley Entertainment Complex. We serve classically prepared cuisine in a simple setting that projects European warmth and intimacy. Pair a spectacular wine with your salad and cooked-to-order entrée. Our Chef features Gluten free, low-fat, and several customized dietary options. In addition to the acclaimed food, we are renowned for friendly, attentive service and our Award-winning outdoor dining "Piazza"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dinotto reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (42)neighborhood gem (34)romantic (23)special occasion (16)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (11)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Dinotto closed, moving to new sitedanmillerDined on 9/17/2014So sorry to see this wonderful Italian restaurant closing (thanks to a short-sighted and imagination-challenged landlord), and moving to a new site nearby on Wells Street, serving Neapolitan pizza and similar food. We'll be among the first in line at the new Dinotto's.
- Good all aroundjabner88Dined on 9/8/2014I made a request when I booked with open table but either was not received because it wasn't honored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceBrianDined on 8/31/2014The food and service at Dinotto is always excellent. Only complaint is that the music is a little too loud and conversation can be difficult, especially at larger tables.Special Features:
- Dinotto the hidden gem in Old TownKrunchDined on 8/22/2014The service and food was great, the fact their wine list was in great order made the evening perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMarioVIPDined on 8/22/2014Our waitress was very nice and the food was excellent, we'll be backSpecial Features:
- Dismal food experience.XandDined on 8/5/2014Ordered gluten-free pasta with shrimp and was brought regular pasta with chicken which is what my friend ordered. So I had to wait substantial amount of time while they prepared my entre' and then it was very oily and unappealing and pasta under cooked. Not very many shrimp which were tough. No compensation for inconvenience was offered. Also we were told calamari was appetizer choice and then waiter came back and said the delivery hadn't arrived. Polenta appetizer was decent.
- LauraBeeDined on 8/1/2014This is the first time i had ever been here and I was not disappointed. It was a beautiful night so we sat outside. Even though you're close to the street, you dont realize it. The food was fantastic. I had the lasagna, which was delicious. The next day that's all I could think about. I chose this restaurant for its proximity to Second City but would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- #1 Old Town dineing destinationbobbyGDined on 7/26/2014Third visit to dinottos. Every time is better than the last! If im in Old Town, im coming to the perfect, cozy, most delicious restaurant in the area. Perfect for a romantic dinner or a group of friends. The food is simply amazing, service second to none . Small, but cozy and elegant. Must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelgirlDined on 7/22/2014The food was authentic Italian. Everyone in our group of 5 chose a different entree and all were pleased with their selection. We shared appetizers of caprese salad and melon with prosciutto and both were fresh and tasty. We will return!Special Features:
- Old Town GemReniaBVIPDined on 7/19/2014Always a favorite place to dine. Love the outdoor ambiance!Special Features:
- Visiting Chicago for the 3rd timeMrRaineDined on 7/12/2014Great atmosphere. The waitress was very friendly and helpful to any questions we had. They had more than enough special of the day for appetizers and main entrees. The setting was romantic and lighting was great. The space is spacious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood RetreatHPFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Dinotto has an excellent staff, frest menu selections and a very good wine list. The appertizer are creative including Polenta but their exceptional starter offerings are the grilled calamari and antipasta's. In addition, the location is a big plus at the busy and sometime noise intersection of Wells and North Avenue. But, the restaurant is an oasis and retreat from the hectic Old Town/Lincoln Park pace. It's outside dinner is both spacious, mostly quiet and gifted with responsive staff. Plus, for that occassional broadcasted sporting event, the outside dining has a flat screen...way cool. In summary, I would recommend Dinotto for the night out and yes, the special occassions.Special Features:
- enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 6/28/2014Had a great dinner. Food was well prepared an served hot. Staff was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid performerleepontonDined on 6/28/2014Dinotto is always dependable as a genuine Italian restaurant. Their menu is filled with one great preparation after another. I enjoy trying dishes I haven't tried before, and I am never disappointed here. Plus the wine list has been updated to include many well-priced wines. Ask for a table outside to enjoy the nicest patio on the north side.Special Features:
- It's okayYvonneVIPDined on 6/28/2014My cauliflower was burnt. M's pasta and scallops were just okay. Our service was okay. The tables were so close together that we felt as if we were a part of the conversation at the table next to us. I've been telling M for years that Dinotto's is not that great and encouraging her to go elsewhere; however, it wasn't until this dining experience that she agreed with me. This will probably be the last time we go unless M "forgets" and feels like giving it another shot.Special Features:
- Goldengirl57.Goldengirl57Dined on 6/28/2014There were 8 in our group.The food was delicious. Most notable were the crispy risotto and the lasagna, both signature dishes and well worth the calories!The salmon and ahi tuna were also great.The variety of salads are notable. We had some bruschetta which was great. The staff was friendly, accommodating and helpful. The wine list was good. We would all go back and highly recommend this restaurant.The prices are very reasonable. The outside is very pretty. Unfortunately it was raining. We went to Dinotto before attending a play downtown.We were able to leave our car with the valet and take a cab to and from the play.I would recommend doing that as well. It was very easy and less hassle than trying to park downtown.Special Features:
- Good Food in a convenient locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/27/2014We were attending a play and the restaurant was near the theater. We thought the food was very good. I had the veal and my friend had a pasta dish. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- JacqueLeopVIPDined on 6/26/2014We have eaten here several times. This time, we found the food less than we remembered. The sauces seemed "mushy". Not sure how else to describe them. Will try again, but will be careful on what dish(es) to order.Special Features:
- Dinotto was a 'find'!LarmoGVIPDined on 6/23/2014Great Old Town location with a lovely outside seating area - inside tables are very nice too. Service was attentive and efficient. Good mixture of traditional Italian and other more contemporary choices. Would absolutely return nest time I am in Chicago!Special Features:
- Great Local RestaurantdeeceVIPDined on 6/22/2014I've lived in Chicago for about five years and my parents visit often. We went to Dinotto last minute on a Sunday night celebrating my dad's 60th birthday and had an amazing experience. The food was incredible, there were options for my Mom (gluten sensitive), and of all the places we went over the weekend this was the only restaurant that provided a complimentary desert for my dad's birthday (all the other places were "hot spots" in Chicago). Overall the service, atmosphere, and food can't be beat.Special Features:
- Warm hospitalityLongroveVIPDined on 6/21/2014Had a delicious dinner with friends. Try the cauliflower appetizer. Yum!! Never felt rushed. Great service and good price point.Special Features:
- Reliable!easar57Dined on 6/6/2014Always reliable for delicious food, friendly and good service. I definitely prefer the atmosphere of the front room, to the back room, which seems more confined. Outdoor seating is nice, weather permitting. The best Tiramisu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On Our Old Town Short ListKLMfromHighlandParkDined on 6/1/2014In the last 5-6 years we have dined here several times, in groups of 4 to 12 and have had uniformly outstanding food and service. Whenever we have introduced a new people to the restaurant, they have been very pleased with our choice. What's unusual for me, is that I actually listen to the specials and usually choose one. Last week I have a great ravioli dish. Also, the prices seem so reasonable for the level of quality, including the wines. We just keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian DinnerPDXDinerDined on 5/30/2014A group of my coworkers and I were visiting Chicago on business. We had tickets for Up Comedy Club, and read that this restaurant was right across the street and had good reviews. Seemed too good to be true, but it wasn't! The servers were personable, professional and very attentive to the needs of our group. The food and wine were amazing, and they took the initiative to ask if we were seeing a show, and then to be mindful of the time for us. Would not hesitate to recommend it!Special Features:
- The following 349 reviews are from the Dinotto reviews archive.
- BradBradVIPDined on 5/23/2014Consistently excellent food and service! One of the top spots in Old Town.Special Features:
- OK, if you're in the neighborhoodlooking4delizieVIPDined on 5/21/2014We were in the neighborhood and wanted a quick, no frills dinner. The 1/2 price Wine Wednesday caught our eye, so we checked OpenTable to see if we coul get a last minute reservation. We would not go out of our way to go there again.
- Great Dining Spot Near Second CityLiseReneeDined on 4/29/2014Great ambiance, service and food. This spot is very close to Second City so it is a great spot for dinner before the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehIDoNotWanttoCookDined on 4/26/2014The food was mediocre the night we were there. Many dishes seemed over-salted and the salad was over-dressed. Nothing was bad, but it wasn't the quality we were expecting.
- Slow service, food just so soTeacherProfVIPDined on 4/18/2014We were disappointed with Dinotto and don't plan to go back. Though our server was friendly and tried to be helpful, the kitchen was very slow. As we had a show following dinner, it was too tight to have dessert even though we think we allowed plenty of time. When the food finally came, items were served warm, not hot. Normally, I would have sent it back but as it had already been so long, we didn't have time to wait any longer. The tables in the front portion of the restaurant are pretty close together, making conversation not very private and possibly difficult.
- Quick DinnerLatinMomDined on 4/8/2014Dinotto was terrific for our quick dinner before an evening meeting at school. The valet kept our car for both dinner and our meeting which allowed us to linger over dinner longer than if we had needed to repark. I ordered the eggplant parmesan, which was prepared to order and served with walnuts, delicious. My dinner companion ordered the lasagna and loved it. The waiter put our leftovers in the fridge while we attended our meeting and we picked them up when we returned for the car. Really an expectedly terrific dinner. We'll be back with the whole family.Special Features:
- Great Italian PlaceSarahDined on 4/5/2014Great for after Second City. A bit more upscale than I had expected; bill for 5 people was $112 without gratuitySpecial Features:
- Terrific Sea Bass in a light brothhealthyfoodie13Dined on 4/5/2014Four great meals here, red wine, so-so Cosmopolitan, French bread (Italian with that needed salt :)) yummy pasta, fish, chicken. House salad was usual and service top notch. Great for before Second City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authenticpaletteandeyes4beautyVIPDined on 4/5/2014After all these years, one still gets a sense of authentic at DiNotto. Good food, good value, difficult menu because of so many appealing choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!TracyDined on 3/29/2014Wonderful food. Olga was our server and was attentive and sweet. The manager checked in and was friendly. Wine was great. Reasonably priced, a great find! Directly across North Avenue from Up Comedy Club/Second City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingPamelaVIPDined on 3/14/2014Our waiter, Dimitri, was informative, attentive and funny. The eggplant was full of flavor without being smothered in sauce. Don't get me wrong, the sauce was wonderful and had a great depth of taste. It was just nice to be able to enjoy the eggplant as well. The veal dish was enjoyed until the very end. If you are getting an entree I suggest you split one of the salads for your appetizer as they are very large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a neighborhood gemGreatVIPDined on 3/11/2014This was once a must go to place gone way downhill
- Girls nightStephDined on 3/1/2014I'm going to start this review by saying my mom and Aunt are in town, both of whom are Italian. I was looking for a yummy neighborhood restaurant to take them to. Dinotto was perfect. Lovely ambiance, fantastic service and delicious food. They loved it. The eggplant parmesan is a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- you bet it is perfect for youFastBirdDined on 2/22/2014Perfect example of why owners who really care produce the best-in food, atmosphere, and a totally enjoyable experience.. When you immediately feel as if you are among friends, you know you have found one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey....JohnDined on 2/15/2014Food was alright but very pricey for no bigger than what the portions were. Service was great, waiter was very helpful.
- Great TimeRobertPVIPDined on 2/8/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience. The food was excellent (best Lasagna ever), our waitress Olga was friendly and attentive, and the hostess was welcoming and accommodating. This was our first time there and we will definitely be back; looking forward to dining al fresco in the summer. One last note - the valet person was extremely courteous and helpful in spite of terrible, snowy weather. Everyone made our dining expereience memorable.