108 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highwaydhaba.com/
- Phone: 2126791284
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm - 11:00pm; Late Night Menu: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Shiva Natarajan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Outdoor and indoor spaces are available for up to 25 people.
A word from Dhaba
Dhaba serves authentic North Indian food and kababs from the tandoor. Offerings also include an array of curries from the "British Curry House" setting that will satisfy a variety of curry cravings. The restaurant is open late with a limited choice menu to cater to late night cravings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Dhaba reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)special occasion (4)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Two mexicans eating indian foodAuroradelamoraDined on 10/14/2014The greatest experience! We love indian food, and the cocktails were great (mango+yoghurt+tequila) Thanks for everythingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/12/2014Good food undermined by very poor acoustics and tables much too close together.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious indian food, service mehYYCdadinNYCDined on 9/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant, the food was hot and very tasty with a good spice level. It was not greasy or too heavy. The service however was less than expected. They were slow to help our table, offered nothing in the way of greetings or offered specials/answered questions regarding our meal and no one came and checked on us during dinner. But... for the price of the food and the quality, I would definitely recommend this restaurant, just be warned that you may have to fend for yourself!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingMAbadDined on 9/15/2014I love this restaurant, its contemporary in design and the music and vibe is always energetic and upbeat. The food is always amazing as well. We got the chicken tikka masala and chicken vindaloo with two kinds of naan. All of it was delicious! Our server was also serviceable and friendly. I highly recommend this place. They even accommodated our last minute reservation time change which I made an hour before arriving. Awesome restaurant!Special Features:
- good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014and my stomach got messed up! it came highly recommended and my daughter and i were both disappointed. the flavors were not as expected.
- Extremely disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014Dirty chairs... listless and unaccommodating staff.... no bowls to serve pani-puri... crushed/leaking puris.... randomly served, poor quality bhel... few, cliched vegetarian curry options... bhature served towards the end of our meal... and horrible 'after-effects' later that day... an upsetting overall experience during a recent Sunday lunch buffet with my wife.
- Night of curries, sarees & kirtas.GutCheck23Dined on 9/4/2014This place was full of patrons and the food was masterfully traditional Indian. The service was quick and price was adequate for the location and ingredients required for tasty Indian cuisine. I recommend this place for curry newcomers but not those experienced diners looking for innovative recipes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We had a lovely combination of curry and cocktails, very nice. Around the corner is a massage place to have a great foot rub after you're done to relax and help the food go down ;-) Ask the manager / waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid!SimonKinsellaDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant should not have a license. The food was disgusting - all cheap without substance. We ordered the curried goat (which is a cheap meat to start with), but the curry only used the goat's spine! We found a little grizzle but NO real meat! We left without finishing our dinner.
- terrible serviceapdpmDined on 8/9/2014Although the food is not bad the service is atrocious. We ordered the lamb kebabs and were served chicken kebabs. When we pointed this out to the server he refused to acknowledge the mix up and instead said the chicken kebabs were in fact the lamb kebab and we must br mistaken. After poking at our food for a couple minutes he acknowledged that we were served chicken but he still didn't change our order and instead blamed the kitchen stating they serve what they want. They then charged us for the lamb, not the chicken, which was more than double the price of the chicken. Will not be going back...
- Had to wait 20 minutesElegantlyDined on 8/6/2014Had booked for 4 people. Arrived at 8:30. Had to wait 20 minutes even after booking on open table. It would be better to call the place first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy in My Tummy!GeraldineVIPDined on 7/16/2014The food was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed my meal and would return to Dhaba again! One thing I liked especially is that even though it was very busy, the servers did not try to rush us out - we received proper service throughout. They allowed us to tell them when we were ready to leave. I loved that about our dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacks attentive serviceseedofapoetVIPDined on 7/11/2014The food, for the price and location, is pretty good, tasty even; the service, however, leaves much to be desired. It is slow, non-attentive, and virtually non-existent after you've ordered. It wasn't that great prior to ordering, but even worse after the fact; it's a shame because the food is actually very good.
- Excellent!!!luv2eatDined on 7/5/2014Dhaba came highly recommended by a friend and it did not disappoint. The food was fabulous; flavorful and plentiful. The service was absolutely terrific; the waitstaff provided recommendations and the chef personally ensured we were ready to receive our freshly prepared meal as ordered. Dhaba will definitely be on our restaurant agenda when we return to NYC. It is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 383 reviews are from the Dhaba reviews archive.
- Dinner on 6/14/2014dees614Dined on 6/14/2014Had a fabulous meal there. Food was great and service excellent. Would definitely go againSpecial Features:
- Always deliciousRahRahDined on 6/7/2014The food at Dhaba is consistently great. This is our go to Indian restaurant in the city. We will be back again the next time we need our indian fix.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014The food was delicious! A modern atmosphere, but energetic and appeared popular. Try the cauliflower appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian foodFoodieDined on 5/24/2014Chose it because it was full of Indian people in this area with MANY choices... Very happy I did! Food was great and ambiance relaxed but livelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food as always, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/21/2014My previous experiences at Dhaba were the lunch buffet(which is a great deal) and delivery. At dinner, the place is LOUD! Everyone in the restaurant was shouting to be heard over the loud, and unnecessary, techno music that was blasting out of the speakers. As the place was busy, service was slow (as opposed to lunch, when it was very attentive). We had to stand and wave our check to get it picked up, and even then it took a few attempts. In all fairness, I may be outside the target demographic for the dinner scene at Dhaba (I'm 55), as no one else seemed bothered by the noise. I will continue to enjoy the lunch buffet, and to have them deliver, but will probably not be an in-person dinner guest again anytime soon.
- Delicious,ChirsVIPDined on 5/17/2014The food is excellent. The prices are very reasonable. The specialty cocktails are fun. The servers are attentive. It is not fancy or stiff. It IS young, casual, fun, boisterous, slightly modern and hip. You won't have tons of space since they pack in the customers. Just know what you getting - a loud, packed place with superb food. My wife and I really enjoy this place. We stumbled across it initially and continue to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2014The noise level was unbearable, i could not hear the person sitting directly across from me. The food was good not great and the service was very rushed.
- Fabulous food, but hard to talkViaggiatoreDined on 5/15/2014The food is truly outstanding, and they actually believe you when you say you want "Indian Hot!" However, the music is thumping and far too loud for the space. Why do restaurants always try to clubs? We're there to eat and have a conversation, not dance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, way too loudHeatehrVIPDined on 5/10/2014We ate here on a Saturday evening and while the food was nice, I wished we had chosen a different spot. The noise level was ear splitting -- a table of rowdy( drunk?) college kids were acting like it was a private party and yelling back and forth. That wasn't the restaurant's fault, but the music got progressively louder until my friend and I were shouting at each other to have a conversation. Maybe we'll be back for lunch.
- Real Indian DhabaElegantlyDined on 4/20/2014Best place to dine. Must try the pani puri, And the Punjab the murg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvIndianFoodLuvIndianFoodDined on 4/19/2014Food is very good but didn't like the way drinks were made. Also it was too noisy....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in NYCwineNdineDined on 4/15/2014With a myriad of great restaurants of all food types, we were very lucky to find Dhaba. My husband and I love Indian food and found a quaint little place in the East Village on a previous visit, but Dhaba was superb. The staff was polite and efficient and we couldn't have had a better dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will nvr go back! The foodterribleDined on 4/12/2014Will nvr go back! The food was not good. The service was bad. It took forever for food to arrive.
- LivelyKazzybVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food was great at this place and as a Brit I especially appreciated the British Curry list at the end of the menu. BUT the music was so LOUD it pretty much ruined the experience. Unless I go with someone I don't want to communicate with over dinner, I won't be repeating the experience, which is a shame, because it was the best Indian food I have had in NYC.Special Features:
- All the favorites preparedBoboDined on 3/29/2014All the favorites prepared with nuanced differences, the biryani and lamb chops with ginger were our favorites, also, limited, but perfectly balanced beer and ale selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way better than expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2014The food was amazing, the service was really speedy, the cocktails were strong, and can I just reiterate how good the food was. Want to return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, great food!MAbadDined on 3/18/2014This is the second time I've been to Dhaba. Each time has been amazing! The food and drinks were delicious and the service staff and the manager was so helpful and serviceable! The manager even showed me and my friend the way to the 6 train after we finished our dinner. He went above and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do NOT go here for a quiet timeNotApplicableDined on 3/14/2014I don't understand why OpenTable refuses to put more than "Energetic" for a restaurant where you have to SCREAM!!!! at your fellow diners to have a normal conversation? The place is fine, it's good Indian food, probably the better of the places in Curry Hill, but, seriously, in winter, the place is ice cold (Dhaba owners, SPEND SOME MONEY AND FIX YOUR FRONT ENTRANCE!!!) and all-year-round, it's just so noisy you can't hear ANYONE you're with. I shy away from going there when anyone suggests it. Whenever you try to make a reservation using OpenTable, it NEVER shows as having a reservation open, yet, call the place directly, and you get a reservation for the time you want?? NOISY NOISY NOISY. DO NOT GO THERE FOR A QUIET MEAL.
- In the mood for Indian foodBookmomDined on 3/8/2014Great location, modern and clean and fun atmosphere. Food is always delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian food andDoctorjDined on 3/1/2014Excellent Indian food and service at a reasonable price. Try cauliflower app and chile chicken. Space is crowded and noisey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lighting was far too dim.NickVIPDined on 2/20/2014Required phone flashlight to view menu. Inattentive service. Had to ask to be served first cocktail.Special Features:
- Too Loud and Too DarkOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/7/2014When your waiter has to bring you a flashlight so you can read the menu, it's too dark. We also had to scream to hear each other. The food was good, the cosmos only passable. We ate here exactly one year ago and the place has lost something.Special Features:
- good food, good pricefipoDined on 1/26/2014One of the best curries in Manhattan. Unfortunately, too noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing taste and serviceShayDined on 1/18/2014I have personally made this Indian restaurant my favorite in the NYC area whenever I visit. It is my absolute go-to! Each dish that I have had is full of favor- the aroma of the food is beautiful and the presentation is great. Service is always timely and with a willingness to meet customer's needs. I would definitely recommend this spot to others!Special Features:
- Our first visit to Dhaba.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/14/2014Our first visit to Dhaba. Arrived at 9 to find the place jammed and very lively (no surprise) and our table ready (yay, as it was the only open table in the restaurant). Crowd lessened fairly steadily from then. When we left a bit after 11, we were two of very few folks left. No matter. Service was very good when the place was jammed and when it was nearly empty: fast even when jammed, and gracious even when they must have been anxious to be rid of us. Food was uniformly very good, reasonably inventive. Portions are larger than they look, so be careful. The tables are close together, not offensively so but resulting in lots of noise when the place is full. Lighting is very dim: one needs a flashlight to look at the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent spot on "Curry Hill"JennDined on 1/12/2014I went to Dhaba on a Sunday afternoon for a friend's birthday. They offer the buffet at this time which is great because you can try many different options. The food was excellent and had a ton of flavor. They also bring naan and chick tandoori to the table. The service was pretty good but I didn't order anything extra and just drank water. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.