Diego's Cantina and Tequila Bar
214 W State St
Media, PA 19063Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Diego's Cantina and Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.diegos-cantina.com/
- Phone: 4844428741x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30am-9:00pm
Friday - Saturday 11:30am-10:00pm
Bar open late every night.
Late night bar menu Friday & Saturday until midnight.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Loic Barnieu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We offer off-site catering for your private parties and special events.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room is the perfect place for your next party, dinner or event.
- Private Party Contact: Erin 484-442-8741x
- Entertainment: Media is known for its love of music, theater and art. Check us out on Facebook to see our upcoming music and events.
- Special Events: Media is known for its love of music, theater and art. Check us out on Facebook to see our upcoming music and events.
A word from Diego's Cantina and Tequila Bar
Authentic Mexican cuisine and handcrafted margaritas have helped Diego's become a Mainline Magazine's "Best Bar". The fun atmosphere and personable service makes this a great spot for family dinner or a late night out with friends. With lunch specials, a late night menu and over 60 tequilas there is something for everyone at Diego's.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Diego's Cantina and Tequila Bar - Best Restaurants in Media ›
Diego's Cantina and Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good experience.FoodieDined on 10/21/2014I had the fajitas and they were really good. The guac was really fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchMediajaneDined on 10/18/2014We were a party of 4 for lunch to celebrate a birthday. Everyone ordered a different entre and everyone was happy with their choice. Excellent classic margaritas---ice and salt--enjoyed by all! It's a nice place! Friendly efficient service. We'll be back!Special Features:
- So-soBethDined on 9/26/2014We were seated next to the kitchen window. There were fruit flies everywhere.
- LindaDined on 9/23/2014The food was disappointing and the service was mediocre. Perhaps it was because we sat outside, but the restaurant was not busy and the service was slow.Special Features:
- Great for outdoorsJBGrizzVIPDined on 9/10/2014The front of the restaurant opens up and they leave it open when the weather is nice. If you're outside or inside, you can get the feel of outdoor dining.Special Features:
- MoreDined on 9/6/2014The food is good but I think it is overpriced for the type of restaurant it is. It could also have a bigger menu.Special Features:
- Not Too BadkaelaDined on 8/6/2014Visited during Dining Under the Stars and decided to make a reservation for indoor seating. We had to move tables & our server was very accommodating with that. The back dining room was so hot, thank goodness the table next to us asked if they could open the back door to let air in. Drinks and food were good, service was lacking a little but again, we were there on a busy night. Our server was very apologetic for any waiting (which I know is not her fault). Only thing - those chips & salsa -- yuck! Super stale/one was soggy/wet! Are these just thrown back in the bin or something to serve to the next table? That was yucky! I'll pass on that next time. Oh, and they definitely need more appetizer options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice date nightNicBDined on 7/27/2014My husband & I went for a date night. I had read some reviews, so I was expecting bad service & to wait awhile for our food. I was wrong. Our waitress was actually really awesome. She checked on us a ton &was very helpful. The nachos were delicious. I don't think we left a crumb on the plate. We shared the steak burrito &the chicken enchiladas with green sauce--spicier. I preferred the enchiladas. We ordered a pitcher of margaritas as well. The frozen margarita machine was broken so we had ours on the rocks. My only complaint was it was super hot in the restaurant, almost like the air wasn't working. the waitress apologized and said they had people leave the other night because it was too hot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with an outdoor feel.24uandmeDined on 7/18/2014The open door on a perfect summer night was great. The food was delicious as was the blackberry basil daquari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ServerPauletteDined on 7/17/2014The food was excellent (although we wish there was more of a selection ~ there was no "special"). Our server Julie was attentive and very nice!
- Good mexican food and Tequila!DanielDanceDined on 7/8/2014Overall, a good experience. The ambience is so so, but its a bar, so wood tables, etc... and the typical bar service. But food was excellent and the Margaritas we ordered were good. The food is relatively spicy, so if spicy is not your thing, I would definitely ask them to make it less spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 25 reviews are from the Diego's Cantina and Tequila Bar reviews archive.
- Not worth ittigerlily10Dined on 6/15/2014My family and I ate here for Father's Day and were very disappointed with our meal. Definitely do NOT order the Chile Relleno, as they're prepared incorrectly. It happens to be my favorite entrée, so I order it at a lot of similar restaurants. Diego's left the chiles whole and never removed the seeds. I spent my whole dinner trying to clean out the peppers so my meal would be remotely edible. Our service was also pretty mediocre at best. We had to keep flagging someone down to bring us water and even had to get up to get ourselves plates. For the quality of the food and service, this restaurant is not worth the price.
- DisappointedbeeksnibbleDined on 6/15/2014We love Mexican food and were very excited to have a new little place to go so close to home, but we were sadly disappointed. Having such a limited menu, the food was not well executed. The empanadas were over cooked. The tamale was dry and bland. The chicken enchiladas were dry. The best part of the meal was the guacamole and the plantanos. The server did not check on beverage refills, we had to ask. I think their focus is truly the Tequila, which we did not have.Special Features:
- Started off strongAliLynnDined on 6/14/2014The food was wonderful. They have lots of options for vegetarians including spicy tofu or grilled vegetables in their fajitas, tacos and burritos. The services started out wonderful. Our waitress was the exact right amount of attentativeness until the food arrived, and then she dissapeared. We waited probably fifteen minutes from when we were finished eating until getting our check. We will give it another try and hopefully it will be better service next time.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/6/2014Diego's Cantina was one of the best dining experiences I've had in a while! My fiancé and I had the Plantaina creams as an appitizer and it was absolutely delicious. The ambience was nice and the decor of the restaurant was heading to the scene. I'd highly recommend checking it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too loudBaumerDined on 5/5/2014Good Bar scene - but if you want to sit and eat - do not sit at the table by the bar - you will not be able to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Another Great Find in MediaLucyVIPDined on 5/3/2014We love Dos Gringos in Media. To switch things up, my friend and I went to Diego's for lunch. It was fabulous. I decided to take my husband for dinner and was again very pleased. The menu is not very large but certainly a good assortment of choices. I really like Mexican food so any menu option is worth trying. The server was great and appropriately attentive and helpful. It is definitely a place to try and recommend. It is now on my list of regulars!Special Features:
- EnjoyableLucyVIPDined on 4/22/2014I ate lunch with a friend at Diego's. This was our first visit. I had Huevos Rancheros. It was a more than ample portion comprised of eggs, rice and black beans inside a flour tortilla. My friend had tacos. We had tortilla chips as well. I enjoyed the meal and am going back for dinner with my husband so he can try it too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good service, food quality poorPeteDined on 4/5/2014This was my second dining experience at Diego's. Will think twice before returning. Shannon, our server was great. The food quality was just OK. My husband and I ordered the Carne - the steak was so fatty I almost choked on it. I like rare but ordered medium since it was a grilled rib eye and there usually is a little fat near the edge and thought it best to order medium. It was very rare, which I like with certain cuts, but it made it chewy and with the fat just ruined the meal. Rice and black beans were cold as well. I should have sent it back... the drinks are good.
- Disappointeddenis04Dined on 3/29/2014The diego nacho's were awesome. Our enchilada's were cold. We had to ask for sour cream 3 times and it didn't come until everyone at the table was half way through their meal. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Not as good as we hoped. EndedYumYumVIPDined on 3/29/2014Not as good as we hoped. Ended up being a better place to grab a drink and some chips then to have dinner. The steak was overlooked and flavorless. Mother tacos were ok but expensive for what you got. Overall, nothing was worthy of another try but still fairly pricey for what we had.
- BlandJaneVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was the most bland fish burrito I have ever eaten. My husband's fish taco literally had a piece of tilapia with some cilanto on a soft shell taco, that's it. Didn't come with salsa, lettuce or sour cream. You can get those fixin's but for an extra $2.
- Another great night at Diego'sJennyZVIPDined on 3/12/2014From the excellent Margaritas to the spectacular food, this was another great night at Diego's!Special Features:
- Glad we tried Diego's!gurugirlDined on 3/6/2014We dined many times at another Mexican restaurant in Media, but never Diego's, so thought we would give Diego's a try for my husband's birthday. He loves Mexican food.The reviews we read on Diego's were mixed, but we decided to go in spite of them. The service was excellent. Our waitress was friendly and helpful with explaining dishes on the menu. The drinks were great. I had a blackberry basil margarita. It was served in a regular glass on ice, which I thought was kinda strange, but it was delicious. My husband had a winter ale, by Brooklyn brewery. The food was very good. Diego's also offers vegan options, so my son was able to join us. He loved his spicy tofu burrito. We intend to return to Diego's for dining under the stars in May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always so blandPhillymaddieDined on 2/26/2014Ive been here 3 times in as many years. My only reason to choose this place is for their drinks. The bartender makes awesome margaritas and mojitos! But the food....there is another Mexican byob in Media with much much better food. At Diego's, my tacos consisted of bland chicken chunks, fresh chopped raw onion and chopped cilantro and lettuce on a dry corn tortilla. Not impressed. Wish the food was better,Special Features:
- Awful food and experienceKelleyDined on 2/19/2014I was very hopeful for this place because I had heard great things, however the food was bland and overcooked with no Mexican flair. I ordered chicken tacos and pulled pork and the chicken was unseasoned and dry. They brought me out cut up port but not pulled and told me the cook that night was not cooking pulled pork although my friend ordered enchiladas and they had pulled pork in it. I would not recommend this place. I have also heard the reason why the food was not good is because management had changed in recent months.
- Mexican GourmetMarkVIPDined on 2/14/2014The Latin influenced Mexican dishes are carefully prepared, beautifully presented, and innovative. Hat's off to the plantain appetizer with Mexican cheese and creme fresh for $4. The special rack of lamb dish was wonderful and prepared perfectly. The chef's are much to be commended -- even better than the servers. A fun destination in Media.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service, mediocre foodPattiDined on 1/18/2014What a bad experience! Nothing about our service was right. We were a party of four and our drinks all came separately. Our appetizer never arrived at all and when our waitress finally brought our entree, she ask if we received our plaintain chips. When we told her we didn't, she said "do you still want them?". No apology, no explanation, nothing. We order the fajitas for the four of us and were only given 6 small tortillas. We asked our waitress for more. It took forever for us to get them, even though our waitress stopped by our table and said at least twice "your tortillas are coming". So the four of sat there waiting while our fajitas got cold. In the past, we stopped by for drinks and the bar service has always been outstanding!
- If only the entrees had more flavorMathMan821VIPDined on 1/10/2014It was a mixed bag at Diego's. The chips were housemade, hot and crispy and the accompanying salsa was pureed into a smooth, almost frothy sauce but it was delicious. My house and his specialty margarita were both done well. The soup of the day - chicken and chickpeas in a delicious vegetable spiked broth was great and the guacamole was amazing, perfectly seasoned. It was a creamy delicious treat. Then entrees. My fish tacos were blander than bland. If the fish had been dusted with salt and pepper before cooking you'd have been hard pressed to taste it. All you could taste was tortilla. His chicken enchiladas with mole sauce were dry and the sauce chocolaty sweet instead of deep and flavorful. We make better mole at home in the crock pot
- AhStephanieDined on 12/31/2013Food only so so. Chile relano was $18 and came out slightly burnt. Not much cheese and the full stem was intact. The drinks were pretty good. It definitely was not crowded for New Year's Eve but I don't necessarily think that's a good thing. Probably because the food was not that great
- Great food. Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013We live in Media and really like eating in town. Diego's has wonderful food. Fresh and great flavor. We had bad service a few months ago and thought we'd try it again because we really enjoyed the food. For us, it looks like take out is probably the best option. We will check our take out bag though because it took 4 requests for the salsa and 2 for a frosted mug. And when the food came out it had to be sent back. The staff could really use some training. No apology. No stop from the manager. No sense of urgency. My husband and I both worked food service so we do know the difference!
- Food is excellent, but pricey.HankDined on 11/29/2013Food is excellent, but pricey. Noisy and poor decor .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted To Try a Second TimeJannycVIPDined on 11/19/2013I really want to like this restaurant. They make fresh margaritas and supposedly have the best bartenders in town. This was my second visit because I thought I didn't make a fair assessment after dining here only once before when Diego's first opened. First of all, you are promptly greeted at the hostess stand and taken to your table right away with a reservation. Thumbs up! Secondly, although our server was a doll, service was slow and we had to ask for everything. Not sure if the server was new but since she didn't anticipate our needs we just kept asking for "more," which made us feel like pains. Perhaps if the there were more generous portions of the accoutrements diners wouldn't keep asking for more. Food was served all at once.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2013This was our first visit to Diego's and had a terrific meal. We each tried something different from the menu. We would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not too BadPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2013My girlfriend received a "rushed" & poorly mixed mojito from the bartender- she respectively switched it out for a frozen margarita which was to her liking. Sorry to say the service was lacking after that. No more smiles from them at that point-seemed to be preoccupied with the local chefs/regulars who come in at opening(4pm on Sat). Nothing rude because they just weren't in their "groove" i guess. The night before we had GREAT hibiscus margaritas . We want to feel the same hospitality/service on a daily basis. Not too far of a reachSpecial Features:
- Food and service were outstandingDDellVIPDined on 8/24/2013Food and service were outstanding - disappointed with our drinks Drink sizes were very small - sangria served in a juice glass full of ice, probably 3 oz of liquid, tasted fine but not for the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.