Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - Rochester
99 Court St
Rochester, NY 14604Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - Rochester
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dinobbq.com/
- Phone: 5853257090
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - midnight
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View
- Catering: Pick-Up, Delivery and Full Service Catering for any type of gathering...Give us a call, we"ll make you look good!
- Entertainment: American Funk, Grass-Roots & Blues. Check out the line-up on www.dinobbq.com
A word from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - Rochester
Award winning Southern-Style Pit-Smoked BBQ in the heart of Downtown Rochester overlooking the Genesee River featuring ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Full bar with local, regional and seasonal draft beers. Takeout also available 'til late.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - Rochester - Best Restaurants in Rochester ›
Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - Rochester reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (76)hot spot (68)vibrant bar scene (58)neighborhood gem (57)fit for foodies (51)great for lunch (49)kid-friendly (41)scenic view (37)late-night find (31)special occasion (23)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (1)Show More
- best bbq ever!trevrokDined on 9/12/2014Great place! Food was amazing and very fast. Server was very friendly and accomodating. Would live there if i could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't dissapointGregor1960Dined on 9/8/2014I sought out the Dinosaur Bar-b-que in Syracuse a couple of year ago after seeing a feature on the food network. I fell in love with the quality of their food. We checked out the Rochester location on a recent trip. We enjoyed it just as much. Great authentic Bar-b-que. The best you will find int he north eastSpecial Features:
- Great food, atmosphere, and serviceBBirkDined on 9/1/2014This is just a great spot in Rochester. The ribs and pulled pork are both outstanding. They have a great local beer selection and the service is very friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!AimeeDined on 8/31/2014Excellent food ! Great service! Large portions!!!! Awesome left overs!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Open Table works great for this location. They do not take reservations, and the wait time typically is at least on hour. We were seated at our Open Table reservation time while others were being quoted 90 minutes! My companion ordered the chopped sandwich which looked and tasted delicious. I ordered the ultimate BLT, and it was terrible. It was drenched with ranch dressing, to the point that I couldn't pick it up. It was a soggy mess. The fried green tomatoes were flavorless and there was very little bacon. I have had many enjoyable meals at Dinosaur. This, however, was a huge disappointment. On the up side - our server was excellent - very attentive to our needs despite being very busy.Special Features:
- Finger lickin goodNot2pickyDined on 8/30/2014They were very accommodating for our large party but space was a bit cramped. Food was excellent and staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Music was great. Cold Sweat did a lot of Jimi and other blues/rock. BBQ was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The original doesn't disapppoint!SwissmanVIPDined on 8/27/2014Solid menu for BBQ lovers. Always a good time for a few cold beers and spicy QSpecial Features:
- luvtoeatDined on 8/27/2014The food was good for the adults. However, the spices on the meat were a bit too much for my kids ( preschoolers and babies). It would have been helpful had the wait staff informed us about the spices on the meat and recommended something else for the kiddies.Special Features:
- Best Ribs in TownMidgeVIPDined on 8/26/2014For beer and ribs you cannot beat this place. Service was great, portions tremendous!Special Features:
- dinogregDined on 8/26/2014Amazing service.. great food any one who wants good bbq in rochester this is the place to goSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKenb928Dined on 8/25/2014Took a first date there my first time. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Great food as always and fantastic service. Super kid-friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I rememberedBrendaT14559Dined on 8/20/2014We've been to Dinosaur BBQ in the past, but this was not the Dino experience that we remembered. Here are some of the reasons why... 1) much of the food was over-seasoned (i.e. super spicy) and did not taste good, 2) our waitress seemed rushed and distracted when talking with us, 3) there were errors on several of our orders, some of which were never corrected, 4) the restaurant was so loud that we could not talk with the people at our table, and 5) the waitress lost my credit card! When she brought the bill to our table, I gave her my credit card. She returned with the paper receipt for me to sign, but no credit card. I found it laying on the floor about 20 feet from our table!! Yikes!
- Loved It--Who Knew?AllOvrThePlaceDined on 8/19/2014I can't get over how great the all "Southern" dishes were in ROCHESTER, NEW YORK?!? I eat barbecue all the time in TN and this meal totally blew me away. Some places have good this or that, but every single item we ordered was outstanding, from the cornbread to the greens to all three meats we tried. We couldn't have been more pleased with our server and will remember Dinosaur for a long time. On another note, we went to the NY State fair and heard the people talking behind us about how they had to go to the Dinosaur stand for the barbecue they'd "been waiting for all day"--but it was only 10:30am!!!!Special Features:
- Great choicegoodeatsDined on 8/18/2014First time at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que. The food, atmosphere and service was excellent. The ribs and brisket was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting360travelorDined on 8/17/2014Had a reservation for 7:30 (recomnend doing). Waited 45 mins. for table, once seated had to wait 45 mins for food to come out to our table. Was told that the kirchen was not prepared for this many people in the restaurant at one time. Came on Saturday night and the wait was 1-2 hrs. Place is filled with locals, motorcycle groups, and tourist. Food was very salty, ribs had a good taste, but the brisket is excellent. All sides except cottage cheese were spicey. The warm mac and cheese had a very funky taste to it, not a winner. I think there a better places to go for food, if you want to be a people watcher, don't mind the long wait or spice flavors then give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQ and bluesllamaDined on 8/15/2014I try to make it to Dinosaur every time I'm in town. The food is stellar, the beer list is excellent, and the ambiance is great. Come hungry and still expect to take home leftovers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to expectationsChuckDined on 8/14/2014I knew the food was outstanding but I had never dined inside the restaurant. I had a 7:30 reservation and was seated within 15 min which was not that bad for how busy it was. The restaurant was loud but not to a point where we couldn't hold a conversation and our waitress was energetic and attentive. Overall, the food was great and the dine in experience was a good time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We were 10 minutes late for our reservation but they had held it for us. We were seated in the bar area which was particularly noisy due to a very large, rowdy group. We asked to be moved (you literally could not hear the person next to you talking as loud as they could) and only had to wait 5 minutes, even though there was a line at the door. Excellent service, very friendly and they made our requests seem like no big deal, even though I know we were a pain. Food was fantastic as always.Special Features:
- Friendly and FastmarissaDined on 8/12/2014Make a reservation for sure. I did one online and they brought us immediately to a table while many people have to wait a long time. Long beer list and great service, very fast, reliable food.Special Features:
- Best BBQ in upstate NY.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2014Food is fantastic with a wide variety, and great side dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value and varietyGoodEatsDined on 8/6/2014Coming from out of town, we arrived almost half an hour early for our reservation and were seated immediately. Our server was attentive, energetic, and knowledgeable. We tried several sides, bbq chicken and ribs, along with a kid's meal. The kid's meal was giant! We ended up eating some of the fresh fruit (delicious) and fries (excellent) that came with my son's grilled cheese (ok). The black beans & rice and baked beans were the best side dishes, and the bbq was wonderful. The beer menu was extensive, and I love the fact that you can get 1/2 pints and flights of beer- for an indecisive person who likes to try a lot of good beer, this place is ideal! A fun experience, and more food than we could eat for a very reasonable cost.Special Features:
- Excellent BBQ!dpinbuffaloDined on 8/6/2014The bbq, all of it, was outstanding. This is not a BBQ wannabe...its the real deal! Great selection of beers on tap!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Donosaur still best Rochester BBQCanuck4FoodDined on 8/4/2014We head to Dinosaur B-B-Q for our annual fix when we are in town from Toronto and everyone in our group gives it a two thumbs up every time. The food is great. The staff is friendly and helpful and will accommodate anyone with diet problems. We enjoy the hustle and bustle. It is part of the atmosphere. Long may they reign.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as alwaysdontgooutenoughDined on 8/4/2014Dino BBQ never disappoints. Loved the new Dino Poutine! Also had the combo of ribs, brisket and spicy sausage -- the sausage was awesome!Special Features:
- Eastman BoundKellyDined on 8/3/2014Excellent food, service and location. We ordered a little bit of everything and enjoyed it all.Special Features:
- Great as usualbzdrDined on 8/3/2014Great BBQ, vibrant atmosphere, diverse crowd (the usual: families, bikers, and business folks) and friendly service.Special Features:
- A good spot for dinnerFood4ThoughtDined on 8/2/2014The Dinosaur Bar-B-Que restaurant is a bit like the Anchor Bar in Buffalo. It's busy, the food is inexpensive but great and there is entertainment. Even with a reservation at 9:30 p.m. on a Saturday night, be prepared for at least a short wait in the bar. This is a very popular place. That said, it's worth the wait in my view.Special Features:
- OutstandingFoodieReedDined on 7/27/2014As always food was great, beer was yummy and service was outstanding. Never a disappointment.Special Features:
- backlashDined on 7/26/2014Made reservations for 25, tables were ready and waiting when we arrived, staff was very accommodating and did a great job with orders and reorders, had no problems with separate bills and the food was awesome. A great experience overall, would recommend to everyone.Special Features:
- Great foodOpheliaDined on 7/24/2014The flavor of the BBQ is outstanding, we love the pork ribs best!Special Features:
- Open TableLyndaDobbDined on 7/24/2014This was the first time that we used Open Table for reservations. Excellent!! We were taken right away and seated while others had a much longer wait. We have been to the Dinosaur many times before and always love it. But this time the seating was really fast. We will us Open Table again!Special Features:
- Love Dinosaur BBQ!Sk8cate90Dined on 7/23/2014We moved down to Virginia last summer and have been craving good BBQ ever since. We have yet to find a place that even comes close to comparing to Dinosaur. During our trip back to Rochester in July, Dinosaur was at the top of our list. The food did not disappoint. The service was great, as it typically is. The only downside to this restaurant is that it's very loud. We went out to dinner with my brother + his fiance, and my sister + her boyfriend, and it was very difficult to actually talk to them, because we felt like we were shouting. If you want to have meaningful conversation, I'd recommend eating outside. But if you're just looking to stuff your face with the best BBQ around, then it doesn't really matter. :)Special Features:
- Long wait to be seated and for foodfoodieFamilyDined on 7/20/2014Though we had reservation - we had to wait for some 40-45 mins to be seated. The food took nearly 1 hr to arrive after order. But the food was very good and service was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicebythebayDined on 7/20/2014Dinosaur Barbecue offers consistently good food and service. I need to eat gluten free and there is a separpate gluten free menu with many option..Special Features:
- SteveVIPDined on 7/19/2014Was in Rochester, NY for business and this place came highly recommended. It was worth the walk there and everything was great. Will return for sure when back in this area!Special Features:
- Great experience!!!EuphDined on 7/18/2014I have been to Dinosaur BBQ many times and it is always a great experience! The food is phenomenal, and they handle my food allergies better than any restaurant that I've been to. They are extremely cautious with allergies, and go above and beyond to make sure that every guest has a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Loud.Hr123Dined on 7/17/2014If you like a loud biker bar this is the place for you. The food is average, salty, BBQ. Eh! Not a foodie place.
- mnakashiVIPDined on 7/14/2014My go-to restaurant when Rochester. This trip we tried boiled shrimp with remoulade, a side of collard greens, sweet and sour carrots, pulled pork sandwich, and sweet potato/pecan pie, all staples of southern cuisine and found all to to be as we tasted them in the South. Since the Rochester location is an offshoot of the Syracuse location, this shows that at least in this location the owners were able to replicate the taste of southern cuisine. Often restaurant expansion falls short in this important area. As always, the BBQ ribs were wonderful, without added sauce, a sign of good basting during the smoking.