Dinner on Ludlow
95 Delancey Street
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Dinner on Ludlow
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://dinneronludlow.com/
- Phone: (212) 228-0909
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: John Keller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: The Roof @ the DL and the "Red" Room provide a great lounge and bar environment. Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday enjoy a lively nightlife with DJ"s every weekend.
- Cross Street: Delancey and Ludlow
- Public Transit: Located one block east of Dinner on Ludlow are the F, J, M and Z trains at the Delancey and Essex station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Street parking available through-out the neighborhood. Municipal parking garage located on one block east of Ludlow just between Delancey and Rivington streets on the West side of Essex.
A word from Dinner on Ludlow
Dinner on Ludlow is a modern adaptation of classic American comfort food with a focus on simplicity. Chef Blair Hanelt (formerly of Casimir), Dinner on Ludlow brings good old fashioned “home” cooking to the Lower East Side. Exceptional Cuisine coupled with Lower East Side prices in an intimate setting creates a haven for foodies.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dinner on Ludlow reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (7)romantic (7)special occasion (6)hot spot (6)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (4)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/8/2014The food at Dinner on Ludlow was better than I thought it would be. I had the beet and crispy goat cheese salad, which I loved. My husband and I shared the steak frites, the frites were delicious so we ordered more. We also had the seared tuna, which was also delicious, although it didn't have as much tuna on it as we would have liked! Wonderful service and a great night overall!Special Features:
- Dinner on LudlowmsbnyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our first time here was when they had first opened. It was pretty quiet back then. It seems they have established the lounge/club reputation that they had wanted to. Our second time was quite different: line outside the door, bouncer checking IDs, very loud inside & people up & down the stairs to the lounge area. Food was pretty good. We had the chicken meatballs as an appetizer as before. Still good. I had skate and my husband beef stroganoff. My fish was cooked correctly but the potatoes that came with it were completely flavorless. The stroganoff was not traditional. Rather it was 4-5 wide strips of beef with noodles underneath. It was pretty good. The cocktails & wine selection are good. The molten chocolate cake dessert fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Prixe Fixe BrunchDreaDined on 10/4/2014The Skillet Pancake with blueberries and creme fraiche was fluffy and crunchy on the bottom. It came to the table in the skillet. You get either coffee or tea. The mint tea came in a glass tea pot. The steak and eggs with parmesan truffle fries was my favorite though. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- first timerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014First time at this restaurant. The food amazing, especially the chicken meatballs. The only thing that wasn't up to par was our dessert, which was the peanut butter and jelly donuts. I would recommend the chicken breast and the beef stroganov. Both were excellent. Service was great, but the lighting is so dim you can barely see the menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Mother Always Told Me....eyeCandiDined on 8/31/2014If you don't have nice things to say don't anything. Well, I have have very few nice things to say about this place as a restaurant. The bus boy was obnoxiously intrusive when clearing the plates, although the waitress was nice and effective. But it was too late by then the boy ruined the whole vibe of the meal. The kitchen was out of a few of their more famous dishes... And the other ones were average at best. The decor was cute however the other patrons were not.... They too were obnoxiously drunk stumbling down stair while another patron was obnoxiously loud walking barefoot while grasping her pumps in the air threatening to beat an unidentified patron with it.... Garnering the attention of everyone. At this point I was done!!Special Features:
- Great mealJuliannaDined on 8/15/2014I has the steak and fries with Mac and cheese on the side. Everything was very good. The service was quick.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!likegoodfoodDined on 8/5/2014Our waiter was polite and attentive. The food was delicious, not a bad course from appetizer to dessert (and coffee). Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- The following 72 reviews are from the Dinner on Ludlow reviews archive.
- Brunch Menudreea88Dined on 7/20/2014Amazing price fix Brunch Menu. Delicious food. Great service; our waitress came to check on us periodically. Very good prices for the amount of food you receive. Amazing brunch Bellini and not watered down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- satisfiedbdaygirlDined on 7/19/2014Great food great service drinks not all that for the price, $14 for a weak rum and coke. But overall I'm satisfied I'd definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MandBVIPDined on 6/29/2014Brunch got off to a poor start - the restaurant was closed when we arrived, bartender did not show up, kitchen staff was eating in full view and when they noticed we were able to see into their hideout they closed the door (made us wonder if they washed hands between eating and cooking), no one knew had to mix a Bloody Mary. We didn't want to order until we were able to get our drinks so that cause a hassle. Finally another manager arrived and was able to resolve all the issues and we ordered brunch. The brunch menu was varied and offered may good alternatives, especially since my wife does not eat eggs. The food was very good and service improved tremendously once the staff got started. We will be back.Special Features:
- BustlingPMagicDined on 6/27/2014I don't get out to the city as much as I used to but I would say that this bought back a city flavour that I truly enjoyed. It was a Friday night, so this is the perfect spot to have a bite to eat and enjoy the nightlife that is upstairs. The Food - I had the steak Frites. Ordered medium rare and it was cooked excellent. The Truffle fries on the side was a bit too crispy for my taste. I prefer a larger softer fry. I don't know if a substitution for sides me made since they have a separate pricing list for sides. Another had the Sea Bass Filet. It seems good from the tiny piece she allowed me to taste. Service was very nice. The noise level was a bit loud, so difficult when ordering. BIG PARTY UPSTAIRS. 2 Levels up there. I would go again.Special Features:
- Love it hereFoodie612VIPDined on 6/26/2014Really good food and good service. Definitely recommend it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TERRIBLE SERVICEjwnycVIPDined on 6/24/2014my friend and i came here for dinner and the waiter was super abrupt with us and never smiled and was in such a rush even though we were the only ones there at that point. he was training another waitress and i don't know how he was training her since he has no service skills. the food was good enough that we were able to brush off the service until we waited over half an hour for our dessert which finally came and was awful! we ordered the cheese cake which looked nothing like a cheese cake and did not taste like a cheese cake. thank goodness we came here with a voucher and did not pay full price. then the waiter gave us the bill with 20% already included! unbelievable! even the couple sitting next to us told us that was illegal.
- Father's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014Food was very great prices were not too expensive!Special Features:
- Lovely Date NightxxxoooDined on 5/7/2014Great service, delicious comfort food, fun, lively ambiance and great LES neighborhood. My only criticism would be that they need to clean the windows - they were dirty and smudged with finger prints and dirt- not very appetizing. Other than that, we enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great servicenycfoodloverDined on 5/6/2014My friend and I went for dinner on a Tuesday night to use my gilt city voucher. I had sea bass (ok, because it had too many bones in it) and my friend had steak. I highly recommend chicken meatball as app. It was so delicious. The service could be better. The hostess was doubling as waitress. I'll return to check out the upstairs lounge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss itOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/2/2014Excellent service from the waiter to the bus boy..very attentive and knowledgeable. Food was delicious--duck breast and skate outstanding as was the Malbec and cheesecake.Special Features:
- Great service, great food!EatzDined on 4/20/2014Dined at DOL twice, once for brunch and one for dinner, and both times the food was fantastic. The service is outstanding! I brought my bestfriend here for her bday dinner, and we were amazed by how hospitable the manager was. He gave my friend a free cocktail, we got a free kale salad, and also got a free bday dessert with matching firework candle!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Terrible ambiance and service. Only go if you want to be in a club scene and have to wait in a crowded area for anything. Did not wind up dining here and restaurant still redeemed a coupon voucher as if I had.Special Features:
- UnacceptableNewYorkerDined on 4/5/2014The service at this restaurant is unacceptable. I arrived for my reservation at 11:30pm sharp. I was forced to wait on line as if this was a club. Then after waiting outside for 15 mins in the cold for the bouncer to check our id's, I was told that the kitchen was closed! This is unacceptable. What an embarrasment for me and my date. We had to walk out and find another restaurant!
- Don't let the location fool you...carolineDined on 4/5/2014While Dinner on Ludlow is a little bit out of the way, the entire experience was great. We went on a Gilt City experience, and got a bottle of wine, an appetizer, two entrees, a side, and dessert. It was all TO DIE FOR. That food was probably the best dinner I've had since moving to NYC. I had the chicken with a side of mashed potatoes, and we ordered a side of brussel sprouts for the table. These brussel sprouts were so tender and crispy-- I can never get mine to taste this good! The cheesecake was perfection-- it is served deconstructed, which allows you to get all of the flavors together. Side note-- they make all of their own syrups and fruit mixes at the bar, and you can DEFINITELY tell. The cocktails are dangerously good.Special Features:
- A European/American BistroFamilyGuyDined on 3/30/2014Can be noisy when crowded, but worth it for delicious food and creative drinks. On this very rainy Sunday, we had the full attention of the very hospitable bar staff and kitchen all to ourselves. A luxurious experience in a usually tumultuous venue.Special Features:
- A Little Paris In New York!AmaryllisVIPDined on 3/16/2014DOL isn't described as French, but my evening there was like a quick trip to the City of Lights. Both the host/server and the manager are extremely Parisian -- in a good way ;-) I also appreciated the comfortable, unfussy decor that seemed to reflect the relaxed confidence I sensed in them too. My dinner of butternut squash soup, followed by Skate with stewed white beans, was perfect, as was the service. A lovely discovery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High-energy weekend dinnerIDBNYCVIPDined on 3/8/2014DL was a good experience, but I went with a Gilt City voucher and wouldn't have gone otherwise. The tuna tartar was pretty good, the skate was tasty and my bf liked his swordfish a lot. The cocktails were tasty, although not strong. The best part of the night was our amazing waitress! I didn't catch her name but she is French and was so accommodating for my birthday. The only reason I'd go back to DL would be for a high-energy group dinner, otherwise enduring the loud music and the club atmosphere isn't really worth it for a normal dinner, since the food is nothing spectacular.Special Features:
- Some Room for ImprovementIrresistableConnoisseurDined on 2/28/2014There were 5 in our party, we were seated promptly on at Friday at 7:30. The atmosphere very swank, with dark colored patterned walls & huge chandeliers...I'd say it has a vintagey, Parisian vibe, with a hint of South Beach. Our banquet seating was comfortable though oddly high for the tables. The service was attentive, the food was good even if a bit overpriced for what it is. The drinks are expensive. $12 for a Bombay Sapphire with grapefruit juice & club soda, I would think $8 or $9 is more reasonable, but I hardly ever purchase a drink for myself, so what do I know? My only real criticisms are the temperature was too cold, & as the night progressed it seemed to get louder & hard to hear each other...also waited too long for check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Basically this is the typeMares1981Dined on 2/12/2014Basically this is the type of place you go to for small plates and drinks. It's great for groups, and the ambience is fantastic. Service is questionable, our waitress was not in any way attentive or friendly and the place was not close to packed. However, I would go there again probably just for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed feelingsFoodyholicVIPDined on 2/8/2014My chicken and biscuit was fine and the French toast with cornflake crust was great. The sides were iffy. The plain pork belly was too fatty and a little in the less seasoned taste. The place probably looks ok at night because of the chandeliers. But in broad daylight, it looks worn out and tired. The server we had did not explain the special deal for dinner - and I was disappointed that 3 of the best items for the main course was not part of my deal. And I am coerced to get my money's worth so I had to get sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchThinkingLadyDined on 2/1/2014I went for brunch and had the pancakes and chicken sausage. My friend had the chicken and biscuits and truffle fries. We had two drinks each. It was a pretty quiet Saturday and we were seated right away. The waitress was pleasant enough. (She didn't really over extend herself, but she didn't check out either.) I used the Gilt City deal, so everything was pretty set regarding cost and her tip. The food was delicious and they did not skimp on the drinks which I appreciated. However, I have had very delicious, boozy brunches for half the discounted price ($70 total in the end) at places nearby. I suppose the cost is b/c of fresher ingredients? Idk. This is kind of a once a season splurge. Good for impressing a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingChaunceyDined on 1/2/2014Overpriced, slow service, too obviously trying to be trendy. Some dishes very good, others poor. Our French-accented waitress was delightful though, and it may be worth noting that it was the day after new years
- Great FindKeeksDined on 12/28/2013Good restaurant. First time here. Everything was good. I had the oxtail & onion soup and the steak. Great service & a nice place to dine on a Saturday nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious takes on old favoritesvivaciousvictoriaVIPDined on 12/27/2013Had the Beef stroganoff and loved the lemon thyme noodles. The steak frites were good as well but the beef did not have much of a "dry aged" taste. It definitely paled next to the beef stroganoff, but we would definitely come back to try some other things on the menu! Overall, a pretty good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date night spotJackieDDined on 12/21/2013Restuarant was romantic and intimate- first floor where dining occurs is on the smaller side, but ambience and food are both great (upstairs is a club)! Highly suggest this restuarant for a night out with someone special!Special Features:
- Ignored in an empty restaurantLMB30Dined on 12/14/2013While the food was great, the fries and Kale salad both standouts, our waitress seemed annoyed at us for being there let alone wanting to order. We could see our waitress texting while at the bar the entire time we were there despite our attempts to get her attention. She did not seem friendly or hospitable at all and it really left an impression on our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday CelebrationPickyEatersUniteDined on 12/8/2013I took my friend to Dinner on Ludlow for her birthday brunch. The staff acknowledged that it was her birthday and were more than happy to plate her cupcakes, light the candles, and participate in the festivities. We made a reservation and our table was ready upon arrival. Food was delicious and came out in a timely manner. I had the buckwheat Belgian waffle with whip cream and mixed berries while my friend had the chicken and bisquits. The proportions were great bc the entrees were just the right size for one and the sides were shareable. No one likes to over eat! :) I will definitely be revisiting to try other things on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing special.CelebrationVIPDined on 11/29/2013The food was below average. Service however was good.
- 2 drink minimumOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013Nice atmosphere and great chandeliers. After the 2nd drink all looked even grander....Special Features:
- disappointingyasyasVIPDined on 11/10/2013so we went there because it was supposed to have one of the best pancakes in town. we had reservations but the lady at check in told us to wait. they weren't even that crowded. a lot of empty tables yet we still had to wait. i ordered the skillet pancake. it was horrible. it was burnt and i had a hard time cutting into it. i took one bite and had to spit it out. it was like chewing burned rubber. i told the waiter that i didn't like it but he just left the plate there and didn't ask if i wanted anything else. i wanted to order a drink to wash down the flavor but we had a hard time flagging the staff down. very disappointed with the service and food.
- Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2013Went to brunch here with two of my girlfriends. The meals were delicious and the price was great. If you order an appetizer or brunch entree they gave you a free breakfast cocktail. The ambience was great and the service was as well. I will return and recommend to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant !KylieDined on 10/27/2013This was a really great gem to discover, thanks to our maitre d ! Good food, great ambiance, nice personnel... I would definetely come back !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor food and service for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/27/2013The service and price fixe for Sunday brunch is frankly terrible. The brunch menu options are standard fare, unfortunately the food misses the mark of such standards like steak and eggs. The cut of steak was mostly gristle and over cooked, and all the food was served warm, as if the plates were left too long to cool. This image of a plate left too long alone takes on a greater metaphorical meaning as you are left wondering where your server has gone, despite the fact that there is no one else at DOL. Not heeding the empty seats, I had a bad brunch here that not even the two included mimosas did not cure. The bottom line is that for the price, you could find a better brunch place in the Lower East Side. One better option is Schiller's.