Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina
1600 Champa St.
On the 16th Street Mall @ Champa Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.diegosdenver.com/
- Phone: (303) 343-4671
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Walter Terrones
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We offer our entire award-winning menu for your next event. Contact us to customize your mouth-watering choices.
- Private Party Contact: Tony 7193525412x
- Entertainment: Live entertainment on Saturdays!!
Best Value Downtown!!
Reserve your catering needs now!
All-day Saturday and Sunday Drink Specials:
Seven Day's a week for $ 2, 3, 4, and 5!:
Bean Dip $2.00
Con queso $3.00
Chile Fries $4.00
Diegos Nachos $5.00
Diegos quesadillas $5.00
WATCH ALL THE GAMES HERE!!
It’s game time!! Come and cheer on our
Denver Nuggets and Avalanche teams!!
During all Nuggets & Avs' games:
ENJOY DRINKS SPECIALS
$5 Diego’s Frozen Margaritas Daily
Go Nuggets and Avs at Diego’s!
- Special Events: Diego’s Happy Hour
7 Days a Week
$5 Diego’s Frozen Margaritas
$5 Diego’s Signature Margaritas
$2.50 Coors Light Pints
$3.50 Import Pints
1/2 off Select Appetizers
Diego’s weekly specials
7 Days a week specials:
S.I.N. Sundays—Service Industry Night
Margarita Mondays--$5.00 for all Specialty Margaritas
Taco Tuesdays—99 cents Tacos and Bean Tostadas
Thirsty Thursdays—It’s Island Night; $5.00 Tropical Drinks $5 Diego’s Frozen Margaritas, and $5 Diego’s Signature Margaritas, 3-close
Fiesta Fridays--$15.00 Beer Buckets! !!
Kids’ Day Saturdays—1 free kids’ meal with a purchase of an adult’s
A word from Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina
We invite you to experience a touch of Mexico’s finest cuisine in our tropical atmosphere on the 16th Street Mall at Champa Street. Our award winning salsas and green chili will ignite your senses while our margaritas will transport you to the sandy beaches and tranquil sunsets on the water. Ask about our banquet and party facility. We are conveniently located within Performing Arts, Convention Center, and many hotels.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (7)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Slower than ususaldowntowndinerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Last couple of lunches have been fine, but it seems the service has been off. We waited for our "free Mexican Hot Chocolate" and finally got it when we were almost finished with our lunches! Good salsa bar!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the priceCherylDined on 9/12/2014It's difficult to find moderately priced food in downtown Denver without doing the fast food thing. Now there's a new choice - Diegos. The food was good, the service was excellent, and the prices were much lower than I expected. I had the quesadilla with chicken and Pueblo chili. It's an appetizer, not an entree, but it was more than enough food for dinner especially since they gave me chips and salsa, too. With tax, the check was just over $10. The menu had a lot of interesting looking choices on it and I look forward to exploring them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not greathappilydiningVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was good, but I have been there when it was better; maybe it was just an off day. The waiter did not listen or write down our order correctly and we were disappointed in his service. Again, we have been there before and the wait staff was much more efficient and accurate so I know they are capable.
- The following 81 reviews are from the Diegos Mexican Food & Cantina reviews archive.
- Good food, slow kitchenCanesGirlVIPDined on 7/29/2014We had a large party (7), but we waited more than 30 minutes to receive our food and some of it was cold (as if some food had been ready before other orders).Special Features:
- Down hillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014This place has gone downhill. The upgraded look is nice, but when we ordered Queso, they brought the mild instead of the medium and the first batch was soup. That was pointed out and the second batch was a little thinker, but not by much. I could bet money they watered was left to use it up instead of using a new batch. The entertainment, if you could call him that was bad. A lone guitar player that was not good, no energy and actually distracted from the atmosphere. Service is slow and clumsy and one of the waitresses had an attitude that she couldn't be bothered. I also received a subpar margarita instead of the one I ordered. Definite better at lunch since that's their lifeblood in downtown Denver.
- Great Group ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014We had 10 people and the waitress was prompt, attentive and did a great job with the checks. The food was as good as I get in the authentic restaurants of farm country in Calif. Make sure you look down the stairs to find the entrance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At home MexicanaJayCeeVIPDined on 4/29/2014This downstairs cantina was just what we were looking for. not fancy, it was friendly, service was quick, food was hot. Probably a great after work happy hour spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great lunchlrn71Dined on 2/28/2014Great lunch, great atmosphere, great service! This is our group "go to" spot from the office and we always enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!NebraskaGirlDined on 2/21/2014Made a last-minute Friday night dinner reservation for 14 people and Diego's was able to get us in with no issues! The dinner was part of a surprise trip to Denver for my husband's 25th Birthday and they were so nice about bringing him a tequila shot and singing to him. The service was great, food came out quickly and was really good, and the chips & salsa are fantastic. Our table had a variety of beverages but the Mango Margaritas were a group favorite. Great location and really fun atmosphere. We would highly recommend to others and love to stop in again on our next trip to town.Special Features:
- This is our new Rio. BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014This is our new Rio. Better food and many more menu items. Very affordable with daily specials that are to die for.Special Features:
- Mexican food in ColoradocynColorado2014Dined on 12/31/2013I have had great Mexican food experiences in Colorado but this resturant is not one of them. When the menu has pages of items to order that is the first sign that they specialize in nothing. The service is good and friendly.Special Features:
- Terrible service, ok foodDCLvolDined on 11/1/2013Went for dinner on a Friday. It was not packed. No wait for a table, but the we waited avert long time before anyone came by for adrink order or anything else. When we did order 2 over priced margaritas we waited even longer. Another server came by came by asked if we wanted anything to drink we told him we'd ordered and some time later he came back with our drinks. Don't know if they had been sitting at the bar or if the first order never made it. Food in the other hand came flying out in less than 5 minutes like it had been sitting in a steam tray.
- Give Credit Where Credit is DuehappilydiningVIPDined on 10/8/2013I love to go to upscale restaurants like all the other foodies out there. This is the only reaon I would not award the 5-star review. However, as a moderately-priced Mexican Restaurant, I am surprised when I see a bad review for Diegos.The wait staff is friendly and attentive, the food is hot, fresh and delicious and we never wait an unacceptable time for the food to arrive. Like many downtown employees, we are on a lunch schedule so we have to be choosy when picking a place to eat. I do like to read the reviews, but I'm glad that I am willing to make my own decisions and give it a try - its a great Mexican restaurant with a lot of tempting menu choices. Keep up the good work Diego's!Special Features:
- Okay but not greatLoveDenverDiningDined on 10/5/2013My daughter and I were in Denver and went to Diegos Mexican Food and Cantina on a Saturday night. I was surprised that the restaurant was virtually empty while the 16th Street Mall was humming with people. Chips and salsa were good and I appreciated the salsa bar. I had a combination plate that was fair but certainly nothing special. The service was attentive and not overbearing. The next time I'm in Denver, I will be sure to try somewhere different if I'm looking for Mexican/Southwest cuisine.
- Sad and Steady decline...CinfullyDeliciousVIPDined on 9/2/2013Sadly, one of our favorite restaurants has experienced a steady decline in it's service and food quality since we started frequenting two years ago. Lunch and dinner service has become inattentive and poor. Orders are consistently incorrect, servers are hard to catch to fix problems, water glasses and salsa remain empty for long lengths of time. Even the food this time around was not very warm or tasty as it used to be. Having lived in Pueblo and experienced the awesomeness that is Mexican food there, this rumored "Puebloan owned" restaurant is slipping. Unfortunately we've shared this with staff and management the last few times in and nothing has changed. I think this was our last visit to Diegos.
- quick and tastyGregVIPDined on 8/15/2013we were able to get in quickly and served quickly the staff was very friendly and willing to pleaseSpecial Features:
- Located in a basement location,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2013Located in a basement location, the restaurant tries to establish itself with a "Beach" theme. Service here was horrible despite the restaurant being nearly empty. Our server was very spotty in his presence and they "attempted" to service us with multiple people - but did not do well in this attempt. Our food arrived (only after asking why others who came in well after us were being served first) after a 40 minute wait overcooked with tough rubbery meat being the main memory of the meal. I have heard from others this place does a booming lunch business with office workers and offers a whole different experience for lunch. That said, based on this dinner experience I would never return and would strongly advise others to avoid this place.
- Mexican Food in DenverCarlDined on 7/2/2013This is located on the 16th Street Mall....easy access. However, it is in a basement. The noise level is high, even when not many people were dining that night. The food was good but not much different than many other Mexican places I've eaten at. The waiter while not totally accurate was earnest and made every effort to make my experience there enjoyable. The self service salsa bar was practically empty....and the place wasn't that busy (I was there on a Tuesday night.)Special Features:
- Great food and service!prplewingsDined on 6/21/2013The shrimp tacos are wonderful, and the staff so attentive! I will be happy to fight traffic in downtown to visit again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diego'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2013The help was even better than the food, which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best house margaritas. BetterSlammerrDined on 5/4/2013Best house margaritas. Better than most top shelf margaritas in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013The service was friendly and quick. The food was "good".Special Features:
- Chris at DiegosOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/16/2013Chris is the best waiter in town! He is always attentive and provides the best service. I have never seen him without a smile on his face. I come here at least once a week if not more and always ask for his section.
- Food and service was good.LollipopDined on 4/5/2013Food and service was good. Liked the salsa bar. Unfortunately there was a large group of about 15 that was extremely loud and drinking too much. They sang Happy Birthday 3 times during the course of our dinner. They ruined the atmosphere for us. I'm willing to try them again but if I ran into another group like that one they will loose my business.Special Features:
- Food was amazing!!! Will beOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/8/2013Food was amazing!!! Will be returning within the week. Russ was an excellant waiter along with Marcus... Very happy. The fajita nachos were very good. Signature Margarita were highly recommended and glad it was. No problems or complaints with this place.Special Features:
- Thankfully the food was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013Thankfully the food was good. The place was noisy and the decor was sub standard. It must have been a Chinese restaurant at one time because some of the decorations were still there. The staff was friendly and helpful
- I was a bit disappointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2013I was a bit disappointed with their salsa bar, everything was a bit bland, but their margairta's were excellent and the food was decent besides. I wish there was a little more spice to the food. This restaurant is great for groups and the atmosphere is very festive!Special Features:
- This place is just awesome.happilydiningVIPDined on 3/7/2013This place is just awesome. The place is always packed at lunchtime and there is a good reason for that. The food is excellent, the service fast and very friendly. It has become my favorite downtown Mexican Restaurant and I have recommended it to my co-workers who all agreed with me after going to try it out for themselves. Keep up the good work Diego's!
- Our server was entirely believable.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2013Our server was entirely believable. What I mean is that he was enthused and energetic, and spoke to us in a natural, vibrant way. He was both professional and down-to-earth, and good at his job. He seemed to enjoy and take pride in working there, acting as a representative of Diegos when discussing your chili farm near Pueblo. Of course, the food, the price, the atmosphere were all excellent, too.Special Features:
- As we had an early reservation,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013As we had an early reservation, we cannot comment on the special features other than to say it seemed as though it would be a great place later in the evening. We love Mexican food and found this food to be authentic and delicious. The Diego was a wonderful drink and not a pre-made mix.
- We had a large group and wereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013We had a large group and were seated in the outside patio area which the plastic curtains did little to keep us warm. The waitress did her best but was the sole server that night and for a group of 26 struggled to keep the service up to par. Management should have brought in another person to assist.
- The shrimp fajitas are excellent,happilydiningVIPDined on 1/30/2013The shrimp fajitas are excellent, the staff is friendly and attentive and the atmosphere is festive and clean. We are always in and out before our lunch hour is up which is a huge plus when going out to a restaurant for lunch. It's a great place to eat if you are craving some good Mexican food!
- My second time at Diegos andhappilydiningVIPDined on 1/23/2013My second time at Diegos and I am impressed with the food and the friendly, fast and attentive service. I had the shrimp fajita burrito and never thought I would be able to finish it all, but I did - it was too good to stop eating! They do not skimp on food. My lunch partner had the fish tacos and said they were wonderful too. This will defintely be one of my favorite lunch spots and I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Mexican Food and AtmospherehappilydiningVIPDined on 1/17/2013I didn't know what to expect due to some of the reviews. But, I am so glad I finally went. The place is great, the food is fresh and delicious, the atomosphere is fun, lively and very clean. I am looking forward to going back and trying other dishes on their menu. We all had something different - Chimichanga's, enchiladas and tostadas with endless chips and salsa - everything was good (and to boot nothing is overpriced). The wait staff was friendly, quick and very accomodating. Didn't have any cocktails as it was lunch time, bummer, but I will definitely go back for happy hour and dinner one day soon.
- We got a reservation for 16OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012We got a reservation for 16 for New Years! Plenty of room for big parties.Special Features:
- Although the service was greatPattyDined on 12/31/2012Although the service was great once we got seated, the hostess claimed we didn't have a reservation and tried to sit us in the loud bar at cocktail tables even though the dining area was empty. It started our night off on the wrong foot. We got over it once we had a margarita. They were very good but most of the food was so-so. This place has a great location and great potential but is missing the mark right now.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2012The food was great! It was authentic, and delicious. The service was even better!Special Features:
- We mad a reservation at Diego'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/1/2012We mad a reservation at Diego's and did not realize it was the same night as Parade of Lights. We got to the restaurant late and the wait was 40 minutes. The hostess said, you made a reservation and even though you are late we will honor it. They literally pulled a table out and made an available seat for the two of us. The place was insanely busy, but our food order came quick and the waiter still took the time to check in with us. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Tasty SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012We made reservations for after the Parade of Lights. We walked in, told them we had reservations, and were immediately seated. Our waiter was soon at the table for our drink order. The chips and salsa were quickly on the table followed by our drinks. The menu was diverse and offered a great selection. I was impressed by the affordable prices. We ordered our meals and as busy as the restaurant was I figured we would be waiting for a while. About ten minutes later our meals were served. The presentation was great and the taste was even better. We all agreed that Diego's was a good find and I'm looking forward to eating there again next time I'm downtown.Special Features:
- Couldn't keep up with a "rush"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012We went down here during the parade of lights night. They must have been horribly understaffed. Service was extremely slow, each drink (a couple sodas and a couple of margaritas) required at least one reminder to have them come to the table, food took forever, and came out not exactly hot. And to top it off - they didn't seem to be THAT busy, with a couple of empty tables sitting there, though we were one of about three larger (6+ groups). We were, however, seated right away. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe it was due to being unexpectedly short staffed or the parade of lights crowd, so I might give them another try, but would not particularly recommend this joint at this point.